Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
this writing and voice acting deserves better than a 2019 harley quinn cartoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Hypocrisy posted:

"I made him make it."
Came to quote that.

I'm enjoying how the characters that are usually dumb goon thugs are the most erudite, and the usually suave characters are a bit thick.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
Superman "Is she mad about the paywall too? $7:99 is an ambitious price point and it doesn't included the crossword, which is ridic"

Old Kentucky Shark
May 25, 2012

If you think you're gonna get sympathy from the shark, well then, you won't.

Hypocrisy posted:

Good episode but I really hope they pay off all these Ivy x Harley moments.

I believe they specifically said in interviews that they weren't going to go there this season. So have fun with that.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

I believe they specifically said in interviews that they weren't going to go there this season. So have fun with that.

Eh, it feels like they're at least going for a deliberate slow burn with a goal in sight, so that's a plus. They do feel like the sorts of characters who would take a while to realise how much they're into each other.

The only issue is that they'd damned well better be confident that they're going to get another season if they're playing it slow with the overall story like this.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Old Kentucky Shark posted:

Yeah, I really feel like the red herring here is that some fans are hoping for hot lezbo action and they're going to turn on the show when that doesn't happen, with creepy veiled under *and* overtones.

I like that they're kinda sticking to a Gotham City Sirens recipe (even though Dini's done some hosed up things with Ivy), sans Catwoman (so far). Harley and Ivy weren't an item in that, either, and at the end Ivy nearly killed Harley because she used her love for her against her.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

This is better than anything else currently on their service. They better get another season.

Also liked that dumb "Harley even known ya" gag.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I laughed at the "Ive/I've" joke. Also Robin coming in on a flying hoverboard.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

muscles like this! posted:

I laughed at the "Ive/I've" joke. Also Robin coming in on a flying hoverboard.

a hoverboard/hoverboard

And his little baby voice like a southpark kindergartener. Everything about Robin was great, just a little prick that has a cutesy persona. This show is killing it with their takes on the characters.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I rewatched the first episode with my wife and I still find it to be cringey and try-hard edgy. But from 2 on it's fantastic. I can't quite figure out why the pilot rubs me the wrong way but I'm glad I gave the show a chance.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!

Rhyno posted:

I rewatched the first episode with my wife and I still find it to be cringey and try-hard edgy. But from 2 on it's fantastic. I can't quite figure out why the pilot rubs me the wrong way but I'm glad I gave the show a chance.
There's definitely a difference. The first episode had a lot of anime-style closeup nonsense gore, and the rest so far have little to none of that.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

roomforthetuna posted:

There's definitely a difference. The first episode had a lot of anime-style closeup nonsense gore, and the rest so far have little to none of that.

The supporting cast being amazing sure doesn't hurt.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they also toned down the swearing and it actually has an impact now so that helps a lot

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007

BIG HEADLINE posted:

Yeah, I really feel like the red herring here is that some fans are hoping for hot lezbo action and they're going to turn on the show when that doesn't happen, with creepy veiled under *and* overtones.

I like that they're kinda sticking to a Gotham City Sirens recipe (even though Dini's done some hosed up things with Ivy), sans Catwoman (so far). Harley and Ivy weren't an item in that, either, and at the end Ivy nearly killed Harley because she used her love for her against her.

From what I've seen, the fans who want them together noticed what the showrunners said about them not being an item in the first season and are hoping for a slow burn type of deal, though they're worried about the whole Kite Man thing. Given the comic run the show is actually based on* combined with the teasing from the latest episode, it'd be a dick move to not eventually go that route.

Also, two women characters getting together romatically isn't the same as "hot lezbo action" what the gently caress?

*Granted, the comic didn't do a great job of it.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Mumbly posted:

From what I've seen, the fans who want them together noticed what the showrunners said about them not being an item in the first season and are hoping for a slow burn type of deal, though they're worried about the whole Kite Man thing. Given the comic run the show is actually based on* combined with the teasing from the latest episode, it'd be a dick move to not eventually go that route.

Also, two women characters getting together romatically isn't the same as "hot lezbo action" what the gently caress?

