Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Spiderdrake posted:

Are nebula even that dense?

No. They're tens or even hundreds of lightyears across and are still, for all intents and purposes, as much vacuum and void as the rest of space.
It's just their vastness that offers a lot of opportunity for light coming from the other side lots of opportunity to be blocked by something.

It's the same as the “asteroid belts” that show up in various space fiction, where you have to do some fancy piloting to not to be crushed by the giant rocks… when in the actual asteroid belt, you would have to have absurdly good telescopes on hand to be able to even see another asteroid while standing on one.

The thing about space is that it's quite large. Things are pretty far apart. It's a whole lot of nothing. But that makes for very boring visuals.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zadda
Jan 27, 2007

Young Urchin

Ponzi posted:

Years ago, I read a book called 'Flat Earth News''. It explained why the standards of printed news media have declined in recent years. I guess the same reasons can be used for online news.

Basically, it's down to pressure for profit leading to less journalists, and those journalists being required to write more column inches. So they don't have the time to first-hand investigate, so source their stories from news agencies such as AP, PA, Reuters, etc

Amazon has a good description:
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Flat-Earth-News-Award-winning-Distortion/dp/0099512688

I've read this book as well a couple of years ago, it was an interesting read, albeit quite depressing in a way.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Real curious question:

Why is there fog / dust in literally every shot? Space is the complete opposite of this, everything is sharp, because there is a lack of particles in the vacuum. does SQ42 take place completely in a nebula?

Comedy answer is that it's the default particles in Cryengine and their juniors either haven't found how to turn it off or how to do anything else. Although this trailer had lots of spark particles as well.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Armadillo Tank posted:

Any gas would be absorbed by massive stellar bodies. So Sci Fi stuff that has nebulas/ gas clouds in system are kinda wrong.

Most goons are net emitters of gas, while being massive stellar bodies. I wouldn’t discount exotica like a gas giant with a captured secondary hitting the upper atmosphere with a significant gravitational sheer enough to really gently caress things up, but it still takes an absolute shitton of material to provide anything remotely foggy.

My name is Hav, and I occasionally design solar systems.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Tippis posted:

No. They're tens or even hundreds of lightyears across and are still, for all intents and purposes, as much vacuum and void as the rest of space.
It's just their vastness that offers a lot of opportunity for light coming from the other side lots of opportunity to be blocked by something.

It's the same as the “asteroid belts” that show up in various space fiction, where you have to do some fancy piloting to not to be crushed by the giant rocks… when in the actual asteroid belt, you would have to have absurdly good telescopes on hand to be able to even see another asteroid while standing on one.

The thing about space is that it's quite large. Things are pretty far apart. It's a whole lot of nothing. But that makes for very boring visuals.

This is the point where I boost ‘Space engine’ for its portrayal of a ‘total perspective vortex’ of space.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/314650/SpaceEngine/

Wider than elite, probably a lot shallower, but bursting with scientific truthiness. Treat yourself.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
A Chris-Mas Carol

Chris Roberts waves his hands around a lot and yells at his staff about the color of a pixel. That night he is visited by the ghost of his brother Erin's self-esteem. "Tonight you will be visited by three ghosts."

The ghost of Chris-Mas past is first. He shows him the making of the first Wing Commander game, and how Chris didn't credit the actual game developers. Chris complains about the fidelity of what he sees.

The ghost of Chris-Mas present is next. He shows Chris the disaster that is CIG. "This is Tier-0," Chris replies. "It's still early days."

The ghost of Chris-Mas future is next. He shows Chris an industry laughing at his lifetime of failures, then forgetting him completely. "You are Derek Smart," Chris tells the ghost.

Chris wakes up in his mansion. He leaps out of bed, drives his Porsche to work, waves his hands around a lot and yells at his staff about the color of a pixel.

Fin.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Spiderdrake posted:

Are nebula even that dense?

Also that video is so loving boring and makes me wonder what people think 'making a video game' entails.

No they’re only slightly more dense than the normal interstellar medium, a region with the same volume as earth would only contain a few kilograms of matter. Same with asteroid belts.

The only regions of space with the sort of densities you see in sci-fi would be the accretion disks of black holes or the debris fields resulting from the collisions of large planetary bodies.

As for your second question, in the weird world of Star Citizen, people think that art assets shoved into a broken Cryengine mod will somehow equal a game some day.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:21 on Dec 26, 2019

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

kilus aof posted:

All of this video was created on the fly by a 64kB file:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JZ6ZzJeWgpY

Turns out when you are making a video you can do whatever you want.

