Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
2013 was my first full year in the army. That's when the permanently damaging injuries and drinking began.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vasudus
May 30, 2003
2013 was being forced into grad school because there were no jobs, while living with an alcoholic parasite that drained all my money

mostly bad

ASAPI
Apr 20, 2007
I invented the line.

Uh, 2013 must have been one of those years. Thankfully I started getting help the year before that.

nwin
Feb 25, 2002

make's u think

2013...life wasn’t bad. I was in a marriage that seems to be going well, I was getting ready to PCS to a new place and get out of Houston which we didn’t like, and things were generally ok.

Then Christmas of 2014 my wife asked for a divorce...that was bad but things worked out great.

Now I’m remarried and we have an awesome one year old son. We hate where we live but we’ll PCS in another two+ years.

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
2013 was the year I had to move back in with my parents because I got my PhD but couldn't get a job with it. So that sucked. Helluva 30th birthday, that.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
2013 I started law school. If I could go back to 2013 and just change that, I would.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
2013 I had a job contracting for more money than I deserved.

Like 2.5 Grand a week kinda money.

Wasabi the J
Jan 23, 2008

MOM WAS RIGHT
Oh I wasted it all

Pigsfeet on Rye
Oct 22, 2008

I'm meat on the hoof
In 2012 I stopped drinking due to clinical depression, which stemmed from being a caregiver for my mom, who had Alzheimer's; in 2013 she died from it. It's been a slow but steady climb up from that.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

dont remember poo poo from 2013 bc i had a 1 year old

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Sounds like y'alls 2013 was my 2009. I ate the Great Recession with both barrels, and left Augusta with my tail between my legs.

Please tell me all of you are at least on an upward arc now?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

drat what did I open up lmao

I think 2013 was peak boozing year for me. No good.

LtCol J. Krusinski
May 7, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

GD_American posted:

Sounds like y'alls 2013 was my 2009. I ate the Great Recession with both barrels, and left Augusta with my tail between my legs.

Please tell me all of you are at least on an upward arc now?

Got the wife back, have a nice house in a nice town now, and I’m studying IT / Programming at a community college and she’s finishing up her masters and working. We are doing good.

Handsome Ralph
Sep 3, 2004

Oh boy, posting!
That's where I'm a Viking!

Godholio posted:

My 2013 was really good. My 2014 was pretty much the low point in my life.

:same:

But I did meet my wife so that balanced it out.

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?
I moved in with my wife and got a relatively well-paying job in 2013. I think we also got our dog in 2013.

Syrian Lannister
Aug 25, 2007

Oh, did I kill him too?
I've been a very busy little man.

Sugartime Jones
2013-2014 I was blissfully unaware that my marriage was on a downward trend.

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I'll survive. I'm in a better mental place to some degree, worse to others, but my desire to eat lead isn't one of the worse ones, so I'll call that an upswing.

A close friend of mine is moving out here next year. We've known each other 17 years, closer to each other than our own brothers. He wants to buy some land up on the other side of the mountains from me, build a kit house on it. Large plot for decent cash, he'll have the well and septic put in, build his place, then we'll start work on my cabin on the back end of the property. I'll dig trenches and bury pipe, conduit and cable to my shanty. I'll be mimicking his kit house layout, without the extra bedrooms, with dimensional 4x4s stacked horizontally, drilled and aligned for threaded strut to feed through, torqued down with nuts at each layer, and be concreted into the foundation below. Basically looking at spending as little as possible to build a solid as hell structure, slap a roof on it and stuff it with insulation, because it gets cold at 9k feet.

I'm cautiously optimistic about next year, but I have a feeling we'll only finish his place, maybe get the structure and roof up on the cabin, but probably won't be livable until early '21. So I'll be a roommate again for a while.

I look forward to dark skies again. To seeing the work I put into land as worth my time. Struggle isn't a bad thing, and I'd rather struggle with nature than people anymore.

CRUSTY MINGE fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Dec 21, 2019

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

i got divorced but i then lost 180 lbs on the gently caress you diet and now im hot and shes the same

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
It's great losing weight. Even better gaining muscle proportionally.

Joe Pera marathon on adult swim tonight. So peaceful.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Cutting soda and alcohol the fat just sheds off

Not throwing shade but if you drink you’ll just forever have that puffy look

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
It's seriously true. Removing almost all booze and sugary drinks (soda, juices, flavored coffees, etc) will cause you to just shed weight regardless diet.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I've been sober four years now and have a cool dog so yeah life is definitely on an upward trend

A Bad Poster
Sep 25, 2006
Seriously, shut the fuck up.

