Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

I had this discussion with my partner the other day. I was like "I liked TLJ but gently caress Leia Poppins" and she's like "but Leia is a force user" and I'm like "naw dawg, is not that she used the force, its that she was so obviously shot flying while standing loving up it just ruined everything about that scene"

But I liked the last bit of TLJ so

None of Star Wars is high art. Except the laser sword hilt design

Again I think there is a good chance the original idea was Leia does the Holdo maneuver but they chickened out so the Leia Poppins thing is a plot device to knock her out of action so Holdo does it and replaces all her story in TLJ. This also fucks the Poe story as it could have been the moment of self sacrifice that Poe learns what it means to be a real leader directly from Leia.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Is it wierd that I think Rey killing a character through inadvertent anger could have worked as a plot device? Her self-exile scene on Luke's Island, and even lashing out at Ben when he dropped his guard, would have made a hell of a lot more sense if she actually had done some bad things inadvertantly, and not know that Chewie was alive 10 minutes loving later

That whole subplot was pointless

Everyone
Sep 6, 2019

by sebmojo

Intel&Sebastian posted:

I still don't even really get it, Palps had a son who he allowed to just go off an have a regular rear end life at some point around the Prequels and he didn't give a poo poo about while he was becoming emperor.....but then decided he desperately needed to get ahold of his grand-daughter (during the OT?), so they abandoned her and died rather than say where she was?

This is what little bit of brain-canon I'll throw at this, but... Senator Palpatine was a prominent person of Naboo. Prominent people usually have prominent spouses. So, figure Palpatine was married and had a son who wasn't Force-sensitive. Once he became Chancellor, Palpatine ceased to give a poo poo about either of them and sent them packing to concentrate on loving the Jedi over and becoming Emperor. And then Mace Windu turned him into an evil prune.

Still, not much he could do about that. But after Endor he sensed Rey being born and realized that she was very strong in the Force, so he could use that to heal himself. Son and wife realized that, so they hid her on Jakku (maybe desert biospheres hide you from the Force somehow?) got caught, unsuccessfully interrogated and then murdered. So, Palpatine moved on with his plan to buttfuck Luke's new Jedi order using Snoke as a cutout along with operation Star Destroyer Dick.

When Rey popped up again, he sent Kylo to find and "kill" her (knowing damned well that Kylo was way too hot for her to do that), figuring that one way or another she'd end up in front of him. And he was right. Unfortunately for him.

Unless this is some kind of super-triple-reverse-extra-secret-plan that also involves putting dicks and vaginas on Star Destroyers.

I guess we'll find out in the next trilogy co-written and co-directed by M. Night Shyamalan and Michael Bay.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

So it was bad right?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Is it wierd that I think Rey killing a character through inadvertent anger could have worked as a plot device? Her self-exile scene on Luke's Island, and even lashing out at Ben when he dropped his guard, would have made a hell of a lot more sense if she actually had some bad things accidentally, and not know that Chewie was alive 10 minutes loving later

I agree. Even without changing anything else about the movie it would've made sense as part of the "maybe Rey is turning to the dark side" storyline rather than just being another scene retroactively rendered pointless.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Everyone posted:

This is what little bit of brain-canon I'll throw at this, but... Senator Palpatine was a prominent person of Naboo. Prominent people usually have prominent spouses. So, figure Palpatine was married and had a son who wasn't Force-sensitive. Once he became Chancellor, Palpatine ceased to give a poo poo about either of them and sent them packing to concentrate on loving the Jedi over and becoming Emperor. And then Mace Windu turned him into an evil prune.

Still, not much he could do about that. But after Endor he sensed Rey being born and realized that she was very strong in the Force, so he could use that to heal himself. Son and wife realized that, so they hid her on Jakku (maybe desert biospheres hide you from the Force somehow?) got caught, unsuccessfully interrogated and then murdered. So, Palpatine moved on with his plan to buttfuck Luke's new Jedi order using Snoke as a cutout along with operation Star Destroyer Dick.

When Rey popped up again, he sent Kylo to find and "kill" her (knowing damned well that Kylo was way too hot for her to do that), figuring that one way or another she'd end up in front of him. And he was right. Unfortunately for him.

Unless this is some kind of super-triple-reverse-extra-secret-plan that also involves putting dicks and vaginas on Star Destroyers.

I guess we'll find out in the next trilogy co-written and co-directed by M. Night Shyamalan and Michael Bay.

Rey did kill Kylo though (or at least mortally wounded him with a Saber through the Torso). Sabers cauterize wounds as they slash though, and she hit him in the abdomen, so it's very possible he might have lived without force heal from Jedi Outcast, but eh.

She just healed him with space magic that Abrams pulled out of a video game. And then he did the same later and died again.

:lol: great plot JJ

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

TulliusCicero posted:

Is it wierd that I think Rey killing a character through inadvertent anger could have worked as a plot device? Her self-exile scene on Luke's Island, and even lashing out at Ben when he dropped his guard, would have made a hell of a lot more sense if she actually had done some bad things inadvertantly, and not know that Chewie was alive 10 minutes loving later

She is a Disney Princess(Empress). Disney Princesses don't kill Chewie. Of course the real fix to that is to not have the transport scene.

