Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Maybe I missed something in one of your posts and I’m just being dense here, but if it has a similar effect as infusion and can’t coexist with infusion, why not just keep it as infusion?

I'll read the rest again in detail later (I really like the Bastard ego, you'd just have to take the weapon down a class) but I wanted to respond to this to allay any confusion.

Infusion is great, but Skalds start with it. It's kind of their thing that keeps them alive until they can get Spec Weapon and Regen online. So just like we have sting, magic dart, sandblast I don't see an issue with a similar spell. I think it has to have a cost every swing or there's no reason other than you are out of permabuffs to leave it on all the time.

We could also make it stronger, not take MP, and not be a permabuff. I think I see what you are going for which is that the Reaver can spend time preparing instead of feeling like they have to throw boomerangs or shoot a hand crossbow. Another idea is that Frozen Fist could be like Delayed Blast Fireball, it gives you a power (a button) that is instant (this could take a turn probably) and then it removes that power. This would be anathema to core devs but I dunno, it sounds so cool.

I guess Tolly and PF who are doing the bulk of the heavy lifting can say how far they want to go in differentiation. To me I want to give people a reason to play GC and a big one would be if light armor melee, ranged, and hybrid didn't suck. I'd also like to do stuff like guarantee an arcane lab and some other zone that duos with the Desolation of Salt, maybe instance the Moon Troll cave or put Desolation on the arcane lab rotation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i figured it out, your brain is mashing together pmush perfect w pleasing fungus

also drat my posts wound up on the bottom of the last page lmao

go read them if you missed them imo

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Araganzar posted:

Infusion is great, but Skalds start with it. It's kind of their thing that keeps them alive
I'm not sure it's a good idea to start thinking of any kind of skill or spell as something that is a particular classes' thing, or that it should really be unique to them. The idea that it doesn't have class traits like that is pretty fundamental to the design of Crawl's game mechanics, and I generally wouldn't want to deviate too far from that.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Tollymain posted:

ive been hoping for the proposed change of the shield slot to an offhand slot for a while. i wonder if a main gauche can be given priority over less stabby primary weapons on a helpless enemy? im guessing the code model for the attack here is the unarmed offhand punch

Off hand punch falls in with other aux attacks associated with mutations. Actually I intended for it to work with stabs, but I forgot that it would need to be special cased. I’m pretty sure it shouldn’t be hard to have something take priority over the main melee attack. I could be wrong though.

Tollymain posted:

i actually disagree with this idea. focusing on an enemy until they are dead is generally the correct thing to do when you are swinging a weapon. if anything id say to go in the other direction with an ego that gives you a buff that breaks temporarily if you bump-attack the an enemy repeatedly without slapping something else first

This exact same discussion came up several times years ago, I think shortly after cleaving was added to axes but long before riposte. People were suggesting this sort of mechanic as a special feature of either long blades or maces and flails. Some of the devs were in favor of it, if I recall, partly because Sil was popular at that time and this is a power you can take in that game. The reply to your argument is that actually you end up repositioning, using a potion, zapping a wand, casting a spell, etc. much more often than you might think. A concentration effect adds tension to whether you should continue attacking when there’s a clear better move you would normally take under other circumstance. It does work out to an obvious, boring buff a lot of the time, but it provokes decision making when you’re in danger. I’m not super attached to the idea, though. There are some alternatives I can think of if this one isn’t good, or we don’t need to implement something like this at all.

Earlier versions of WJC did make me really love multiplicative damage bonuses on light weapons, though. It was ridiculously overpowered, but it was so satisfying to kill orbs of fire in a single lunge with a rapier.

Tollymain posted:

im down for this. itd probably should have a snappier name tho

a couple other ideas for robe stuff:
- an ego that hardens dramatically temporarily after you get struck for more than a piddling amount of damage
- an ego that sometimes distracts enemies that are adjacent to you (think animate ribbons and tassels making an enormous nuisance of themselves for everybody in their presence but the wearer)
- a fixedart robe that constricts things that hit you

Actually this is the least favorite of the ideas I posted, because in retrospect, it’s just armor without having to invest in the armor skill. I wanted a clear defensive choice, though, and that’s what I came up with. Your first or second ideas might be a good alternatives. I also thought of a robe that makes dodging less swingy, like GDR for light armor.

Tollymain posted:

i feel like an ego that requires you use another item of a specific category at the same time is too complicated. maybe this would work better as a weapon brand of some kind? except for then i remember that protection is an extant weapon brand. hm

I realized as soon as I read this that, as Araganzar also pointed out, actually just making it apply to any one-handed weapon with nothing in the off hand would work better.