:dukedog:
I'm in a different lovely place, but I'm in better shape physically and mentally, and have a clear goal and know it'll get better soon enough, so I'll call it a wash.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

A Bad Poster posted:

I'm in a different lovely place, but I'm in better shape physically and mentally, and have a clear goal and know it'll get better soon enough, so I'll call it a wash.

I’m with you man, verbatim. We’re in this together.

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av
I got drunk at the Christmas party last night, came home early and crashed girls night at the house with my wife and her friends making cookies with the kids for Santa. by all accounts I was highly amusing, and not an rear end, so I’d say that’s an improvement over years past.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Round up the young GIPers it’s beanie story time

GD_American
Jul 21, 2004

LISTEN TO WHAT I HAVE TO SAY AS IT'S INCREDIBLY IMPORTANT!
Who was the crazy permabanned fucker we kept having to run off? Said he had contractor money but that turned out not to be true?

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

idk rrail? Didn’t he burn it all on dunson AVs? I think he might have had contractor money but blew through it all or some such

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

I had the opportunity to change literally anything about the world and I used it to get a new av

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

Round up the young GIPers it’s beanie story time

I really gotta remember to live post more, I’m sure it’s more interesting that way. The kids exchanged gifts and someone had out the board game Life Jr, so of course I show up like “deal me in” while drinking spiked hot chocolate.

So Life Jr involves a bunch of cards you pick up and have to complete actions at times, like sharades, or an impromptu scavenger hunt and poo poo. So I’m trying to get the kids to guess “scored a goal” by miming kicking a ball but I slipped on some wrapping paper and probably have a low key ankle sprain.

They enjoyed it but didn’t guess the right answer so I didn’t get the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

Nostalgia4Dogges posted:

idk rrail? Didn’t he burn it all on dunson AVs? I think he might have had contractor money but blew through it all or some such

nah the other one that comes in and spams hate and gets banned in like 30 min

been a while but he used to pop in like once every couple of months

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose
Miller High Life is not the "Champagne of Beers".

Flikken
Oct 23, 2009

10,363 snaps and not a playoff win to show for it

beanieson posted:

I got drunk at the Christmas party last night, came home early and crashed girls night at the house with my wife and her friends making cookies with the kids for Santa. by all accounts I was highly amusing, and not an rear end, so I’d say that’s an improvement over years past.

Well you didn't have a secretary drive you home this time right?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

beanieson posted:

I really gotta remember to live post more, I’m sure it’s more interesting that way. The kids exchanged gifts and someone had out the board game Life Jr, so of course I show up like “deal me in” while drinking spiked hot chocolate.

So Life Jr involves a bunch of cards you pick up and have to complete actions at times, like sharades, or an impromptu scavenger hunt and poo poo. So I’m trying to get the kids to guess “scored a goal” by miming kicking a ball but I slipped on some wrapping paper and probably have a low key ankle sprain.

They enjoyed it but didn’t guess the right answer so I didn’t get the point 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm pretty sure this is the daddest post in GiP history

Click Beelay
Oct 13, 2011

GD_American posted:

Who was the crazy permabanned fucker we kept having to run off? Said he had contractor money but that turned out not to be true?

Am I remembering incorrectly or did someone tell us you passed away? I remember being like oh poo poo that sucks. Either way I'm happy you're back.

Duzzy Funlop
Jan 13, 2010

Hi there, would you like to try some spicy products?

GD_American posted:

Was it the same goon as that something-pilot (?) poster that was some for of infamous GBS superstar with like two pages of bans under their belt and like four digits worth of money spent on the forums?

CRUSTY MINGE
Mar 30, 2011

Peggy Hill
Foot Connoisseur
I remember hearing it too, but I was on hiatus for a stint around then and wasn't caught up on anything here, just busy out being crazy in the world.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

Duzzy Funlop posted:

Was it the same goon as that something-pilot (?) poster that was some for of infamous GBS superstar with like two pages of bans under their belt and like four digits worth of money spent on the forums?

That's vilepilot, and I don't think he was ever a gip poster other than just to come in and get banned again.

shame on an IGA
Apr 8, 2005

Click Beelay posted:

Am I remembering incorrectly or did someone tell us you passed away? I remember being like oh poo poo that sucks. Either way I'm happy you're back.

I remember this too they must have just assumed he was banished to whatever shadow dimension JoePa's reputation exists in now

beanieson
Sep 25, 2008

Flikken posted:

Well you didn't have a secretary drive you home this time right?

Uber exists now, it’s been revolutionary for me

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nice and hot piss
Feb 1, 2004

2013 was a good year for me since I was close to being done with grad school and racing bikes at a pretty competitive level.

My legs were beautiful.

2019, my legs are only sub par....:(