Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Started a Teclis game, first ruin had this:

Gonna be a fun campaign.

Also, Teclis has way too much good stuff in his skill tree, makes it hard to choose.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Hello there Mukip, didn't know you took over the Sentinels of Xeti.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl
Teclis was really fun to pump all skill pts into spells. Dude can just delete armies while the spearmans and archermans sit back and preen.

jadebullet
Mar 25, 2011

MY LIFE FOR YOU!

The Duggler posted:

Kill the happy dwarves

Im tempted to, but I'm enjoying playing as rat CIA and inciting rebellions and proxy wars. I incited a riot which managed to take a city that had been heavily damaged by the Orks.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Lining up 8 units of terradons w/ fire bolas in a wide formation then moving them across the advancing enemy army and bombing them into oblivion is too much fun. Between the improved TTT bombs and the terradon's ability to fire while moving I think I killed 80% of the opposing frontline in one pass.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial
The fire bola terradons are so good with him. Their bombs inflict fire weakness so make sure to attack right away and you can completely shred most units

Terminal autist
May 17, 2018

by vyelkin
So I finally got a morathi ME campaign off the ground and Im totally clueless what a late game DE army looks like. So far I've just been running darkshards and spearmen, shades didnt seem great. Do i just make a line of executioners with a few darkshards and dragons?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Restarted by VC campaign with Isabella instead of Vlad. She and her vampire gal pals are having a fun mosh pit while Vlad brings along some heavy hitters. I bullied Mannfred early and confederated him. I think Lore of Vampires is stronger than Death Magic but I specced Mannfred for Death and then got a necromancer to do all the resurrection poo poo.

I also summoned a Blood Dragon lord and I'm building him into a cavalry monster so he and his Blood Knights can play at being undead bretonnians. Anti-large with 80 charge bonus and frenzy even before buffs is insane.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!

Broken Cog posted:

The problem with avoiding war with the Lizardmen is that you start next to Kroq-Gar in ME, and as his only local rival, he will inevitably declare war on you rather quickly. And it goes without saying that their infantry absolutely pummel yours into the dirt.
I guess trying to take Nagizzhar could be a valid strategy, but going for that is a gamble, since you need every army available just to keep the early lizardmen away from your starting provinces.

Her start in ME really is something else. Khatep could come close I guess, but handling Dark Elves early is a lot easier than Lizards for Tomb Kings.

Haha, yeah you're right. I just tried that campaign, and it was going well, until the Silver Host with their last city invited the Last Defenders into the war. Kroq-gar immediately takes one of my towns, then rushes to Khalida's army which is sieging the Silver Host. I abandoned the siege, and Kroq-gar immediately sieges the Silver Host! Can you invite your opponents to join you in wars? Seems kind of weird. Anyways, I got my second lord and him and Khalida are currently avoiding his army while one takes his settlements and the other follows him and re-takes the cities he's taking from me. I'm hoping the timing will be such that I can take his last city before he takes another of mine, so the lack of base attrition kicks in and then I'll have an actual chance.

Doomykins
Jun 28, 2008

Didn't you mean to ask about flowers?
I had a good Khalida Vortex start where the suggested first allies, Dark Elves, refused to play diplomacy ball but the adjacent High Elves would. Once the HE were my pals and I bullied the DE to death even the Lizardmen factions would tolerate me for awhile. The starting book wants you to go after the nearby Dwarves but you start on good terms with them too. As Tomb Kings rise in power over time by the point things fell apart I was able to win a four front war for the entire continent and wipe out every LM faction and the Dwarves with the HE holding the fourth front against the far north DE and Huntsmen. The third was that Mors sailed across the ocean to start trouble! I ended up letting the HE hold the occasional settlement mixed into my nice continental block.

Trying Vampire Coast out ATM. Is there any reason for Noctilus to not gravitate towards an 18 Necrofex army? This big fellow is my new best friend.

Vlex
Aug 4, 2006
I'd rather be a climbing ape than a big titty angel.

Terminal autist posted:

So I finally got a morathi ME campaign off the ground and Im totally clueless what a late game DE army looks like. So far I've just been running darkshards and spearmen, shades didnt seem great. Do i just make a line of executioners with a few darkshards and dragons?

I personally love shades, the heavier and killier melee units of dark elves don't really do anything for me. Tarpit with characters and monsters, turn the entire enemy army into pincushions with shades and bolt throwers. Sprinkle magic and cavalry, to taste.

