Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

I'm so tired, I'm so very tired

Skippy McPants posted:

I really wish Mr. Tron wasn't such a poo poo because I do genuinely like his comic style, but man I... I just can't. He's said too many hideous things.

Same, Tim and Eric is kind of similar though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Archer666 posted:

I watch Jon too, mostly for the same reasons.

Along with a bunch of other tubers I linked to here that got me yelled at. They either cover things interesting to me or just make me laugh. Though I mostly don't really care about a persons politics as long as they don't just start goosestepping in their videos or go full tankie. I recognise its there, but I just ignore it if its dumb.

How does it feel to support and enable a white supremacist

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
b-b-b-but the "no ethical consumption under capitalism" meme!

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

b-b-b-but the "no ethical consumption under capitalism" meme!

You should always try to minimise harm where possible

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I know but sometimes you can't help having the same twisted sense of humor as a white supremacist, but thats ok we all have problematic faves and anybody pretending to care is just being an elitist hipster.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

JonTron was comically racist in that debate with Destiny it wasn't even dog whistling.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
It's easy to not watch Jon since half his poo poo became unfunny sponsored material

Still think bout that old Clock Towel video tho

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

How does it feel to support and enable a white supremacist

Feels like nothing, really. But then again, I grew up in a working class village so I'm completely desentisized to the rantings of bugfuck crazy people when it comes to race and/or jews.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Archer666 posted:

Feels like nothing, really. But then again, I grew up in a working class village so I'm completely desentisized to the rantings of bugfuck crazy people when it comes to race and/or jews.

Maybe you shouldn't support and watch a white supremacist

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

Maybe you shouldn't support and watch a white supremacist

But he makes me laugh.

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
People are within their rights to watch and support poo poo from antisemites/racists/homophobes/transphobes.

But I sure hope those people don't then turn around and expect LGBT/Jewish/non-white people to respect them.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Archer666 posted:

But he makes me laugh.

He thinks non white people are inherently inferior

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

I find that this thread sometimes has an absurdly broad definition of “support”.

Donating to someone’s patreon is supporting them. Publically agreeing with whatever terrible thing they’ve said is supporting them. Watching their videos isn’t.

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Bakeneko posted:

I find that this thread sometimes has an absurdly broad definition of “support”.

Donating to someone’s patreon is supporting them. Publically agreeing with whatever terrible thing they’ve said is supporting them. Watching their videos isn’t.

It sorta is though, but then again you could say the same thing about quote-tweeting racists on Twitter. It feeds them slivers of support and maybe that makes you, or other people, uncomfortable.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Ash Crimson posted:

He thinks non white people are inherently inferior

And that makes him a racist rear end in a top hat. But the work he produces has entertainment value to me. I like him for what he produces, not what he is. The moment he starts actively incorporating his racism into his work is when I drop him.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Bakeneko posted:

Donating to someone’s patreon is supporting them. Agreeing with whatever terrible thing they’ve said is supporting them. Watching their videos isn’t.

The idea is that your supporting a creator that way (not significantly of course) by contributing to view counts and influencing *the algorithm*. The question I guess is how big of a deal one thinks that is. I guess there’s also the question of, even if your views do nothing, should you separate art and artist like that and to what degree, especially in the case of white supremacism, way bigger deal than being a rude rear end in a top hat or other mundane character flaws. Although that can be kinda subjective territory I guess.

ConfusedPig fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Dec 23, 2019

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

Jontron... Jontron is an evil, nasty man!

I don't think I'll be taking any judgement about things that I watch from you, user who posts horrific poo poo about mentally ill people

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
jontron sucks rear end lmfao i cant even begin to imagine whats wrong with your brain that causes you to openly declare your love of the actual nazi in a public space unironically. should have kept that one in your pocket at the very least. wtf

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

ConfusedPig posted:

The idea is that your supporting a creator that way (not significantly of course) by contributing to view counts and influencing *the algorithm*. The question I guess is how big of a deal one thinks that is. I guess there’s also the question of, even if your views do nothing, should you separate art and artist like that and to what degree, especially in the case of white supremacism, way bigger deal than being a rude rear end in a top hat or other mundane character flaws. Although that can be kinda subjective territory I guess.

One out of a view count in the millions is a tiny drop in the bucket though.

I mean, I can only speak for myself. I'm not trying to tell other people not to be uncomfortable if that's the way they feel.

fun hater
May 24, 2009

its a neat trick, but you can only do it once
laughing alongside the nazi, but its ok bc im only one of millions

Casey Finnigan
Apr 30, 2009

Dumb ✔
So goddamn crazy ✔
If you legitimately aren't willing to avoid watching an open white supremacist's YouTube videos, I don't even know what to say. Unremarkable YouTube videos about reviewing games.

Are these the same people who try to justify pewdiepie's "death to all Jews" "joke"?

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

bessantj posted:

Kim, have you ever thought of doing a documentary on Adventure Soft/Horror Soft?

Yes as they're pretty close to a company called Tynesoft that I've been writing a script for, on and off. That'll be a fun 'un, lots of cool stories.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

I don't think I'll be taking any judgement about things that I watch from you, user who posts horrific poo poo about mentally ill people

I've been nothing but polite to you, kim.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Me being non-white, I can't really watch a guy who thinks my expulsion from the country I've lived in all my life is a matter of healthy debate at best.