Yeah, but to be fair, Mercury as a demo group consists of highly clever, technically versed people who probably forgot more about graphics programming than the typical 25yr old senior at CIG will ever know. Also, it is highly unlikely that these people would work for a con-artist like CR.

Ahahaha, what the...? How did I miss this? This marvel-ripoff intro alone is gold! And yeah, the typical demo scene video has more of a stroyline than this. But nice models, though. This rotating ship at minute 2 is also something I would expect from either a cheesy 90s trailer or some 15yr old making his first steps in video editing.

I can only assume that Calders stopped by at Chris' mansion, asking about SQ42 and the absolute silence.

"Mr. Roberts, we are worried that people will stop giving our endeavor free money, there was no information about this Squadron 54 game this year, what is going on?"
CR: "Caldi-Boy, calm down, I've got this. Want a cigar? Or a good nosy-nosy? Anyway, I've tasked some intern to make some video, that'll set things straight"
"Mr. Roberts, are you claiming that this short video with no real content will smooth out the waves and get people to give us more money without questions?"
CR: "Oh what do you know, I've made Wing Commander! I`am C-H-R-I-S R-O-B-E-R-T-S! This video is still more than these fools deserve, got it? Now please excuse me, I've got more important business to attend to, Grafton will show you the door"

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

Not because we are constantly fudstering over here but this visual teaser is legit seriously yawn inducing and far from the impressive but fake visuals shown in previous years cons etc. It does not just disappoint for the obvious lack of actual gameplay but for the visuals themselves. Honestly, it is almost like CIG is not even trying anymore. Disappointed.

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 11:47 on Dec 26, 2019

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

MedicineHut posted:

Not because we are constantly fudstering over here but this visual teaser is legit seriously yawn inducing and far from the impressive but fake visuals shown in previous years cons etc. It does not just disappoint for the obvious lack of actual gameplay but for the visuals themselves. Honestly, it is almost like CIG is not even trying anymore. Disappointed.

Agreed, but at this point anything is better than nothing at this point for the citizens.

quote:

I have to say that I really enjoyed the teaser. Especially the many details were interesting and the graphics are even better. Which is of course annoying for the "But this looks old-fashioned even for an Alpha"-trolls.

Just the scene in which a worker is transported exhausted (or bored) looked incredibly good. Even at this camera distance the character looked incredibly detailed.
I'm really looking forward to 2020.

As if there were two different trailers/teasers and I've watched the wrong one...

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

Tippis posted:

that sums it up perfectly. space is like infinite nothingness. it is something hard to grasp for our human minds and also quite scary to imagine.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

About as much gameplay shown as in a 3DMark benchmark. At least 3DMark 2001 had some kind of racing mode built-in.

Dante80
Mar 23, 2015

Merry Christmas Citizens. Let's have a great 2950!!

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

I've got a Ryzen 3800x and a 1080ti and I can't get a playable experience at 1080p regardless of settings or drive I used. If a 970 EVO M.2 NVMe drive isn't good enough I don't know what is.

I tried last week, which was the last time someone told me it was 'so much better now' that I had to check it out. Well nope, still runs like rear end unfortunately for me. Even broke out my hotas in anticipation.

quote:

:trustme: I have same exact setup and it runs great for me... I also have a 2600 & 1660ti that it runs well on. Hell, it runs perfectly fine on my laptop with a maxq 1060.

quote:

:trustme: Yeah I think this guy only considers 144+ FPS as playable. I mean I'm at 2560x1080 with a GTX 970, I never drop below 30FPS and usually run the game around 40-50 FPS depending on where I am. Get drops in the big cities and such.

quote:

:trustme: Sounds like something isn't right on your end. It definitely runs better and there's no arguement

quote:

“There’s no argument”

Well considering he’s saying the exact opposite your statement doesn’t make any sense.

quote:

:trustme: In order to form an argument, he'd have to verify that his computer is set up correctly.

quote:

:trustme: Or he's bullshitting considering we have telemetry data proving him wrong lmao.

quote:

That chart says that less than 30% of players get over 40 fps, sounds like it runs like rear end. To put it another way, according to the telemetry data less than 8% of players get 60 fps.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

Nice! I had wondered when Star Citizen was going to take a break from all those gameplay focused video showcases and focus on visuals for a change! An unexpected Christmas gift!

quote:

The gameplay development has happened so rapidly, it's nice to see them take a little time and work on the cosmetics of the game.

quote:

I just hope they start announcing more ships I am so disappointed by the latest trend of large roadmap progress and consistently release new features like salvage.

quote:

:reddit: I can't tell if this is sarcasm or not.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Bofast posted:

About as much gameplay shown as in a 3DMark benchmark. At least 3DMark 2001 had some kind of racing mode built-in.