Since when have comic purchasers cared about romance. They crazy gymnast and seductress eco terrorist mif genre has been fueling the thirst for 30 years.

Mumbly
Apr 12, 2007
Can't tell if that's a joke or not, but since... always? Romance subplots are popular.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Robodog
Oct 22, 2004

...how does that work?
Considering Ivy can't stand people in general, besides Harley, she's putting up with her personal space being invaded by Harley's crew like a champ.

SimonCat
Aug 12, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
College Slice

Mumbly posted:

I'm fine with it going either way. I don't see Ivy ending up with Kiteman, but it makes for a good running gag if they are kinda into each other for the series run.

Is the disabled land lord based on someone? I'm more of a move/series fan than an actual comic fan.

LegoMan
Mar 17, 2002

ting ting ting

College Slice
Holy poo poo the Kite Man cutaway was so good

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

SimonCat posted:

I'm fine with it going either way. I don't see Ivy ending up with Kiteman, but it makes for a good running gag if they are kinda into each other for the series run.

Is the disabled land lord based on someone? I'm more of a move/series fan than an actual comic fan.

He was a character in one of the recent series. In that one he was a retired spy. Don't know if they're going that way here, but I assume they didn't get Jason Alexander in just to voice a disapproving landlord.

Dr. Fishopolis
Aug 31, 2004

ROBOT
Just binged the 4 eps that are out. How did I not know this show was so good? Holy crap.

This takes a little bit of the sting out of Tuca and Bertie getting cancelled. Also, this character is now my permanent headcanon for Clayface and I'll never see him in any other media in any other way.

MadJackal
Apr 30, 2004

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

This takes a little bit of the sting out of Tuca and Bertie getting cancelled. Also, this character is now my permanent headcanon for Clayface and I'll never see him in any other media in any other way.

This is one of those portrayals I could see carrying on in other forms, like Nextwave's impact on their team in the wider Marvel universe.

...we really need a Nextwave movie.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I'd really like to see this version of Doctor Psycho make it into other media. C-word and all.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

Dr. Fishopolis posted:

Also, this character is now my permanent headcanon for Clayface and I'll never see him in any other media in any other way.

Yeah, it's a nice new take on him. Even the TAS version was extremely violent and :staredog: sometimes.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
This Harley Quinn show is great.

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

MadJackal posted:

This is one of those portrayals I could see carrying on in other forms, like Nextwave's impact on their team in the wider Marvel universe.

...we really need a Nextwave movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rk3p9rqLKGA

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Rhyno posted:

I'd really like to see this version of Doctor Psycho make it into other media. C-word and all.

So Dr Psycho.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
He's never been portrayed as fun like this, usually dismissed as a little creepy pervert.

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005
Yeah Dr Psycho along with Dr Light really got made into the "hahaha, this villain sure does hate women and does really horrific stuff on the reg for fun" thing that DC was doing for awhile. Like obviously the hating women thing is still here but he's not making people eat their own fingers or lay down with a hot iron on their stomach or whatever.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
they haven't had a bad take on a character yet, everything they've tried has been great

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Though Dr Psycho hating women was part of his character from the start unlike Light.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Though Dr Psycho hating women was part of his character from the start unlike Light.

I mean, he's a Wonder Woman villain. They're going to have at least one token misogynist. I think what makes this one charming is that he's hit rock bottom and is starting to slowly realise how awful he is (while the universe uses him as its punching bag and most of his victories are achieved with the help of his female boss).

thebardyspoon
Jun 30, 2005

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yeah it was always there, they just amped it up around Infinite Crisis I feel. Maybe it was just the general tone of the comics at that time though.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

LegoMan posted:

Holy poo poo the Kite Man cutaway was so good

Kite Man.

Hell yeah.

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Looks like Sy is joining the crew.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

It is I, Frankie Muniiiiiiizzzzzz!

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

I kinda liked Doctor Psycho being competent, and :3: at the picture of Ivy consoling Harley.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Ivy is real zen-like. A real inspiration.

Some really good gags in this episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Angry Lobster
May 16, 2011

Served with honor
and some clarified butter.
King Shark is such a good boy :3: