Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

romanowski posted:

palpatine's makeup really seemed shockingly half-assed but at least you can barely see it most of the time

apparently ian mcdiarmid was only contacted to be in this film this year

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CPFortest
Jun 2, 2009

Did you not pour me out like milk, and curdle me like cheese?

General Dog posted:

That was absolutely his function in TLJ too

Yeah but both TFA and TLJ played up the idea that he and Ren would come to blows at a point that would lead to disaster. But instead he gets Poochied.

Horizon Burning posted:

Lol holy gently caress.

CPFortest fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Dec 20, 2019

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Horizon Burning posted:

This absolutely does not surprise me

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

They wouldve been better off getting a writer off fanfiction.net

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug
My theater groaned for the kiss.

Anyway, movie was bad but in a way that will make it a cult classic.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Maz just standing there next to Leia’s shrouded corpse before she ghosted, like she was gonna yoink some jewelry off of her dead hands when nobody was looking.

Edit: Christ, she DID steal something from Leia. The Yavin medal!

Gonz fucked around with this message at 06:19 on Dec 20, 2019

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Blarghalt posted:

This absolutely does not surprise me

it would explain the persistent 'matt smith is young palpatine' rumor and his cast listing and so on. they just replaced him with mcdiarmid.

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

Speaking of people who vanished, wasn't Charlie from LOST supposed to have a minor role too?

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

weekly font posted:

Speaking of people who vanished, wasn't Charlie from LOST supposed to have a minor role too?

He was the rebel guy who asked about the Holdo maneuver

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

I will say that I actually did like the goofy haunted house vibe that exogol gave off. they should add it to the theme park

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Blarghalt posted:

I did enjoy how Hux became a spy entirely to spite Kylo

i loved that. like its in his character and i like how the actual smart old guard imperial just unceremoniously shoots him.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Do the ~sacred Jedi texts~ show up in this one? Anyone read from the books?

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Rey knew about Exogol from the booooooooks.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ruddiger posted:

I think that's how rey found out about the wayfinder thing

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I found out how Palpatine survived! Hot scoop!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IFfm-oDj3M4

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

It's my Life Day today and I'm a Jedi now!

That means only one thing... BRING IT IN GUYS!!!

*every Jedi from every game, comic, cartoon, TV show, movie and book reality come in with everything to tell me I'm awesome and help me anime Sheev to death*

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

doomisland posted:

They wouldve been better off getting a writer off fanfiction.net

Where do you think they found JJ?

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

Force ghost Luke lifting an X-Wing out of the ocean seems like a significant development? Like if you can do that maybe there are other ways you could be helping, Luke!

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

Sheev’s 0-for-3 with the Force lightning at this point.

Sheev, buddy, whattaya doin?

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group
I thought it was enjoyable. Went in with basement expectations, pleasantly enjoyed it.

But God drat are there pacing issues. Almost none of the desert planet scene was necessary. I'm going to blame the writer more than JJ. This definitely felt like it was written by the guy who wrote Batman v Superman and Justice League.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Hobo Clown posted:

Force ghost Luke lifting an X-Wing out of the ocean seems like a significant development? Like if you can do that maybe there are other ways you could be helping, Luke!

look the jedi afterlife is basically a gigantic orgy and luke helping rey at all is time away from that

really she should just be thankful he's wearing clothes

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Babu Frik was the best part of the movie

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Hobo Clown posted:

presumably an earlier cut of the movie had him helping out in the palpatine confrontation

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

sportsgenius86 posted:

Babu Frik was the best part of the movie

Lil’ dude sounded like a drunk baby. He was great.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

the dead speak!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

A friend of mine who is a huge Star Wars fan but is not terminally online asked me if I knew any spoilers so I told her the basic plot and she just yelled "NO" over and over for like five minutes.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hobo Clown posted:

No no you see it wasn't a very well done nod to the entire theme of the movie of being shaped by the past but not shackled by it, and a relic from a past Luke no longer wanted nor needed. No, it was a deep seeded plot device so we could have ghost Luke pull up an xwing as a display of power after we've seen Sheev summon a fleet of star destroyers.

I know it was an excuse to get xwing pilot Rey.

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

PJOmega posted:

No no you see it wasn't a very well done nod to the entire theme of the movie of being shaped by the past but not shackled by it, and a relic from a past Luke no longer wanted nor needed. No, it was a deep seeded plot device so we could have ghost Luke pull up an xwing as a display of power after we've seen Sheev summon a fleet of star destroyers.

I know it was an excuse to get xwing pilot Rey.

To be fair, I sort of like that JJ used a lot of details from TLJ, including this one.

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Where did the medal come from? Did Leia have it tucked up her rear end for the last 40 years?

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
"Ceterum censeo Star Warsinem esse delendam."
- Palpatine the Elder

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Congrats to RoS for entering the "characters with raised hands trying to magick harder than another character" genre populated by notable films like, um Dark Phoenix.

Also, coward poo poo with Chewbacca and C3PO. There can be no tragic mistakes or impossible choices by good characters.

And lol at the 24 hour ticking clock through the movie. Why?

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Also, I 100% believe 'Order 67' was a thing that they edited to just the 'Last Order' because that was too stupid even for this movie.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Blarghalt posted:

Also, I 100% believe 'Order 67' was a thing that they edited to just the 'Last Order' because that was too stupid even for this movie.

no that was always extremely fake

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Pook Good Mook posted:

To be fair, I sort of like that JJ used a lot of details from TLJ, including this one.

It was literally JJ pissing on TLJ and trying to wink at the audience. "See Luke old buddy old pal never was just gonna scrap the xwing, see it's in perfect working condition he coulda popped it out of the Manitoba cooler anytime doncha know."

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

romanowski posted:

no that was always extremely fake

let me have this

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019

Pook Good Mook posted:

didn't luke use part of the x-wings, uh, wings as his door in TLJ to establish that no it was no longer flight-capable

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

my 'final order' is for everyone who believed the obviously fake 'order 67' leak to stop bringing it up before I blow a gasket

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

cuntman.net posted:

the dead speak!

yeah, part of that crawl read like a loving trump tweet.

MonsieurChoc posted:

"Ceterum censeo Star Warsinem esse delendam."
- Palpatine the Elder

" OH SHIIIT"

- palpatine the elder

"gently caress you dad, what are you gonna do stab me "
-palpatine the younger.

Rabble
Dec 3, 2005

Pillbug

PJOmega posted:

Congrats to RoS for entering the "characters with raised hands trying to magick harder than another character" genre populated by notable films like, um Dark Phoenix.

Also, coward poo poo with Chewbacca and C3PO. There can be no tragic mistakes or impossible choices by good characters.

And lol at the 24 hour ticking clock through the movie. Why?

My favorite disaster of this movie is how there are literally no consequences for any of the good guys. Chewie is dead, wait no. Threepio’s memory is wiped, wait no. Ben Solo gets got by Rey, wait no. Rey dies defeating palpatine, wait no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

ben solo didn't even do anything redemption worthy. like so what if he revived rey. dude still helped blow up five planets at once