As I said elsewhere, i know some guys who given a few weeks, 90 days tops, could produce a FMV pretty much like that.

While the gameplay video shown 2 years ago had cut scenes, and contained a lot of boring walking down corriodors, you could be pretty sure it was actually recorded in the game (or in some form of the game, possibly in a custom SC level) and someone could actually play it.

This video was pure bullshot.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

MedicineHut posted:

In 2005 at e3 Sony released a Killzone 2 gameplay trailer they claimed was running on a PS3. Which was clearly a pre-rendered video especially because Guerrilla Games had only just received the PS3 dev kits. A lot of people called bull on that. Same poo poo happened with Madden 06. Now this wasn't the first time game companies had pulled this poo poo but this was right at the point Internet video had gone mainstream and the term bullshot was created because of those videos so I had a little hope this had enough momentum to stop this in its tracks. Of course I was wrong, really wrong. The games weren't punished in sales for blatant lies and their franchises just got bigger and bigger. And game companies to this day keep putting out bullshots.

Gamers as a group are dumb. You can explain things to them but you can't understand it for them. They complain all year that the e3 trailers didn't match the games released and then when the next e3 comes around will blindly jumped back on the hype train. Pretty pictures will always trick gamers.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Agony Aunt posted:

As I said elsewhere, i know some guys who given a few weeks, 90 days tops, could produce a FMV pretty much like that.

While the gameplay video shown 2 years ago had cut scenes, and contained a lot of boring walking down corriodors, you could be pretty sure it was actually recorded in the game (or in some form of the game, possibly in a custom SC level) and someone could actually play it.

This video was pure bullshot.

True, but I have the feeling that this video from 2yrs ago could have been a stock-standard CryEngine map with 100% scripted NPCs and such, just to show something and figure out the rest later.
I'am pretty sure that if CIG has something with substance we would know by now. The sad part is that such an amateurish teaser with no gameplay footage in it after a year of silence is enough for the backers to be happy again. I think this only works because for most citizens, game development (and by extent, development of complex software systems) is some kind of black magic and they literally don't understand that such a video could be put together in a few hours (the assets are there, after all) with absolutely no game logic attached to it, not even collision detection and such, let alone AI.

Actually, one could even argue that this teaser is meant as some sick demonstration of might, announced as a "christmas surprise": Show off some 3D models, use tropes like the spinning spaceship and the marvel intro, and without any gameplay whatsoever just to demonstrate how gullible and servile the backers have become. The normal reaction to such a video should have been "are you loving kidding me?", not "wow, so much detail! faith restored!"

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Why do all the people move like they are in a PS2 game, Roberts have spent like 100 Mill on mocap but not on a generic walking animation?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

Sandweed posted:

Why do all the people move like they are in a PS2 game, Roberts have spent like 100 Mill on mocap but not on a generic walking animation?

There were rumors that the whole mocap stuff he did prematurely because he couldn't wait to direct A-list actors is not usable at this point. I have no idea about motion capturing and don't know what kind of pre/post-processing has to be done to get it into a game engine, but given that we are talking about CR I don't think this is entirely out of question.

On the other hand, walking in video games is surprisingly hard. I think death stranding does it really well, but even that glitches out sometimes in difficult terrain, and they had actually competent engineers, something CIG doesn't have. So i don't expect this will get much better than the bad animations we currently have in SC and probably S42 if it ever releases (lol)

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

ggangensis posted:

There were rumors that the whole mocap stuff he did prematurely because he couldn't wait to direct A-list actors is not usable at this point. I have no idea about motion capturing and don't know what kind of pre/post-processing has to be done to get it into a game engine, but given that we are talking about CR I don't think this is entirely out of question.

I remember those rumors and it's entirely believable. If I'm not mistaken he had those guys in motion-capture getups before almost anything was done with actually building a game. We'll just snap it in! That was also the genesis of the rumor that he tried to get some of those actors on the hook for returning for additional motion capture and at least one actor said no loving way, we're never coming back.

