Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Inzombiac posted:

I gotta download Mad Max again, huh?

I think I quit just as I got to the coral area after getting 100% on the available area. Kinda got sick of it but maybe that was my fault.

Here's a hint for you, don't clear all the camps and settlements before facing the end game. As you clear them, enemies stop spawning, and if you clear them all, pretty much you're out there on an empty desert.

Your reward for defeating the final boss is Max's iconic Interceptor, Jacket, and Shotgun that were stolen at the beginning of the game which are just not fun when you have nothing to fight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?

Necrothatcher posted:

I always thought this was kind of silly as the motivation for a tonne of soldiers is patriotism.

Or just needing a paycheck.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Outer Heaven provides full college scholarships, health care, and pensions.

small ghost
Jan 30, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Outer Heaven provides full college scholarships, health care, and pensions.

And a zoo! How many other militaries offer the chance to retrain as a zookeeper, huh?

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

You mess with the crabbo...

Plus free access to the greatest hits of '80s radio, 24/7.

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.

Necrothatcher posted:

I always thought this was kind of silly as the motivation for a tonne of soldiers is patriotism.

To be fair to the game, IIRC the guys you are airlifting out of Afghanistan are PMC mercenaries, from Russia. Mercenaries, by trade, tend to be loyal to money over patriotism or nationalism.

Kitfox88 posted:

Or just needing a paycheck.

Exactly.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Captain Hygiene posted:

Plus free access to the greatest hits of '80s radio, 24/7.

That's my biggest wish out of the game, wishing kojima had 10 times the licensing budget for 80s tunes. Buying a Big rear end Speaker Upgrade for your Bright Pink support helicopter, then calling it in and forcing it to blast https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q08427Of6as
while it miniguns down foes with an automatic .50 cal is quite the thrill.

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Inzombiac posted:

I gotta download Mad Max again, huh?

I think I quit just as I got to the coral area after getting 100% on the available area. Kinda got sick of it but maybe that was my fault.

It might not be for you! I have an incredibly high tolerance for giant open world games if I love the base gameplay enough. I also smoke a ton of weed while playing, and I turned off the games music in favor of this musical playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist
of licensed heavy metal songs from the game Brutal Legend. Holy poo poo does heavy metal and Mad Max go together if you like either. Getting into a 15 car chase while https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhvUpykF7OM
plays is loving badass. I also made a real effort to vary the combat as much as possible, it's pretty easy to cheese if you just kill everybody with the maxed out flamethrowers, and honestly ignore the thunderpoon entirely it just autokills everything in seconds.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

Olaf The Stout posted:

It might not be for you! I have an incredibly high tolerance for giant open world games if I love the base gameplay enough. I also smoke a ton of weed while playing, and I turned off the games music in favor of this musical playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=playlist
of licensed heavy metal songs from the game Brutal Legend. Holy poo poo does heavy metal and Mad Max go together if you like either. Getting into a 15 car chase while https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AhvUpykF7OM
plays is loving badass. I also made a real effort to vary the combat as much as possible, it's pretty easy to cheese if you just kill everybody with the maxed out flamethrowers, and honestly ignore the thunderpoon entirely it just autokills everything in seconds.

I just got the game. It was only 6 bucks on the PSN store so I couldn't go wrong with that. Big fan of Mad Max so need to try this out. Do you have any other advice that would help make the most of the game for me?

Blasting heavy metal while getting into a car chase is a given for me.

Byzantine
Sep 1, 2007

The facemask isnt in the game. Make peace with that, then maximize beard.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

Don Gato posted:

GTA V lost me when (spoilers for V I guess) Johnny gets unceremoniously killed by Trevor in his first appearance. Story-wise, V is probably the only game I've played where I hated literally every character and just wished all of them would just die already.

Though I kept playing it because Euphoria-enhanced ragdoll physics are literally the funniest thing to ever watch. Just love watching things like people getting caught on the hood of my car after I hit them, or my character flying 200 feet after a car accident because I didn't wear a seat belt.

IMHO That's one of the pettiest thing Rockstar has ever done story-wise. People in general disliked the GTA4 DLC campaign he was in and the GTA4 campaign which went nowhere and was boring as poo poo, so they decided to just kill him to show that "this is what happens when you complain about our writing". Isn't Trevor just loving wacky and interesting as poo poo original GTA protagonist?!?!!!!

Personally, I liked it more than the original GTA4 campaign, at least it had some sense in it.

Der Kyhe has a new favorite as of 19:40 on Dec 19, 2019

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Getting back into Cadence of Hyrule since the new (free) DLC quest dropped. The music design is so good (as you'd expect since, well, the game is designed entirely around music), but in particular the variations on all the overworld themes are great. There's always a switch between an intense one and a more chill one when you clear a screen of enemies, but I'd forgotten there was a third, very chiptune-y version that plays when you open the menu. Really cool, and neat how well all the music works switching between any of the variants.

Strom Cuzewon
Jul 1, 2010

Necrothatcher posted:

Yeah, but MGS3 was all about nations merrily using patriotism to manipulate people and then throwing them away, Big Boss just took that lesson to heart in a really weird way.

As did Major Zero. And Sigint. And Paramedic.

No idea what lesson ocelot learned, because the ending of mgs4 is so hilarious dumb I have no idea what literally any of the characters were trying to achieve

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Ocelot learned plenty in MGS3.

How to twirl a revolver
Electric Torture Fetish
Man-Crush on Big Boss
Giant Robots can be beaten by one person on foot with a rocket launcher
Always Be Betraying

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

Der-Wreck posted:

I just got the game. It was only 6 bucks on the PSN store so I couldn't go wrong with that. Big fan of Mad Max so need to try this out. Do you have any other advice that would help make the most of the game for me?

Always check Before I Play when starting a new game.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

The Zombie Guy posted:

Along with MGS V which has been talked on the other thread, this is also one of the games which despite of being released somewhat incomplete, is actually really fun and engaging until you start to notice where the "placeholder here" content starts to pop up.

Der-Wreck
Feb 13, 2006
Friday nights are for Wapner!

The Zombie Guy posted:

Wow! thanks for this! This is great. Never knew about this site.

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Der-Wreck posted:

Wow! thanks for this! This is great. Never knew about this site.

Its owned/run by "ahobday", with tips taken from the "The "What should I know before I play this game for the first time?" Q&A!" thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=1) super useful resource, and if there is agame you would like to ask about/would like to add advice for, pop over to the thread.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

SiKboy posted:

Its owned/run by "ahobday", with tips taken from the "The "What should I know before I play this game for the first time?" Q&A!" thread (https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2969807&pagenumber=1) super useful resource, and if there is agame you would like to ask about/would like to add advice for, pop over to the thread.

Unlike most Somethingawful projects, its not a complete poo poo show, but even today moderated and updated, and takes entries such as "what I should have known when I started" via the same thread.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

As someone who always comes to games very late, I have to nth the praise for Before I Play. It is such a balm for the broke part of my brain that gets a sip of sugar water every time I hear the fuckin' PSN trophy sound.

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hadn't heard of this either, but it looks really useful and I wish I'd known sooner. *heaves another thanks onto the pile*

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Der Kyhe posted:

Unlike most Somethingawful projects, its not a complete poo poo show, but even today moderated and updated, and takes entries such as "what I should have known when I started" via the same thread.

I think it helps that although its technically a goon project, its one goon who runs the site (although a couple others do have edit privileges) so he just quietly gets on with it instead of having to try and wrangle a dozen goons all of whom see themselves as the "ideas guy".

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

It's extremely useful for JRPGs with missables like "Kick the dolphin in chapter one exactly 4 times or the Dominus Sabre won't spawn in chapter 17" and similar horseshit

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

SiKboy posted:

I think it helps that although its technically a goon project, its one goon who runs the site (although a couple others do have edit privileges) so he just quietly gets on with it instead of having to try and wrangle a dozen goons all of whom see themselves as the "ideas guy".

