Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Locke Dunnegan posted:

I just saw this movie and it was dogshit from the start when the end of the first paragraph of the title crawl spoiled itself, which is funny because the trailers ALSO spoiled that reveal but it's like they went out of their way to take any mystery of discovery out of the film even for people who avoid the surrounding media blitz.

Having just watched A Marriage Story after missing most of Driver's other recent roles, I think he did okay given what he had, but wow this movie had the pace, lack of coherence, and stakes of a kid's show, which it IS, gently caress me

This is something people aren't talking about much. I think this movie represents Disney downshifting the age the series is going to be tailored to going forward. Maybe to scrape off some of the older eyes from the product, who caused much of the debate and controversy over the last couple movies (however you feel about it), and grab up more younger ones, who'll likely just love all the cool shiny toyetic tech, cute animals, and entertaining romps, if the taioring to the older crowds in storytelling and themes don't turn them off.

It's already a kids series with themes for adults-on-down. But now its gonna have more actiony kid friendly toy commercial elements and less thoughtful and introspectiveness. Probably even compared to the previous movies. Doubly so now that the old characters are dead as gently caress and Disney built their Jedi Princess Goddess (no sarcasm at all, Rey is cool as poo poo now and I want a open world game where she flies around and fucks poo poo up). People could feel it in the air with Rebels when it first dropped, Rogue One's family friendly reshoots, Solo's lack of bite, and Disney finally being like "This is Transformers now. gently caress off now. You older voices starting drama and confusing our writers is messing with our money!" with RoS is them going all in on that.

RoS felt like live action Rebels. Like, an unlimited budget 2 hour episode of Rebels would look and feel very similar to RoS. Quick pacing, snappy action, quips and poo poo talking while getting shot at, comedy, broad simple emotional themes and moments. I like Rebels a lot, even more than Clone Wars, for leaning more lighthearted and digestible. I'm down if Star Wars looks more like this in the future. Yes, I accept all criticism. :kiddo: But.....I know how it feels when a product you love starts looking unrecognizable due to market pressures and I do feel kinda sorry for people sad or mad that Star Wars morphed into something that isn't for them anymore. Finding, or losing, things you like is hard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

You can't really blame anyone but Lucas for that, he didn't even respect his own movies when he made the prequels.

What about the prequels suggests that bloodlines are particularly important?

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dishwasher posted:

This is something people aren't talking about much. I think this movie represents Disney downshifting the age the series is going to be tailored to going forward. Maybe to scrape off some of the older eyes from the product, who caused much of the debate and controversy over the last couple movies (however you feel about it), and grab up more younger ones, who'll likely just love all the cool shiny toyetic tech, cute animals, and entertaining romps, if the taioring to the older crowds in storytelling and themes don't turn them off.

It's already a kids series with themes for adults-on-down. But now its gonna have more actiony kid friendly toy commercial elements and less thoughtful and introspectiveness. Probably even compared to the previous movies. Doubly so now that the old characters are dead as gently caress and Disney built their Jedi Princess Goddess (no sarcasm at all, Rey is cool as poo poo now and I want a open world game where she flies around and fucks poo poo up). People could feel it in the air with Rebels when it first dropped, Rogue One's family friendly reshoots, Solo's lack of bite, and Disney finally being like "This is Transformers now. gently caress off now. You older voices starting drama and confusing our writers is messing with our money!" with RoS is them going all in on that.

RoS felt like live action Rebels. Like, an unlimited budget 2 hour episode of Rebels would look and feel very similar to RoS. Quick pacing, snappy action, quips and poo poo talking while getting shot at, comedy, broad simple emotional themes and moments. I like Rebels a lot, even more than Clone Wars, for leaning more lighthearted and digestible. I'm down if Star Wars looks more like this in the future. Yes, I accept all criticism. :kiddo: But.....I know how it feels when a product you love starts looking unrecognizable due to market pressures and I do feel kinda sorry for people sad or mad that Star Wars morphed into something that isn't for them anymore. Finding, or losing, things you like is hard.

Rebels was way loving smarter than this schlock, and had some genuinely great arcs, like a character coming to terms with her guilt over "abandoning" her friend and mentor, or an old and tired man who feels discarded by the galaxy and wants nothing more than to watch it burn (but has traces of humanity left that show in his tutelage of a young man)

Name anything is this schlockfest that has any of that pathos

I would compare this to a GI Joe episode over an arc driven seasonal show

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Dec 21, 2019

thepokey
Jul 20, 2004

Let me start off with a basket of chips. Then move on to the pollo asado taco.
I also got a chuckle out of Maz having to basically look directly into camera and explain what Leia was doing and why it was going to kill her (that she somehow knew just by Leia walking). Absolutely spoon feeding this stuff to the audience like we couldn't have worked it out. I can only imagine they got scared people would not know what was happening because clearly it was meant to be Leia appearing to Kylo, not Han, but you know, circumstances and all.

