Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Aades
Nov 28, 2005

Guns Up!

I always liked guild wars the best. 5 battles and its done for the day and you don't have to spend gems.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verosa
Apr 3, 2010
Blossums are only 24k away from closing Portal 9, if anyone has any raid tokens left try get on and kill zuul a few times before the end of the week. Great job Aades getting leader board this week!

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

Oddly the part that feels like a chore for me in Guild Wars is setting up defensive teams. I did the whole setup of uniques back when I first joined and haven't touched it since. I've got enough toys now I can put up some of the really annoying defensive teams (for example the Rope Dart they handed to us last week) but it's :effort: incarnate.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

Verosa posted:

Blossums are only 24k away from closing Portal 9, if anyone has any raid tokens left try get on and kill zuul a few times before the end of the week. Great job Aades getting leader board this week!

Barring ravens I've got about 9K in my stock, getting us to 6K away.

Edit: either I seriously messed up my math or someone else was helping push. We've got it now.

Bruceski fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 15, 2019

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Great job guys!

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

How did you screen shot my device?

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

I got unlucky and didn’t get much Ravens this Run.

Also Madjun is gone for about 21+ days, should I kick them?

Verosa
Apr 3, 2010

MarcusSA posted:

Great job guys!

Double green always sucks, but at least I got a clan orb to help push for 40k seals in January.

Hef Deezy
Jun 11, 2006

Show no fear. Show no emotion at all.

Bruceski posted:

Barring ravens I've got about 9K in my stock, getting us to 6K away.

Edit: either I seriously messed up my math or someone else was helping push. We've got it now.

That was me killing time before work last night.

Also got the double greens :argh:

big cummers ONLY
Jul 17, 2005

I made a series of bad investments. Tarantula farm. The bottom fell out of the market.

Someone wrote a really good tl;dr on contributing to guild wars as a new player but I can't track it down, anyone got it?

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.
It's time for the PvP event that takes up 12 team slots! This week gives a small boost to monsters and wargare, which is probably most noticeable in Arachnaean Weaver, Emperor Khorvash, and Savage Hunter. I've got some defense info, a couple fresh teams, and some notes on weaknesses to exploit. As always it's preferable to have mediocre defenses than to miss out on the 12k bonus for running 24 different troops.

Anti-Blue: Webspinner, Infernal King, Doomed Crossbow / Tidecaller, Moon Rabbit (Dragon's Claw banner) [6068,6183,1233,6677,3019,1,2,3,3,1,1,1,14025]
Went 6-7 in B10, and 6-5 in B11. Sentinel hero or a good impervious troop in front of the team is very helpful to prevent an unlucky streak from killing half your team. Also try to limit the yellow mana Infernal King gets, since if it gets a cast off, it can fill the crossbow and combo your team to bits.

Anti-Red: Drowned Sailor, Daughter of Ice, Zuul'Goth, Jar of Eyes / Tidecaller (Merlantis banner) [6749,6723,6529,1222,3036,1,2,3,3,1,1,1,14025]
Yeah I know. Anyway, went 5-5 in B11. This is a miserable gimmick team and the simplest counter is to slot in a 'godslayer' troop to do 5x damage to Zuul before it casts. Umbraxis has some nice utility, Night-Slayer or Earthcaller hits extra hard, Hellcackle has an extra turn included. Probably some other nice options. Having a stealthy hero with a summoning weapon is also strong, but there's something elegant about using a garbage troop to beat an expensive garbage team.

Anti-Green: Savage Hunter, Fist of Zorn, Writhing Staff / Frostmage, Apophisis (Blackhawk banner) [6243,6682,1225,6687,3026,1,1,2,2,1,3,3,14018]
Went 4/6 in B11. Two empowered skull converters is kinda nuts; even if the first cast misses, the second will probably hit hard. This team can work for other days with Webspinner or Tracker in front. Anyway, this is all about trait-boosted skull damage with no cleanse apart from Cedric medals, so stun (Essence of Evil and/or first slot Sentinel, probably) or entangle (probably Archer hero) can hamstring Savage Hunter. Freeze can at least limit the damage, maybe. Freeze/entangle can wear off at any time thanks to the medals though...

