Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

TIN0 posted:

So my question is, was Fin-Rey (Reyfn) actually a thing, or JJ planned to have that awful Reylo kiss from 10 years ago?

The answers are nobody gives a gently caress about Finn and that nothing about any of this was planned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

sean10mm posted:

This would explain why that whole arc has no relation to the kind of character Poe was in the first movie. I mean he wasn't much more than a generic archetype fighter jock fun guy... but he wasn't weirdly hostile to female authority figures out of nowhere and his reaction to every situation wasn't :black101: :siren: LEEROY JENKINS :siren: :black101: either.

This has probably already been pointed out a million times but wasn't Poe's big failing at the beginning was ignoring orders to not kill the dreadnaught and getting a bunch of pilots killed? An act that saved all of them as the dreadnaught would have killed them in the slow speed chase. The big opener of him being wrong to go against the authority of Leia and needs to learn from this was actually the correct thing to do.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 02:48 on Dec 20, 2019

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

TIN0 posted:

So my question is, was Fin-Rey (Reyfn)

Ralph Fiennes

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:shrug:

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

TIN0 posted:

I was thinking, was the Fin "Rey I want to tell you my feeling but not on camera wink wink" thing JJ's way of trolling Rian Johnson, because Johnson hosed up his Fin-Rey romantic setup in TFA and send Fin to Rose?

So my question is, was Fin-Rey (Reyfn) actually a thing, or JJ planned to have that awful Reylo kiss from 10 years ago?

JJ Abrams has a big hardon for Boyega so there was probably ~something~ planned but we'll never actually know.

Raccooon posted:

This has probably already been pointed out a million times but wasn't Poe's big failing at the beginning was ignoring orders to not kill the dreadnaught and getting a bunch of pilots killed? An act that saved all of them as the dreadnaught would have killed them in the slow speed chase. The big opener of him being wrong to go against the authority of Leia and needs to learn from this was actually the correct thing to do.

That part was fine, everything after that was really bad characterization for Poe.

professor metis posted:

There's a shot towards the end of them embracing that I swear they deliberately kept to 0.5 seconds because any longer and their chemistry would beam through the cinema and destroy all their attempts at giving either of them barely developed female love interests.

Although, speaking of which, I love how each movie has had a new person immediately fall in love with Finn (Poe, Rose, the former stormtrooper woman in this one). It feels right.

I would probably fall in love with Boyega and/or Isaac if you put me in a room with them for 5 minutes, they're charming good looking dudes.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Holy gently caress the spoilers don’t really grasp how loving TERRIBLE this movie is.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

YaketySass posted:

It's one of those annoying fan over-interpretations of how this universe works that crept into the new movies: the Dark Side as some video game karma meter that can be objectively analyzed instead of a metaphor for specific negative emotions. If you don't explain what these emotions are and where they come from, you're stuck with arbitrary circular logic where Kylo went "dark" because Luke sensed he was "dark". You can interpret it as saying something about self-fulfilling prophecies but the Prequels did it better by anchoring the events in actual emotional arcs.

A good part of why the discourse around these movies is so heated is that so little is actually said in the movies proper that the fans just have to make up their own interpretations about everything. Unsurprisingly the new movie doesn't seem to explain either what actually happened that led to the temple being burnt, meaning that once again Kylo's moral responsibility is left entirely in the eye of the beholder.

Right! He just was “seduced by the dark side” because the audience knows what that means and can fill in the blanks with pop culture references. It’s a cowardly and safe way to avoid committing to an actual story and themes. The idea is to provide juuuust enough meat for the audience to fill in with their own feelings, hence those silly takes on TFA where “oh it’s about how millennials like me can’t get jobs” etc.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Mat Cauthon posted:

That part was fine, everything after that was really bad characterization for Poe.

Nah I agree that it fits with his cock sure fly boy characterization but that the film explicitly tells the audience Poe needs to learn from this when he doesn't. His instincts were correct and Leia was wrong.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Big loving props to that one dude that, after the battle was won, decided to Holdo maneuver a Star Destroyer over Endor just to prove Finn wrong I guess?

One in a million lmao just point the ship towards the enemy and pedal to the metal.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Just Chamber posted:

This is all hand waved away by Palpatine saying he was Vader in his head, he was Snoke, etc etc, he was corrupting Kylo since he was young as revenge against the Skywalkers I guess?? Yea it's not great.

I do like how they portray Kylo as conflicted throughout the sequels though, he does really feel like a person on the edge of losing it at all times and barely holding his poo poo together, but yes that's a lot to do with Driver.

