Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

Is Kris Statlander the first to use a nose boop as an offensive maneuver?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Is Kris Statlander the first to use a nose boop as an offensive maneuver?

Hogan tried, but Kevin Nash is very tall, so he missed and hit his chest instead.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
It worked on Zeus.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

Hedgehog Pie posted:

I had Wrestlemania X-7 on video when I was a kid and sadly they cut out Heyman's BIG UPS to Limp Bizkit. :(

They also cut out Heenan's "It's great to be back at Wrestlemania, Tony" gag. It was weird because even though they also cut out Mean Gene sputtering "Tony!?" in response, they left in him saying "Are you puttin' me on??". That confused the hell out of me back then.

What are some other random wrestling edits that are rarely talked about?

With Royal Rumble 2014, they removed the shot of Kane crouching near the barricade minutes before his SURPRISING attack on CM Punk that nobody saw coming.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Halloween Jack posted:

It worked on Zeus.

I can't see Zeus falling victim to a nose boop: https://rutube.ru/video/81c2a1c7fa9c45981e88931c3ac2ed59/?ref=search

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Edit- gently caress wrong thread

My wrestling question is, why doesn't anyone in AEW have supernatural powers?

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

marktheando posted:

Edit- gently caress wrong thread

Because Chuck Taylor's grenades will only work if he gets to say "poo poo" on TV

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Apparently Dark Order has somebody that can talk to people through the TV.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

ChrisBTY posted:

Apparently Dark Order has somebody that can talk to people through the TV.

Alex Reynolds just has Problems.

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

People talk through the TV all the time, guys. Its 2019. Haven't you seen the Muppet commercials?

Alex Reynolds is just confused by technology.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

Where did it go wrong for TNA as a legitimate alternative to WWE and is AEW anywhere close to making the same missteps? I wonder because I see the polarizing opinions of AEW on the internet and the declining rating and I'm not worried but it makes me wonder.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

Where did it go wrong for TNA as a legitimate alternative to WWE and is AEW anywhere close to making the same missteps? I wonder because I see the polarizing opinions of AEW on the internet and the declining rating and I'm not worried but it makes me wonder.

TNA was WAY, WAY worse in their 1st year

Anybody making that comparison either has a poor memory or no perspective

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer
TNA brought in Vince Russo as a creative voice early. (Because Jarrett likes Russo.) From the start it was very much picking up where late WCW left off, and also since it was Jarrett's show, he was a main event babyface despite him clearly not being suited for it.

Also they started with weekly cheap PPVs. The reasoning was that WWE basically had TV on lockdown, channels that didn't have wrestling weren't keen on picking it up, so this was their way of getting exposure. It didn't work from the start and they were losing a poo poo ton of money.

So far, AEW is taking the PPVs slow (four a year), they managed a deal with TNT which is apparently pretty good, and while Cody Rhodes is a high-tier babyface he also A) is much more suited for it and B) took himself out of the title hunt for the foreseeable future (this may get reversed eventually but it's a nice signal that it's not just gonna be about him.)

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Any idea on how long the deal with TNT is for?

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

El Gallinero Gros posted:

TNA was WAY, WAY worse in their 1st year

Anybody making that comparison either has a poor memory or no perspective

I'm just comparing them as them both being seen as alternatives to WWE when they first formed. I don't remember much of early TNA aside from them having dancers and some relatively decent workers like Punk... and Daniels among others

I just remembered Sonny Siaki and the flying Elvises. Man,what the hell was that, TNA.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
It's really hard to say when you're even measuring TNA on a popularity/ratings level re: its ability to be a competitor to WWE.

When TNA started it was a weekly PPV show that from best I can gather was getting 15-20,000 buys at the peak of that era. They were getting between 800 and 2,000 people to attend their (free, I think?) live shows taped exclusively in Memphis, and had no television deal.

In that same era, WWE was getting approximately 300-500k buys for their PPVs, mid 3s-mid 4s for Raw viewership, paid attendance averaging between 6-8,000, etc.

I guess there are other times when TNA could be said to have taken a stab at being "real" competition, but to put those in context, and using the biggest estimates available:

TNA's biggest selling PPVs in their history were:

Bound for Glory 2006 in October 2006: 60,000 buys, 3600 in attendance. Impact's ratings hit a then-record 1.1 a week before the PPV.

That same month WWE No Mercy did 197,000 buys with 9,000 in attendance.

Genesis 2006 in November 2006: 60,000 buys, 900 in attendance. Impact's ratings that month hovered between 0.8 and 1.0.

