Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I remember being very underwhelmed by Emma's offensive Crafts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

I'm busy, and I'm having fun.

Stabbey_the_Clown posted:

Okay, so in the latest video, there was a come confusion about whether Crafts were "magic" or not. Magic usually refers to "orbal arts", which are always magic (ATS boosts, ADF resists). To keep it simple, trust the description about what it affects. If it says "attacks and crafts" it means all attacks and crafts. If it says "arts" it means all arts.

Crafts (and S-Crafts) are always non-elemental*, and will always count as crafts for the purposes of things which say they work on attacks and crafts, and the seal status effect. But certain Crafts (and S-Crafts) are labelled as "Magic Attack", which means they use the character's ATS stat to calculate their damage. (I am not sure if they use the target's DEF or ADF stat for the damage reduction part. I think they still use the DEF stat, but I'm not sure, I would need to run some tests. EDIT: It looks like "Magic Attack" crafts are resisted by a target's ADF stat.)

* (With exactly two exceptions, both for the same character in Sky the Third who had two different element-type S-Crafts.)

I can't speak for Fletcher, but when I said "magic attack" I specifically meant Ethereal Edge doing ATS damage, not crafts in general.

(sorry for crappy screenshot, not at home right now)

I think the source of my confusion was that it didn't show the usual RESIST popup. Maybe ATS DOWN fills the same slot and overwrote it?

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

Level 1 Thief posted:

I can't speak for Fletcher, but...

Yeah, I don't know poo poo about poo poo, which is why the inevitable yin to this LP's yang is when I run David through Unlimited Saga and my fluent Kawazu comes out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Level 1 Thief posted:

I can't speak for Fletcher, but when I said "magic attack" I specifically meant Ethereal Edge doing ATS damage, not crafts in general.

I think the source of my confusion was that it didn't show the usual RESIST popup. Maybe ATS DOWN fills the same slot and overwrote it?

Fair enough, I don't know that much about the mechanics or way it's coded. Maybe you're right and the ATS damage means the check for Deathblow never happens.

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

I remember being very underwhelmed by Emma's offensive Crafts

Yes, they're not very good.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
Ethereal Edge is definitely good, just very situational. It's very good for breaking defense, so if she's teamed with someone with a really high strength, she can almost guarantee an extra attack from that person. She pairs really well with Laura and Millium. She's usually better served by casting, but she's one of the best characters in the game when it comes to cleaning up random encounters with her crafts. My approach to random encounters is tossing as many multi-target crafts as I can at them until they're all dead. I shoot for "unscathed" in any random encounter I can get away with it in, even though I know it's a lovely XP modifier compared to others. Some kind of deep, personal hubris. Probably stems from my profound sense of inadequacy.

Her second offensive craft is... less... good. Even more situational, since it inflicts a really good, but easily resisted status ailment, but Elliot can hit the same status at 100% efficacy with his S-Break, which I never remember he can do, but probably should, because that would be handy.

CottonWolf posted:

Huh. I'd assumed that the "Magic Attack" crafts were defended by ADF (for no good reason, admittedly).

This is correct, not just for her crafts, but for her (and Elliot's!) basic attacks. Emma and Elliot are especially good at shredding golems and slimes. If you want to do something really funny, you can equip Emma with Laura's Brave quartz in Chapter 2, and she'll hit certain enemies for roughly twice as much damage as Fie and the boys will hit everything else in the chapter.

Level 1 Thief posted:

Honestly, and I'm just guessing at this point, but I think it might be a property of the tile, not the ATS down message. I don't have a save file anywhere near to confirm, but I don't think it tells you if something resists a Tile status, only if it resists one on a craft, spell or basic attack that's boosted by a quartz. Again, that's my best guess. Even I don't loving know. If anyone figures this out or does know, please share.

Okay, so in the latest video, there was a come confusion about whether Crafts were "magic" or not. Magic usually refers to "orbal arts", which are always magic (ATS boosts, ADF resists). To keep it simple, trust the description about what it affects. If it says "attacks and crafts" it means all attacks and crafts. If it says "arts" it means all arts

You know who really pisses me off? Kurt Nardin from Trails in the Sky. Motherfucker constantly announces "By my Arts!" before every move and he's clearly using crafts. :argh:

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

* (With exactly two exceptions, both for the same character in Sky the Third who had two different element-type S-Crafts.)

