Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

“We don’t really know where this goes — and I’m not sure we really care.”
I still can't get over how good shows look on my LG C8 55" TV.

The difference from 1080p to 4k is insane.

It's almost like looking through a window directly at everything happening the resolution is so high.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

Mustang posted:

I still can't get over how good shows look on my LG C8 55" TV.

The difference from 1080p to 4k is insane.

It's almost like looking through a window directly at everything happening the resolution is so high.

I just finished S4 as a dirty bookreader and wow
Makes me want to upgrade from a 1080 tv and an original apple tv

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

When I bought my C8 OLED and it was on sale for $1000 when it was a $2300 TV. Thought I might regret spending so much on a TV but God drat is it impressive.

If you have the money to spare I would definitely day it's worth the jump. Even standard non-OLED 4k TVs are affordable now.

The Roku ones are pretty good and cheap.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

so OLED and TV gaming is affordable and cool now?

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
I think OLED burn in is real if you game or anything with static elements.

Still local dimming LED backlighting is the best overall tech right now.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just finished Witcher episode 1, I totally dig the right scenes with Geralt.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Wasabi the J posted:

I think OLED burn in is real if you game or anything with static elements.

I don't watch Fox News 24/7 but I have had my OLED TV for 2 years and don't see any burn-in

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

Just check out any of the YouTube videos on OLED burn in, specifically newer OLEDs.

Essentially if you don't leave your OLED on like FOX News or something with static images for literally all day every day you don't have anything to worry about.

Mustang
Jun 18, 2006

I've got "toss a coin to your Witcher!" Stuck in my head now. It's catchy.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
Witcher is good but I want season 2, drat you Netflix. My only prior exposure to the series has been reading posts in he gaming thread

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
Witcher is ok. But drat they really skip the gently caress around on timelines and if you know nothing about it can get really confused up till they show the Foltest painting.

It should be like 10+ episodes more and ciri should be younger.

because geralt and vesimir train her in the witchers ways before the age she is shown on screen

ded
Oct 27, 2005

Kooler than Jesus
also gently caress December and the christmas poo poo. Everything bad always happens now and today was no exception.

edit :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xF0cGt5-69k

ded fucked around with this message at 12:07 on Dec 21, 2019

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
/\ You good?

Wooo. Woke up heaving, had vomit coming out my nose. Can't smell anything pleasant at the moment, just gonna smoke another cigarette and add to the problem.

Oh it's the solstice, too. Give me back my daylight.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

ded posted:

Witcher is ok. But drat they really skip the gently caress around on timelines and if you know nothing about it can get really confused up till they show the Foltest painting.

It should be like 10+ episodes more and ciri should be younger.

because geralt and vesimir train her in the witchers ways before the age she is shown on screen

Can someone loving clif notes the first episode for me since I haven’t played the games? I think the young princess is the same as Nefri but they have different color hair and I don’t know wtf.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon
The one thing I didn’t realize until like episode 3 was The blond girl’s story is present day, everything else is the decades leading up to it

Brute Squad
Dec 20, 2006

Laughter is the sun that drives winter from the human race

somehow between a long amtrak ride and sleeping funny i pulled a muscle in my neck so bad that it radiates up into my scalp. Hooray holiday muscle relaxants.

Finished the expanse just in time for witcher to drop. A holiday miracle.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Haha. Just left a dispensary I hit once a month or so. Talked shop, mentioned I was seeking new employment. Walked out with recommendations for two different grows, one half the distance to my last. The tenders know me well enough, know where I worked, know other people at that company, seems like they'd be happy to see me somewhere better too.

My anxiety about leaving this grow needed some calming, that helped rather well. Industry folks just trying to help other industry folk, renews what little spirit I have left for the weed path, seems making money is priority for almost all of these fucks out here. Leave it to true stoners to show some humanity and put up a lead.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

I cannot wait to move back to western Virginia where every street and store isn’t completely loving choked with people

I’m really starting to loathe Colorado. Id absolutely lose my mind somewhere like LA or NoVA.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I still love Colorado, but the magic is fading. Looking forward to getting up there in elevation, away from people, make the mail bring all my poo poo that I can't grow or do without (rolling papers may grow on trees, but I'm not making my own). It gets ridiculously cold up there at night though, poo poo was in the -30° to -40°F range up in that area earlier this week.

