Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

3 DONG HORSE posted:

NASA uses coffee cups in space, my dudes

https://youtu.be/UvUd4D3pjlU

oh neat, i remember seeing the original "prototype" but i had no idea they had actually turned it into a proper thing. i'm so glad cosmonauts can enjoy a proper cup of coffee now :3:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I thought this was the weakest season but still pretty good.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Cactus posted:

Yeah make the list.

After thinking about it it was pretty short:

1: Don't go to space.
2: If you absolutely have to go to space strap yourself in for every second you can and tie everything down. I think number 2 just solved like 3-4 major plot points lol.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
I kind of wish Ashford going on a mission that was obviously going to kill him hadn't been telegraphed so much

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
There's so much great character work in this show that is overshadowed by the protagonist being the drippiest drip who ever dripped. (And I still kinda like Holden.)

It's weird that Ashford started out being kind of an undermining rear end in a top hat last season, got better, got worse, and got better again. It's not so much an arc as a weird curve, but I'll be damned if the actor isn't immensely charismatic.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Also as a non-book reader, it seems like the quality of life on Mars is the highest of anywhere occupied by humans, so Mars is dying doesn't make much sense to me.

Ersatz
Sep 17, 2005

Norton the First posted:

Also as a non-book reader, it seems like the quality of life on Mars is the highest of anywhere occupied by humans, so Mars is dying doesn't make much sense to me.
(No book spoilers): Mars lost its raison d'etre the moment the gates opened, because it's no longer necessary for an entire society to organize itself around a decades-long terraforming project aimed at making a dead planet habitable.

Paradise is real, and all you have to do to get there is spend a couple months aboard a colony ship.

Ersatz fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 21, 2019

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Norton the First posted:

They were prosperous because they had a lot of resources and a population all focused on a common purpose. Build a new Earth.

That common purpose is now moot. There are hundreds of Earths out there. Maybe Mars can influence the new colonies, but Mars's own history proves you can't really control another planet from afar. So Mars itself is kind of done.

This season was a good look at how an otherwise well-to-do society that has lost its collective purpose can kind of fall apart. There's no material reason Mars can't continue on, but if people stop believing that Mars matters, they end up doing things like we saw, and the whole thing begins to rot.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

I haven't read the books either but honestly except for the the 99% who live wherever they want, it seems like it would be a better deal on earth. Everywhere else seems fascist as gently caress or a death sentence. Also we evolved on earth there has to be an deep cellular knowledge that affects more than we understand. I would totally just chill in an Earth flophouse on basic if i had the choice. I mean except for the raining rocks.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

Captain Splendid posted:

I kind of wish Ashford going on a mission that was obviously going to kill him hadn't been telegraphed so much

It was sort of obvious the second Drummer wasn't going with him that this was a one way mission.

Norton the First posted:

There's so much great character work in this show that is overshadowed by the protagonist being the drippiest drip who ever dripped. (And I still kinda like Holden.)

It's weird that Ashford started out being kind of an undermining rear end in a top hat last season, got better, got worse, and got better again. It's not so much an arc as a weird curve, but I'll be damned if the actor isn't immensely charismatic.

I wonder if its one of those things that happen because the actor is so good, they change their characters arc?

Eiba posted:

They were prosperous because they had a lot of resources and a population all focused on a common purpose. Build a new Earth.

That common purpose is now moot. There are hundreds of Earths out there. Maybe Mars can influence the new colonies, but Mars's own history proves you can't really control another planet from afar. So Mars itself is kind of done.

This season was a good look at how an otherwise well-to-do society that has lost its collective purpose can kind of fall apart. There's no material reason Mars can't continue on, but if people stop believing that Mars matters, they end up doing things like we saw, and the whole thing begins to rot.

Yea, the crooked cop says pretty much that. I would not be surprised if season 5 featuers a hot or cold Martian civil war, between those that want to leave and those that want to keep going. Gao seems intent on letting people colonize the ring worlds, though i hope after Illum she's not going to let people go hog wild in case there are more themonuclear islands. Not to mention colonization may either be sped up or slowed down if those asteroids are headed to earth.

PowerBuilder3
Apr 21, 2010
What happened to the green slugs?

