Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Pope Corky the IX posted:

Ah yes, the 90s, when Warner Bros were putting Looney Tunes on loving everything.

I'm surprised there wasn't more Looney Tunes/WCW crossover, tbh

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

DJExile posted:

He's still all over truck mudflaps!

and the insides of white christian thighs!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

NikkolasKing posted:

I know WCW has internal problems forever but when did the numbers really start to fall in the Bischoff era? They were doing great business until '99, right?

April of 99.

Superbrawl 99 with Flair vs Hogan actually did more PPV buys than Austin vs McMahon. The WWF was winning ratings handily, but WCW was actually ahead with adults until after the fingerpoke.

But the rematch fell off at Uncensored, the April PPV fell even further, and by May they did 7,000 less fans in the TWA Dome than they did in a blizzard for a Nitro in December of 98. Things entered free fall that summer.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah, WCW was in no way in trouble with WWF ahead in the ratings, it was Eric's obsession with beating Vince, instead of ppv buys and house show attendance, that led to panic booking and the eventual death of the company.

They even had a mulligan in Goldberg, and hosed it up again. :negative:

frankenfreak
Feb 16, 2007

I SCORED 85% ON A QUIZ ABOUT MONDAY NIGHT RAW AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS LOUSY TEXT

#bastionboogerbrigade
"Chris "Keep Of The" Grass" is Chuckie-T-list-of-wrestler-names tier.

MrBling
Aug 21, 2003

Oozing machismo

MassRafTer posted:

April of 99.

Superbrawl 99 with Flair vs Hogan actually did more PPV buys than Austin vs McMahon. The WWF was winning ratings handily, but WCW was actually ahead with adults until after the fingerpoke.

But the rematch fell off at Uncensored, the April PPV fell even further, and by May they did 7,000 less fans in the TWA Dome than they did in a blizzard for a Nitro in December of 98. Things entered free fall that summer.

Spring Stampede 99 (the April ppv) was probably the best PPV they would have until the very end in 2001 when there was no real booking to care about. But I guess quality of show doesn't always correlate with buy rates.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Randaconda posted:

Yeah, WCW was in no way in trouble with WWF ahead in the ratings, it was Eric's obsession with beating Vince, instead of ppv buys and house show attendance, that led to panic booking and the eventual death of the company.

They even had a mulligan in Goldberg, and hosed it up again. :negative:

That's the thing, during 1998, while WCW is making bad long-term decisions and kinda stagnating, Nitro is usually still a good watch. But the desperate scramble to get back on top broke something in Bischoff and he just sorta forgot how to put on a good show. You start to see trouble near the end of the year (and Starrcade '98 is pretty bad overall, not just for the finish), and in 1999 the quality of the program just goes off a cliff. The fingerpoke is the earliest example but it gets worse.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

MrBling posted:

Spring Stampede 99 (the April ppv) was probably the best PPV they would have until the very end in 2001 when there was no real booking to care about. But I guess quality of show doesn't always correlate with buy rates.
Sixteen-year-old boy-version me was there and it was amazing.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

The frustrating thing is that right up to the end, WCW had some great talent. The last month of WCW shows had Lance Storm, Rey Jr, Billy Kidman, Shane Helms, Chavo, AJ Styles, Dustin Rhodes, Kanyon, DDP, and Kaz Hayashi. Granted, they had a lot of crap too, but there was potential.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Lamuella posted:

The frustrating thing is that right up to the end, WCW had some great talent. The last month of WCW shows had Lance Storm, Rey Jr, Billy Kidman, Shane Helms, Chavo, AJ Styles, Dustin Rhodes, Kanyon, DDP, and Kaz Hayashi. Granted, they had a lot of crap too, but there was potential.

thank god the world has learned and this will never happen again

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

oh but seriously I posted:

thank god the world has learned and this will never happen again

Yeah. Having the talent is one thing, but using them correctly is entirely another.

