Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

Shibawanko posted:

I'm not a native speaker but overall I sound American with some British pronunciations, like I say schedule with a soft sch sound. Probably sounds kinda weird and incongruent but who cares tbh it's just what I grew into through movies

what's your native tongue?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Whiz Palace
Dec 8, 2013
My coworker has coughed 119 times since 9:30 (it's currently 12:03).

He coughed two more times as I was typing this.

edit: should add that this is normal for him. Though I still prefer this to the guy who once cleared his throat 104 times in an eight-hour day since at least coughing is involuntary.

Whiz Palace has a new favorite as of 18:08 on Dec 16, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ulex minor posted:

what's your native tongue?

Dutch

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Chip McFuck posted:

There were a lot of really neat ideas and cool imagery presented at the final stage, but you know which one got published? A badly traced image of doctors performing open heart surgery with the city skyline sticking out of the patients chest.

I'm choosing to believe that the skyline is bursting out with a spray of viscera a la Alien

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

My condolences

InediblePenguin
Sep 27, 2004

I'm strong. And a giant penguin. Please don't eat me. No, really. Don't try.
dutch has some sounds that american english doesn't but every time i listen to a large group of dutch speakers i feel like i'm hearing a whole bunch of upstate new yorkers talking in the next room and i can't quite make out what they're saying. like the vowel sounds seem very similar overall, and the cadence and poo poo

which makes sense given who colonized here i guess

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Congratulations for driving sensibly while in the school zone.
That doesn't mean you should speed like a demon the second you are out of it!
Children are still crossing the road, what the gently caress is wrong with you?

The Mighty Moltres
Dec 21, 2012

Come! We must fly!

Double post, sorry.

A different peeve to make up for it:

The Doobie Brothers have only just been nominated for a place in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame.
They should already be there.

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

i think dutch accents are beautiful and you probably don't sound very american at all

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

ulex minor posted:

i think dutch accents are beautiful and you probably don't sound very american at all

My friend from California told me I could pass for American but I'm also an English teacher and stuff. I agree that the regular Dutch accent is cool but I only slightly have it maybe

docbeard
Jul 19, 2011

The pastor of the church I attended while growing up was from the Netherlands by way of Canada, and his accent was fantastic.

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

My wife loves to keep random super important notes (mostly addresses and phone numbers) on old papers, like receipts, napkins, margins of newspapers... Then I get yelled at when I try to clean up one day and then I get a text the next morning asking if I threw out a torn-up and stained envelope that's been on the coffee table for the last three weeks.

If it's that important then loving write it in your phone or put the random piece of paper on your desk or something!!! :argh:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

DizzyBum posted:

My wife loves to keep random super important notes (mostly addresses and phone numbers) on old papers, like receipts, napkins, margins of newspapers... Then I get yelled at when I try to clean up one day and then I get a text the next morning asking if I threw out a torn-up and stained envelope that's been on the coffee table for the last three weeks.

If it's that important then loving write it in your phone or put the random piece of paper on your desk or something!!! :argh:

I honestly feel like anyone who is "jotting notes" when there're cloud-connected writing devices almost always in our hands is secretly hoping the note will disappear and somehow absolve them of responsibility. You know how to save information conveniently, your plausible deniability just evaporates when you actually do it!

Same reason I mentally write off anyone who doesn't immediately pull out their phone to put plans in their calendar: they didn't really want to do what we discussed, and are hoping I'll remember the enthusiasm of the moment as the actuality quietly vanishes.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

DizzyBum posted:

I can understand how annoying this is but as someone who does similar things, I think it's just a better policy if nobody touches each other's poo poo unless they ask beforehand. If it's something extreme and it needs to be cleaned up urgently, that person should do it. Every time I visit home I put something in a stupid place and my extremely forgetful stepdad will move it without asking the first time I'm out of the house and forget where he puts it and it gets lost for the next 5-10 years. I had to get a replacement birth certificate last time he did this. Yeah it would be better if I/they just stopped being careless with important stuff, but...nah.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I think it's just a better policy if nobody touches each other's poo poo unless they ask beforehand. If it's something extreme and it needs to be cleaned up urgently, that person should do it. Every time I visit home I put something in a stupid place and my extremely forgetful stepdad will move it without asking the first time I'm out of the house and forget where he puts it and it gets lost for the next 5-10 years. I had to get a replacement birth certificate last time he did this. Yeah it would be better if I/they just stopped being careless with important stuff, but...nah.
Tidying his own house? What a bastard.