When Holden opened the door, he didn't seem to worry about them, and all later scenes.

(I'm not complaining, I think I just missed something?)

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Fragmented posted:

I haven't read the books either but honestly except for the the 99% who live wherever they want, it seems like it would be a better deal on earth. Everywhere else seems fascist as gently caress or a death sentence. Also we evolved on earth there has to be an deep cellular knowledge that affects more than we understand. I would totally just chill in an Earth flophouse on basic if i had the choice. I mean except for the raining rocks.

Ever had cabin fever? Like, maybe you had a broken leg or contagious disease or something else where you were just stuck at home or elsewhere with nothing to do, nothing on TV, bored as gently caress. Now imagine feeling that for eighty years or so.

Basic is... basic. You get food, clothing, shelter and medical care that keeps you alive but that's it. Society on Earth has become just grudgingly obligated enough to keep its people from starving. Mostly. But feeling bored and useless all the time gets really old really quickly.

Fragmented
Oct 7, 2003

I'm not ready =(

Everyone posted:

Ever had cabin fever? Like, maybe you had a broken leg or contagious disease or something else where you were just stuck at home or elsewhere with nothing to do, nothing on TV, bored as gently caress. Now imagine feeling that for eighty years or so.

Basic is... basic. You get food, clothing, shelter and medical care that keeps you alive but that's it. Society on Earth has become just grudgingly obligated enough to keep its people from starving. Mostly. But feeling bored and useless all the time gets really old really quickly.

But it's not boring and useless, i live with my family and can gently caress around and make music. Correct me because i haven't read the books but isn't an average basic living a better life then an average human on earth now?

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

PowerBuilder3 posted:

What happened to the green slugs?

When Holden opened the door, he didn't seem to worry about them, and all later scenes.

(I'm not complaining, I think I just missed something?)

Maybe they were associated with the sea water, and could only survive for extended time in sea water. Perhaps after being delivered by the tsunami they were on borrowed time.

At least that is the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Fragmented posted:

But it's not boring and useless, i live with my family and can gently caress around and make music. Correct me because i haven't read the books but isn't an average basic living a better life then an average human on earth now?

You get a tiny apartment to live in, paper clothes, reconstituted protein paste that's described as tasting "gray", a recreational drug dispenser, and internet access. Minimal medical care is also included. That's about it. There are certainly people on Earth today who would gladly take Basic as an upgrade, but it isn't great. It's the best they can do with the massive population.

WrightOfWay
Jul 24, 2010

Grand Fromage posted:

You get a tiny apartment to live in, paper clothes, reconstituted protein paste that's described as tasting "gray", a recreational drug dispenser, and internet access. Minimal medical care is also included. That's about it. There are certainly people on Earth today who would gladly take Basic as an upgrade, but it isn't great. It's the best they can do with the massive population without meaningfully impacting the wealthy.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Grand Fromage posted:

You get a tiny apartment to live in, paper clothes, reconstituted protein paste that's described as tasting "gray", a recreational drug dispenser, and internet access. Minimal medical care is also included. That's about it. There are certainly people on Earth today who would gladly take Basic as an upgrade, but it isn't great. It's the best they can do with the massive population.

Furthermore, you have limited options for self-actualization. Basic isn't cash money. Education? Better hope you win the lottery. And even if you do get an education via internet and place well on your application to go do something? You've still got a low chance of actually getting picked. It can take decades for even qualified people to have an opportunity to use their skills.

Human beings need some sort of self-actualization. I have severe depression in part due to the overwhelming feeling that I am helpless to do anything to improve the world. Living on Basic in The Expanse, I would have already committed suicide. On basic, you are basically waiting to die.

Power to you if you can survive on just being high all the time and making music. I just hope you're satisfied with a home made instrument, never tasting real food, and wearing newspaper.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Book basic sounds like being a prisoner inside a supermax jail, but the show seems to have it as people are sorta comfortable but outside of basic needs, they're unfufilled. everyone gets a decent level of food, clothing, housing and entertainment.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

The only person we've seen on the show on Basic was the doctor volunteering at the camp of non-registered people, as far as I can remember. Holden's family managed their own weird loophole situation.