If you want to get technical, it's three exceptions actually. Another character in the Third also has an elemental S-Craft. It's space elemental, even though it has no real reason to be (since it involves using a sword to strike a single opponent's vitals), and most people don't even notice it because said character gets a much more damaging (and cooler looking) S-Craft very soon after joining the party.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

45. Legally Mandated Swimsuit Episode

As we begin chapter 4, a whole bunch of conflicts are heating up! Laura vs Fie! Bridget vs Alan! Jusis and Machias vs their forbidden brovalry! Emma vs her untangling web of lies! Elliot vs his masculinity! Beryl vs THEM!

"You must be sniffing roses in the garden of delusions" is probably a top 5 Jusis line.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 09:54 on Dec 19, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Erpy posted:

If you want to get technical, it's three exceptions actually. Another character in the Third also has an elemental S-Craft. It's space elemental, even though it has no real reason to be (since it involves using a sword to strike a single opponent's vitals), and most people don't even notice it because said character gets a much more damaging (and cooler looking) S-Craft very soon after joining the party.

It's space because you need to warp space to fit that much blood into a human body.

~ RE: "Machias' dad is hot" That voice is really great.

~ Speaking of voices, Alfin and Fie have the same voice actress. If I listen for it, I can hear it, but it surprised me when I found out, nonetheless. (Olivert and George also share a voice actor. Rufus shares a VA with a character we haven't met yet)

~ And one more voice comment: Matthew Mercer does a really good job imitating whoeverthefuck did Olivier's VA in Trails in the Sky.

~ The summer uniforms are just.... underwhelming. And Everyone looks like a flight attendant, especially Elliot.

~ They're also color coded for the classes--- it's the ties. Nobles wear purple ties, Class VII wears red, and commoners wear green. The same colors that they have on the normal uniforms. Kenneth, Bridget and Edel are all nobles, and you saw all three of them.

~ Elliot and Alan really should have been combined into one, more interesting character, instead of a one-note party member and yet another NPC.

~ Don't be embarrassed about not knowing game mechanics. I pretend to be an expert, but I had beaten this game (and CS2, mind) twice before I learned, on the third play-through, there was a dedicated "Run faster" button. Before, I would just run and turbo mode.

~ drat it, I actually have a fourth VA comment, but I guess it's a spoiler. Not about plot or anything important, but.... You're very, very close to what Lambert actually sounds like.

~ Holy poo poo there's a back gate. Nearly 200 hours, never saw the back gate.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Alfin is kinda a very hit-or-miss character. I like Alfin just fine most of the time when she's on her own, but she becomes just intolerable when paired with Elise (not a spoiler, we saw them together already at the Heimdallr train station).
- "It's Rean." - That's how the series works.
- ...Now I'm imagining the contents of that letter being "Dear Miss Schwarzer" then just Dickbutt.
- You've also sucessfully guessed Elise's one and only character trait.

- Elliot is always in last place. It's physically impossible for Rean to lose to Elliot in the swim race even if he misses every prompt.
- "Look at Elliot's character model: no defining features whatsoever". Yeah, that tracks. ... Veryslightlymad is on to something, I think. Elliot would be a LOT more interesting if he and Alan were merged into one character. Except for how he could attend both Wind Orchestra and fencing clubs at once. But yeah. Alan actually has a character arc.
- If Gaius and Elliot wanted to say something, they should have said something earlier.
- It takes a few tries to get the timing down. Sara is fast through, so you can't afford any misses, and need some "Greats". You get 3 AP for winning.
- I think Rean meant the competition will be one to watch.

- 29:06 - The only Class VII boy allowed to hang out alone with a female classmate is Rean. If the player likes that classmate, we can't have the player thinking that another boy might be moving in on their "waifu".
- The pouch is where they keep their ARCUS units. There's one other notable change about the summer outfits that only Rean and another classmate share. And I do mean share. There's even some bonus content I'll share with the thread about that.
- "You think Sharon's so annoying, but have to admit that she's really good, then you get more mad..." :allears: Welcome to Alisa's life.
- "Come on Emma, give me a break. We've had two chapters of this..." Oh, you sweet summer child.
- The game doesn't let you miss that scene with Emma and the cat.
- "I'm the one who didn't realize a character had a bust until a cutscene called it out." Is that a reference to Persona 4?
- In Chapter 4, because Celine is unavailable here for obvious reasons, she gets milk on the Free Day and on the evening of the Free Day. (Normally she only gets milk once at the start of a chapter and once sometime on a free day)
- I don't know what Sara's age is, but 25 is probably close. She's definitely not as young as 19.

