Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Star Wars has loving never been good. The closest it got is ESB and the first half of ANH.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

aren't the first order supposed to be neo-nazis or the alt-right or whatever? rose's message is that i shouldn't hate those groups?

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I just laughed remembering the one line in this movie where someone asks why people aren’t all doing the “Holdo manoeuvre” like dude that was a suicide run that also destroyed a major resistance ship as well as the star destroyer (this is not the reason he is given in the movie)

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Pollyanna posted:

Kelly Marie Tran is Vietnamese I thought?

Chinas oldest friends! :v:

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Escobarbarian posted:

another thing I’m baffled about in this movie (I’m baffled about a lot in this movie) is that they introduced this idea of the force also having this like, life force healing energy magic, and make it absolutely integral to the plot. like it’s not midi-chlorians levels of bad but it’s close.

well to be fair to these terrible films, that's kind of what sheev tells anakin

but then we slam into the baffling point of how rey and kylo can just kind of do it when no one else but plagueis had done it

(snoke was intended to be plagueis)

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.
SCRAPPY DOO HAS BEEN FOUND DEAD IN MIAMI would genuinely have been a better opening crawl

ErrEff
Feb 13, 2012

Brother Entropy posted:

aren't the first order supposed to be neo-nazis or the alt-right or whatever? rose's message is that i shouldn't hate those groups?

Well, you see, Disney doesn't want to upset anyone that might buy a ticket... so actually, shades of gray, silver linings, two sides to every story, etc.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Horizon Burning posted:

well to be fair to these terrible films, that's kind of what sheev tells anakin

but then we slam into the baffling point of how rey and kylo can just kind of do it when no one else but plagueis had done it

(snoke was intended to be plagueis)

That also assumes Palp wasn't lying about Plagueis's ability to manipulate Anakin.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Pick posted:

I didn't watch the last Jedi but I am truly shocked but Ray and fin arent getting together Because it is really obviously how it was set up to happen?? But much like Disney would never release Zootopia in today's environment, I think they realized that they would like to buckle down on the tacit racism

I didn’t really read much romantic tension between them in the first movie. They act more like kids who are each other’s first friend at school.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

Quantum Shart posted:

SCRAPPY DOO HAS BEEN FOUND DEAD IN MIAMI would genuinely have been a better opening crawl

Well, yeah. That's the sort of event that leads to a celebratory holiday.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost
That assumes that anybody cares about some guy who is name dropped a single time in the prequels that nobody's seen in 15 years

Asgerd
May 6, 2012

I worked up a powerful loneliness in my massive bed, in the massive dark.
Grimey Drawer

Quantum Shart posted:

Actually the message is to fight for things you love and not against things that you hate. But go off against the best of the sequel tril

what is the practical difference here

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Finn is really horny for Rey in TFA and then in the early parts of TLJ before Johnson had him grow beyond that but then for most of TRoS he’s just really horny for Rey again because Abrams and Disney are cowards

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

The only positive sentiment I can find on TROS is:

- Fun
- Climactic ending to saga
- "Wow"
- Nostalgia
- I love Sbar Warb
- I'm a Spor Dwor fan
- I cried

I can't find anything that praises story, writing, characters, cinematography, etc. No specifics whatsoever. All the negative sentiment is very specific.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

I mean Plagueis may have been nothing more than just a fake story to tell Anakin.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

Raccooon posted:

That also assumes Palp wasn't lying about Plagueis's ability to manipulate Anakin.

Well in the wide world of information that isn't in the movie but was part of production materials or intended beats that got dropped, he absolutely wasn't and is also Sheev is probably Anakin's dad. Which would explain why Rey and Ben have such a strong connection, as they are cousins. And also because the Palpatines and Skywalkers and Solos are all trashbag families, why they want to gently caress.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Finn wants the good girl, but he needs the bad pussy.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Pick posted:

That assumes that anybody cares about some guy who is name dropped a single time in the prequels that nobody's seen in 15 years

i mean, the whole rey palpatine thing in this new one revolves around sheev's little speech about plagius being able to create life in episode 3

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

General Dog posted:

I didn’t really read much romantic tension between them in the first movie. They act more like kids.

Also, Finn gets Worfed whenever either of them face any danger in order to establish that the heroes are indeed in peril.

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Oh yeah, baby. Frame your suffering as a masterpiece. Only one problem - no one's watching. It's boring, buddy, boring as death.