Raccooon fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Dec 24, 2019

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

Raccooon posted:

Again I think there is a good chance the original idea was Leia does the Holdo maneuver but they chickened out so the Leia Poppins thing is a plot device to knock her out of action so Holdo does it and replaces all her story in TLJ. This also fucks the Poe story as it could have been the moment of self sacrifice that Poe learns what it means to be a real leader directly from Leia.

have to ask RJ I guess next time one of us sees him

H13
Nov 30, 2005

Fun Shoe

2house2fly posted:

TLJ had two characters in charge of the First Order who hate each other,

Neither of which were formidable enough to be a big bad threat to end a trilogy on.

quote:

two other characters with a romantic connection and an open channel of communication who were on opposite sides of a war

Which was done well and I believe used well in this film.

quote:

and the good guys were firm underdogs with potentially powerful allies in the struggle against tyranny.

Nope. They called for help in that last battle and nobody came to help. Nobody in the galaxy cared that the Resistance was about to die. On top of that, there were literally a handful of resistance fighters left. There's a difference between "underdog" and "unbelievable"

quote:

If JJ Abrams couldn't figure out any way to get an interesting story out of that, that's kind of on him

JJ was asked to conclude an epic space trilogy with a film that didn't have a big supreme villain, nor an opposing army to fight them off. He had 2 interesting characters to work with and that was it.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Bilirubin posted:

have to ask RJ I guess next time one of us sees him

He not gonna say poo poo against Disney.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

H13 posted:

JJ was asked to conclude an epic space trilogy with a film that didn't have a big supreme villain, nor an opposing army to fight them off. He had 2 interesting characters to work with and that was it.

Imagine trying to end the Lord of the Rings trilogy where Sauron died in the second movie and no hook for the last movie lol

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TulliusCicero posted:

She just healed him with space magic that Abrams pulled out of a video game. And then he did the same later and died again.

:lol: great plot JJ

I'm fine with this because Rey delivers a bit exposition, saying that using the force for healing transfers a bit of one's own force energy to whoever is injured. When Ben did the healing, Rey was straight up dead, so he was basically transferring the entirety of his life force to her to bring her back. Easy enough explanation.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
"JJ had a plan and Rian didn't follow it, so JJ had no choice but to continue on with that plan regardless of what happened in the previous film and shove as much of the plan as possible into this film even if it didn't fit and required him to retcon half the previous film."
- this thread

Even if JJ had a plan (he didn't) there was absolutely no reason beyond obstinance and spite to not course-correct and come up with a new plan. It's a little kid getting mad that he had to share his Legos and smashing what the other kid gave back to him.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

feedmyleg posted:

"JJ had a plan and Rian didn't follow it, so JJ had no choice but to continue on with that plan regardless of what happened in the previous film and shove as much of the plan as possible into this film even if it didn't fit and required him to retcon half the previous film."
- this thread

Even if JJ had a plan (he didn't) there was absolutely no reason beyond obstinance and spite to not course-correct and come up with a new plan. It's a little kid getting mad that he had to share his Legos and smashing what the other kid gave back to him.

Agreed however the interesting ideas of TLJ were also killed in TLJ. Its not a good position for a director to be in.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
If there was a plan why was RJ allowed to deviate from it? On such an important franchise?

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."
A warrior monk healing someone using a mystical life energy sounds fine to me.

Marin Karin
Jul 29, 2011

What are you, compared to my magnificence?
tlj is really loving good but i'm able to understand that because of my huge brain and massive cock so i understand why goons will think differently

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Shaocaholica posted:

If there was a plan why was RJ allowed to deviate from it? On such an important franchise?

I assume the JJ treatments were bad so they deviated and then Disney got cold feet and hosed the deviation.

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

teagone posted:

I'm fine with this because Rey delivers a bit exposition, saying that using the force for healing transfers a bit of one's own force energy to whoever is injured. When Ben did the healing, Rey was straight up dead, so he was basically transferring the entirety of his life force to her to bring her back. Easy enough explanation.

I'm not. He should of been involved in the final fight, and not just thrown off a cliff. He showed up to beat up his own clown lackies and then get punked by Palps, and thrown off a cliff, only to be a deus ex machina when he climbs his rear end back up, after Rey had already "won"

Also what the gently caress was the point of the Knights of Ren in this film? To sell action figures? All they do is stand there MENACINGLY while the camera pans. The desert planet scene was especially pointless

At least have Rey or Finn fight them earlier in the film or something.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Your subs have been verted.

JonathonSpectre
Jul 23, 2003

I replaced the Shermatar and text with this because I don't wanna see racial slurs every time you post what the fuck

Soiled Meat
Luke's saber is green in RotJ because the blue saber wouldn't show up against the desert background in the first part of the movie.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

TulliusCicero posted:

I'm not. He should of been involved in the final fight, and not just thrown off a cliff. He showed up to beat up his own clown lackies and then get punked by Palps, and thrown off a cliff, only to be a deus ex machina when he climbs his rear end back up, after Rey had already "won"

Also what the gently caress was the point of the Knights of Ren in this film? To sell action figures? All they do is stand there MENACINGLY while the camera pans. The desert planet scene was especially pointless

At least have Rey or Finn fight them earlier in the film or something.