You contrast that with something like Luke going into the cave on Degoba and Yoda only saying "only what you take with you" - its pretty easy to understand but I imagine if that scene was done now Yoda would have to explain in detail exactly what is happening in the cave.

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

Honestly this film is just slightly worse than TFA imo. And most of that is because they brought back Palpatine and that's just dumb. The rest like TFA is just a stupid fun adventure with some good scenes with Rey and Kylo mixed in, so basically like the last two. Like yea you can roll your eyes at everything in this movie and say it was terrible but you can literally do that for nearly every scene in both sequels. I think people are just exhausted by the sequels at this point and the hate is overblown. It's a solid 5/10. Though if you loved it you're loving nuts.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

Thinking about it, I think the movie is fine. I find the faults more on the silly, fun to joke about side of things as opposed to something to actually get upset about.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT

Just Chamber posted:

It's a solid 5/10. Though if you loved it you're loving nuts.

Eh, I dunno. TFA was a solid 5/10, this movie is definitely worse. At least TFA didn't have anything quite as egregious as "chewie gets a medal". This is the "Into Darkness" of Star Wars: a tone poem of half-remembered themes and references that amounts to nothing in the end except a fleeting sense of nostalgia

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Thinking about it, I think the movie is fine. I find the faults more on the silly, fun to joke about side of things as opposed to something to actually get upset about.

I absolutely laughed at the nonsensical Death Star Destroyers oh yeah

I took more issue with characterization, but it's just a dumb loud film honestly

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations
What was the crowd like at everyone’s showing? I saw it the first night and the crowd was mostly silent the whole film. (Except during the opening crawl and at the end.) I’ve never seen a crowd for a new Star Wars film that silent.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
I think I dozed off during Leia death. How did she die? Was she trying to force FaceTime Kylo but he didn’t pick up and her battery died for good?

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Spacebump posted:

What was the crowd like at everyone’s showing? I saw it the first night and the crowd was mostly silent the whole film. (Except during the opening crawl and at the end.)

Hyped at the start but the movie lost most of them halfway through. A single person cheered/clapped at the kiss (then immediately stopped when no one joined) but there was a ton of “what the christ” at the ending and no real fanfare or clapping when the credits rolled. And this was first showing with a ton of people dressed in character and rocking a ton of Star Wars swag.

Duckula
Aug 31, 2001

do not resuscitate

The best part about Chewbacca getting a medal is that it's done so unceremoniously that it's laughable. It's a loving Family Guy joke but in a real movie.

Shoulda landed a moon on him.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Happy Noodle Boy posted:

Hyped at the start but the movie lost most of them halfway through. A single person cheered/clapped at the kiss (then immediately stopped when no one joined) but there was a ton of “what the christ” at the ending and no real fanfare or clapping when the credits rolled. And this was first showing with a ton of people dressed in character and rocking a ton of Star Wars swag.

This was like the same at my showing, clapping and cheering when the titles came on, giddy girls during the kiss and some forced half hearted cheers when it ended.

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Honestly I will blame the trilogy on JJ. sure rian hosed it all up but the force awakens was basically meaningless mysteries that amounted to nothing. He copied the script to a new hope and had a bunch of weird jokes and gags that made it feel like a Marvel movie. They spent months hyping the captain phasma and the knights of ren only for them to not appear. All the interesting stuff was shrouded in mystery boxes. And they hosed over the most interesting character: Finn

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Spacebump posted:

What was the crowd like at everyone’s showing? I saw it the first night and the crowd was mostly silent the whole film. (Except during the opening crawl and at the end.) I’ve never seen a crowd for a new Star Wars film that silent.

Mine was very dead.

Beeez
May 28, 2012
While I think JJ played a big part overall in the meaninglessness of this trilogy, I don't think marketing can be blamed on him. Disney hyped up characters like Phasma because they wanted people to buy merchandise, I don't think JJ had a say in what stuff marketing highlights.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Eh, I dunno. TFA was a solid 5/10, this movie is definitely worse. At least TFA didn't have anything quite as egregious as "chewie gets a medal". This is the "Into Darkness" of Star Wars: a tone poem of half-remembered themes and references that amounts to nothing in the end except a fleeting sense of nostalgia

TROS does hit higher highs with the death star wreckage duel and force connection fight on kijimi for me compared to anything from TFA, with Daisy and Adam acting their asses off as well. Those bits edge out TROS over TFA slightly imo, but I still acknowledge that TFA is the better movie overall. TROS has just way more lol-worthy crap, like the Chewie medal BS.