Kalessin ofSelidor
Jul 28, 2019

Workin gurl

Terminal autist posted:

Lotta times it felt like the halberd dudes were more useful than the executioners. So like handful of them to keep stuff off your shards and boltthrowers. Plus some hydras and/or the kharybdis thingies depending on enemy comp. Shades felt like they were good for taking out enemy artillery and archers or to turn the flank of an enemy line, but against some armies they really seemed unnecessary.

e: haven’t tried a DE campaign since the latest patch so haven’t tried the new units

Kalessin ofSelidor fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Dec 20, 2019

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Ristolaz posted:

The fire bola terradons are so good with him. Their bombs inflict fire weakness so make sure to attack right away and you can completely shred most units

My army right now is 5 heroes, 5 ripperdactyls, 8 teradons and 1 chameleon skink unit who hides in the corner of the map so I don't get the 'no ground forces' penalty. It's stupid and I love it.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Doomykins posted:

I had a good Khalida Vortex start where the suggested first allies, Dark Elves, refused to play diplomacy ball but the adjacent High Elves would. Once the HE were my pals and I bullied the DE to death even the Lizardmen factions would tolerate me for awhile. The starting book wants you to go after the nearby Dwarves but you start on good terms with them too. As Tomb Kings rise in power over time by the point things fell apart I was able to win a four front war for the entire continent and wipe out every LM faction and the Dwarves with the HE holding the fourth front against the far north DE and Huntsmen. The third was that Mors sailed across the ocean to start trouble! I ended up letting the HE hold the occasional settlement mixed into my nice continental block.

Trying Vampire Coast out ATM. Is there any reason for Noctilus to not gravitate towards an 18 Necrofex army? This big fellow is my new best friend.

Only reason not to is that it's pretty boring. It is insanely powerful though.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I legitimately have no idea how anyone could counter Necro-nox. you may as well be fielding a whole second army of deckhands on top of an entire stack of hybrid megamonster artillery.

Ardent Communist
Oct 17, 2010

ALLAH! MU'AMMAR! LIBYA WA BAS!
I think it would require a critical mass of cannons, or lightning cannons. They're a pretty big target, and as far as I recall, not crazy tough. They are just mobile, cannons that are good in melee.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I failed repeatedly to get any VC army to work that wasn't just stacking necrofex. I just couldn't get any line to hold long enough for my ranged units to take them down, mostly because firearms are so poo poo at firing at things once the distance is closed and you lose all your sight lines.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Motherfucker posted:

I legitimately have no idea how anyone could counter Necro-nox. you may as well be fielding a whole second army of deckhands on top of an entire stack of hybrid megamonster artillery.

Stack of dragons and good dodging, maybe? Waywatchers?

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

I failed repeatedly to get any VC army to work that wasn't just stacking necrofex. I just couldn't get any line to hold long enough for my ranged units to take them down, mostly because firearms are so poo poo at firing at things once the distance is closed and you lose all your sight lines.

huh. I found and do find massed handgunners works pretty dang well. Make sure to set them to guard mode so they don't blob up when they get hit and they'll fire in melee making them actually pretty good at fending off even attackers that reach them. Don't go for a traditional 'line' go for patchy mobs in front of a ton of guns. The melee boys won't have to worry about getting overwhelmed because the gunners will melt their attackers off real fast... as for sight lines? pay attention to topography and only shoot downhill I guess. Also gunnery mobs don't fire in volleys and can 'partial fire' if only some of the line has LOS so don't worry about some random hill blocking like, a couple of dudes the majority will still fire at will

Also you can kinda do a chevron formation, two gunners with overlapping fields of fire, cannons in the dips, deckhands or crabs at the peaks. Nothing is safe.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

That worked for me until it didn't. I'd have no problems at all until 60 turns in or something when I started seeing higher tier units and my guys just couldn't keep up.

Ristolaz
Sep 29, 2005

By completely blowing off my BS you have passed the first trial

Motherfucker posted:

They're not ~that~ strong in melee. I would try an army of blood knights and vamp heroes.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

crabs and 2 depth guard with polearms are all the front line you need. It seemed way easier for guns to shoot around the crabs too

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

Agent355 posted:

That worked for me until it didn't. I'd have no problems at all until 60 turns in or something when I started seeing higher tier units and my guys just couldn't keep up.

grab a gunnery wight, their passives are great and they're very useful in general. Mortars are balls, one queen bess can do all their work, carronades on the other hands are great and make excellent support for your handguns for punching over dinos or whatever. Cylostra is the best Vsea lord and her 'everyone's attacks are magic' is great. Don't ignore the red line for any lord. My standard armies are like... lord, vampire lore caster, gunnery wight, queen bess, two carronades, two crabs, two depthguard... and a fuckload of handgunners.