Dip Viscous
Sep 17, 2019

I still write notes on paper, but I keep the notes with me in a memo pad so that they can actually be used as notes instead of scattering them throughout the house. An address I wrote down doesn't do me any good if it's on a piece of paper on my nightstand 30 miles away.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I’m the person calling up anyone who’s been in my home recently to ask if the gum wrapper stuck to the floor in a layer of spilled beer is garbage or contains important note written by the former owner that I should definitely go out of my way to save instead of them changing their disgusting nonsense habits

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I am someone who lives with family who does not at all respect other peoples' privacy. My grandma does not allow me or my grandpa to do laundry because we will "mess up her settings on the washing machine", which is ridiculous but no amount of arguing will convince her that I know how technology works better than she does without even having touched it before so whatever. She uses these kinds of things as an excuse to just go into my room when I'm at my college classes or otherwise and move things around, throw things away, and generally touch my stuff. In the process she manages to accidentally turn off my computer, throw away mail that is specifically in a small container labeled 'mail', pill bottles that still have pills in them ("I thought I would take them to the pharmacy to be disposed of safely!") and so on and so on. I keep a very tidy room so I don't know why she does this, but short of getting a padlock to put on my door when I go out I won't be able to keep her from doing it.

So I understand where yeah I eat rear end is coming from when they take a hardline stance on not touching other people's stuff without asking. Being tidy is a learned skill and if you teach someone to be tidy you won't have the problem of them writing on random junk and then being surprised when it is treated like junk to be thrown out. However, if someone isn't a tidy person and has their own idea of when things are orderly, it's a pain in the rear end to suddenly have to live your life around that because the other party won't just get organized, so I also understand DizzyBum's frustration.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 09:43 on Dec 18, 2019

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

Tidying his own house? What a bastard.

It's a shared house, or a house with guests when i'm there. Neither one of us owns it (especially since in this specific example he didn't pay anything for the house, he just lives there). And there's a difference between tidying and indiscriminately scooping up paper and throwing it out or shoving it in the back of a random closet.

A reasonable person would gather everything in a neat pile, say "hey this is your stuff, throw it out or put it somewhere that isn't here".

yeah I eat ass has a new favorite as of 23:02 on Dec 18, 2019

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

It's a shared house, or a house with guests when i'm there. Neither one of us owns it (especially since in this specific example he didn't pay anything for the house, he just lives there). And there's a difference between tidying and indiscriminately scooping up paper and throwing it out or shoving it in the back of a random closet.

A reasonable person would gather everything in a neat pile, say "hey this is your stuff, throw it out or put it somewhere that isn't here".

A reasonable person sees the difference between "stuff that deserves to be in a neat pile" and "random pieces of literal trash that could just as easily be blowing down the street on a windy day"

If you live with people that aren't your spouse, and hell I've never been married but I might even say that are your spouse, you should not be writing anything important on garbage, or saving a special takeout cup that is very important to you, or whatever and then just leaving it around. If your poo poo gets thrown out in that case then good because you were a moron and a slob for expecting someone decent to stop and think "what if this month-old plastic grocery bag actually has my housemate's social security card and the phone number for their next job interview stashed inside?" If you care about garbage then put it in your own room.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

It's a shared house, or a house with guests when i'm there. Neither one of us owns it (especially since in this specific example he didn't pay anything for the house, he just lives there).
If you live there it's your house.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Tiggum posted:

If you live there it's your house.

That is a dumb statement even for Tiggum. So if I live in an apartment with someone else, I can pick their bedroom lock and just yeet their papers into the void because it's "my house"? That's not how it works.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.

That is a dumb statement even for Tiggum. So if I live in an apartment with someone else, I can pick their bedroom lock and just yeet their papers into the void because it's "my house"? That's not how it works.

That's not what he meant at all, and you're being an obtuse idiot.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Leavemywife posted:

That's not what he meant at all, and you're being an obtuse idiot.

It's not if you take Tiggum at this word, as he insists on taking everyone else while ignoring obvious social cues that most people would follow.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Well, maybe.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

The only reason we are having this argument is because tiggum did not read the post he responded to, and people read the tiggum post and assumed he was being reasonable, but that's not what he does. He fixates on a small part of the post and twists it into something it isn't.

"If you live there it is your house" is an idiotic statement, both in context and out of context.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

I think we're using two different definitions of living somewhere. I'm thinking of it in the sense that that's your primary residence, your mail goes there, that's where you can be found when not at work or running errands or just being out.

But I've lived places where it wasn't my house. It's like how my wife's sister is currently staying with us, but she's not living here.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

If you live in a house w/ roommates (I haven't and don't, thank loving god), I would imagine that everyone has the right to perceive the shared living spaces are equally "theirs," which means if the NEET mouldering away in his bedroom leaves Burger King accoutrement spread all over the living room / kitchen counter / bathroom floor that I can chuck it even if someone has written the Hamburglar's real and actual phone number on one of the wrappers.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Before you ask, yes, the Burger King and McDonaldland exist in the same universe and no, I am not going to explain it to you. Try attending grad school for a change

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

The only reason we are having this argument is because tiggum did not read the post he responded to, and people read the tiggum post and assumed he was being reasonable, but that's not what he does. He fixates on a small part of the post and twists it into something it isn't.