[edit] I also like when Rey and Ben are struggling over the transport on Pasana.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Just Chamber posted:

Honestly this film is just slightly worse than TFA imo. And most of that is because they brought back Palpatine and that's just dumb. The rest like TFA is just a stupid fun adventure with some good scenes with Rey and Kylo mixed in, so basically like the last two. Like yea you can roll your eyes at everything in this movie and say it was terrible but you can literally do that for nearly every scene in both sequels. I think people are just exhausted by the sequels at this point and the hate is overblown. It's a solid 5/10. Though if you loved it you're loving nuts.

It's just a movie. A godawful 1.5/5 mess of a movie, but a movie. What really brings the hate is people. People are the worst part of it all and what deserve the most scorn. Whoever loves this film is insane or evil.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Beeez posted:

While I think JJ played a big part overall in the meaninglessness of this trilogy, I don't think marketing can be blamed on him. Disney hyped up characters like Phasma because they wanted people to buy merchandise, I don't think JJ had a say in what stuff marketing highlights.

I mean you put Gwendoline Christie, riding high from GOT while it was still great, in a badass chrome trooper suit you best believe they’re going to hype that up.

Now them doing absolutely nothing with her I blame JJ. She was wasted.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Folks, I saw a star war

I have mixed feelings overall and I'm sure none of this is new territory.

Firstly I hate that they made her a Palpatine.
It feels like they did it just to tell all the adult babies "It's okay that a woman is powerful because she has the magic blood of an old guy."

I'm so very tired of everyone of importance being part of some royal lineage. If we have a Jedi protagonist in the next trilogy, I want them to be powerful on their own merits.

The reason and resolution to this trilogy felt like a DnD campaign where the DM got impatient that no one was picking up on story clues so they made the BBEG show up on their front door to yell, "HELLO!"

So Rey's power has increased an enormous amount since the last movie but now it's okay because she's a Palpatine and got some training from Leia?
Take out the magic blood aspect and people would be furious.
I like her power increase especially after the thought she killed Chewie. Her wild magic making her afraid and tempted by the dark side is was more interesting than her being tempted because of her lineage.

I hated how often they repeated lines for comedic effect.

A large portion of this move felt like they were trying to say most of TLJ didn't matter or really happen. LTJ was the most interesting SW movie we've had in a good while but since it wasn't about an invincible hero doing no wrong and beating up bad guys, loud members of the audience got bent out of shape.

I really wanted more story about how the Jedi were super loving wrong about how they handled the Force and their training. Most of them, at best, were red tape slinging government drones.

Inzombiac fucked around with this message at 17:20 on Dec 21, 2019

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Watching the fandom turn on the franchise is a good sneak peak into how things are going to look when people start seeing through the Marvel veneer.

I can’t wait.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

ruddiger posted:

Watching the fandom turn on the franchise is a good sneak peak into how things are going to look when people start seeing through the Marvel veneer.

I can’t wait.

Are they, though? There's a large contingent of people who love the movie, enough to spam the gently caress out of the...hashtag...

The hashtag can't be trusted, I think that's the problem.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

:lol: :lol: :lol:

https://twitter.com/thr/status/1208143510957891585?s=21

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Pollyanna posted:

It's just a movie. A godawful 1.5/5 mess of a movie, but a movie. What really brings the hate is people. People are the worst part of it all and what deserve the most scorn. Whoever loves this film is insane or evil.

I think maybe you should take a breather and watch something you're a genuine fan of as a palate cleanser.

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

teagone posted:

[edit] I also like when Rey and Ben are struggling over the transport on Pasana.

I liked when the transport they struggled so much over turned out to not be the one carrying Chewie, despite no other transport ships nearby in the desert for miles

CaptainApathyUK
Sep 6, 2010

Absolutely no chance this doesn't just get written off as "TLJ poisoned the well" like they did with Solo.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Kill All Cops posted:

I liked when the transport they struggled so much over turned out to not be the one carrying Chewie, despite no other transport ships nearby in the desert for miles

Abrams mystery!!!!

SUNKOS
Jun 4, 2016

Given the ending I guess Mace Windu really was loving up Palp something fierce after all? Same thing this time only without Anakin around to save him. They even did the same setup with Rey dabbling in the dark side like Windu did.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Ahahahahaha! Mystery box not working JJ?

Ingmar terdman
Jul 24, 2006

Spacebump posted:

-clapped three times during the top gun trailer
-clapped at pretty much every Old Thing including the shot of Rey wearing Luke's helmet
-teenage girls screamed when the kiss happened and then they and other people broke out laughing that he immediately dies

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

ruddiger posted:

I can’t wait.

What a weird swing at marvel movies.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Gaunab posted:

What a weird swing at marvel movies.