JohnnyHardcore
Jan 15, 2008

Yinlock posted:

it might not be so much a grudge as it is basic pattern recognition, feuding with hogan never turns out well for anyone but hogan

how rock got a good match out of him is still a loving mystery

"hey terr-bear, how'd you like The Rock to make sure you never appear in front of a running camera again?"

Angry_Ed
Mar 30, 2010

Grimey Drawer

I don't think the world is ready for a Supermarionation rendition of Pro Wrestling.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
It’s good that Vince and co didn’t put up with Hogan’s poo poo in his last run. Swerved him and didn’t give him the Brock rematch for him to win.

Shawn clowned everyone when he realized he wouldn’t get his win back. Then the next night came out to announce he’s a good guy again in the greatest turn since Austin/Hart at wm13.

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

The American Dream posted:

It’s good that Vince and co didn’t put up with Hogan’s poo poo in his last run. Swerved him and didn’t give him the Brock rematch for him to win.

Shawn clowned everyone when he realized he wouldn’t get his win back. Then the next night came out to announce he’s a good guy again in the greatest turn since Austin/Hart at wm13.

I have always wanted to know what Hulk thought of that Shawn match where Shawn mocks him by overselling.

Does Hulk think that Shawn made him look like a million dollars? Does he care at all? I mean he did go over. What about the next night when Shawn laughed off the entire match?

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money

BrigadierSensible posted:

I have always wanted to know what Hulk thought of that Shawn match where Shawn mocks him by overselling.

Does Hulk think that Shawn made him look like a million dollars? Does he care at all? I mean he did go over. What about the next night when Shawn laughed off the entire match?

i honestly don't think Hulk cares as long as he gets a clean pinfall. if anything, yeah, I think he'd see it as Shawn making him look like the immortal wrestling god he imagines himself to be

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I keep thinking about nWo Hollywood/nWo Wolfpac and it's problems.

First problem: Somehow a group that at one point encompassed half the workers on TV didn't have enough members to split into two in any meaningful sense. The Wolfpac involved THREE wrestlers leaving the nWo. Just three. Then Savage got injured. So two. Konan and Nash vs the drat world. Could they have, I don't know, stolen some more guys from the nWo to shore up the numbers?
Let's see.
Henning and Rude: Nope. Immediate swerve. Also Henning just joined the nWo in October.
Scott Steiner: He just turned heel after a big angle, turning him face again would have been awful.
Bagwell: Was injured. Was also needed to hype up Scott Steiner.
Norton: Was never around long enough to do much.
Bryan Adams: Probably should have but he just joined the nWo like 2 months prior if that.
Vincent: Too much of a toady.

If you can think of anybody else even in the nWo at this point good on you but the moral is for as big as everybody claimed the nWo was at the time the split happened only about 3 of them mattered at all. And barely any of them were 'cool' at this point. So no wonder they had to drag the Giant, Luger and Sting into it.

Second Problem: A proper payoff was impossible because it would have required one of the two most selfish and coddled men in the company to give to the other one. So we got like 10 months of farting around leading up to the fingerpoke of doom. How else could it have ended?

Also: Vince kicked him out, his previous forays into Hollywood were disastrous, ever hear of a "Buyer's Market" Eric?
Oh who am I kidding, Hulk would have sulked on his accumulated earnings and by the time he'd be willing to sign an equitable deal Eric probably would have been cycled out for somebody else.

ChrisBTY fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Dec 28, 2019

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
You guys do realize it was Shawn who showed his rear end in the Hogan match, right? Hogan was perfectly willing to let Shawn win the second match, but Shawn bitched and moaned and whined so much Hogan knew if he let Shawn win the first one, he'd never get a rematch.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Randaconda posted:

Hogan was perfectly willing to let Shawn win the second match

Yeah about that, he was never going to do a second match. Falling for that is like falling for "But you'll be elevated just by BEING IN THE RING with HHH!"

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Yinlock posted:

it might not be so much a grudge as it is basic pattern recognition, feuding with hogan never turns out well for anyone but hogan

except for all the people who made a shitload of money wrestling Hogan

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Defiance Industries posted:

Yeah about that, he was never going to do a second match. Falling for that is like falling for "But you'll be elevated just by BEING IN THE RING with HHH!"