The really weird thing about Jon Jafari is that he's Iranian, which means he's somewhere below the Irish and the Italians on the white supremacist's scale of worth.

ConfusedPig
Mar 27, 2013

Supersonic Shine posted:

Me being non-white, I can't really watch a guy who thinks my expulsion from the country I've lived in all my life is a matter of healthy debate at best.

The really weird thing about Jon Jafari is that he's Iranian, which means he's somewhere below the Irish and the Italians on the white supremacist's scale of worth.

I can’t speak with certainty since I’ve never seen a single video of his pre or post milkshake-ducking but he strikes me as a colossal idiot (which racists usually are anyway).

Kim Justice
Jan 29, 2007

Ash Crimson posted:

I've been nothing but polite to you, kim.

I don't think I call jumping at me specifically making a post in a conversation where several of us are talking about people that we're all very well aware are pretty problematic but we still end up watching very polite. It's not like me or anyone else who posted aren't aware of these things about people we watch. I am well aware that Jon has some pretty lovely views and I'm not going to defend them, quite the opposite in fact. Now I seem to have a whole bunch of folks on my arse over it because...um, I have dumb taste in the videos I watch. Like, come tee eff on.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

ConfusedPig posted:

I can’t speak with certainty since I’ve never seen a single video of his pre or post milkshake-ducking but he strikes me as a colossal idiot (which racists usually are anyway).
That and he probably just hates black people THAT much. People from minorities hating other minorities is sadly not uncommon.

Ash Crimson
Apr 4, 2010

Kim Justice posted:

I don't think I call jumping at me specifically making a post in a conversation where several of us are talking about people that we're all very well aware are pretty problematic but we still end up watching very polite. It's not like me or anyone else who posted aren't aware of these things about people we watch. I am well aware that Jon has some pretty lovely views and I'm not going to defend them, quite the opposite in fact. Now I seem to have a whole bunch of folks on my arse over it because...um, I have dumb taste in the videos I watch. Like, come tee eff on.

You posted something and I gave my opinion on it because jontron... jontron is a bad person

bladeworksmaster
Sep 6, 2010

Ok.

If you want something similar to Jontron’s style of humor without any of the white supremacy, Scott the Woz is pretty close to scratching the same itch for me. His video on Gaming Mysteries particularly is one of my favorites.

A Gnarlacious Bro
Apr 25, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fun hater posted:

laughing alongside the nazi, but its ok bc im only one of millions

Lol

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008
JonIM posted his GOTY list for 2019. No real big surprise entries or anything, but still some good games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FqAObPIYWo

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

watho posted:

tros half in the bag is 70 minutes long

Watched it intermittently during the day and I feel like I kind of want to watch it now, just to get a handle on how batshit JJ Abrams gets with this stuff.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
And here I was hoping we'd talk about more weird EU poo poo like the Abominor droids or Vuffi-Raa, Lando's best friend starfish droid from another galaxy who lights his cigarettes and cracks open his beers.

The droids on Mandalorian are played by comedians so I want to see IG-11 back in action next week with Taika Waititi switching between mass stormtrooper murder and asking if anyone wants tea.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
I love the Old EU, I love Star Wars.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

I’d be 100% behind a TV series that just pumps out ridiculous EU plots.

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
Animated series along the lines of What If? that's just adaptations of the most goddamned ridiculous old EU stories. 10/10 would buy.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Adapt the Invasion of the Space Dwarf barbarians plot where Luke fights a cyborg Sith lady while space elves and space techno dwarfs assault Coruscant immediately after Endor but also after a Space Dinosaur invasion on the edge of the galaxy.

Bakeneko
Jan 9, 2007

Archer666 posted:

JonIM posted his GOTY list for 2019. No real big surprise entries or anything, but still some good games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6FqAObPIYWo

I really don’t get why he loves The Outer Worlds so much. There are a few things to like about it, I guess, mainly the combat and exploration, but everything else felt like a watered-down version of New Vegas that got too immersed in its attempts at comedy to tell a decent story. The companions especially felt lifeless, with only Parvati getting any kind of development.

A Plague Tale was much better, but I’m still not sure I would put it so high on the list. It was ambitious but it turned out to be far more linear and constrained than it seemed; it’s basically just a puzzle game in disguise, with most of the puzzles revolving around simple stealth mechanics or the rat physics system. I did like how the story went full anime at the end, though, with characters using magic powers to throw ratnados at one another.

Bakeneko fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Dec 23, 2019

Clerical Terrors
Apr 24, 2016

Outer Worlds was extremely my poo poo but I'd say almost everything it does some other game does better.

Also I dig Sterling's recent style and production changes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...

Arcsquad12 posted:

Adapt the Invasion of the Space Dwarf barbarians plot where Luke fights a cyborg Sith lady while space elves and space techno dwarfs assault Coruscant immediately after Endor but also after a Space Dinosaur invasion on the edge of the galaxy.

God, the space dinosaur book was probably in the upper quarter of all EU novels come to think of it.

(not entirely sure what the space dwarves or cyborg sith are though)