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The basic being described sounds like the ultimate end of capitalism. Something must be done about the poors, so keep them away from rich people and don't let them have any money so they can never improve their lives.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016

Grand Fromage posted:

The only person we've seen on the show on Basic was the doctor volunteering at the camp of non-registered people, as far as I can remember. Holden's family managed their own weird loophole situation.

If I remember correctly Holden's family have control of a small farm they maintain, which they got through some bizarre inheritance scheme where its all in Holden's name because he is technically all of the Commune's child.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Perhaps making music is not quite as interesting when you know there are 50 million other people who have nothing to do but make music all day. Same with every other creative thing.

Ersatz posted:

(No book spoilers): Mars lost its raison d'etre the moment the gates opened, because it's no longer necessary for an entire society to organize itself around a decades-long terraforming project aimed at making a dead planet habitable.

Paradise is real, and all you have to do to get there is spend a couple months aboard a colony ship.

Wasn't there also something about how young people had grown up living in domes, and didn't see a reason to continue the terraforming project?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

AnEdgelord posted:

If I remember correctly Holden's family have control of a small farm they maintain, which they got through some bizarre inheritance scheme where its all in Holden's name because he is technically all of the Commune's child.

Not even technically, his DNA is a mix of all eight of them.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
How many Belters are there? Surely a few million at most?

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Oasx posted:

Perhaps making music is not quite as interesting when you know there are 50 million other people who have nothing to do but make music all day. Same with every other creative thing.

Lol we already have that now. For every breakout internet star, there are probably thousands of content creators on SoundCloud, YouTube, Twitch, hell even Twitter who are trying to turn it into a career while living off their parents or working minimum wage.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

AnEdgelord posted:

I think they get a big cash credit for not having more children.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Norton the First posted:

According to the wiki there are an estimated 50 million people living in the Belt and beyond, though the OPA claims over twice that number.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Norton the First posted:

I seem to remember the number 150 million mentioned, but (even if wrong) that actually isn't that many when you consider the vastness of the solar system*. 150 million spread around dozens of clans who are spread around the entire outer solar system, from the asteroid belt to the moons of the gas giants. That's nothing compared to the tens of billions on Earth and Mars, they'd be a nuisance who the Inners even pay attention to at all because they need the raw resources of the outer system and because the isolated nature of space travel makes piracy and terrorism a continuing issue.

*The Solar System, to scale:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zR3Igc3Rhfg

It's a video because no one picture that can remotely do the concept justice is small enough to fit on most people's screens. Space, even just our local interplanetary space, is FREAKIN HUGE LIKE OMG :supaburn:

Nestharken
Mar 23, 2006

The bird of Hermes is my name, eating my wings to make me tame.
This was the weakest season of The Expanse, but it's still great that it's back, and it's better than 99% of any other season of TV that's ever been made.

Re: Murtry--Kinda wish they didn't have him take a total Snidely Whiplash "I'm a bad guy" attitude in the second half of the season. The show has been good so far about making the motivations of the antagonists understandable if not sympathetic, but he just came off as unnecessarily cruel, even though *he was actually right about the landing sabotage and attempted murders*. I guess there's no shortage of people like that in real life, and it made the "thank you" scene really gratifying, so maybe it was worth it.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I don’t understand why Mars would be abandoned just because other planets exist. Europe didn’t get abandoned because America was discovered. We built and continue to build cities in inhospitable hellholes like Las Vegas and Dubai. I see no reason why they wouldn’t keep terraforming Mars.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Fister Roboto posted:

According to the wiki there are an estimated 50 million people living in the Belt and beyond, though the OPA claims over twice that number.

That's just the belt actually. The moons of Saturn, Jupiter, and Uranus house more people.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Boris Galerkin posted:

I don’t understand why Mars would be abandoned just because other planets exist. Europe didn’t get abandoned because America was discovered. We built and continue to build cities in inhospitable hellholes like Las Vegas and Dubai. I see no reason why they wouldn’t keep terraforming Mars.

The only reason to keep it up would be cultural pride. If there are 1300+ habitable planets, and your children's children will be old by the time the terraforming is complete, why stick around? In real life we have a hard time doing any big project that lasts longer than an election cycle.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

They'll keep terraforming. But overnight Mars has gone from the second most habitable planet after Earth to the 1,302nd. Big loss of motivation.

