Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Trying
Sep 26, 2019

Spiderdrake posted:

I also really like Columbo.

:hai:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Mission Impossible 2 is good because it's John Woo as gently caress.

I just saw Knives Out and it's fantastic.

Artelier
Jan 23, 2015

My partner and I did our Christmas gift exchange yesterday: I gave her the Ali Wong book, plus a hand painted drawing of Iron Man, her favourite Marvel character. She gave me, and herself, a Masterclass subscription (there's a one for one deal going on atm)! And we did exchanged early because then we could go through lessons on Christmas itself. Learning together!

Tonight is date night with Knives Out. Can't waittt

Zeta Acosta
Dec 16, 2019

#essereFerrari
The Witcher show Is really bad

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Zeta Acosta posted:

The Witcher show Is really bad

It's more Hercules: The Legendary Journeys than Game of Thrones and maybe that's okay. I've mostly had it on in the background while playing Witcher 3 on Switch but it's grabbed my attention a few times in both good and bad ways.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
kevin sorbo is a war criminal

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

WatermelonGun posted:

kevin sorbo is a war criminal
Andromeda was a lot more daring than I remember then

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

im gonna watch sofia coppola movies this holiday :)

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

AJ Mendez/Lee is writing GLOW comics. I guess it fits?

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
what’s the most depressing christmas movie

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

die hard :jihad:

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

WatermelonGun posted:

what’s the most depressing christmas movie

Eyes Wide Shut

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

:allears: I love lost in translation a lot :allears:

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Lost in Translation and Her are the best double feature because they're about both sides of the same IRL divorce.

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

fem perspective of divorce: a tale of hope and overcoming loneliness
male perspective of divorce: I want to gently caress my computer in its pussy.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Twombly

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

yea ok posted:

fem perspective of divorce: a tale of hope and overcoming loneliness
male perspective of divorce: I want to gently caress my computer in its pussy.

Lmao

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

Her is good

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

yeah it is

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

Hurr written and directed by Theodurr Twomblomb! Great film in reality however

yea ok
Jul 27, 2006

THat crap sucks me on my. But i'll say this: a masterpiece. truly.

TV Zombie
Sep 6, 2011

Burying all the trauma from past nights
Burying my anger in the past

I miss reading books and the time and attention span needed to read books.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

Spiderdrake posted:

This is pages back and I'm getting caught up but I wanna stop and say I love Poirot. He's loving great. He's got CLASS. He's likeable, charismatic in a cute way.

I also really like Columbo. I like when a detective isn't, you know, overbearing or a super genius. Classy and/or humble.

Though I haven't watched the latter in a while so if he does problematic poo poo I missed it. Kinda feel like it might be that kinda show.

Columbo doesn’t have many POCs in the cast ever, but it’s all about a working class dude sending rich assholes to jail, so it is still okay by me, a poor white man desperately trying to be woke enough.

I’ve seen all but 9 or 10 episodes and I don’t think any of them had me stop and smdh at racist or sexist bullshit.

TV Zombie posted:

You should read Elmore Leonard. Try Rum Punch. He’s super readable. That’s the book Jackie Brown is based on.

Anyway I thought I was having issues with reading and it turns out I was just reading books that were no loving fun that I had convinced myself I had to read for some reason.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

I saw someone on social media suggest a new Columbo series with Natasha Lyonne playing his granddaughter and I think that would be a delight.

a cyborg mug
Mar 8, 2010

TV Zombie posted:

Just start doing it again friend! You can do it!

My various obsessions come and go in waves. When I was in university I barely read anything for fun because I had to read insane amounts of awful rear end German scientific texts which sucked all joy out of reading for me. Directly after I graduated I started reading again (and also sort of had to relearn how to read for fun) and consumed tons of books between 2017-2018. This year I've read MUCH less but that's because I started learning Japanese, and I've spent so much time on that (including watching movies and anime and poo poo) that it wasn't until the last quarter of the year that I picked up a book for real again. This was mostly because in the children's literature course I was doing had us picking some children's literature from a legit great list. Currently reading my 12th novel since October, concentrating on reading a lot of Finnish female authors I hadn't read before. Been trying to fit in reading whenever I've got idle time: On the subway and the bus, just before going to bed instead of browsing the internet etc.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

has anyone said harry potterf yet

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

I really don't get the vitriol about Rise of Skywalker.

