Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If they actually do the rian Johnson trilogy it’s going to be the most dire poo poo ever especially after watching Knive’s out. He’s extremely overrated.

Lmao what in the gently caress is this Knives Out ruled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

teagone posted:

There's really only one goon posting here who's done this (from what I've seen).

thats probably true i hardly if ever look at usernames on here. you are all NPCs to me named Poster

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Gaunab posted:

It's time to face the fact Finn was just bait to get more black people in theaters.

The Obama effect.

Davros1 posted:

So they just made Finn a "Force-sensitive" like Maz? No real powers?

Depending on the story line force sensitives can eventually become full-fledged jedi but that obviously didn't happen here.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

They should let Zack Snyder direct a Star Wars trilogy.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Bongo Bill posted:

They should let Zack Snyder direct a Star Wars trilogy.

I agree. He’s very good.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

TPM is on TNT and its at the duel of the fates part

gently caress this saber battle was rad

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
I want the Rian trilogy but if Rise of Skywalker underpreforms, we'll probably not see another movie for like ten years.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Movie over. 5/10 max. Not enough ship battles to be worth it.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of weird that they don't follow up the whole "Finn was about to tell
That was 100% stupid JJ mystery bullshit meant to launch a thousand thinkpieces.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

The Mystery Box was Rey’s hoohah

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

If they’re gonna let someone do a new trilogy it should be Sam Esmail

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Mandrel posted:

I love when Qui-Gon straight up backfists Maul.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
The real Star Wars were the friends we made along the way.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

muscles like this! posted:

Kind of weird that they don't follow up the whole "Finn was about to tell Rey something when he thought they were all dying" bit. Also something something Finn is a Jedi? Because he certainly had a lot of feelings about blank and knew when Rey died.

At a certain point in the denouement I realized he wasn't gonna tell her and boy did that take the air out of their group hug for me.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
I think it’s disappointing that this trilogy doesn’t make any attempt to envision what a Jedi philosophy that overcomes the flaws of the prequel era Jedi might actually be. There’s no real sense of what it means to be a Jedi now—Rey is just sort of generically resistant to temptation and overcomes her foes by being real powerful.

So we're left with just the promise of an open future where Rey can shape the Jedi however she chooses—which is exactly where Luke was 35 years earlier.

Mandrel
Sep 24, 2006

Davros1 posted:

it’s dope. Qui Gon was a boss. my favorite part of it is right after that, the little moment when Obi Wan pulls himself up, and DotF is at that quiet part as he looks up to see Qui Gon fighting on alone before he jumps back up to run after them.

Idk why just that little breather and bit of imagery from his perspective always has stuck with me. there’s a really specific sense of place and feeling it conveys

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I agree. He’s very good.

honestly if you like a director disney should be the last company you want them working for

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:

Robotnik Nudes posted:

I agree. He’s very good.

:agreed:

Yeah, the whole thing with Poe and Keri Russell’s character whose name I didn’t catch and can’t remember(sori? Zori?) was so clunky.

I thought Poe and Rey might have been a thing after TLJ, I don’t really know why exactly. It’s not like they shared any scenes together.

Robotnik Nudes
Jul 8, 2013

Brother Entropy posted:

honestly if you like a director disney should be the last company you want them working for

Good point.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
New trilogy directed by Quinten Tarentino.

Establishing shot is whatever his species's equivalent of age 28 Yoda drinking a space milkshake and listening to The Mamas and the Pappas.

Low Desert Punk
Jul 4, 2012

i have absolutely no fucking money
i hope nobody actually believes we'll get a great star wars movie in our lifetimes. there's too much money in it now. now that one movie made a billion dollars every movie has to make a billion dollars or Disney shareholders will cry and poo poo their pants like the babies they are

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Mandrel posted:

it’s dope. Qui Gon was a boss.
For what it's worth, that battle is a whole slice of interesting and dynamic. Park did a great job selling the physicality of Maul. Probably my favorite is when the barriers separate the three and Qui-Gon just kind of zen's out in meditation while Maul paces back and forth like an anxious animal.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Low Desert Punk posted:

i hope nobody actually believes we'll get a great star wars movie in our lifetimes. there's too much money in it now. now that one movie made a billion dollars every movie has to make a billion dollars or Disney shareholders will cry and poo poo their pants like the babies they are

The prequels came out during my lifetime.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
The Last Jedi came out two years ago.

LinYutang
Oct 12, 2016

NEOLIBERAL SHITPOSTER

:siren:
VOTE BLUE NO MATTER WHO!!!
:siren:
If only Obi-Wan had learned Force Heal before TPM, so much death could have been avoided :(

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

FilthyImp posted:

For what it's worth, that battle is a whole slice of interesting and dynamic. Park did a great job selling the physicality of Maul. Probably my favorite is when the barriers separate the three and Qui-Gon just kind of zen's out in meditation while Maul paces back and forth like an anxious animal.