Araganzar posted:

We could also make it stronger, not take MP, and not be a permabuff. I think I see what you are going for which is that the Reaver can spend time preparing instead of feeling like they have to throw boomerangs or shoot a hand crossbow. Another idea is that Frozen Fist could be like Delayed Blast Fireball, it gives you a power (a button) that is instant (this could take a turn probably) and then it removes that power. This would be anathema to core devs but I dunno, it sounds so cool.

I’m fine with the design of frozen fist as you stated it, actually. Though I do like your delayed blast fireball idea as well. Overall I’m probably closer to the core devs on some things than most people here, but I’m also fine with doing weird, different stuff just to do new things and see how they work out. I just wasn’t sure what you were intending for frozen palm. I still think that if the spell is going to do something very similar to infusion it might as well just remain infusion.

Araganzar posted:

I guess Tolly and PF who are doing the bulk of the heavy lifting can say how far they want to go in differentiation. To me I want to give people a reason to play GC and a big one would be if light armor melee, ranged, and hybrid didn't suck. I'd also like to do stuff like guarantee an arcane lab and some other zone that duos with the Desolation of Salt, maybe instance the Moon Troll cave or put Desolation on the arcane lab rotation.

I really agree with all three of those points. Making the cooler portal vaults more common, and maybe eventually expanding on them is an obvious change. Light armor melee (and some stronger support for short blades and lighter weapons, too) and ranged reform are harder problems, but gooncrawl can be a lot freer to try solutions that the vanilla devs would shy away from.

Hammer Bro.
Jul 7, 2007

THUNDERDOME LOSER

Had a great Gnoll Archaeologist going, XL 16 and a nice combination of items. Just got to the Depths and was looking up what that was (been a while) and I fat-fingered some combination of CTRL+S and probably some other buttons in that area (perhaps A, Q, or W).

Not sure if it was a combination of the buttons, bad luck, or the fact that I'm on a BSD but my save appears good 'n' corrupted.

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer
I got killed by my own ghost :(

Victory Position
Mar 16, 2004

PMush Perfect posted:

code:
PoisonMushroom the Ducker (level 1, -2/12 HPs)
             Began as a Skeleton Archaeologist on Dec 22, 2019.
             Slain by a kobold
             ... wielding a +5 short sword of protection
              (5 damage)
             ... on level 1 of the Dungeon.
             The game lasted 00:00:30 (39 turns).
:stonklol:

lmao, slain

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Tollymain posted:

ive come up w a bit of my own proposal regarding the reaver spellbook. its a conjurations-focused book, with secondary schools charms, translocations, and just a little hexes.

level 1 conj/charms: maxwell's piercing pitch. timed buff, semiloud, damage has no elemental type and bypasses ac
level 2 translocations: blink
level 3 charms/tloc shroud of golubria, buffed and with a thorns mechanic (space can have little a sharp edges)
level 3 conj/tloc/summoning: abjuration
lavel 4 conj/hexes: iskenderun's mystic blast, with its damage output lowered but an attached debuff that forms a sort of injury bond between the creatures affected
level 4 conj/tloc: force wave (stolen trunk imb, now replacing force lance)
level 5 conj/charms: blade of disaster (id like to bring back up the idea of calling it maxwell's silver hammer)

So pitch would do x unresistable damage to what everything in earshot each round? I would use piercing pitch for the first level skald spell which seems much more thematically appropriate and move infusion to the reaver starting book. Shroud could be just straight up buffed. Definitely grab force wave. I'm good with calling BoD whatever HG agrees with. Some of these would be hard for me to implement but I like the flavor here.

I'm opposed to removing Ozo's armor which is what makes the class work. Without it there's no clear impetus to stay low encumbrance. I'm not really opposed to anything here though, except maybe injury bond which strikes me as very difficult to balance. There's enough ideas for 2 starting books really, we'd just have to define the class, maybe there is a class that is a mage with melee instead of a melee with magic?

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not sure it's a good idea to start thinking of any kind of skill or spell as something that is a particular classes' thing, or that it should really be unique to them. The idea that it doesn't have class traits like that is pretty fundamental to the design of Crawl's game mechanics, and I generally wouldn't want to deviate too far from that.

Tollymain posted:

now im thinking about a vorpal brand that has a damage bonus scaling inversely proportional to your ac. daring brand

yeah imo a minor weapon damage permabuff that falls off later needs to feel at least a bit more different

I don't necessarily agree here on Infusion/Frozen Palm, there's plenty of precedence for this, but what I'm hearing is we want GoonCrawl to be more about new stuff than reflavoring old stuff. I'm okay with that. I was thinking about making it a damage shield (similar to Tolly's thorned shroud) that does a low level of freeze damage. Also thinking about it adding to offhand attacks, but I'd have to research how often they fire and it would preclude a shield. I'm really open, I like the ice flavor a lot and I think it opens up the field for some other elemental-based non-mages.