That same month WWE Survivor Series did 383,000 buys with 15,400 in attendance. Raw's ratings that month were between 3.7 and 3.8. Smackdown's were in the 2.7 range.

WWE in 2006 was neck-deep in Super Cena and other highlights of the year included Vince McMahon's feud with God, Rey Mysterio's awful jobber run as champion + JBL's racist feud with same, May 19/Fake Kane, the first DX Nostalgia Reunion, lots of Spirit Squad, Cryme Tyme, Mexicools, Jillian Hall's Mole, Big Vito the Crossdresser, Big Dick Johnson, the Great Khali's first big push, Elevated Liver Enzymes, and was capped off with the December to Dismember PPV. (it also had the second One Night Stand PPV and some good Cena/Edge stuff and probably other enjoyable things I've forgotten thanks to the firehose of poo poo)

TNA in 2006 meanwhile had just brought in Christian for a main event run and while there were still Voodoo Kin Mafias and Jeff Jarrets and Reverse Battle Royales stinking up the joint, was spending a good amount of PPV time spotlighting people like Samoa Joe, Christopher Daniels, AJ Styles, LAX, Motor City Machine Guns, Roderick Strong, Bobby Roode, Jay Lethal, Kazarian, Low-Ki, and thanks to a partnership with New Japan sometimes you'd get Tanahashi or Goto or Liger on a card. It was far from perfect, but it felt like it could grow into a viable alternative. In the fall they got Kurt Angle (which probably wasn't a great idea for Kurt's longterm wellbeing) and immediately programmed Kurt Angle vs. Samoa Joe, which was how they popped those two buyrates.

Of course this was TNA, so within a year or two they decided to stop pushing all those vanilla midgets and push the focus heavily on The Main Event Mafia of aging dudes like Angle, Sting, Kevin Nash, Booker T, Scott Steiner, etc.

After that didn't work, they went whole hog in 2010 by trying to restart the Monday Night Wars, bringing back/in Hulk Hogan, Ric Flair, Sting, Eric Bischoff, Hall & Nash, X-Pac, Jeff Hardy, Val Venis, the Nasty Boys, and Bubba the Love Sponge in one week, which got them over 2,000,000 viewers (compared to that night's Raw, which did 5.6 million)

So on that level, Impact got higher viewership on Spike at its peak than Dynamite is getting on TNT now. But TV viewership has changed and declined in general over the past nine years, and Raw is pretty much where Impact was back then. Percentagewise AEW is doing as well or better compared to Raw, not even getting into the arcana of demos or +3s/+7s.

All In (the pre-AEW AEW PPV) did about as well as TNA's best ever PPV buyrate. Their three shows in 2019 have all done better than any TNA PPV ever has.

TNA's highest ever attendance for a show appears to be either 8,100 for a house show in London, stateside their biggest gate was ~7,000 for the Lockdown 2013 PPV. AEW's attendance so far for Dynamite peaked with the debut at 11,500 and bottomed out at 3,600 in Charlotte, and averages out for the first ten weeks to around 6,000 people a week. They've had over 10,000 people for all of their PPVs so far.

All of this is a very long way of saying that other than being Not WWE, I don't really know by what metrics you'd possibly compare TNA to AEW. Which isn't to say AEW is perfect or even has metrics heading in the right direction, but they're not loving TNA.

I guess the other common ground they have is coming along when WWE is putting out garbage, but that seems incredibly non-unique in the 21st Century.

vivazomo
Nov 4, 2010
AEW is trying to piggyback off of the TV rights bubble that resulted in multiple TV networks giving WWE a billion dollars. It's an actual business strategy, which TNA didn't really have.

Another big difference is that AEW has a core of fans who will pay for tickets, PPVs, and merch. TNA never had that. They could get 2 million people to watch the TV show, but they could never convert them to paying customers.

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

marktheando posted:

Orange Cassidy has the ability to chill out wherever he wants, whenever he wants. He came in off a blackout debut and has teleported.

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!

TV Zombie posted:

I'm just comparing them as them both being seen as alternatives to WWE when they first formed. I don't remember much of early TNA aside from them having dancers and some relatively decent workers like Punk... and Daniels among others

I just remembered Sonny Siaki and the flying Elvises. Man,what the hell was that, TNA.

TNA had a little person named "Puppet The Midget Killer" masturbating in a trash can and threatening to rape a female interviewer. It's not a good comparison.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
supernatural powers are dumb as poo poo in a wrestling context, anyway

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

TNA had a little person named "Puppet The Midget Killer" masturbating in a trash can and threatening to rape a female interviewer. It's not a good comparison.