"If you live there it is your house" is an idiotic statement, both in context and out of context.
You're a guest. He lives there. It's his house. If you leave garbage lying around it's going to get thrown out, or at least put out of the way if you're very lucky.

If you're leaving stuff in your own space (eg. a guest bedroom while you're still staying there) then that's different, but the situation you seem to be describing is you leaving your papers in communal spaces of a house that you don't even live in and expecting the people who do live there to just leave them lying around in case they're important to you.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

This is a dumb statement even for yeah i eat rear end

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I'm with Tiggum, if you are a guest in someone else's house you have even less license to just leave stuff wherever you want. If you actually live there then it's a little more acceptable to leave things in a shared space, and even in both cases it's perfectly fine to do that if you just tell the person about what you are leaving around and why it shouldn't be moved. The solution to being surprised when others move your stuff around is to tell them not to move it.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

I'm in charge of cooking holiday treats for our local friends and family, and one family, who I love dearly one and all, is the most difficult set of food allergies and dietary preferences ever. Between the 6 of them they've got lactose intolerances, tree nut allergies, peanut allergies, gluten sensitivities, allergies to basically every fruit you can imagine, and one of them is on a paleo diet. I want to scream.

Edit: I guess my pet peeve is with god for pissing in this particular genetic pool. And it seriously couldn't have happened to nicer people.

Riatsala has a new favorite as of 18:30 on Dec 23, 2019

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

Also gently caress anyone and everything in, around, and having anything to do with grocery stores around the holidays

ulex minor
Apr 30, 2018

this is like watching a cat swat at its own reflection

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

I hate my idiot bitch human body that does things such as producing way more snot than i can reasonably account for while I'm sick and then waking me up at 3AM during a time when I'm already weak from being sick. Why does the body respond to the flu in such a dumb way, why must it be uncomfortable, can't it just make us very tired or something while producing antibodies?

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
I have a bunch of irritating intestinal disorders that act up completely at random and I am with you in spirit. Chronic pain is very frustrating because at some point there's nothing you can do, it just hurts when it wants to and you cannot predict it nor prevent it in any way. If you take the appropriate medicine and it doesn't work then oh well tough luck it's just gonna hurt until it's ready to stop. I spend hours just aching from the same pain caused by the same things every time and inside I'm just like "yes I know it hurts it's not normal you can stop telling me now". I wish there was a way to mentally just tell your body "yes I get it" when something is inflamed or irritated for long periods of time and the painful sensation would subside, but I get that that's not how it works.

CJacobs has a new favorite as of 20:46 on Dec 24, 2019

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CJacobs posted:

I have a bunch of irritating intestinal disorders that act up completely at random and I am with you in spirit. Chronic pain is very frustrating because at some point there's nothing you can do, it just hurts when it wants to and you cannot predict it nor prevent it in any way. If you take the appropriate medicine and it doesn't work then oh well tough luck it's just gonna hurt until it's ready to stop. I spend hours just aching from the same pain caused by the same things every time and inside I'm just like "yes I know it hurts it's not normal you can stop telling me now". I wish there was a way to mentally just tell your body "yes I get it" when something is inflamed or irritated for long periods of time and the painful sensation would subside, but I get that that's not how it works.

yeah i have IBS and i wish i could say "settle down Beavis it's just a red pepper" to my intestines

I also hate doctors who take their sweet time to diagnose things like that. Prolonged intestinal discomfort? Throw the person into an MRI or do a colonoscopy to rule out the worst and spare them the stress, why waste months with blood tests when there's a goddamned magical seeing machine? My home doctor is like that probably because he's some kind of orthodox protestant

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Yup I went through the exact same thing and it is torture. "Okay we need to schedule you for a test, I'll get it set up for a week from now and then see you in a month". mother fucker it's not just gonna magically stop hurting for a month while i wait

edit: Also, doctors who are overly hesitant to prescribe pure pain medication in interims like this are jerks. I have to wait a month without you prescribing anything at all to help the problem, does it not make sense to give me something to generally cope with the pain until then???

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shibawanko
Feb 13, 2013

CJacobs posted:

Yup I went through the exact same thing and it is torture. "Okay we need to schedule you for a test, I'll get it set up for a week from now and then see you in a month". mother fucker it's not just gonna magically stop hurting for a month while i wait

edit: Also, doctors who are overly hesitant to prescribe pure pain medication in interims like this are jerks. I have to wait a month without you prescribing anything at all to help the problem, does it not make sense to give me something to generally cope with the pain until then???

Yeah my doctor does that too, he's retired now fortunately and there's a younger lady

I think with that guy the thing was that I'm not a strongly emotive guy, I bottle poo poo up easily and don't express fear outwardly. I had to literally say "I am frightened by this, please check more thoroughly" to get through to him and even then he only checked my doo doo and didn't xray me or whatever

It was a small village so I suspect he was used to seeing whiny old people who put their foot down if they have back pain