Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Everyone posted:

Anakin : [telling Padme about the Sand People] I... I killed them. I killed them all. They're dead... every single one of them. And not just the men. But the women... and the children, too. They're like animals, and I slaughtered them like animals! I HATE THEM!

Padme(paraphrased): Oh, Annie! Wanton slaughter makes me sooooo hot for you!

The great sin in the actual dialogue in this scene is being too honest a portrayal of the liberal mindset.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

OK. Let's talk about some good stuff for a bit.

I was pretty impressed with the transport tug-of-war scene. Whereas shooting lightning when trying to pull a thing is p hilarious, the audacity of trying to force pull a moving ship back to ground was amazing I thought.

Seeing the completion of the force jump over the tie fighter from the trailer paid off for me.

I liked NotKorriban's looks

The force mediated exchange of items in the dyad was very interesting to see. And seeing, finally, using the force to heal made me happy.

Finally, a yellow saber to match my original Luke figurine!

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
yet another loving thing

Rey and Kylo are marching angrily toward each other, waves crashing around them, lightsabers out, dicks in the wind.

I'm thinking "oh I get it, this is the big duke-out where they mirror the lava fight in 3 except this time it's WATER! Well that's corny but at least we got a great theme out of it. John Williams better John Williams the gently caress out of this, let's go"

there's no music for that whole fight scene at all

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Hello, can we talk about how Rey is a Mary Sue?

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

2house2fly posted:

It's so loving insane that someone in a writer's room brainstorm said "what about a million billion star destroyers with death star lasers on each one" and instead of killing that person as politely as possible everyone else present just nodded thoughtfully

I feel like that was a bit in a RedLetterMedia video except then they did it for real.

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This was so loving distracting. That was supposed to be their big climactic showdown and oh my god it was so loving nothing. The prequel fights were hyper-choreographed nonsense with no soul but at least that looked cool.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Wow Rocco from mega64 called it years ago

Go to 24:24 on this video (sorry on my phone)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ1ReIIJcz8

Hazo
Dec 30, 2004

SCIENCE

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

yet another loving thing

Rey and Kylo are marching angrily toward each other, waves crashing around them, lightsabers out, dicks in the wind.

I'm thinking "oh I get it, this is the big duke-out where they mirror the lava fight in 3 except this time it's WATER! Well that's corny but at least we got a great theme out of it. John Williams better John Williams the gently caress out of this, let's go"

Seriously, what happened to “John Williams included every Star Wars theme ever in this movie”?

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Zoran posted:

The great sin in the actual dialogue in this scene is being too honest a portrayal of the liberal mindset.

What?

Mulva
Sep 13, 2011
It's about time for my once per decade ban for being a consistently terrible poster.
My favorite bit is after an entire film of pandering he has the new loving robot that is Poe's buddy go off with Rey for....reasons? Rather than the massively thematically appropriate R2. Jesus Christ JJ is there anything you can't sadly gently caress up.

KaptainKrunk
Feb 6, 2006

Neither of them view Sand People as people, so she's not weirded out but his mass murder but more upset that their deaths made him sad.

jisforjosh
Jun 6, 2006

"It's J is for...you know what? Fuck it, jizz it is"

The REAL Goobusters posted:

:laffo:

Timestamped here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CJ1ReIIJcz8?t=1461

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Eifert Posting posted:

Attack of the Clones might be the worst movie I've seen. It's either that or when my parents made me take my sister to Spy Kids 2.

exCUSE me?

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

seriously, Spy Kids 2 is a good movie.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Can’t believe I became a prequel guy and it took 4 disney films (I posted my thoughts about phantom menace in this thread before skywalker came out) and a tv show for me to realize this.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Watching the movie has completely cemented my understanding that anyone who says "wonderful movie, no problems!" is either completely insane or miserably fails the Voight-Kampff test. And yet, that's like everyone. I am surrounded by assholes.

Rise of Skywalker loving sucked rear end and you're all trash if you liked it, I'm sorry.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

seriously, Spy Kids 2 is a good movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RFwyobtnKA

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
the thing i don't get is all the people being like WOW, THEY WORKED IN LEIA'S FOOTAGE SO WELL

like what the gently caress no they didn't, it's HORRIBLE

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Horizon Burning posted:

the thing i don't get is all the people being like WOW, THEY WORKED IN LEIA'S FOOTAGE SO WELL

like what the gently caress no they didn't, it's HORRIBLE

I refer you to Rogue One.

Noam Chomsky
Apr 4, 2019

:capitalism::dehumanize:

Can’t believe I became a prequel guy and it took 4 disney films (I posted my thoughts about phantom menace in this thread before skywalker came out) and a tv show for me to realize this.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CASGNmf0Pec

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

I was going to come up with something clever to say, but I did not like this movie. It was not good. It was bad. Why?

So I'm not going to lie, Sheev randomly rising from the dead like lovely Jesus in the opening crawl came out of nowhere and not in a good way, in a way that screamed "we don't know how to end this trilogy and we hated the Last Jedi". Was this foreshadowed at all or fit into anything? No. Sure, there was the thing in Revenge of the Sith where Palpatine claimed he could escape death, but this was just a lie to get Anakin on his team. It was actually a fairly decent bit of characterization of Palpatine as a lying deceiver fitting with his archetype of the tempter. It's a good thing Charlie from Lost was there to ramble about "dark science!"