I thought you were just pointing out an inconsistency with the force healing that didn't really exist, lol.

I agree though, Ben should've had a larger part in the final fight instead of getting yeeted into a pit. And yes, then knights of Ren exist only to sell toys. A better writer could have done something interesting with them.

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lol listening to the RLM. Best part to me is them coining Passive-Progressive for Disney about them making scenes to show that Poe and Finn not gay but wanting to imply it in interviews.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

teagone posted:

I know, lol. I said already said that.

I know too, I’m just in awe at the audacity of it.

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:
getting a bit sick of all these so-called fans who are upset that episode 9 didn't go along with their epic headcanons :shrug:

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
STAR WARS

EPISODE IX: RISE OF THE SKYWALKER

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

The one really interesting part to me was when they go to masked Keri Russell's planet and it's like WWII town being raided by the Germans, and there was a real chance to show how bad the FO is and what the stakes of this war are, but the film never breathes and let's these vignettes play out as scenes, off we go to the next Vignette after 5 minutes

The Endor stuff with the deserter stormtroopers could have been cool I guess too, because I think they were trying to say the FO recruited them as child soldiers or something? But everything is given in 5 minutes of dialogue, so who knows

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Dec 24, 2019

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

The last fight in the movie that concludes the Skywalker saga was between two Palpatines. Idek man.

doomisland
Oct 5, 2004

Poe's friend should've been Benicio Del Toro

Uncle Wemus
Mar 4, 2004

was benicio even in TROS?

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem
The prisoners were taken to the main hangar, where DJ revealed to Finn and Tico that he had traded information about the Resistance—including their plan to escape to the planet Crait—to General Armitage Hux in exchange for his freedom and a large sum of money. He then departed from the Supremacy with his reward*, leaving Finn and Rose to be executed on Phasma's orders.

* DJ died on the way back to his home planet

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Uncle Wemus posted:

no

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Lilikoi posted:

The last fight in the movie that concludes the Skywalker saga was between two Palpatines. Idek man.

Couldn't Rey at least have a cool duel with rejuvenated Palps?

Maybe he's more spry like he used to be. Maybe he gets younger from the life drain? Idk, but the beam battle was just like "okay this is boring"

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Dec 24, 2019

Just Chamber
Feb 10, 2014

WE MUST RETURN TO THE DANCE! THE NIGHT IS OURS!

TulliusCicero posted:

Maybe he's more spy like he used to be. Maybe he gets younger from the life drain? Idk, but the beam battle was just like "okay this is boring"

You know what would have been neat? I mean yes fan servicy as hell but gently caress it the whole movie is anyway. Rey gets after up she's been rejuvenated by the Jedi, her and Palpatine engage in a duel and throughout the duel Rey uses different stances, all from the different Jedi masters we've seen throughout the series, so for a brief moment she uses Obi Wan's stance, then Qui Gon's then Anakin's, Luke etc, even really go full fan service and throw a little Windu or Ashoka move in there or something for the die hards. That would really show that the spirits of the jedi are helping her and we'd get an actual interesting fight at the end.

George H.W. Cunt
Oct 6, 2010

If you want a fun Poe pretrilogy-esque romp just watch Triple Frontier

Lilikoi
Oct 11, 2012

TulliusCicero posted:

Maybe he's more spry like he used to be. Maybe he gets younger from the life drain? Idk, but the beam battle was just like "okay this is boring"

Let me tell you all about my plan where you kill me and I take over you just so you won't kill me until you actually kill me, but now I'm dead-dead.

I remember thinking that Matt Smith was going to be Young Palps because he has no eyebrows and that can look unsettling sometimes.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!

Uncle Wemus posted:

The movie was already insanely crowded, the only thing they'd have time for would be a quick fanservicey death as punishment for selling out the heroes, and I imagine BDT would want a bigger part

Raccooon
Dec 5, 2009

Lilikoi posted:

Let me tell you all about my plan where you kill me and I take over you just so you won't kill me until you actually kill me, but now I'm dead-dead.

I remember thinking that Matt Smith was going to be Young Palps because he has no eyebrows and that can look unsettling sometimes.

So she kills Palp but he doesn't get her body is that because she also died? Could he not take Ben's?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TulliusCicero
Jul 29, 2017

Raccooon posted:

So she kills Palp but he doesn't get her body is that because she also died? Could he not take Ben's?

Apparently there has to be a Sith Ceremony to do it properly, and Rey hosed it up?

So are we to assume that Palps is actually like the passed on spirit of every Sith Lord? Except that's not how the Apprentice/ Master thing works with the Sith? The Apprentice kills their Master when they get more powerful. Why didn't Palps just use his own son or daughter for this? Is this what he actually wanted Anakin/ Luke for? :psyduck:

Like the movie says so much stupid poo poo but moves so fast, you never have a chance to go "wait what?" as you are watching

TulliusCicero fucked around with this message at 04:43 on Dec 24, 2019