Yes, he was. That's the been the story Meltzer and Alvarez has been saying for years.

CVagts
Oct 19, 2009
You'll forgive me if I don't believe something that Hulk Hogan says.

There was no innocent party in that whole Hogan/HBK situation.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

Randaconda posted:

Yes, he was. That's the been the story Meltzer and Alvarez has been saying for years.

You mean like how he was going to pass the torch to Bret after Mania 9?

Nobody should EVER trust Hogan after that.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

You mean like how he was going to pass the torch to Bret after Mania 9?

Nobody should EVER trust Hogan after that.

That was Vince stirring the pot. Vince was the one who said Bret would go over Hogan, then told Bret he never said that, not Hogan

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

I believe about 10-15% of Shawn's claims. I believe exactly 0% of Hogan or Vince's claims.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
You're out of your goddamn mind if you thought Hogan was going to agree to lose to HBK at any point. First match, second match, seventeenth match, etc. He is well known for saying what the gently caress ever to get whatever the gently caress he wants.

For the record, I love Shawn's overselling in that match. I feel it's the one and only time someone decided to gently caress with Hogan while the match was happening, when it's been the other way around 99% of the time. Including him changing the ending of the first World War III in WCW halfway through the actual match.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Everyboyd says he's was willing to play ball until Shawn threw one of his patented fits about winning first. :shrug:

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Do you have a quote from this Everyboyd?

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

:saddowns:

Be a star, don't be a bully

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

hi i'm renowned scoopster Jake Everyboyd, and sources tell me Hogan was DTF with Shawn. DTF here means Down To Finagle.

He also wanted to gently caress him, but thats unrelated to their match.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

BrigadierSensible posted:

Hogan has whined about how disappointed he is in Michaels for being so unprofessional. How it made everybody look bad.

He's not wrong, it's just hilarious because it happened to Hogan. Anybody else and people would poo poo on Michaels for that childish horseshit, but he did it to the most deserving prick in all of wrestling, so it's goddamn funny.

Almost as funny as taking Hogan at his word. This was totally his MO, promise to lay down in a later match that never happens. I can practically hear it in my head, "I don't know, I think the crowd is cold on this match. We need to look at doing something different to keep the crowd hot for Hulkamania brother." Or just going home for a month or two with a back injury to kill the program.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Hogan vs Shawn was a situation where everybody got what they deserved. Hogan got clowned on, Shawn didn't get his way and ate a pin, Vince had a once in a lifetime match turned into a farce.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

ChrisBTY posted:

Hogan vs Shawn was a situation where everybody got what they deserved. Hogan got clowned on, Shawn didn't get his way and ate a pin, Vince had a once in a lifetime match turned into a farce.
I think we can all agree this is the best way to look at it, namaste 🙏

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

ChrisBTY posted:

Legit.

Defiance Industries
Jul 22, 2010

A five-star manufacturer

You're out of your goddamn mind if you thought Hogan was going to agree to lose to HBK at any point. First match, second match, seventeenth match, etc. He is well known for saying what the gently caress ever to get whatever the gently caress he wants.

For my money, the time when he ordered a ref not to fast-count Sting while they were in the ring is the purest distillation of Hogan fuckery.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Is the thing about Hogan calling an audible in the middle of a World War 3 match legit? The one where Savage won?

He was supposed to get tossed by Giant but backed out by having a ref relay the message or something? It seems completely insane but not outside of Hogan's bullshit.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls
God forbid Hogan take an insignificant elimination to build up an unbeatable monster that he’s gonna beat in a big money match anyways.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

For my money, the time when he ordered a ref not to fast-count Sting while they were in the ring is the purest distillation of Hogan fuckery.

That could not have slammed the brakes on sting any harder

not that WCW didn't stop trying, but

coconono
Aug 11, 2004

KISS ME KRIS

IIRC Hulk got something like 6 figures for that match with Shawn, which is boat money. Big rear end boat money. Then his wife left him for the pool boy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

She also named the boat Alimony