Heithinn Grasida posted:

This exact same discussion came up several times years ago, I think shortly after cleaving was added to axes but long before riposte. People were suggesting this sort of mechanic as a special feature of either long blades or maces and flails. Some of the devs were in favor of it, if I recall, partly because Sil was popular at that time and this is a power you can take in that game.

I really agree with all three of those points. Making the cooler portal vaults more common, and maybe eventually expanding on them is an obvious change. Light armor melee (and some stronger support for short blades and lighter weapons, too) and ranged reform are harder problems, but gooncrawl can be a lot freer to try solutions that the vanilla devs would shy away from.

Not quoting much of this because we seem to have resolved most of the issues around the reaver book and I think we have something I could help implement without it stepping on your toes or compromising your vision/intentions.

I think we need a special power for each weapon - axes have cleave, swords riposte, polearms reach, what do staves and M&F do? The response in the past was M&F was the single-target lower skill 2H school and that no one cares about staves. A stun effect that increases the targets next delay was one idea for M&F. I kind of like the single-focus attribute for staves like flipping around a bo staff faster and faster as the combat progresses, but if you have to move or stop to take a potion you lose your flow. M&F are weapons with very heavy heads and I could see them getting going, too.

Here are the things I would probably try to get done in short term:
- finishing Reaver spell book
- increasing incidence of certain portals, maybe guaranteeing an arcane lab
- weapon attributes (new abilities for ones that don't have one)
- some minor light armor reform (one-hand only abilities in light armor, some kind of EV/dodging buff in light armor

My main issue with light armor is you really should be moving much faster in all ways leather than plate and it should be a significant effect. But I guess in the end most of the time this fight turns out like it did in Game of Thrones (HuHu with spear of venom vs DgFi with 30 str and plate).

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.

Araganzar posted:

I don't necessarily agree here on Infusion/Frozen Palm, there's plenty of precedence for this, but what I'm hearing is we want GoonCrawl to be more about new stuff than reflavoring old stuff. I'm okay with that.
This is more of a general comment, but I'm really not personally opposed to seeing a bit more redundancy in the spell list. One recent trend in Crawl development that I am not really fond of is this idea that everything a school of magic does needs to also be unique to it. That recent effort to get rid of basic ranged damage spells except in a bare handful of schools is a good example of that. I'd like it if every school had at least a basic toolset of abilities that is not necessarily equal across all of them, but that provides enough that you do not necessarily have to diversify just to be functional as a caster.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
Alternative Shroud of Golubria idea: It's just a permabuff that increases max HP. Potentially based on spellpower (minimum +10% HP, maximum +30% HP)?

Shroud's effects have always been very opaque and hard to grok, without really being worth it. Turning it into a max HP buff would make it basically do the same thing, but much simpler to understand.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Araganzar posted:

So pitch would do x unresistable damage to what everything in earshot each round? I would use piercing pitch for the first level skald spell which seems much more thematically appropriate and move infusion to the reaver starting book. Shroud could be just straight up buffed. Definitely grab force wave. I'm good with calling BoD whatever HG agrees with. Some of these would be hard for me to implement but I like the flavor here.

i actually meant it as a vibroweapon buff but i lost the word weapon in the process of losing the original post

e: basically piercing pitch is a loud weapon buff that mostly shines against early gnolls who spawned w chainmail, orc warriors, etc

Tollymain fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Dec 24, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Alternatively, what if a different spell increased max HP, and Shroud just gives a small shield bonus, a la Amulet of Reflection (without the reflect part, obviously)? Then it'd avoid the fall off issue somewhat by having great synergy with amulets of reflection and Deflect Missiles.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly thinking about it piercing pitch should just be a semi-loud spell that does chip damage to everything in sight

thats much cooler and p useful to an early game character who fears multiple jackals or so on

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

What if it does the Searing Ray thing, and you can either recast it for the same semiloud chip damage effect, or just keep channeling to make it stronger and louder? At max power, it would be a reusable scroll of noise.

Edit: And a higher level verson called Primal Scream that does more damage and also does some kind of debuff. Probably fear?

Edit 2: They'd be able to be fairly powerful, since they'd have the Shield of the Gong/Singing Sword drawback of "short-term boost in exchange for basically Sentinel's Marking yourself."