Getting away from the cities will be a good deal of help to my mental health. So drat tired of peoples' poo poo en masse. At least enough space to target shoot a little on the property, have some chickens and a barn, maybe a goat to liven poo poo up.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The example my mind keeps going back to is when I picked out a hiking spot three hours away to enjoy nature away from people and had to wait an hour to park because the line was backed up into the highway.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

On the other hand I sure as poo poo can’t get conveyor belt sushi in the Blue Ridge so my heart would break a little bit moving back

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I didn't realize there were no white castles here before I moved, and I haven't found my liquid crack, Sun Drop. drat I want a sun drop so loving bad.

But, but, this state has been the most progressive one I've lived in. The Springs isn't bad, but it's far from perfect. I'm mostly just sick of other people. Fewer neighbors, less worries. Dark skies west of the pikes peak range are more inviting, even if that means being without some conveniences. I'm not particularly worried about touristy poo poo, I can just go to the local state park and explore. It might be a bit dry and cold up there, but there's an abundance of wildlife poo poo, and if I have land to work, I'll build. Maybe not anything fancy, but sturdy and well anchored to a concrete pad below.

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

I still love Colorado, but the magic is fading. Looking forward to getting up there in elevation, away from people, make the mail bring all my poo poo that I can't grow or do without (rolling papers may grow on trees, but I'm not making my own). It gets ridiculously cold up there at night though, poo poo was in the -30° to -40°F range up in that area earlier this week.

Getting away from the cities will be a good deal of help to my mental health. So drat tired of peoples' poo poo en masse. At least enough space to target shoot a little on the property, have some chickens and a barn, maybe a goat to liven poo poo up.

Friend I grew up with had a pet goat. It was the funniest thing watching the years long escalation between him and his hoofed Houdini. Didn't have to worry about brush or brambles or anything like that on his land. Just let the goat go to town on whatever it was.

Still think they have freaky weird eyes though.

bengy81
May 8, 2010
Living here sucks balls lately. I moved from South Denver to Northern Colorado last year, and that helped a little, but it's still overcrowded. I really hope Polis and Co can figure out how to get out from under TABOR, its strangling the state and we should be prospering considering all the growth.

We stopped going into the mountains because there are two many people. Nothing worse than getting stuck on hwy 24 behind a group of motorcyclist going 20 miles under the speed limit, or stepping in human poo poo half a mile into a hiking trail.
We just drove into Longmont to take the kids to my parents house and traffic on I-25 was gridlocked...

At 3:30...

On a Saturday afternoon...

I dunno, when you cam get into them and get a table the breweries are still cool, legal weed is cool, and the mountains are slightly less crowded if you go to the northwest, but man I hear Montana or Wyoming calling my name.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I see Montana or Wyoming as possibilities in the future, something to leave my nieces and nephews when I die, a place to go if poo poo does go south. Climate crisis and all that jazz.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Gotta say I feel bad for you all suffering in Colorado. I’d suggest you consider moving to the DC area but I don’t want you transplants clogging up our pristine and uncrowded Beltway, jacking up our low costs of living, or undermining the empathy and love that everyone treats each other with here.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Lol.

Traffic and cost of living are probably my biggest complaints. This is no Memphis, but it's not a small town either.

BigDave
Jul 14, 2009

Taste the High Country
Minnesota is still a pretty baller place to live, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Still no legal weed thou.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Virginia seems on the cusp of genuine progression and I hope whatever misery the 2020 election brings doesn't disillusion people from making things better locally

not caring here
Feb 22, 2012

blazemastah 2 dry 4 u

nwin posted:

Can someone loving clif notes the first episode for me since I haven’t played the games? I think the young princess is the same as Nefri but they have different color hair and I don’t know wtf.

Are you talking about Ciri and Renfri? Because they are definitely not the same person.