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.

Agent355 posted:

Chevron and/or checkerboard formations are your friend as VC.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l9MxTWaajoA

Once the enemy engages in your front line, you basically get free enfilade fire into them. That's the trick with rifle heavy armies is to give yourself the pockets to shoot through, especially when you don't have speedy flanking guns like Outriders that can quickly reposition.

Ravenfood
Nov 4, 2011

Motherfucker posted:

Noctilus came at me with a full stack of Necrofex as the Huntsmarshal, so I ambushed him. 6 of Wulfhart's buffed huntsmen kill a single one in a volley or two and with ambush, were able to get close enough to start fire almost immediately. Halberdiers, Markus, and the Waywatcher did the rest, mostly.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”

Terminal autist posted:

Shades are worth it if you can afford to field the great sword version. They do more damage than dark shards and can more easily be moved to attack the enemy where they're vulnerable. With the great swords they can also stand up pretty well against infantry that attack them.

My DE armies would be supreme fire sorceress lord on black dragon, fire sorceress, death hag, 6 black guard, 7 shades with great swords, 2 bolt throwers, 2 war hydras.

I would have the black guard hold the line; which they do really well, while the shades and bolt throwers tear everything to shreds, the 2 sorceresses dropping constant burning heads and flame storms and of course the war hydras attacking their flanks and working their way in.

I never had any issues going up against other armies other than the rare all monster dino lizardman army.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Are friendly factions supposed to do vortex rituals now? Tyrion did the first one with me as Teclis and now my bar says it's completed, but the cutscene never fired and the mission to do the first ritual is still active even though I can't do it.

I have no idea what mod would be causing this.

Anno
May 10, 2017

I'm going to drown! For no reason at all!

Potentially interesting new mod alert: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1941333407

Hard to envision how it’ll actually play out but it sounds like a neat idea.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Agent355 posted:

Checkerboard!

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Anno posted:

Potentially interesting new mod alert: https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1941333407

Hard to envision how it’ll actually play out but it sounds like a neat idea.

Oh, that sounds nice. Will probably make the game generally easier and should probably be used along with a region trading mod, but still.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here
Do not try to duel a Khainite Assassin with your baby lord that you just hired for 60 influence two turns ago, learned this the hard way.

Kinda neat, last time I underestimate them though.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

For a Darkblade Mortal Empires campaign, is there a reason to develop the starting Black Ark? The thing's stuck in a lake with 1 port.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

For recruiting units so your settlements can be more economics focussed. Unless theres some unique building improving a unit type I do almost all of my recruitment from black arks.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

dividertabs posted:

For a Darkblade Mortal Empires campaign, is there a reason to develop the starting Black Ark? The thing's stuck in a lake with 1 port.

You can disband it and rehire it in the real ocean with upgrades intact

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Fitzcarraldo taken to the extreme.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

They really just need to update Not-Africa in ME to be the Vortex version.

dividertabs
Oct 1, 2004

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Perfect, thanks

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I think it's actually doable now with the new turn times. Before I didn't like playing ME much because the turn times were ridiculous.

Plus I think Lustria and the Southlands are pretty cool environments to fight in.

I think the empire is pretty boring, seen that map with the huge sigmar statue so many times.

Granted you see the same maps other places too but the one with the statue always stands out to me.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

AAAAA! Real Muenster posted:

They really just need to update Not-Africa in ME to be the Vortex version.

The ME version of the game 2 maps is a letdown because they're so tiny and abbreviated. It looks more like those total conversion mods for medieval 2 that stretch the map to their limits so Italy looks like an L rather than a boot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Arcsquad12 posted:

The ME version of the game 2 maps is a letdown because they're so tiny and abbreviated. It looks more like those total conversion mods for medieval 2 that stretch the map to their limits so Italy looks like an L rather than a boot.
Agreed. I'm okay with adding ~20 more factions to the gaggle we already have if it makes the map better, but I am one of those grand-campaign loving nerds so I understand if I am in the minority.