Anti-Yellow: Silent Sentinel, Lamashtu, Life and Death / Orbweaver, The Possessed King (Silver Necropolis banner) [6623,6771,1252,6594,3066,1,3,1,2,2,3,2,14009]
Went 9/7 in B11. The green (grave seer) version of this went 7/6 in B10. Just another variant of the most hated team with a tanky first slot. No silver bullet to counter this. Running Moonsinger can starve this team of its purple gems and/or help to keep it from getting a bunch of 4-matches right away. Unfortunately most yellow attack teams don't really use green, but there are some nice options like Luna, Forest Guardian, King Bloodwood, Arachnaean Weaver. Riskier option is Grave Seer; if you convert 2nd you can instantly fill a troop like Divine Ishbaala, but filling the board with purple is scary business. Sister Superior can cancel TPK's explosions and cleanse death mark / silence.

Anti-Purple: Forest Troll, King Gobtruffle, Moonsinger, Doomed Glaive / Frostmage (Amanithrax banner) [6419,6759,6779,1248,3053,1,1,2,2,1,3,3,14018]
Went 6/3 in B11. Purple-denying variant of the classic Gobtruffle team. Essence of Evil and Doomed Club are good alternate weapons. Pretty reliant on Moonsinger to get going quickly, but can be devastating if the combo lines up, so Spirit Fox can be worth the team slot. Freezes help even if they aren't reliable. If you can get a The Gray King cast off on green though, it's basically over. Moon Rabbit also slows the team down, since it likes blue gems too.

Flexible: Orpheus' Verse / Warpriest, Emperor Khorvash, Champion of Anu, Holy St. Astra (Sunken Fleet banner)
Went 6/10 in B10 on purple day. Champion of Anu has good colors (blue/yellow from the weapon) and extra mana drain but there are some other nice human troops. Tesla, Divine Ishbaala, The Possessed King, Champion of Gaard, Voice of Orpheus, etc?

Flexible: Obsidius, Stringfiddler, Rope Dart / Frostmage, Leprechaun (Amanithrax banner) [6746,6783,1228,6638,3053,1,1,2,2,1,3,3,14018]
New hot defense! Has a nasty trio of stun, entangle, silence. I'll be slotting it into brown day because my bone dragon team disappointed. To fight it, cleanse is a must. Getting rid of green gems, mana-draining Leprechaun, or running a hero/troop to force the storm away from green can help. Haven't fought it much though.

Flexible: Norbert's Turnip / Thief, Stringfiddler, King Gobtruffle, Nobend Brothers (Dark Pits banner)
Alternate: Norbert's Turnip / Tidecaller, Nobend Brothers, King Gobtruffle, Leprechaun (Amanithrax banner)
Alternate: Norbert's Turnip / Thief, Stringfiddler, King Gobtruffle, Queen Grapplepot (Primal Rift banner)
Alternate: Toadsqueezer, Norbert's Turnip / Frostmage, Stringfiddler, King Gobtruffle (Urskaya banner)
There's a ton of these. Hell, make your own. Turnip is good. To fight it, freeze is kinda good to prevent 2 minutes of hell watching Gobtruffle do 0 damage to your submerged troops over and over. If it's yellow or brown day, maybe just throw multiple Gob-Chompers at it and pray?

You can also set medals to complement the day's defense team, but it's extra hassle if you want to use different medals for, y'know, playing the game.

Keylime has some videos about attacking teams (green, red, yellow days currently). They're fine. A bit more thorough if troop selection is a problem. Filtered the relevant videos here: https://www.youtube.com/user/RubxQub/search?query=guild+war+team

big cummers ONLY posted:

Someone wrote a really good tl;dr on contributing to guild wars as a new player but I can't track it down, anyone got it?

The OP has some. And Guild Wars is a recurring theme for my posts in this thread. Maybe this from last month?: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3879381&userid=89171&perpage=40&pagenumber=5#post500089812

Enkor fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 17, 2019

ExplodingChef
May 25, 2005

Deathscorts are the true American heroes.
Could I snag an invite to one of the goon guilds? Just started playing.

EXPLODINGCHAD_HYB3

Thanks!