Norton the First
Dec 4, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
I mean, no offence to Canadians or nothing, but Ilus hardly looked like a paradise. Even if Martians continue to live in domes, their standard of living (and existing capital stock) seems pretty ridiculous compared to everybody else.

e: Also living in 0.4g would be fuckin' sweet.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

Nail Rat posted:

The only reason to keep it up would be cultural pride. If there are 1300+ habitable planets, and your children's children will be old by the time the terraforming is complete, why stick around? In real life we have a hard time doing any big project that lasts longer than an election cycle.

Why do people still live in places like Venice or like half of the Netherlands where clearly we weren’t meant to live because it’s all underwater? Places like Phoenix that have no natural water sources? Parts of Russia that average below freezing temperatures? Why do we have people living in Antarctica where they can’t even grow food? Or hell, why did we build a space station where we can’t even survive long term?

The fact that Mars is there means that it’s never going to be abandoned. The government may change (ie Ancient Rome) but we are just going to keep building (modern Rome).

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

Seems like the solution to Earth's problems is a condom gigafactory, not colonizing distant world's through some weird alien wormhole. Do condoms exists in the Expanse universe?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

GABA ghoul posted:

Seems like the solution to Earth's problems is a condom gigafactory, not colonizing distant world's through some weird alien wormhole. Do condoms exists in the Expanse universe?

This has been inconsistent. Everyone on Basic is required to be on contraception and having kids requires application and approval, but Ty has also said part of why Earth's population got so big was people without jobs had nothing else to do so they created projects for themselves by having kids. Maybe that happened before Basic was implemented, idk.

This is why Holden's family has the whole collective situation. Eight people together could get enough tax credits and loophole whatnots to have a small farm and one child.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Everyone posted:

I currently only have access to basic food, clothing, shelter and medical care. And I have to work a dull, stressful job to earn even that.

You apparently get at least a terminal on basic. Read. Study public resources. Write. Form connections with people who have similar interests online. Learn how to code and make videogames. Play the games that other people who don't have to work made for free. Do what you like. Watch porn and do drugs. The only thing you're missing is economic influence. And who can say they really have much of that today? We've got economic obligations, but not a heck of a lot in terms of privileges.

Everyone we've seen in this story- politicians and adventurers- find basic to be demeaning. But that's because they want status or a feeling of agency. Give up on that bullshit and there's not a whole lot wrong with Basic*.

*Depending on the details. Some people are convinced the paper clothes are poo poo (as opposed to customizable comfortable future-paper clothes), and the protein food is disgusting (as opposed to flavored with cheap but effective artificial future spices or whatever). The show and books are both ambiguous on the subject, with the level of horror about basic varying significantly depending on what's being emphasized at any given time.

Basically, who cares about feeling "useless." You already are "useless" today, with opportunity largely being an illusion, but with the added burden of needing to work your whole life for no greater purpose than survival.

Boris Galerkin posted:

Why do people still live in places like Venice or like half of the Netherlands where clearly we weren’t meant to live because it’s all underwater? Places like Phoenix that have no natural water sources? Parts of Russia that average below freezing temperatures? Why do we have people living in Antarctica where they can’t even grow food? Or hell, why did we build a space station where we can’t even survive long term?

The fact that Mars is there means that it’s never going to be abandoned. The government may change (ie Ancient Rome) but we are just going to keep building (modern Rome).
It seems likely that people will keep living there. It's got a good academic setup for churning out the kinds of environmental engineers that will be really useful in the human diaspora. I imagine it has a long term future as a kind of planetary university town.

The thing is, that's a huge step down from being one of two superpowers dominating humanity. There's a lot about their attitude that will have to change in the coming generations, and that's wrecking their culture in the current moment of the show.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Boris Galerkin posted:

Because none of the original human settlers of those places had anywhere better to go

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Mars has nine billion people. There will always be Martians, even if they wanted to abandon the planet the logistics are prohibitive. But nobody's going to be immigrating there anymore and tons of people are going to leave Earth and Mars for the new worlds. It would take hundreds of years to move billions of people out to the colonies and even that wouldn't make much of a dent on the populations of those planets.