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 07:37 on Dec 24, 2019

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

...must attack and fall upon them with a gallant bearing and a fearless heart, and, if possible, vanquish and destroy them, even though they have for armour the shells of a certain fish, that they say are harder than diamonds, and in place of swords wield trenchant blades of Damascus steel...

Shroud of golubria is so annoying to fix because the fact that it’s weak and frustrating to keep active are key parts of its design. If you turn it into a max HP buff then great, you just gave minotaurs +15% max HP after a certain point in the game. Even if you make it a small flat bonus, it’s still probably a buff to heavy armor melee in the mid-late game, which is the play style that least needs buffs. Turning it into a permabuff with a thorns effect (and removing the defensive aspect) might make the most sense, especially if the damage checks AC and is low enough to not be very effective in the late game, but gives skalds and warpers the edge they need to survive adders or jackal packs more reliably.

Cardiovorax posted:

This is more of a general comment, but I'm really not personally opposed to seeing a bit more redundancy in the spell list. One recent trend in Crawl development that I am not really fond of is this idea that everything a school of magic does needs to also be unique to it. That recent effort to get rid of basic ranged damage spells except in a bare handful of schools is a good example of that. I'd like it if every school had at least a basic toolset of abilities that is not necessarily equal across all of them, but that provides enough that you do not necessarily have to diversify just to be functional as a caster.

I think this is a fine line to walk. It’s important for the spell schools to feel distinct, but it’s fine if some spells are broadly similar if it keeps a feeling of usability. As I wrote in another post, there should be a number of basic, workhorse spells that are available to different schools, even if it means that some spells are broadly similar. Different damage types and resistances is enough to distinguish schools as long as there aren’t too many overlapping spells. In other words, I think it’s a good idea to remove or rework either bolt of fire or bolt of cold, but not both.

Player: Everyone hates lightning bolt and bolt of magma, they’re too awkward to use.
Crawl Dev: Let’s remove all the other bolt spells, then people will have to use these if they want an easy to use point-and-shoot spell.

Araganzar posted:

I think we need a special power for each weapon - axes have cleave, swords riposte, polearms reach, what do staves and M&F do? The response in the past was M&F was the single-target lower skill 2H school and that no one cares about staves. A stun effect that increases the targets next delay was one idea for M&F. I kind of like the single-focus attribute for staves like flipping around a bo staff faster and faster as the combat progresses, but if you have to move or stop to take a potion you lose your flow. M&F are weapons with very heavy heads and I could see them getting going, too.
Personally, I’m mostly fine with weapon special abilities as they are. I feel like M&F and, to a lesser extent, staves still have unique niches even though they don’t have special abilities. I’m certainly not opposed to adding special abilities, though. One possibility would be to combine those two ideas for M&F and make them a defensive choice that applies a cumulative chance for an enemy to miss a turn as long as the player continues attacking that enemy. That might require a rebalance of M&F in general, though, since they’re already very strong (easily attainable, can be found with lots of special brands, skill-efficient, versatile) even without a special ability. I’m not sure what to do with staves, in that case.

My issues with weapons actually are the following:
-Weapon choice usually isn’t very interesting. If you start with a weapon you rarely change to another type. Within types there’s very rarely any decision to make beyond one-hander, light two-hander or heavy two-hander.
-Short blades still don’t feel satisfying. Main gauche is partially an attempt to fix that, by giving EV characters with a short blade more capability to stand and fight, but I don’t know how well it would work. It’s also really silly to call rapiers “short” blades and it’s silly that they can’t riposte, but I’m not sure what to do about that.
-There’s rarely a reason to change the weapon you’re using during combat unless you use a ranged weapon. That’s not necessarily bad, constant weapon switching would be really annoying without special implementation, but if implemented well (a built in quick swap slot) it could add a lot more variety to combat.
-Min delay breakpoints make how far you want to train your weapon skill to much of a solved problem.
All of that comes together to mean that most of the time you have a pretty good idea of what weapons you’ll be using in the end game as soon as you either finish character creation or find your first decent weapon in the dungeon. There can be hesitation and decision making in the early game about what to train, but that almost never persists once you get to lair. I’m not sure if anyone else thinks these are issues, though, and I’m not sure there’s a way to address them without more radical changes than most people would be comfortable with.

Araganzar posted:

Here are the things I would probably try to get done in short term:
- finishing Reaver spell book
- increasing incidence of certain portals, maybe guaranteeing an arcane lab
- weapon attributes (new abilities for ones that don't have one)
- some minor light armor reform (one-hand only abilities in light armor, some kind of EV/dodging buff in light armor

My main issue with light armor is you really should be moving much faster in all ways leather than plate and it should be a significant effect. But I guess in the end most of the time this fight turns out like it did in Game of Thrones (HuHu with spear of venom vs DgFi with 30 str and plate).