I like the bit in the aftermath of Qui-Gon's death where Obi-Wan is psyching himself up just before the barrier opens.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I also don't think that the gap between Rogue One and greatness was necessarily Disney's fault.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the weirdest thing about all this is watching people who adamantly, furious argued how Great it was that rey was no one and wasn't related to anyone when TLJ came out... are now just going on about how good it is that she's a palpatine

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.

MJeff posted:

At a certain point in the denouement I realized he wasn't gonna tell her and boy did that take the air out of their group hug for me.

Hey, take a moment to think back about everything that happens in the movie. Really let it wash over you. Ok, are you ready?

Hux did more to meaningfully advance the goal of saving the galaxy than Poe and Finn did in the last movie of the trilogy. Literally nothing they did mattered or made sense. Their final "mission" is stupid busy work for babies, predicated on the idea that a ship moving up will suddenly lose the ability to move up if a blinky console thing isn't there to go "No, the direction you are going is still up". They could have died instantly after delivering Hux's message and nothing would have changed. The only thing required for victory in the end is for Lando to Lando it up.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Davros1 posted:

JUDAS EFFECT!!!!!!

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Mandrel posted:

The thing I do appreciate about the fights in the prequels is that you get some continuity in technique from Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan to Anakin. Obi-Wan does Anakin's signature backflip strike over the enemy thing twice in the fight with Maul, and Qui-Gon's style is very similar to how Obi-Wan fights in the Eps 2 and 3.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

Why didn't Kylo just kill Sheev once he revealed the Star Destroyers?

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Zoran posted:

I think it’s disappointing that this trilogy doesn’t make any attempt to envision what a Jedi philosophy that overcomes the flaws of the prequel era Jedi might actually be. There’s no real sense of what it means to be a Jedi now—Rey is just sort of generically resistant to temptation and overcomes her foes by being real powerful.

So we're left with just the promise of an open future where Rey can shape the Jedi however she chooses—which is exactly where Luke was 35 years earlier.

Well, it's a little different. With Luke, Kenobi and Yoda weren't really trying to give him much philosophy. They were just forging a weapon that could kill Vader and the Emperor. What bits they did give Luke cast the Jedi as perfect noble souls who were foully betrayed by Vader and that's why they fell.

Luke's training of Rey involved pounding the idea into her that the Jedi hosed things up royally and were very much fallible. He also shared his own failures as a teacher with her. That perspective is going to be vital when she does choose to train others.

Assuming she doesn't just decide to be a hermit somewhere having spirit sex with Force ghost Ben Solo since Force ghosts can perform physical actions now.

Miching Mallecho
May 24, 2010

:yeshaha:
Why didn’t Sheev’s lightning destroy any of the ships?

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Mat Cauthon posted:

The thing I do appreciate about the fights in the prequels is that you get some continuity in technique from Qui-Gon to Obi-Wan to Anakin. Obi-Wan does Anakin's signature backflip strike over the enemy thing twice in the fight with Maul, and Qui-Gon's style is very similar to how Obi-Wan fights in the Eps 2 and 3.

There was a little of that in the sequels, when Rey in TFA uses a lot of the same sword moves as Sheev.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

LinYutang posted:

If only Obi-Wan had learned Force Heal before TPM, so much death could have been avoided :(

not to mention how much harder it would've been for palpatine to bring anakin to his side if anakin knew he could just force heal padme if she died giving birth

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

The REAL Goobusters posted:

If they actually do the rian Johnson trilogy it’s going to be the most dire poo poo ever especially after watching Knive’s out. He’s extremely overrated.

the last jedi is terrible. I can't understand people who think it was brave or deconstructing star wars when it is so inert and half-measurish

Eimi
Nov 23, 2013

I will never log offshut up.

Brother Entropy posted:

I still want Rian Johnson to direct some cool space opera though. :ohdear: If American anime adaptations weren't cursed I'd root for LoGH.

Eifert Posting
Apr 1, 2007

Most of the time he catches it every time.
Grimey Drawer
The prequels and Solo were all bad. Rots was least bad of these. Return of the Jedi was slightly better.

A New Hope and Force Awakens were OK films and good Star Wars films. RoS was flawed but had some great moments so as a whole I'd say it belongs here.

Rogue One and TLJ were good films on their own.

Empire is the best of the lot.

To me a Star Wars movie is about setting, props, sound design and characters. Kylo saves the new films for me from a character perspective, and the direction of the action setpieces has the weight of the original series that the Prequels lacked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Oven Wrangler
Not to defend the movie too much but Palpatine straight up says that no one has had the ability to heal with the force for centuries.