The series itself is a bit wonky in the first few episodes but it really hits its stride later on.

pantslesswithwolves
Oct 28, 2008

Ba-dam ba-DUMMMMMM

Saw the Rise of Skywalker. Spoilers ahead:

I thought the first six episodes of the saga were basically about a domestic dispute with galactic implications, but in true 2019 form, the final film of the saga underscores that it's actually about old white men grooming impressionable youngsters to do their bidding. Essentially this means that Epstein didn't kill himself Vader's sacrifice at the end of RoTJ meant nothing.

Fun movie but don't go reading into the franchise as anything more than space wizards with laser swords or else you'll tear out all the hairs on your neckbeard thinking about narrative holes you could drive a truck through.

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Finished my masters this week. thank god that's over with.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

Congrats!

I only did a post-grad cert, and another year of that sounded like too much for me to handle.

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

pantslesswithwolves posted:

Saw the Rise of Skywalker. Spoilers ahead:

I thought the first six episodes of the saga were basically about a domestic dispute with galactic implications, but in true 2019 form, the final film of the saga underscores that it's actually about old white men grooming impressionable youngsters to do their bidding. Essentially this means that Epstein didn't kill himself Vader's sacrifice at the end of RoTJ meant nothing.

Fun movie but don't go reading into the franchise as anything more than space wizards with laser swords or else you'll tear out all the hairs on your neckbeard thinking about narrative holes you could drive a truck through.

I used to read a lot of the EU books and all of the worst ones brought Palpatine back in one form or another instead of trying to create new villains and story lines

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?
"Installed" my new growing lamps. My little ones are going to get blasted by a total of 120 Watts in red/blue/broad-spectrum LEDs between four lamps around New Year's.
I don't think I've ever had more than 100 Watts of lighting with regular incandescent lighting in a single room in any of my previous apartments, now I have 120 Watts just for my plants.

I'm ready for the 2020 chili season.

The second pic is not with my lights off, by the way, that's just my camera's exposure sensor screaming "WHAT HATH HUMANITY WROUGHT?!?".

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Only a loving German would go to those lengths for chilli

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
Yeah try taking a picture in a room full of HPS lamps running 10% over their rating. You get similar white balance issues.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

CRUSTY MINGE posted:

Yeah try taking a picture in a room full of HPS lamps running 10% over their rating. You get similar white balance issues.

I actually looked into HPS lighting for my next setup (:cripes:), but the performance was just leagues beyond anything I needed, and the operating costs were through the roof compared to a LED setup. Since I'm running my growing lamps only as a supplemental lighting setup to push my plants through March, it wouldn't have made sense anyway. I checked out some of the bigger full-spectrum LED products that would give me that extra kick in canopy penetration once my plants get bigger, but the spike in cost simply didn't justify my usage profile and, uh "size of operation".

Since I only raise about 20 plants at any given time, and move them outdoors between March and October, the 600W HID-equivalent lighting I looked at - while enticing, because :lol: - would have just been comical levels of inappropriate for what I'm doing. The TaoTronics products seem to be a lot more popular for amateur growers that are going for supplemental lighting, and since we're talking chilis and not weed here, that's more than enough for my purposes.

I have 50 Watts in two triple-necked red/blue growing lights with clamps that I get to take home over Christmas to light the plants I've already potted, so I'm okay with this static setup for now. If I end up with more than 15 seeds of my second chili batch spawning, then I guess I'll move one of the lamps to my other windowsill and just hand out some more plants to work colleagues. Because those two lamps blasting straight down on one windowsill currently looks like some biblical reckoning.

I'm also really hyped for what some of my seedlings turn out as. I tried to cross-pollenate a bunch of my Reapers with two other strains of my chilis, and I really would love to see if they actually turn out to be legit hybrids.
My "money-crop" for 2020 is going to be Lemon Drops and Ajit Pineapple, with Chocolate Habaneros to pick up the slack on the higher-end spectrum, and because they work so loving well in BBQ sauces.

Did I mention I'm hyped?

Slim Pickens
Jan 12, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Merry Christmas goons, make sure to chill your cookie dough more than I did or it spreads out during baking!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bloops
Dec 31, 2010

Thanks Ape Pussy!
Mr Robot stuck the landing. What a show.