Kylo being tempted by the light side of the force in TFA was one of my favorite things they did. I'm glad they got back to it in RoS.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

nemesis_hub posted:

Right! He just was “seduced by the dark side” because the audience knows what that means and can fill in the blanks with pop culture references. It’s a cowardly and safe way to avoid committing to an actual story and themes. The idea is to provide juuuust enough meat for the audience to fill in with their own feelings, hence those silly takes on TFA where “oh it’s about how millennials like me can’t get jobs” etc.

I guess you can hand wave it away with force sensitive people open themselves up to the manipulations of the force, but then it just takes all agency away them so eh...

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Big loving props to that one dude that, after the battle was won, decided to Holdo maneuver a Star Destroyer over Endor just to prove Finn wrong I guess?

One in a million lmao just point the ship towards the enemy and pedal to the metal.

Hahahaha did this really happen :laffo:

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Wait what, I missed this I guess. There was just so much junk happening on screen its hard to focus I suppose.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

The ratings on this are gonna be awesome lmfao. IMDB on 6.8 type suicide watch, but on RT the review you need is someone going "yeah whatev's" so it's gonna be all over the place

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I don't understand what is happening with this movie and I feel like I'm caring way too much about it.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Frankly, every time they get called death star destroyers I lose a little hope in a better future

No Mods No Masters fucked around with this message at 03:29 on Dec 20, 2019

ghostwritingduck
Aug 26, 2004

"I hope you like waking up at 6 a.m. and having your favorite things destroyed. P.S. Forgive me because I'm cuter than that $50 wire I just ate."
Kylo and Rey were the only two I was really interested in after The Last Jedi so I was pleased the time those two got in this.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Pollyanna posted:

I don't understand what is happening with this movie and I feel like I'm caring way too much about it.

Don't get too attached either way, just enjoy the lmaos my friend

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Like my brain genuinely hurts, it honestly looks like half the people watched a different movie than the other half. Maybe that's my brain problems, but I don't get it.

It's not even about the movie, it's about the sheer extremity in opinions. You either hate the movie's guts, or you're crying your eyes out while naming your firstborn Rey Skywalker. What the gently caress is going on

sponges
Sep 15, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Like my brain genuinely hurts, it honestly looks like half the people watched a different movie than the other half. Maybe that's my brain problems, but I don't get it.

It's not even about the movie, it's about the sheer extremity in opinions. You either hate the movie's guts, or you're crying your eyes out while naming your firstborn Rey Skywalker. What the gently caress is going on

It’s really not that interesting...

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Just Chamber posted:

Wait what, I missed this I guess. There was just so much junk happening on screen its hard to focus I suppose.

When they’re doing the victory montage the starts with Bespin I think. The next scene from a forest looking up and you can very clearly see a split Star Destroyer exactly like TLJ same lightning and all.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Pollyanna posted:

well it's pretty obvious. the people who like the film don't care about quality so much as the fact that the Brand Continues.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Pollyanna posted:

People who hated Rey/Finn/Poe from the beginning were never going to change their minds or be happy with this film. It would not have mattered what happened in the movie itself.

Everyone else enjoyed a Star Wars.

:ms:

sharknado slashfic
Jun 24, 2011

Pollyanna posted:

Hardcore Fandom, whether it's movies, sports, whatever, is entirely irrational.

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Pollyanna posted:

50% of the human race are below-average intelligence......

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Raccooon posted:

Destroying the dreadnaught was absolutely the correct thing to do. Poe was emboldened by how correct it was, which led to his conflict with Holdo and going all-in with Finn and Rose's plan.

Lt. Danger posted:

50% of the human race are below-average intelligence......
That is a very pessimistic way of looking at it.

nemesis_hub
Nov 27, 2006

YaketySass posted:

It's one of those annoying fan over-interpretations of how this universe works that crept into the new movies: the Dark Side as some video game karma meter that can be objectively analyzed instead of a metaphor for specific negative emotions. If you don't explain what these emotions are and where they come from, you're stuck with arbitrary circular logic where Kylo went "dark" because Luke sensed he was "dark".

Building off this very good point, I think one way to improve this would have been to have Kylo have some sort of legitimate grievance against the New Republic BEFORE poo poo goes sideways. Kylo goes fascist because the system is hosed, Han is too reluctant to fully agree with him because he's too comfortable/reluctant to rebel against the Republic he helped restore. Then you have a conflict between Kylo and Han, which resonates with the wider context for the situation in the galaxy, and can dovetail with other character and thematic arcs: Finn being a child slave of the First Order is a result of the New Republic failing to give a poo poo about the people, etc.

Have Han realize Kylo is right but going about things the wrong way. He comes to his son to apologize for not listening but Republic goons show up and kill him somehow. Now Kylo is torn because he has even more reason to hate the Republic but also is starting to realize his dad was right about the FO being creeps. Where does he go now?