Free Day Bonding Events
- There's no actual spoilers under these tags, but I decided I didn't want to nudge you towards certain events if that wasn't your preference. It's your playthrough, after all.
- Emma's is... it's uh, something else, all right.
- Alisa's is funny in part for what Sharon does, and her comments after. This one is more of a "setting up romance" one, though.
- Sara's event is pretty good too.
- Fie's event might be a shade creepy. Just a shade. You'll see why before you get the option to pick it.
- Laura's event is in the evening and worth seeing as well for her state of mind.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Dec 19, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

- "Look at Elliot's character model: no defining features whatsoever". Yeah, that tracks. ... Veryslightlymad is on to something, I think. Elliot would be a LOT more interesting if he and Alan were merged into one character. Except for how he could attend both Wind Orchestra and fencing clubs at once. But yeah. Alan actually has a character arc.

He wouldn't. You make him attend one, then the other, or just the fencing club. Hypothetical Alliot would, despite his love of music, either be too intimidated by Bridget, the girl he loves, to be in the same club as her, or he's in the fencing club in a misguided idea of what it is to be a man, trying to impress her or his dad, or both. Or he's in the wrong club at first for both reasons. It gives another party member a direct conflict with Patrick as the cherry on top. The Alan/Bridget dynamic of Alan clearly being in love with her but finding it hopeless works way better with the overarching theme of the first game, about all the ways Erebonia's two classes are interacting. Eventually have the hypothetical character either go up against Patrick with the orbal staff instead of a sword he was never going to be good at anyhow, or have him win Patrick over with the power of music. Late game spoiler: Hell you can even essentially keep Patrick's scene from the festival, where he's literally the first person in the audience to join in your song. It would arguably be more meaningful that way.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- You forgot Elliot during your summary on the title screen. The fact that you're forgetting about him already is not a good sign for Rean's poor little bro.

- "I think we got a real hot dad problem in this series." You haven't even met the best dad yet. :allears:

- Vivi and Linde are in the same class, so of course people know. Though I'm not sure how many people know how often Vivi's doing her dress-up act.

- Sara's 25, btw. The official age at which point the Japanese can start calling you a Christmas Cake, the age at which most JRPG's start treating you as someone whose best time is behind them and the age at which Trails JRPG's start turning you into a genuine badass.

Veryslightlymad posted:

~ And one more voice comment: Matthew Mercer does a really good job imitating whoeverthefuck did Olivier's VA in Trails in the Sky.

That would be Troy Baker, IIRC. He got slightly more expensive in the years between Sky FC's development and the recording sessions for Cold Steel I.

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

The most unbelievable thing about the entire series is the idea that Sara would find it difficult to get dates.

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

- "I'm the one who didn't realize a character had a bust until a cutscene called it out." Is that a reference to Persona 4?

Nah, it was me making fun of myself for legit not noticing Emma was curvy until the event with Rean highlighted it.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

CottonWolf posted:

The most unbelievable thing about the entire series is the idea that Sara would find it difficult to get dates.

No, it's that Irina has a soul somewhere in there.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

46. The Boys of Summer

Rean attempts to motivate a bummed out classmate. It could go better.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
- Rean remorselessly throwing Sara under the Thomas-shaped bus for all the crap he's had to put up with from her will never not be funny.

- It's not really the whole country that's marked on the map in Sara's room, just eastern Erebonia where the first two games take place.

- Sneaker-collecting is an actual hobby in the Trails games. See the twin-tailed exhibit A from Trails in the Sky.

- Far be it from me to comment on your priorities, but 20 U-materials for one piece of gear with no practical value?

- You actually still want to drop by with Bridget and Alan at the dormitories despite what the notebook says. (it'll allow you, among other things, to immediately claim your reward)

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Erpy posted:

- Rean remorselessly throwing Sara under the Thomas-shaped bus for all the crap he's had to put up with from her will never not be funny.

If pushing Joshua and Estelle together is the national passttime of Liberl, dunking on Sara is the national passttime of Erebonia

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
A video this week? Christmas did come early!