They also had that Athena segment, which was vile

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos

Randaconda posted:

They also had that Athena segment, which was vile

Just so you don't have to look it up, Athena was a ring girl in the early TNA days who was over to the point of getting crowd signs. Eventually Russo invited her to the ring, called her a slut, told her to strip, attacked her, then the Harris brothers came out and attacked her too.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

I didn't know Rob Zombie booked TNA.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

The very first TNA PPV had The Johnsons defeating Psicosis and James Storm.

Honestly it's no surprise that things only got worse from there.

EDIT: Wasn't there a thread a couple years back where someone was watching all of TNA's weekly PPVs from the start?

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
Here's a wrestling question; whatever happened to that super long list that consisted of every baffling/insane/racist/lazy/cheap thing TNA ever did in chronological order.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Max Coveri posted:

Just so you don't have to look it up, Athena was a ring girl in the early TNA days who was over to the point of getting crowd signs. Eventually Russo invited her to the ring, called her a slut, told her to strip, attacked her, then the Harris brothers came out and attacked her too.

And when Russo attacked her, it didn't really feel like a wrestling attack, it felt way more like domestic abuse for some reason. That might just be me, though.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Randaconda posted:

And when Russo attacked her, it didn't really feel like a wrestling attack, it felt way more like domestic abuse for some reason. That might just be me, though.

I just watched it and holy poo poo this was just creepily brutal and repellent. Not in a "This guy's an rear end in a top hat, I want to see him get his comeuppance" way, but in a "I feel embarrassed watching this" way.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lamuella posted:

I just watched it and holy poo poo this was just creepily brutal and repellent. Not in a "This guy's an rear end in a top hat, I want to see him get his comeuppance" way, but in a "I feel embarrassed watching this" way.

Right?and TNA kept this guy around for loving years, to the point they lied to Spike about it and it likely kept Spike from keeping them on the station

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Randaconda posted:

Right?and TNA kept this guy around for loving years, to the point they lied to Spike about it and it likely kept Spike from keeping them on the station

Genuinely I've seen Nick Gage intergender matches where I didn't feel as bad for the woman involved.

Critical
Aug 23, 2007

Prokhor Zakharov posted:

Here's a wrestling question; whatever happened to that super long list that consisted of every baffling/insane/racist/lazy/cheap thing TNA ever did in chronological order.

It was down for a while but got rehosted

https://lolrasslin.fandom.com/wiki/LOLTNA_History

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Yeah, read any random chunk of that LOLTNA article and try to map it to "had some audio issues because of their broadcaster" or "isn't pushing the Young Bucks enough" or "taking a few weeks to figure out how to thread the needle on Kris Statlander's gimmick" or whatever the things dooming AEW are.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Edge & Christian posted:

Yeah, read any random chunk of that LOLTNA article and try to map it to ... "isn't pushing the Young Bucks enough"
i feel like there’s one specific loltna that maps pretty drat closely to this

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!

Randaconda posted:

Russo's entire aesthetic is tabloid talk shows. If he had his way, every feud would be about who got whose mother pregnant.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

jesus WEP posted:

i feel like there’s one specific loltna that maps pretty drat closely to this

Sure but TNA was already a huge disaster by the time they decided to misuse the Bucks

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
not only were the young bucks in TNA, they came in with hogan's crew lmao

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Let's be accurate: the Young Bucks were never in TNA.

You're thinking of Generation Me, the tagteam consisting of Max and Jeremy Buck.

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

LMAO at this, because it's just so...Jeff Hardy

LOLTNA posted:

2004:

Jeff Hardy debuted at TNA's anniversary show in June... a debut which he and his then-girlfriend decided to spoil on the internet beforehand. In his first run in the company, Hardy no-showed two PPV events and had a habit of sleeping in during Impact tapings.

Jeff also brought the "Hardy Party" - a group of fat, hair-dyed groupies who hung out with him after show was over - to the Impact Zone. They typically hogged up the front row to watch Jeff's matches, left when those matches ended and ended up being hated by everyone else. Universal Studios eventually banned the "leader" of the pack from the park for a year after he shoved people in the crowd to get front-row seats, which led to much rejoicing among non-Hardy Party regulars.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

Has anyone in wrestling ever actually got over because of a gimmick about having an outside job?

(The Undertaker doesn't count)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ronda Rousey.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Always Pounding rear end Protection, LLC