In addition to contributing, if you spot any mistakes or errors on some page or another it's also helpful to point out in the thread since it's obviously impossible for us to know every single game. A lot of the pages used to be pretty messy or bloated but I think people have done a good job curating and editing them to be more useful/readable these days.

Kit Walker
Jul 10, 2010
"The Man Who Cannot Deadlift"

Olaf The Stout posted:

Also Outer Heaven has a weird thing going on where the entire 1000+ battalion of dudes is an incredibly internationally diverse P.O.W. penal unit, with only like 3 actual loyal dudes in charge. The systemic breaking-in process Miller makes all new recruits go through must be astoundingly effective lol..

The in-universe explanation for why most of the recruits are cool with suddenly joining is that Big Boss’s reputation is absolutely legendary and they jump at the chance to work with *THE* Big Boss. As for the ones who get thrown in the brig and have to be convinced, well, I dunno. Guess Ocelot and Miller are just very persuasive

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Big Boss promises a home free from troublemakers and people with poor hygiene :patriot:

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
Goon Projects seem to work when it's a single person's project to which their Gokn status is incidental, and everyone else gets to only yell out the occasional advice and then not touch anything. See also the Let's Play Archive, which is (as far as I know) exclusively run by Baldurk.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

NEO scavenger lp isn’t on it and that makes me sad

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes

Kitfox88 posted:

NEO scavenger lp isn’t on it and that makes me sad

go post your tips in the thread

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

SiKboy posted:

Legit thought you were talking about Mother Base in a roundabout way.

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

flatluigi posted:

go post your tips in the thread

He means the Lets Play

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Kit Walker posted:

The in-universe explanation for why most of the recruits are cool with suddenly joining is that Big Boss’s reputation is absolutely legendary and they jump at the chance to work with *THE* Big Boss. As for the ones who get thrown in the brig and have to be convinced, well, I dunno. Guess Ocelot and Miller are just very persuasive

Miller just comes in and keeps asking "wanna join us now? Wanna join us now?" over and over until they eventually break down. Sometimes it's immediate, sometimes it takes a few days

The Moon Monster
Dec 30, 2005

Sekiro is only, like, 13 gigabytes. Truly a breath of fresh air.

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Miller takes off his sunglasses and tells them he's their brother.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
He asks "did you like my sunglasses" but it's actually because he's just insecure and craves validation.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

If Big Boss kidnapped me and told me that I will get paid to protect his collection of anime posters, I would die for him.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

MGSV's story had a lot of issues to put it mildly, but I do like that there's a reason that Kaz is so distrusting and second guesses Big Boss constantly and basically is an rear end in a top hat to you a lot of the time, since he's in on the fact that Venom Snake isn't actually Big Boss and he hates the plan that he's going along with for now

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

Kitfox88 posted:

MGSV's story had a lot of issues to put it mildly, but I do like that there's a reason that Kaz is so distrusting and second guesses Big Boss constantly and basically is an rear end in a top hat to you a lot of the time, since he's in on the fact that Venom Snake isn't actually Big Boss and he hates the plan that he's going along with for now

It's been a while since I played it but I thought the point was that Miller wasn't actually in on it, and he felt betrayed when he realised late in the game. iirc the only one of your crew that was actually in on it was Ocelot and the real big boss.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

:psyduck: I've complete MGSV and I do not remember one lick of the story.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Hygiene
Sep 17, 2007

Hel posted:

It's been a while since I played it but I thought the point was that Miller wasn't actually in on it, and he felt betrayed when he realised late in the game. iirc the only one of your crew that was actually in on it was Ocelot and the real big boss.

Yeah that was my understanding too.

Inzombiac posted:

:psyduck: I've complete MGSV and I do not remember one lick of the story.

I missed out on a lot the first time around because a lot of that stuff is either on cassette tapes or in the final cutscenes that are unintuitively timed based on the weird late-game mission structure.