- You're right that technically, the field studies don't formally have someone in charge. Personally, I think the first name in the team lists is the unofficial commander. There's a subtle moment done without dialogue this chapter which seems to suggest that I'm not totally off-base.
- That voice for Thomas is absolutely the perfect choice, especially as you hear more from Thomas.
- Hang out in the dorms is an option you have every night before a free day. You can skip it - unless you did not go to the Academy field and see Emma and Celine's conversation. If you missed that, you must stop by Emma's room at night in the dorms before Rean will go back to bed.
- My desktop is currently set to Gaius's finished painting.
- I'm going to interpret Fie's use of sleep in the literal, not euphemistic sense. She's probably used to sleeping in the same room as others from her time in the Jaegers. (Not to mention Sara enforced that everyone had to sleep in the same room in Chapter 1.) Fie doesn't seem to flirt or even show much interest in romance.
- There will be a little information on Emma's relationship to the main religion later.
- The photo in Sharon's room is of Alisa, naturally.
- There actually is a hangover eliminating drug in the Trails universe. Or rather, it's one which prevents you from getting drunk in the first place. It's an old recipe from the church. There was a quest involving it in Sky SC.

- Chess Tournament and the Wind Orchestra concert are both next month, and are both recommended watching (at least from me).
- Rean shouldn't have simply assumed that Bridget's family isn't a bunch of stuck-up aristos, his family isn't like that.
- Normal battles which play by the standard rules aren't that tough. But watch out for special cases, those can really kick your rear end if you're not ready
- Funny how Rean's mind went totally blank after Rex said that. Simmer down, Schwarzer.
- An additional quest appearing after completing two others happens a couple times.
- Definitely do visit Alan and Bridget.

Erpy posted:

- Far be it from me to comment on your priorities, but 20 U-materials for one piece of gear with no practical value?

So much for upgrading quartz and/or accessories, I guess.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 18:51 on Dec 23, 2019

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)

I myself didn't even think about that, but was thinking about the next batch of weapon. Next field study's team is rather tilted towards the physical side of battle and for 20 U-materials you can probably upgrade their entire arsenal (or close to it), giving you evasion boosts for two members, faint chance for others, a power boost for everyone and a decent arts bonus for the remaining member.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

Erpy posted:

no regrets

- Normal battles which play by the standard rules aren't that tough. But watch out for special cases, those can really kick your rear end if you're not ready

Y'know, I'm usually willing to take full responsibility for the fights that go way bad but this one really doesn't feel like my fault. There's no indication you're going to fight, you can't back out, you only have one real party member who's never gonna be specced for healing and you're saddled with a guy who apparently could really use an accuracy buff and try to get him to land the finishing blow. Alan, you'd better appreciate this.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Really who cares, this game isn't hard enough where you have to make smart choices with your resources, especially on Normal. Just have fun.

Oh and one note, unfortunately CS3 is still full of conversations where only some characters are voiced, even in the English version. CS1/2 PC's dub really spoiled us.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013

Level 1 Thief posted:

Y'know, I'm usually willing to take full responsibility for the fights that go way bad but this one really doesn't feel like my fault. There's no indication you're going to fight, you can't back out, you only have one real party member who's never gonna be specced for healing and you're saddled with a guy who apparently could really use an accuracy buff and try to get him to land the finishing blow. Alan, you'd better appreciate this.

Trails tends to be pretty bad at this, unfortunately. It tends to punk you with fights out of nowhere and sometimes you can get caught without any preparation.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

without love it cannot be seen

Erpy posted:

I may or may not always spend my U-materials to put cat ears on Fie.

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

Erpy posted:

I'd spend considerably more than this if I could equip Rean's Winter Casuals (his orange sweater, he only has the red one in CS1) without having to do an NG+

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Veryslightlymad posted:

I'd spend considerably more than this if I could equip Rean's Winter Casuals (his orange sweater, he only has the red one in CS1) without having to do an NG+

I was going to say that I did that on my first playthrough (which cost me a Dramatic Costume Switch Reveal), but then I remembered that was a NG+, so instead my question is "You played CS 2 more than once without starting with a NG+ save?"