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
I'd also like to be put in line for a guild invite.

My code is HEINRICH_3

Currently working my way through Kingdom quests.

Verosa
Apr 3, 2010

ExplodingChef posted:

Could I snag an invite to one of the goon guilds? Just started playing.

EXPLODINGCHAD_HYB3

Thanks!

Invite sent.

pyrofreak421 posted:

My code is HEINRICH_3

An invite will be sent from Blossums or Boiz as soon as there is a free space.

bagina
Jul 21, 2003

Oh shi...

Guild wars used to be my favourite. Now it’s just frustrating. Nothing quite like making your first move on a board that has nothing available for you only to sit for another two minutes while the AI systematically skull fucks you over and over until you are asleep or dead. Good times.

Kevos Setzer
Dec 1, 2004

I can transform, right?

bagina posted:

Guild wars used to be my favourite. Now it’s just frustrating. Nothing quite like making your first move on a board that has nothing available for you only to sit for another two minutes while the AI systematically skull fucks you over and over until you are asleep or dead. Good times.

I could only sit and laugh at the team I got the first two times, with a troop that creates green and brown gems, followed by troops that turn brown and green gems to Doomskulls. I should have written that team down.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
[6759,6045,1248,6751,3053,3,3,1,1,1,3,3,14004]

Amanithrax banner
King Gobtruffle
Goblin Shaman
Doomed Glaive (Archer class)
The Maraji Queen

As long as this team isn’t frozen, it can ruin your day if either of the first two troops fills. And, thanks to TMQ giving Gobtruffle a fast start, that could be as little as two turns.

Edit: Frostmage class with Lightning Strike could be good also. You lose the starting entangle and nature storm, but you get explosions on 4+ matches and a chance to freeze all your opponents while your goblins do their thing.

Grundulum fucked around with this message at 02:29 on Dec 19, 2019

Enkor
Dec 17, 2005
That is not it at all.

Kevos Setzer posted:

I should have written that team down.

that's pvp.txt imo. Figuratively, and in my case, literally.

FastestGunAlive
Apr 7, 2010

Dancing palm tree.
Anyone else have a tough go today in blossoms? I lost twice, one guy I was able to beat on a rematch and my last battle was against someone level 1200ish (I’m level 240) and I didn’t stand a chance.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

FastestGunAlive posted:

Anyone else have a tough go today in blossoms? I lost twice, one guy I was able to beat on a rematch and my last battle was against someone level 1200ish (I’m level 240) and I didn’t stand a chance.

Yeah, these guys have actual teams. I'm rather proud of 4-1 even if half of them were narrow limping wins that got 800 points.

u got mares in yr house
Feb 23, 2001

Bruceski posted:

Yeah, these guys have actual teams. I'm rather proud of 4-1 even if half of them were narrow limping wins that got 800 points.

Yup. After a couple of tough fights I stopped caring about the color of the day and just switched to my regular PVP team.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Here’s your monthly reminder that Bounty mode is trivialized with the following team:

Crypt Keepers banner
Corpse Mare
Tigraki Warrior
Excavator
[Current Bounty captain]

It looks like I didn’t even need to purchase tier VI from the shop to clear all the rewards. Having a Legendary captain would have been more than sufficient, given the free sigils for Saturday and Sunday.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Grundulum posted:

Here’s your monthly reminder that Bounty mode is trivialized with the following team:

Crypt Keepers banner
Corpse Mare
Tigraki Warrior
Excavator
[Current Bounty captain]

It looks like I didn’t even need to purchase tier VI from the shop to clear all the rewards. Having a Legendary captain would have been more than sufficient, given the free sigils for Saturday and Sunday.

Is this weeks bounty captain the Dire Cub? Remind me why I should spend to get this troop to mythic instead of subbing in something else (Half-mane).

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

porktree posted:

Is this weeks bounty captain the Dire Cub? Remind me why I should spend to get this troop to mythic instead of subbing in something else (Half-mane).