People who do reenactment or historical martial arts say that “realistically” well made plate armor does very little to impede movement. The HuHu keeps all his advantages (and fatal recklessness and thirst for revenge) in plate and the actual disadvantages of plate (uncomfortable to wear for very long periods of time, but hard to transport when you’re not wearing it, needs constant maintenance, takes forever to put on and take off) are impossible or too boring to try to replicate in a video game. But we don’t need to worry about realism at all. A lot of people go into fantasy RPGs wanting to play a character that specializes in light weapons and armor and I think we should make gooncrawl accommodate that. The simulationist aspect only really matters as long as the options we create have their own play style and suit the fantasy of a light, agile fighter.

I might start working on the main gauche and an “of the bastard” light armor ego (happy to hear suggestions for a better name). I’m pretty sure I could do both of them, though it will take some poking around. The proposal to add lower min delay doesn’t really work if all one-handed weapons are allowed, though. I still want to make it a compromise option between defense through a shield and better offense with a two hander, but lowered min delay has too unequal an effect across weapon types and would be weird with quick blades. Does anyone have any other ideas? Maybe accuracy-based critical hits?

I also would like for there to be some light armor options that are weapon agnostic so that light armor doesn’t feel excluded from two-handed weapons, and maybe a buckler ego that specially benefits light armor, since sword and buckler (swashbuckler) is the grandfather of the rogue/duelist archetype.

Jazerus
May 24, 2011

why should either bolt of cold or bolt of fire be reworked

seems logical that the first thing you do when you learn an elemental school is figure out how to toss a wad of element at your opponents. i don't think it makes sense to deny basic concepts like "a spell that shoots toward where you aim it" to arbitrary spell schools for the sake of pre-lair playstyle diversity

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

I'd say "bolt of fire" because it's redundant with bolt of magma, but that's just in a "put the new firebolt-ish spell in its slot in some spellbooks" way.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

PMush Perfect posted:

I'd say "bolt of fire" because it's redundant with bolt of magma, but that's just in a "put the new firebolt-ish spell in its slot in some spellbooks" way.

Also in that fireball already exists as a “throw a lump of element at the enemy”and is more iconic and thematic with regard to Fire’s flavor as wild and destructive. The new fire spell also seems fun and powerful and replacing bolt of fire with that would be a buff to fire magic in general that would also diversify its play style.

Build and play style variety are dependent on restrictions. I know some people are traumatized by vanilla crawl dev philosophy, but restricting options to some degree is just a part of making a game fun.

This isn’t an issue I’m really worried about either way, but overall I don’t think we really need both bolt of fire and bolt of cold.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Heithinn Grasida posted:

I think this is a fine line to walk. It’s important for the spell schools to feel distinct, but it’s fine if some spells are broadly similar if it keeps a feeling of usability. As I wrote in another post, there should be a number of basic, workhorse spells that are available to different schools, even if it means that some spells are broadly similar. Different damage types and resistances is enough to distinguish schools as long as there aren’t too many overlapping spells. In other words, I think it’s a good idea to remove or rework either bolt of fire or bolt of cold, but not both.

Player: Everyone hates lightning bolt and bolt of magma, they’re too awkward to use.
Crawl Dev: Let’s remove all the other bolt spells, then people will have to use these if they want an easy to use point-and-shoot spell.
You're right, it is a fine line to walk, and washing away the distinctiveness of every school until they all feel the same is certainly not what I would want, either. A few basic workhorse spells (that do not all have to be equally good, but should at least be present) is exactly what I meant.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

Heithinn Grasida posted:

Personally, I’m mostly fine with weapon special abilities as they are. I feel like M&F and, to a lesser extent, staves still have unique niches even though they don’t have special abilities. I’m certainly not opposed to adding special abilities, though. One possibility would be to combine those two ideas for M&F and make them a defensive choice that applies a cumulative chance for an enemy to miss a turn as long as the player continues attacking that enemy. That might require a rebalance of M&F in general, though, since they’re already very strong (easily attainable, can be found with lots of special brands, skill-efficient, versatile) even without a special ability. I’m not sure what to do with staves, in that case.