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

I was going to say that I did that on my first playthrough (which cost me a Dramatic Costume Switch Reveal), but then I remembered that was a NG+, so instead my question is "You played CS 2 more than once without starting with a NG+ save?"

My solid state drive failed and I didn't have my cold steel info on the cloud. So I had to make my second run of CS2 outside of NG+

Edit:
I knew you were cool and good. Orange sweater forever.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

47. The Manway Methods

Rean gets several different kinds of manly things to consider before we dive headfirst into the old schoolhouse once again.

bonus

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
Regarding the text escaping their boxes, I'm pretty sure this is happening cause you're using the high-res font, which is a bit wider than the default one (which was used on PS3/Vita), and the scenes with the close-up faces have hardcoded textbox sizes for some reason. Would be nice if the PC port accounted for that though, yeah.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

It is less wide, but it looks like it still spills over, just not as often.

Level 1 Thief fucked around with this message at 05:26 on Dec 30, 2019

FrantzX
Jan 28, 2007

Admiral H. Curtiss posted:

Regarding the text escaping their boxes, I'm pretty sure this is happening cause you're using the high-res font, which is a bit wider than the default one (which was used on PS3/Vita), and the scenes with the close-up faces have hardcoded textbox sizes for some reason. Would be nice if the PC port accounted for that though, yeah.

If the scripting code is anything like the Crossbell games, all the linebreaks are hardcoded in the text.

Erpy
Jan 30, 2015
(insert title here)
Water arts also include arts like Tear, Teara, Tearal, Thelas and Athelas which heal and revive you. Also, Crystal Flood is a very good art because it hits in a wide line, does good damage and has a random chance to freeze enemies. Bells can be pretty good for spell casters if you have a slot to spare since it makes them act a lot faster.

Speaking of spellcasters, this floor is probably a very good one to have taken both Elliot and Emma to.

There's no switch for those shaky-looking pillars. They're an extension of the gameplay element that was introduced with Millium in the last chapter where characters whose weapons have a B or higher in the "crush"-weapon type can break certain obstacles on the map. (in this case Laura and Machias)

"Let me know when you see some critical bonusses for the duo quotes": two critical bonusses appear in one line and are promptly ignored.

Follow-up attacks ignore a whole bunch of things, attack range, special damage modifiers and the darkness ailment included.

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Also a Bell is always good if you're running an elemental master quartz on a caster. Fire Bell is good for the Criminal quartz, for example.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just want to say it's awesome that you actually kept a consistent release schedule up through the holidays. No one would have blinked if you took a couple weeks off even if it was recorded in a session weeks in advance. But doing it when recording one session at a time, it something else. So thanks a lot.

- Oh come on, don't sigh like that about Alan and Bridget. I know it feels like it's taken forever, but it's only Chapter 4. These things take timing. You can't just go from acting as if you hate someone to confessing that you like-LIKE them at the snap of a hat. (Calls out) Right, Alisa?!
- Wow. It must have been really bad to static out. Oh, right, it's probably talking about those creepy touching games on the Vita.
- We're just assuming that Emma is poor. I'm not sure, but I think it was mentioned that Emma is attending Thors on a scholarship grant.
- Yeah, the characters didn't get to see all the cutscenes focused in Heimdallr.
- Thors does have the first day of the festival off, actually. Not sure why Nicholas can't make it.
- Machias is not a bad choice for this bonding event, given some minor things which come up later. I forgot his line about the sumer festival too.
- When you record the alternate bonding options, be sure to talk to Sharon after Alisa's.

- I suppose this bonus quest does count a little as fanservice, if you're into guys. I think that this one is also a required prerequisite for another quest later.
- Rean isn't above white lies to spare the feelings of friends. It's impossible for Rean to place behind Elliot in the minigame at the Chapter start even if he misses every prompt. I'm not sure if that applies this time, though. Probably not, though.
- These little events where you can pick your partner give a little extra link XP. It's useful to shore someone up whose final event you want to see. It's getting close to the point where you'll want to start thinking about who you want Rean to form a strong bond with.
- Criminal is pretty good. I stuck that on Elliot on my first playthrough.
- The bells do work well for a specific build yes. Those specific builds tend to also need you to have a specific master quartz at level 5. I personally think a the strong candidate for best MQ + bell is the Angel level 5 + Golden Bell combination because of the synergy it has with the ATS-boosting Fortuna spell.
- Interesting note, you can't actually take both Laura and Fie with you this time. The second pick will refuse and you get kicked back to the party select menu.
- No field studies put both Elliot and Emma in the party.
- Correct, Either Emma, Gaius, or Rean (in that order) will note the feeling of the higher elements being active. It's a mild version, though, you don't get the different turn bonuses.

I've done at least 3 LP's (mostly screenshot, but with supplemental videos) before I discovered that I hadn't muted the line-in from the microphone, and that was producing an annoying low-level static that I can't unhear watching my old videos.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Dec 31, 2019

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
I don't have a lot of comments for this video, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one:

~ Partway through the early part of the dungeon, something clicked in your head about the battle system and you noticeably got quite a bit better. Good work. (Still gotta toss out those Lullabys, though. A sleeping enemy is both an enemy that won't attack you, and is a guaranteed critical hit. Hits a sizable radius.)

Cyouni
Sep 30, 2014

Veryslightlymad posted:

I don't have a lot of comments for this video, but I'd be remiss if I didn't mention one:

~ Partway through the early part of the dungeon, something clicked in your head about the battle system and you noticeably got quite a bit better. Good work. (Still gotta toss out those Lullabys, though. A sleeping enemy is both an enemy that won't attack you, and is a guaranteed critical hit. Hits a sizable radius.)

I only really started using Lullaby on my recent Nightmare run, and wow it's strong. It's also good for selectively getting pair quotes, because of the guaranteed crit.

AncientSpark
Jan 18, 2013
In general, status effects are ridiculous in Trails, starting from Sky 3rd. Unlike in a lot of other JRPGs, status effects in Trails have absurd base chances of 70-100% chance and just completely obliterate anything that doesn't have good resists to them. It was even worse before Cold Steel cause status resists before then were all-or-nothing.

AncientSpark fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Jan 2, 2020

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction

AncientSpark posted:

In general, status effects are ridiculous in Trails, starting from Sky 3rd. Unlike in a lot of other JRPGs, status effects in Trails have absurd base chances of 70-100% chance and just completely obliterate anything that doesn't have good resists to them. It was even worse before Cold Steel cause status resists before then were all-or-nothing.

As far back as Sky 1.
I still don't know how to beat the first fight against the intelligence committee goons without confusing at least one of them.

Level 1 Thief
Dec 17, 2007

HEY SPEAKING OF DEBUFFS

48. Speed Limit

Events in the old schoolhouse leave the party very confused. Especially Machias.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
- Oh thank goodness for a new update, I've had a stress headache since last night and need to think about something else.

- This boss has super-high DEF, it's to remind you that Arts exist. Luckily, the game keeps you from bringing both Fie and Laura. Also luckily, you brought a good magic team, with the strongest casters, Jusis who can buff ATS and lower enemy ADF, and Machias who can restore EP.
- Unluckily, these assholes confuse and lower your SPD, so they can stall you pretty well.
- Good job coming up with the "constantly Chrono Drive" strategy, that worked well.
- Dragon Vision only works on things the user kills.
- I really don't think that there's any point using anything less than the very best rod you have. (By the way, you should probably check with Kenneth again the next time you're able to, you surely have enough FP for the third and final rod.)
- That is indeed Towa's whole thing. Works hard, looks 12.
- It's notable that Rean is one of the few people who does not have an interest.
- There's almost never anyone on the second floor of the Gym.
- "Hospital or Assassinations"? :allears: You will learn the answer to that burning question by the end of the game.
- Huh, you're right, he was called "President". I never noticed that mistake until now.
- Celine is on the rooftop and will take some more milk.

Stabbey_the_Clown fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Jan 4, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veryslightlymad
Jun 3, 2007

I fight with
my brain
and with an
underlying
hatred of the
Erebonian
Noble Faction
~ You actually can damage them with Machias/Laura hitting their defense down (defense down on the boss will do more for your damage than Str up will, at the level of defense the boss actually has) and Rean/Jusis delaying them----but you're much better off doing exactly what you did. This is, without a doubt, the best enemy in the game to use magic against.

~ Elliot will never have a really good pitch. 100% of all his interactions boil down to "Elliot likes music" Kenneth Lakelord somehow has more personality than Elliot. You know, the fishing guy.

~ Edel is pronounced with a hard A. It rhymes with "Ladle"