You get double the bounty multiplier from the bounty captain. The only reason to buy tier 6 is so you can use Life and Death earlier, if you stick with the four bounty troop team Grundulum posted tier 5 with the captain at legendary is enough to get all rewards, assuming you never fail or lose a raven.

onefish
Jan 15, 2004

Eminai posted:

You get double the bounty multiplier from the bounty captain. The only reason to buy tier 6 is so you can use Life and Death earlier, if you stick with the four bounty troop team Grundulum posted tier 5 with the captain at legendary is enough to get all rewards, assuming you never fail or lose a raven.

Wait, is this suggesting there's a particularly good bounty team with the hero using Life and Death? If so, quick searching didn't bring it up--what's this in reference to?

edit: thanks for the tip -- I'm enjoying the team.

onefish fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Dec 20, 2019

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

:siren: Izzy, you've been inactive in Boiz for 8 days. Please come jam some gems with us or your spot will open up!

Eminai
Apr 29, 2013

I agree with Dante, that the hottest places in hell are reserved for those who in a period of moral crisis maintain their neutrality.

onefish posted:

Wait, is this suggesting there's a particularly good bounty team with the hero using Life and Death? If so, quick searching didn't bring it up--what's this in reference to?

This only really applies if you're buying tier 5 or 6, have a few older bounty troops at mythic, and are looking to stop right at reward level 20. The team I'm using is

Ridgeback
Life and Death
Tigraki Warrior
Bounty Captain

This team has a 22x multiplier, but earns class xp and works with any class. If I didn't care about class xp, Yao Guai in place of Life and Death might be faster. The goal is to keep the 22x multiplier, so I'm using a troop/weapon that can both do a fair amount of damage and feed themselves mana.

With tier 5 and using Grundulum's team (or any team with a 28x multiplier) for the first 19 stages and my first 7 runs of stage 20, I'll still get enough points for reward 20 assuming at least 15 valravens show up, I kill every valraven and never lose a stage. If I don't use this team and just stick with a 28x team all weekend, I'll only need 9 valravens to show up. For me, the extra class xp and faster battles are worth the gamble, since I usually end up with 16-17 valravens each bounty weekend.

Izzy
Mar 22, 2010

Gibbering in the void

Night Danger Moose posted:

:siren: Izzy, you've been inactive in Boiz for 8 days. Please come jam some gems with us or your spot will open up!
Go ahead and free up my spot. RL has been brutal so I'm taking a break for a while.

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

Izzy posted:

Go ahead and free up my spot. RL has been brutal so I'm taking a break for a while.

Thanks for letting us know. If you get the match-3 itch again after things settle down, come find us!

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010

pyrofreak421 posted:

My code is HEINRICH_3

Piping back up to say I'd still like to join a guild

Night Danger Moose
Jan 5, 2004

YO SOY FIESTA

pyrofreak421 posted:

Piping back up to say I'd still like to join a guild

Invited to Boiz.

pyrofreak421
Nov 25, 2010
Invite received. Thank you

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

I wish there was a replay feature. Every once in a while my bomb PvP team gets a win and I'd like to know how.

(I know it's guild war week, this isn't from that)

Devor
Nov 30, 2004
Lurking more.

Bruceski posted:

I wish there was a replay feature. Every once in a while my bomb PvP team gets a win and I'd like to know how.

(I know it's guild war week, this isn't from that)

When someone plays against you in Casual mode, it counts as a win in your record

monkeytennis
Apr 26, 2007

Toilet Rascal
Hello, I would like to be in a Goon Guild if at all possible.

JEZZERH_RLVY

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

Apologies that I've not been on much, Christmas holidays and all.

Annointed
Mar 2, 2013

Tsietisin posted:

Apologies that I've not been on much, Christmas holidays and all.

Same here, plus some holiday retail shifts on my end including today. It’s going to be f u n.

Ultimate Mango
Jan 18, 2005

I think we all get a pass this week. It’s fine.

Mandatory Assembly
May 25, 2008

it's time to get juche
Lipstick Apathy
Need a new gym game and I guess I’ll get back into Gems. Can I please get a re-invite to Gem Boiz or whichever guild has room?

I’m invite code NORF

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jems
Mar 23, 2005

Duckling, darling.
I'm back and playing again, any chance for an invite anywhere? Invite: TALANY_GDMT