It’s more of a swing at the fandom surrounding it who support the MCU’s pro-capitalist establishment ideology.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Horizon Burning posted:

TFA opens with the old guy telling Kylo he can't deny his bloodline by taking on a new name even, lmao

LMAO Christ they really half-assed everything about this movie.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

TulliusCicero posted:

Rebels was way loving smarter than this schlock, and had some genuinely great arcs, like a character coming to terms with her guilt over "abandoning" her friend and mentor, or an old and tired man who feels discarded by the galaxy and wants nothing more than to watch it burn (but has traces of humanity left that show in his tutelage of a young man)

Name anything is this schlockfest that has any of that pathos

I would compare this to a GI Joe episode over an arc driven seasonal show

Nah, you're absolutely right. Rebels is loving great and is unfairly maligned, so totally bad example. G.I. Joe and other similar toy commercials are a much better example good sir. But the point stands: its a definite course correction corporate film to probably double down on what their investment is truly about after TLJ muddled things. Merchandise, toys, broad mass appeal, and digestibility.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Dishwasher posted:

Nah, you're absolutely right. Rebels is loving great and is unfairly maligned, so totally bad example. G.I. Joe and other similar toy commercials are a much better example good sir. But the point stands: its a definite course correction corporate film to probably double down on what their investment is truly about after TLJ muddled things. Merchandise, toys, broad mass appeal, and digestibility.

That I completely agree with

I will make bets that the Death Star Destroyer will be a lego set in a week

Ringo Star Get
Sep 18, 2006

JUST FUCKING TAKE OFF ALREADY, SHIT
I wished the trilogy showed Rey slowly embracing the anger inside her over not knowing who or where her parents are, while Kylo slowly embraces the good in him as he starts to feel more and more isolated. It could have ended with Kylo accepting a return to the light side while Rey realizes, after a series of dark-side-like acts, that she needs to escape and hide away from everyone. Kylo would them search for her, and find her - and offer his hand much like Rey offer Luke the lightsaber at the end of TFA.

Plasma should have been a persistent antagonist that is hell bent on killing deserters, hunting them down Terminator style. It could have been a final fight between Phasma and Finn as he proves he’s not a number, but has a name.

TFA should have started with Poe and the New Republic fighting the First Order, and then when Starkiller blows up the planets, becomes the Resistance in TLJ, with limited resources.

The fault I see is that there isn’t any real time change between the movies. It feels like this all happened within a year, and maybe it did? It just felt all rushed for the sake of “hey look at all this stuff happening! We are never loving stopping!”

All in all, I give TROS a C+. Adam Driver is becoming one of my favorite actors, and the scenes with him and Rey were all good. I didn’t like the space battle, didn’t like how everything was rushed around, and it all felt like it was a haphazard editing job because of time constraints.

Exagol as a location/planet shouldn’t have existed. Palpatine should have been still operating and pulling the strings from the wreckage of the Death Star. Didn’t need the hundreds of Death Star Destroyers at all, just have Sheev using the Dark Side to bring the giant super laser out of the Death Star and calling it the loving Dark Saber.

I’m glad Mandalorian exists, Fallen Order, and Rebels show. There’s great Star Wars media, and side stories that can carry the legacy and story.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Spacebump posted:

My crowd in the middle of midwestern suburbia was really racous. Every single bit of fanservice the movie served up was met with applause. They ate this poo poo up. Especially Lando, who got a massive applause everytime he did 'anything'. It was a crowd pleaser. I was surprised. Not shocked that there's a giant vocal appreciative group out there, and another giant group that's perplexed and disillusioned that this is actually the direction and its being celebrated.

Its not a good movie in the traditional sense. This has the pacing of the second half of a two part tv series finale, but its a standalone movie. And as an alleged climax before moving to a new arc or a major time-skip, isn't that what this should be? I'm kinda insane, but I kinda love it and want more of this Saturday morning cartoon style if narratively possible. Its like a science fiction version of Crank.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hey, why did they blow up kijimi again?

Brogeoisie
Jan 12, 2005

"Look, I'm a private citizen," he said. "One thing that I don't have to do is sit here and open my kimono as it relates to how much money I make or didn't."
The entire theater burst out laughing when Kylo Ren died after the kiss. Never heard so much laughing at a theater that wasn't a comedy / the Room. This continued into the Chewie medal sequence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dishwasher posted:

My crowd in the middle of midwestern suburbia was really racous. Every single bit of fanservice the movie served up was met with applause. They ate this poo poo up. Especially Lando, who got a massive applause everytime he did 'anything'. It was a crowd pleaser. I was surprised. Not shocked that there's a giant vocal appreciative group out there, and another giant group that's perplexed and disillusioned that this is actually the direction and its being celebrated.

Its not a good movie in the traditional sense. This has the pacing of the second half of a two part tv series finale, but its a standalone movie. And as an alleged climax before moving to a new arc or a major time-skip, isn't that what this should be? I'm kinda insane, but I kinda love it and want more of this Saturday morning cartoon style if narratively possible. Its like a science fiction version of Crank.

This is why I called it a football game.