Except for doing Rose dirty and dropping Johnson's whole thing of "you don't have to be born important to become so" in favor of "the whole galaxy is three families and like four small towns."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer
I ordered my laptop today thinking I could focus on getting it set up after Christmas because the site said 3-5 business days but it shipped right away and is getting here today and I don't like it because yeah I could just wait a couple days and try to relax but I'll feel like a bit of a tit leaving a brand new laptop just sitting in my house for a couple days. Blah.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I kinda like Columbo.
But I really like the episode of "King of the Hill" where there's a murder investigation and the sheriff plodders around trying to be Columbo only to get clowned at the end of the episode by the Texas Ranger assigned to the case blowing it wide open by doing actual detective work.

I like Detective Conan best though.

dromal phrenia
Feb 22, 2004

So after complaining about/criticizing Sammy Guevara's Funko Pop collection, my GF just got a gift from a friend.

It's a Cousin Eddie from Christmas Vacation Funko Pop. :stare:

I just got owned.

edit: Columbo owns tho

NienNunb
Feb 15, 2012

I think people are weird about Funko Pops. Like I'm not into them but there are people online who base their entire identities around hating them.

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

not speaking for people who base their life around it but hating funko pops makes plenty of sense. more than liking them, to me. they are low quality low effort cash grabs that skim off popular culture except they pull from every single source no matter what it is, and the reason they can do that because it's not just another furby or beanie baby. it's purposefully the most generic and soulless collectible product that can exist. whoever came up with them and is running the operation is the truest greedbastard. now personally i am jealous, and slightly fearful. but hatred is ok in my book

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Anyone else doing much cooking for the holidays? I'm hosting this year instead of my parents so I'm excited to prepare food with flavours other than salt and pepper.

So far I've prepared eggnog ice cream, vinarterta, and roasted carrot dip, today I'm putting together a yule log, some potato buns, and cheddar crackers, and preparing a veggie loaf, and tomorrow I'll finish everything up and add some harissa gruyere potatoes gratin. My sister in law is doing meats and a few sides. Flavours!

Oh yeah and I'll probably make some meringues to use up the egg whites left from the ice cream.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

NienNunb posted:

I think people are weird about Funko Pops. Like I'm not into them but there are people online who base their entire identities around hating them.
I've never met anyone like that. I hate Funko Pops, but I hate them as part of garbage consumerism, not really them in specific.

Buy something nice rather than $10 trash made from recycled diapers and john cena action figures.

Chinston Wurchill posted:

Anyone else doing much cooking for the holidays?
Did a turkey on sunday and we're having prime rib tomorrow. Gonna do potatoes au gratin like the adam rageusea recipe in one of his recent videos and cauliflower cheese tonight, then maybe yorkshire puddings which I'm like 50% likely to gently caress up.

You confound me, tiny puffball pancakes things.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

yorkshire puddings are one of those things where the frozen ones are good enough i don’t see the point in making my own

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

Spiderdrake posted:

yorkshire puddings which I'm like 50% likely to gently caress up.

You confound me, tiny puffball pancakes things.

I'm pretty competent in the kitchen but I've had mixed results with those too. I think the key is getting the oil really hot before adding the batter but hot oil makes me nervous.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

I'm pretty competent in the kitchen but I've had mixed results with those too. I think the key is getting the oil really hot before adding the batter but hot oil makes me nervous.
My problem is they're always delicious but don't like, be a yorkshire pudding. Last time they just turned into balls. Which kinda messes with the inner texture.

Like you want that perfect cup to put gravy in, maybe some meat and green bean. Instead they were just tiny weird dinner rolls.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

Just starting lamb barbacoa for Christmas dinner in the slow cooker. Because roasts are fine but slow cooked spicy lamb is better.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Anyone else doing much cooking for the holidays? I'm hosting this year instead of my parents so I'm excited to prepare food with flavours other than salt and pepper.

So far I've prepared eggnog ice cream, vinarterta, and roasted carrot dip, today I'm putting together a yule log, some potato buns, and cheddar crackers, and preparing a veggie loaf, and tomorrow I'll finish everything up and add some harissa gruyere potatoes gratin. My sister in law is doing meats and a few sides. Flavours!

Oh yeah and I'll probably make some meringues to use up the egg whites left from the ice cream.

my family is having a potluck. im gonna bring some brussell sprouts and broccoli all roasted up and some glazed carrots. Im realazing im outta harissa and now will have to adjust my carrots.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prokhor Zakharov
Dec 31, 2008

This is me as I make another great post

Good luck with your depression!
I gotta start cooking for my queer family but I am already hungover, pray for me friends