Ok. So Sheev has a random fleet of star destroyers that is greater than the First Order's fleet and a bazillion random space officers that he assembled, that can beat the military first First Order hard enough that Sheev feels comfortable issuing that as a threat to Kylo Ren. From what we know of Sheev his entire motivation is that he wants to rule and take power from himself. Hell, his battlecry is literally "UNLIMITED POWER," so his first action to seize power in the galaxy is...to offer to empower Kylo if he kills Rey?

Then we get a bunch of bullshit that doesn't matter because the random rear end droid that replaced R2-D2 apparently knew how to get to Dethklok Planet anyway. Sure. Rey apparently sadistically blows up a spaceship with the force instead of normally blowing up a spaceship. Sure, Hux, a true believer of fascism, has decided to betray Kylo to the ineffectual rebellion instead of the actual fascist emperor who publicly announced himself to the galaxy. Why not.

Then after a bunch of pointless fanservice (Luke lifted the X-Wing! Back to Endor! Han is a force ghost! THIS IS STAR WARS, CARE!) we get the conclusion where, uh, Sheev reveals he is somehow all the Sith at once and they're all on his team, and he wants Rey to be Empress. I guess Darth Plagueis was totally OK with Sheev murdering him? It's dumb nitpicking, but I thought the whole point of the Sith was that they are selfish assholes who explicitly hate each other and plan to murder each other. Why are they all showing up for Sheev's death metal concert?

Ok, Sheev needs to possess Rey for, uh, reasons. Except that he's able to siphon the sheer horniness of Rey and Kylo and that makes him a real boy, and then he's gonna be the emperor. Then Rey gets an anime powerup and rolls real well on her counterspell rolls and Sheev explodes.

I legitimately do not understand why he did this instead of ordering the death fleet into space to reconquer the planets in his name. The First Order military was even answering directly to him anyway!

I know that critiquing plots is 100% of meaningless nerd criticism, but all this movie offered was pointless vignettes that escaped fanfiction.net. I suppose we could discuss the family theme except it seems to be not that Rey is doomed to be evil because of her family, but that her having noble blood lets her be a powerful wizard and earn adoption into the good Skywalker nobility. It's...not great. How about that it's OK to be genocidal until your mom commits suicide and that somehow wipes away all your sins, to the point where Daisy Ridley will make out with you and not the trustworthy and courageous black man who's had your back this entire time.

Anyway, I'm kinda glad this is the last of these for a while because my god, this was bad.

The D in Detroit
Oct 13, 2012
Very disappointed that Palpatine didn’t come back as an Ewok tbh

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Locke Dunnegan posted:

Having just watched A Marriage Story after missing most of Driver's other recent roles, I think he did okay given what he hadz

[if this was posted before I’m sorry.]

“I can’t believe people told me you were too selfish to use the light side of the force, and I loving defended you!” // “You used me to use leave Kef Bir! And then you blamed me for it!!”

Golden Bee fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Dec 21, 2019

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
So did Palp's big plan just completely change in the last few minutes? He spent, 20 years? Formulating this plan to get Rey there to do some ceremony of her killing him and his spirit passes into her and she then rules. But then when he force pulls Rey and Kylo to their knees some of their energy transfers to him and he begins healing his body and its like he's surprised by this and their dyadness and he's like "gently caress this i'm just gonna heal myself instead and she can die". Is that what happened? Did he, this somehow almost all powerful being who has been inside Kylo's head for ages somehow not know about their dyad powers at all?

Also my friend just saw it and messaged me like - "so they're all celebrating killing the emperor and the destruction of his empire so that they can restore the republic and live in peace and I should be happy about this? Even though that is exactly what they did at the end of ROTJ and the republic was still dominated by the first order and the emperor still lived? Why should I feel remotely like celebrating with them when the chances are this is just going to happen again?" .. and, yeah.

thepokey fucked around with this message at 07:05 on Dec 21, 2019

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

thepokey posted:

So did Palp's big plan just completely change in the last few minutes? He spent, 20 years? Formulating this plan to get Rey there to do some ceremony of her killing him and his spirit passes into her and she then rules. But then when he force pulls Rey and Kylo to their knees some of their energy transfers to him and he begins healing his body and its like he's surprised by this and their dyadness and he's like "gently caress this i'm just gonna heal myself instead and she can die". Is that what happened? Did he, this somehow almost all powerful being who has been inside Kylo's head for ages somehow not know about their dyad powers at all?

Also my friend just saw it and messaged me like - "so they're all celebrating killing the emperor and the destruction of his empire so that they can restore the republic and live in peace and I should be happy about this? Even though that is exactly what they did at the end of ROTJ and the republic was still dominated by the first order and the emperor still lived? Why should I feel remotely like celebrating with them when the chances are this is just going to happen again?" .. and, yeah.

For bonus points Vader's redemption and sacrifice was retconned to be completely worthless!