Asgerd posted:

what is the practical difference here

I'm 5 pints in and you haters are still biting at 2 year old bait

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mulva posted:

Well in the wide world of information that isn't in the movie but was part of production materials or intended beats that got dropped, he absolutely wasn't and is also Sheev is probably Anakin's dad. Which would explain why Rey and Ben have such a strong connection, as they are cousins. And also because the Palpatines and Skywalkers and Solos are all trashbag families, why they want to gently caress.

I'm movies only for canon.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

Hell, it would have been cooler (and made more sense) if it turned out that Rey was Qui-Gon Jinn's descendant. Hell, even Dooku's.

Amethyst
Mar 28, 2004

I CANNOT HELP BUT MAKE THE DCSS THREAD A FETID SWAMP OF UNFUN POSTING
plz notice me trunk-senpai

General Dog posted:

I didn’t really read much romantic tension between them in the first movie. They act more like kids who are each other’s first friend at school.

No really. Go watch TFA again. THere's even a scene where old man Han smirks about Finns boyish crush and offers advice on how to woo her. It's really, REALLY obvious.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Escobarbarian posted:

I just laughed remembering the one line in this movie where someone asks why people aren’t all doing the “Holdo manoeuvre” like dude that was a suicide run that also destroyed a major resistance ship as well as the star destroyer (this is not the reason he is given in the movie)

Having the resistance decide that it is more effective to basically drone warfare the First Order than deal with being horribly outmatched and outgunned in space fights would've been interesting but probably a little too on the nose.

General Dog posted:

Finn is definitely portrayed as enamored with her. Rey's feeling could go either way but also she just has a more pressing/driving mission (figure out Force stuff, find parents) that overrides all of that.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:38 on Dec 19, 2019

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Amethyst posted:

No really. Go watch TFA again. THere's even a scene where old man Han smirks about Finns boyish crush and offers advice on how to woo her. It's really, REALLY obvious.

Yeah Finn has a schoolboy crush on her because she’s the likely first woman his age he’s ever spoken to but there’s no reciprocation (I’m actually watching it right now)

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Amethyst posted:

Like literally his driving force in that movie.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

General Dog posted:

Yeah Finn has a schoolboy crush on her because she’s the likely first woman his age he’s ever spoken to but there’s no reciprocation (I’m actually watching it right now)

There are female storm troopers now

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Bogus Adventure posted:

Hell, it would have been cooler (and made more sense) if it turned out that Rey was Qui-Gon Jinn's descendant. Hell, even Dooku's.

This was honestly my first guess in TFA. Either QGJ or Kenobi, neither of which are more illogical or nonsensical than her being Palp's grandkid.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Dec 19, 2019

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

After she and her grandfather Palpatine literally destroyed everything the Skywalkers were, right down to their bloodline, she finishes the job by stealing even the family name and legacy.

The Star Wars movies have literally become the story of the genocide of one family--a family that fights for justice--by one that wrought the worst horrors upon the galaxy.

What a timeline. I want to get back to my own world now, please.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

the best thing ever posted in cined was when SMG compared the maturity level of the ST protagonists to sonic characters

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Boyega please abandon Star Wars and make attack the block 2...

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Bogus Adventure posted:

Qui-Gon Jinn also a dead beat dad.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I'm seeing a lot of people blaming Rise of Skywalker being lovely on...The Last Jedi. Of course.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

Brother Entropy posted:

the best thing ever posted in cined was when SMG compared the maturity level of the ST protagonists to sonic characters

Paracausal
Sep 5, 2011

Can't believe they outsourced the narrative team to Reddit

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pollyanna posted:

I'm seeing a lot of people blaming Rise of Skywalker being lovely on...The Last Jedi. Of course.

Weird, I think the most popular critical take has been blaming Rise of Skywalker on the fans who didn’t like Last Jedi. “You MANCHILDREN didn’t appreciate TLJ forging such a brave new path, so Disney had no choice but to serve you up this slop! Do you enjoy this slop, you piggy fucks?”

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Pick posted:

THERE are female Stormtroopers now!?

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

John Wick of Dogs posted:

THERE are female Stormtroopers now!?

they're flygirls now

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Pick posted:

You don’t poo poo where you eat

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

General Dog posted:

Weird, I think the most popular critical take has been blaming Rise of Skywalker on the fans who didn’t like Last Jedi. “You MANCHILDREN didn’t appreciate TLJ forging such a brave new path, so Disney had no choice but to serve you up this slop! Do you enjoy this slop, you piggy fucks?”

That's critics - I'm reading the hashtag.