My issues with weapons actually are the following:
-Weapon choice usually isn’t very interesting. If you start with a weapon you rarely change to another type. Within types there’s very rarely any decision to make beyond one-hander, light two-hander or heavy two-hander.
-Short blades still don’t feel satisfying. Main gauche is partially an attempt to fix that, by giving EV characters with a short blade more capability to stand and fight, but I don’t know how well it would work. It’s also really silly to call rapiers “short” blades and it’s silly that they can’t riposte, but I’m not sure what to do about that.
-There’s rarely a reason to change the weapon you’re using during combat unless you use a ranged weapon. That’s not necessarily bad, constant weapon switching would be really annoying without special implementation, but if implemented well (a built in quick swap slot) it could add a lot more variety to combat.
-Min delay breakpoints make how far you want to train your weapon skill to much of a solved problem.

How unbalancing would it be to just make Short/Long Blades cross train each other at 100%? Or the same for M&F and Staves? What about adding a 2-handed 3-section staff to Staves? My thought on min delay is to agree, there should be none, there should be diminishing returns that grow very strong after you halve your initial delay. What delay do you think a demon whip, evening star, and great mace should have at 27 skill?

I'm not sure weapon switching in combat is realistic at all in the first place, pardon me sir while I sheath my demon blade and get the double blade off my back! I could see it as a weapon are or a weapon class feature (someone whipping out a dagger for a surprise stab in the side is a pretty common trope).

Heithinn Grasida posted:

People who do reenactment or historical martial arts say that “realistically” well made plate armor does very little to impede movement. The HuHu keeps all his advantages (and fatal recklessness and thirst for revenge) in plate and the actual disadvantages of plate (uncomfortable to wear for very long periods of time, but hard to transport when you’re not wearing it, needs constant maintenance, takes forever to put on and take off) are impossible or too boring to try to replicate in a video game. But we don’t need to worry about realism at all.

TBQH I'd like to see the same fight after I kite your boy in plate around the dungeon for a few minutes. But yes, there's a reason baseball hitters swing 2-handed and that's bat speed. Most 2 handed weapons were not considerably heavier and if anything faster than 1-handed. But the fantasy perception is slow and gigantic Cloud sword weapons.

Same thing with M&F, I agree they stand up well in a competitive game by offering return for XP. But they are a boring vanilla choice and without reading tavern forums reach and cleave sound pretty drat appealing. It's hard to parse that there's nothing special or unique about the impact weapons.

Heithinn Grasida
Mar 28, 2005

Araganzar posted:

How unbalancing would it be to just make Short/Long Blades cross train each other at 100%? Or the same for M&F and Staves? What about adding a 2-handed 3-section staff to Staves? My thought on min delay is to agree, there should be none, there should be diminishing returns that grow very strong after you halve your initial delay. What delay do you think a demon whip, evening star, and great mace should have at 27 skill?

I think higher cross training is fine. 100% might be too much, just because it might be confusing and would reduce the feeling of impact in choosing weapon types. Something like 80-90% might be better just for the sake of clarity and game play feel.

What kind of stats would a three-section staff have? Would it be an upgrade over lajatangs?

This is all an aside, because I think it’s probably much too radical, but if I were the god emperor of Crawl, my choice would be for mindelay to just be fixed per weapon with very few ways to reduce it at all. Maybe there could be some specific equipment choices or even something like perks you could take could reduce mindelay, but overall slow weapons would be slow and fast weapons would be fast. Weapon skill just increases damage and accuracy at a linear rate, with natural increasing returns on skill levels serving to balance the cost of deep investment. The overall damage you put out would remain the same as now with current skill investment, but a more sane accuracy formula, maybe adding critical hits and otherwise making weapons more distinct would still work to separate, say, a great sword and a triple sword at 24 LB.

What’s more, weapon skills woudn’t be “long blades”, “short blades”, “polearms”, etc. But something like “finesse”, “power”, “exotic”, “soldier”, etc. with each style containing weapons of different types. Aside from raising the damage of its associated weapons, the schools would have another benefit, like granting the ability to score critical hits, increasing strength, increasing EV, granting SH, etc. with the value of the different styles more closely related to str, dex and armor choices, so you still gain something from a style you’re not actively using making it worthwhile to mix styles or switch between them.

But that seems beyond the scope of things to work on in gooncrawl.

Araganzar posted:

I'm not sure weapon switching in combat is realistic at all in the first place, pardon me sir while I sheath my demon blade and get the double blade off my back! I could see it as a weapon are or a weapon class feature (someone whipping out a dagger for a surprise stab in the side is a pretty common trope).

Yeah, it’s silly, but I think it could help diversify combat, which might be worth some silliness. Weapon switching and two-handing a weapon (while magically instantly glueing a shield to one’s back) is a big feature in Dark Souls and it adds a lot of variety to the game. And combat in turn-based RPGs is so abstracted anyway that you can get away with all kinds of stuff. It might not make sense to switch between a spear and a falchion in the middle of a fight, but certainly lots of soldiers back in the day carried more than one type of weapon and chose between them depending on the occasion.

Araganzar posted:

Same thing with M&F, I agree they stand up well in a competitive game by offering return for XP. But they are a boring vanilla choice and without reading tavern forums reach and cleave sound pretty drat appealing. It's hard to parse that there's nothing special or unique about the impact weapons.

That makes sense. On the other hand, I think it’s fine to be a little demanding of players and ask them to figure out why the plain, vanilla weapons with no special features are actually really good. Of course, I also don’t think there’s anything wrong with adding an interesting feature to M&F or staves if we can implement it. Gooncrawl is clearly going to go in a more maximalist direction, and I think it might be fine to just encourage adding lots of new stuff, then pairing things down if they’re obviously overpowered or don’t add any meaningful choices.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Something that got pulled into trunk broke the race selection screen, I can't pick skeleton any more without using tab, and I think a few other races are missing too.

Edit: Also, Skalds are missing their description.

girl dick energy fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Dec 24, 2019

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

Something that got pulled into trunk broke the race selection screen, I can't pick skeleton any more without using tab, and I think a few other races are missing too.

loving webtiles. I'll figure out why it is cutting off the next page button.

Edit: Yeah this poo poo is a stupid webtiles exclusive bug, no issues on a console build. Looking further.

Edit 2: Made two changes and pushed them but I can't compile WebTiles to find out until tomorrow (unless Araganzar still has the test server up and can try quick).

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Dec 24, 2019

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

code:
a - the +8 mithril axe "Arga" (weapon) {speed, MR+}
L - a +2 executioner's axe of draining
M - a +5 executioner's axe of venom
N - the +14 obsidian axe {chop, +Fly SInv *Curse}
O - the +8 storm bow {elec}
:stonklol:

I found Arga as my Ac item, and the rest in a treasure trove that only cost me piety. So I have no idea which of these to use.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

The obsidian axe obviously. :black101:
Arga is quite probably the best 1h weapon in the game, discounting very rare randarts.

Shady Amish Terror
Oct 11, 2007
I'm not Amish by choice. 8(

Einwand posted:

The obsidian axe obviously. :black101:
Arga is quite probably the best 1h weapon in the game, discounting very rare randarts.

I will fight you, with Wyrmbane, and probably win. ....Arga is still really good though.

Those are all quite good, though I'd probably just be real boring and try to rebrand the bigger exec axe to fire or ice, personally.

Einwand
Nov 3, 2012

You idiot.
In this world it's pet or BE pet.

Arga's better for fightmans and Wyrmbane's better as a caster backup weapon I think, but they're both very good regardless.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
ive got some thoughts after reading the last few posts
  • its really funny that in making ice diffuse and blah blah blah that trunk didnt replace icicle or bolt of cold with a spell using dazzling spray-style targeting i mean cmon its right there
  • we could do that
  • imo the direction to go w m&f differentiation would be some sort of passive ac penetration, or activated timed buff (spears is an activated ability, theres vague precedent)
  • as far as i can tell the current niche for staves is low investment with decent returns for focused casters. is this correct
  • the short and long blades categories should probably be renamed light and heavy
  • bastard ego sounds like a gauntlets thing tbh. maybe it gives a flat bonus to SH and slaying?
  • gauntlets of the free hand
  • maybe a buckler ego that gives you a bonus to attacking the turn after a successful block?

quote:

This is all an aside, because I think it’s probably much too radical, but if I were the god emperor of Crawl, my choice would be for mindelay to just be fixed per weapon with very few ways to reduce it at all. Maybe there could be some specific equipment choices or even something like perks you could take could reduce mindelay, but overall slow weapons would be slow and fast weapons would be fast. Weapon skill just increases damage and accuracy at a linear rate, with natural increasing returns on skill levels serving to balance the cost of deep investment. The overall damage you put out would remain the same as now with current skill investment, but a more sane accuracy formula, maybe adding critical hits and otherwise making weapons more distinct would still work to separate, say, a great sword and a triple sword at 24 LB.

What’s more, weapon skills woudn’t be “long blades”, “short blades”, “polearms”, etc. But something like “finesse”, “power”, “exotic”, “soldier”, etc. with each style containing weapons of different types. Aside from raising the damage of its associated weapons, the schools would have another benefit, like granting the ability to score critical hits, increasing strength, increasing EV, granting SH, etc. with the value of the different styles more closely related to str, dex and armor choices, so you still gain something from a style you’re not actively using making it worthwhile to mix styles or switch between them.