As far as I can tell that's what happened?

This movie was dumb.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

My brain is thoroughly broken by, let me clear, not this dumb movie. This movie is stupid and moronic and that is understandable, it tracks, it makes Euclidean sense.

What broke my brain is that people like this film.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
This movie was so much worse than I anticipated. I was with it for the first two acts but it fell off a cliff after Han showed up. It’s like they gave up and I wanted to walk out.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

And it can't possibly be bots. I saw people talking about it outside the theater and some neckbeard was like "IT WAS PURE FANSERVICE! IT WAS THE BEST OF ALL THE STAR WARS MOVIES!".

I hate Star Wars, and I hate Star Wars fans. gently caress you.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR
Some people just want to watch the ships go zap and the swords go whoosh, it's not a big deal.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
i want to watch people try and defend "chewie gets a medal"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

NowonSA speculated Rey being descended from Palpatine a few hours after seeing TFA on preview night. I can't quote the post, so here's a screenshot:

If you have archives and search "Rey Palpatine" on the forums, NowonSA's post is the first occurrence of it being brought up in CD.

I also remember other goons speculating Rey being a Palpatine because of her instinctive fighting style with the lightsaber at the end of TFA looked similar to Sheev's when he was fighting against Windu and the other council members. Lmao.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

MJeff posted:

Some people just want to watch the ships go zap and the swords go whoosh, it's not a big deal.

I do too and this movie sucked at even that.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
Even if the docking on an enemy ship thing is ridiculous by this point, the hallway fight and laser scene was well staged.
And Hux betraying Kylo makes absolute sense. Any remotely competent person we know the emperor is a force Cesar and would probably take Kylo’s boss, especially after Kylo just killed the last boss. Multiple times in the first few movies Kylo gets in his face and humiliate him, often front of his staff.

it’s probably the most reasonable decision made by someone in the movie.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

teagone posted:

NowonSA speculated Rey being descended from Palpatine a few hours after seeing TFA on preview night. I can't quote the post, so here's a screenshot:

Something Awful Pro Tip:

You can quote a post from a locked thread by grabbing its post ID from the URL.

TheGreatEvilKing
Mar 28, 2016

Golden Bee posted:

Even if the docking on an enemy ship thing is ridiculous by this point, the hallway fight and laser scene was well staged.
And Hux betraying Kylo makes absolute sense. Any remotely competent person we know the emperor is a force Cesar and would probably take Kylo’s boss, especially after Kylo just killed the last boss. Multiple times in the first few movies Kylo gets in his face and humiliate him, often front of his staff.

it’s probably the most reasonable decision made by someone in the movie.

The weird thing to me is not that Hux betrays Kylo, it's that Hux betrays Kylo to the rebels and not Sheev.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

MJeff posted:

Something Awful Pro Tip:

You can quote a post from a locked thread by grabbing its post ID from the URL.

ty goon sir

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I mean, it is an extremely stupid movie, but I'm not above having fun at an extremely stupid movie.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

TheGreatEvilKing posted:

The weird thing to me is not that Hux betrays Kylo, it's that Hux betrays Kylo to the rebels and not Sheev.

hux is not very capable, and he was apparently using the rebels to set up kylo before he even knew sheev existed, so there's sunk cost there I guess.

i dunno, he's a dumb character with like 7 lines in the whole thing anyway

Hobo Clown
Oct 16, 2012

Here it is, Baby.
Your killer track.

teagone posted:

If you have archives and search "Rey Palpatine" on the forums, NowonSA's post is the first occurrence of it being brought up in CD.

I also remember other goons speculating Rey being a Palpatine because of her instinctive fighting style with the lightsaber at the end of TFA looked similar to Sheev's when he was fighting against Windu and the other council members. Lmao.

So was that JJ's plan all along and he never bothered to tell anyone? Or was Rian Johnson well aware and he decided to toss it anyway and there was nothing Disney could do about it?

I'm almost 100% positive that these movies were written one at a time.

psyman
Nov 1, 2008
In an ironic way, I think all of the mindless bandwagon loathing of the PT on the web and these forums (even still in this thread) is exactly why the sequel trilogy has turned out to be so lame. It really seems to have been designed to spite the prequels by avoiding everything in them, instead of identifying what worked for audiences and combining the strongest parts of the OT with the strongest of the PT.

The prequels had a lot of flaws, wooden acting, etc, but at least Episodes 2 & 3 lived up to the “Wars” part by advancing military science-fiction design with many more interesting planets and vehicles (nothing in the ST matches the Republic Gunships for exciting action scenes) and Ep 3 in particular is still a gorgeous film.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Palpatine's fighting style in Episode 3 was at least partially constrained by Ian McDarmid not being able to do all that much, so the scenes where he wasn't being body doubled out are pretty basic. So Rey using a basic style, due to being decent at fighting but having never used a lightsaber before, would sort of end up being a natural consequence regardless of their intentions. You'd have to go out of your way to direct Daisy Ridley to try and emulate someone else to avoid looking like Palpatine at least a little.

That said, this video points out some of the similarities. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kDBjej64ESo

ungulateman fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Dec 21, 2019