Then the whole trilogy is about how revolution isn't just accomplished in one big dramatic moment: what happens the day after? Kylo, Finn, eventually work together to change the fact that the rich elites have begun to re-assert control, which is something that all revolutions have to guard against. This way, you can talk about how the old generation made mistakes and the new has to carry on, without invalidating everything that happened in the OT. And it even resonates with the PT: how to prevent the cycle going from EP6 right back to EP1. Of course, Disney would never, ever go with this.

I realize I'm just spouting off fanfic here, I'm not saying what I've written is super great. But this is the rough skeleton of what an actual story with actual stakes and conflict would look like compared to the nothing that is the ST.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

When they’re doing the victory montage the starts with Bespin I think. The next scene from a forest looking up and you can very clearly see a split Star Destroyer exactly like TLJ same lightning and all.

Oh gently caress that's what that was. I thought it was just bits of the Star Destroyer falling into atmosphere or something but just lol if its some dude Holdoing it up.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I guess fandom just isn’t for me.

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

It's like how trump still has supporters even after he blathers for 3 hours straight

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

the other hand posted:

Is Ian McDiarmid’s performance as fun in this movie as in the rest of them?

I’ll walk away happy if I get to see some good Palpatine camp.

Every line he has, his face is lit up by flickering lightning light. It's hilarious.

Who were the cloak people in his throne room?

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

sponges posted:

It’s really not that interesting...

Yeah, I'm not sure what Pollyanna's going on about. Subjective things that people are passionate about are divisive, news at 11.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

Pollyanna posted:

Nah. I think most people are like me, very much in the middle. Perhaps the people you're looking at on twitter are just extremes on one side or the other. I think the general public honestly will mostly enjoy this film because it's just pure shock like TFA. Fun things happen, there are a few laughs, it's a spectacle with an actual ending and everything wrapping up in a neat bow. Is it a good movie? Nope not really it's just like TFA, it's a safe star wars moopie that throws fan service in your face over and over. If you aren't like comparing them to the OT, you like the new characters and you just wanna see them go on an adventure that unlike TLJ feels like Star Wars you'll have a good time.

Honestly the people that seem to hate it seem to be either super against the sequels and hate the first two movies or massive TLJ fans that wanted more of the same and they're idiots because JJ was never going to do that.

I think the audience RT score is pretty accurate I think if you ask the average person "was it an enjoyable 2 hours in the cinema?".

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

There's a certain dark joy bubbling in my heart...

Kirios
Jan 26, 2010

This is the same level of self-justification that I saw when Episode 1 first came out.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Again, I think it's all reductive, treating it as people being content to eat slop. This movie hinges on a narrative trick - in media res starting "actually the emperor is alive". If you buy it, it's gonna be okayish. If you don't, it's gonna be loving awful.

That's why it gets a 6 on imdb (because the people it worked for are like "yeah it's like a 5-8" and people that it didn't are below 3), but will probably score higher on RT, because all you need to cross there is an ehhh "thumbs up." That's all there is to it.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

I mean I'm gonna lmao all the way to the bank and I know I'd loving hate the movie so I won't watch it, but also, I don't go "actually you're wrong" at the two of my super nerdy sw friends going "it wasn't ALL bad."

Now, the trilogy was pointless, and everything was pointless. And it ruins the OT a bit. But don't get worked up over the details of it, just have fun looking at the schadenfreude if that's your thing. Of which there is plenty.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
Just got out. Probably not going to follow this thread at all but I have to say this:
Star Wars is pretty loving anime. EpIX is the most anime Star Wars movie.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

dex_sda posted:

Again, I think it's all reductive, treating it as people being content to eat slop. This movie hinges on a narrative trick - in media res starting "actually the emperor is alive". If you buy it, it's gonna be okayish. If you don't, it's gonna be loving awful.

That's why it gets a 6 on imdb (because the people it worked for are like "yeah it's like a 5-8" and people that it didn't are below 3), but will probably score higher on RT, because all you need to cross there is an ehhh "thumbs up." That's all there is to it.

Kinda yea. When I first saw the trailer months back and realised that Palpatine was alive I was like that loving sucks jesus christ those hacks can't think of one original idea. But I had months to just accept it and say gently caress it OK he's alive what else you got and so the movie didn't like fall apart on that revelation like I imagine it would have if they'd kept that a secret. I also went into it knowing a bunch of spoilers so yea I just didn't care I guess so I'm quite forgiving towards the movie than others might be.

Like I cared about TLJ going into it from TFA because I, like most, thought there was promise there to be built on, I was excited to see where these characters would go, and TLJ was such a disappointment I was bummed. I feel like a lot of people going into this riding high off TLJ are going to get the same feeling.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I mean I totally understand subjectivity and how it’s schlocky fanservice meant to hype people up and sell tickets, I get it. But wow, if you like it you love it, if you don’t like it you hate it. It’s like looking at something really loving weird in nature.