But that seems beyond the scope of things to work on in gooncrawl.

im deeply down for the part about flattening weapon delay. i think its wholly doable if you tune the hp and ac down on monsters somewhat to account for the game currently being designed w the assumption you are using the heaviest thing you can

im imagining four weapon skills covering both melee and ranged weapons, with four associated starts. brigand, soldier, gladiator, and assassin, who specialize in heavy, military, arena, and dishonorable weapons. weapon types aren't mutually exclusive and a weapon may be utilized by more than one skill

heavy weapons are exactly as described. the skill actually does reduce some mindelay. its also disallowed for small species.
military weapons are practical/boring midrange stuff. the skill gives you some passive bonuses to fighting in tight quarters
arena weapons are light or exotic, and the skill gives you some passive bonuses to fighting in open spaces
dishonorable weapons are stuff like daggers, blowguns, throwable potions, the skill gives you passive nonspell fulsome distillation

FebrezeNinja
Nov 22, 2007

I played Hellcrawl for the first time, and good lord Vault:3 is quite the gate check. Almost cleared it with a ton of Nemelex draw fours, but the reinforcement waves after got me.

Also props to the ghosts of CBukowski, catlegs, and Onomatopoeia splatting my gooncrawl runs. :arghfist::v:

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
how much effort would it be to automate removing a shield when switching from a 1 to a 2 handed weapon

as long as you put a "are you sure you want to take off your shield right now" check on it im sure itd be fine

goatsestretchgoals
Jun 4, 2011

Removing shield on 1h->2h switch sounds straightforward enough but what do you do when you switch back to a 1h? Might be able to kludge something with the swap a/b command but I don't see a good way to do the Right Thing(tm) in every case.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
honestly i think its fine leaving the reverse case alone, my logic here is more "the game doesnt make you manually unequip anything else before you can equip a thing/drop a thing"

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー

Einwand posted:

I was going to contest this, saying how Arga's only a war axe and the speed brand will reduce its already weak base dmg to the point where armour is a problem.

Yea, maybe I'll just go back to 2013 where that info was still accurate. Arga is pretty drat amazing now.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

How do you deal best with silencing on pan lord zig levels? I’ve lost like 3 characters to this in the last few months

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

icantfindaname posted:

How do you deal best with silencing on pan lord zig levels? I’ve lost like 3 characters to this in the last few months
Summons while still outside of the range? I guess? IDK, I've never finished a zig.

Dachshundofdoom
Feb 14, 2013

Pillbug
FR: make it so reading a scroll of noise while silenced significantly reduces all existing silence effects and damages silent spectres.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

icantfindaname posted:

Javs of Pen in GoonCrawl or silver javs in trunk, evocable blink or blink mutation, there are a lot of ways to semi-control where you blink to. That's really about it, most strategies for dealing with silencing pan lords involve some version of those two. It's best to haste as soon as you see there's a possibility of Silence. Evocables and AOEs like TSO's holysplosion can also be useful but generally only javs of pen offer the range and damage needed and even then it's really useful to swap to any slaying you have.

To be fair though, I haven't megazigged since they put in silencing pan lords because the silence in the first couple zigs was just too scary. Many people swear by Gozag, even post-nerf.

Floodkiller
May 31, 2011

PMush Perfect posted:

The species paging thing is fixed on WebTiles now. Don't know which thing I did fixed it and I don't care. Hit $ on species select to go to the next page now.

Still need to look into the Skald description since that is missing on all versions. I'm also not as worried if I can't fix it, but I'll still try.

Edit: Fixed the Skald thing.

Floodkiller fucked around with this message at 17:09 on Dec 25, 2019

Charles Bukowski
Aug 26, 2003

Taskmaster 2023 Second Place Winner

Grimey Drawer

FebrezeNinja posted:

I played Hellcrawl for the first time, and good lord Vault:3 is quite the gate check. Almost cleared it with a ton of Nemelex draw fours, but the reinforcement waves after got me.

Also props to the ghosts of CBukowski, catlegs, and Onomatopoeia splatting my gooncrawl runs. :arghfist::v:

My bad, sorry fam. A ghost got me too :P

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

Floodkiller posted:

The species paging thing is fixed on WebTiles now. Don't know which thing I did fixed it and I don't care. Hit $ on species select to go to the next page now.

Still need to look into the Skald description since that is missing on all versions. I'm also not as worried if I can't fix it, but I'll still try.

Edit: Fixed the Skald thing.
We love you.

Dachshundofdoom posted:

FR: make it so reading a scroll of noise while silenced significantly reduces all existing silence effects and damages silent spectres.
Yes.