I love this dead gay game.

Mailer
Nov 4, 2009

Have you accepted The Void as your lord and savior?

Sandweed posted:

Imagine you wanted people to see you like a bigshot Hollywood director. "The cutscenes were great and this guy should make a movie" people would cry. You'd instantly get your ticket back into Hollywood and everyone would forget what a massive failure you are and also your name would be mentioned alongside Scorsese and Spielberg because you're such an industry icon. Everyone would cheer and you'd arrive at the Oscars in a limousine. Everyone who doubted you eats their words and forgives all debt.

If you're having problems imagining this, or have started to point out logical flaws, you're more competent than Chris Roberts.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Mailer posted:

Imagine you wanted people to see you like a bigshot Hollywood director. "The cutscenes were great and this guy should make a movie" people would cry. You'd instantly get your ticket back into Hollywood and everyone would forget what a massive failure you are and also your name would be mentioned alongside Scorsese and Spielberg because you're such an industry icon. Everyone would cheer and you'd arrive at the Oscars in a limousine. Everyone who doubted you eats their words and forgives all debt.

If you're having problems imagining this, or have started to point out logical flaws, you're more competent than Chris Roberts.

It's funny but sad at the same time. It must be hard to let go - I mean technically, for a small while, he was "there." He had his name on a pretty successful game, and a fledgling industry was temporarily mistaken for another at the exact time that was necessary for Chris to worm his way into Hollywood right alongside another little-known sci-fi property (Star Wars if I'm not mistaken) and at the time one sci-fi property was much like another. The planets lined up exactly that way to let Chris into a seat he should never have been in, but in his mind, he was "there." And now he's not. So he doesn't understand that it was a fluke - he was the Honey Boo-Boo of directors, and his 15 minutes was longer than most. He's very unlikely to give that up until he's had time to frame a narrative that keeps his ego intact.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!
Hey! Was just wondering, how much will it cost me to buy a Christmas-themed hat in the game?

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

[x] Game's supposed to release next year, was completely 100% absent from their biggest marketing event of the year.
[x] Game's supposed to release next year, and their only marketing efforts on it focus on pre-rendered visuals, not even a loving lengthy clip but a "teaser".
[x] The progress tracker is showing the project is generously a year behind schedule and that's if you believe their original schedule (you shouldn't).
[x] Zero gameplay has been shown in what, a couple of years?

Yeah, this is all going great. Squadron 42 best game of 2020!

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

ggangensis posted:

There was one of the E3 PC game shows where both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous were being mentioned and pimped.
David Braben flew from the UK to appear.
Chris lived an hour or so drive from the awards, but couldn't go as he was too busy doing mo-cap.
And sent a video mail instead wearing a mo cap suit.
Wish I could find the magic words on youtube here to get it here.

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

quote:

Imagine trying to compare Star Citizen to RDR2 just to prove a point. NO game can be compared to Star Citizen because no game has reached for the stars (pun intended) nearly as much as this game has. The scope of SC and SQ42 to me adds at least another 3-5 years on top of any previous AAA game. And since a normal AAA game can take ~7 years, why do people have a hard time with a 10 year timeline? It's simple logic
:psyduck:

Mr.PayDay
Jan 2, 2004
life is short - play hard

Scruffpuff posted:

So the 2019 Christmas reveal was a fake trailer that does not in any way represent the state of the project. There was no way to see this curveball coming.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qcHAfaQh3QE

They are well on track tho, a Citizen mailed me this as proof of progress , because He felt I am downplaying the AAAA game impression of SQ42

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Sandweed posted:

Millions for mocap but not a penny for a game.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Sandweed posted:

The real question is why such a ~visionary~ would rely on something as primitive as mocap. Surely he would want to create a fully simulated human body down to the individual tendons and all the muscles and such so that you would actually be a virtual human walking around..

Star Citizen QWOP aw yeah

edit: hope he doesn't read this post

G0RF
Mar 19, 2015

Some galactic defender you are, Space Cadet.

happyhippy posted:

There was one of the E3 PC game shows where both Star Citizen and Elite Dangerous were being mentioned and pimped.
David Braben flew from the UK to appear.
Chris lived an hour or so drive from the awards, but couldn't go as he was too busy doing mo-cap.
And sent a video mail instead wearing a mo cap suit.
Wish I could find the magic words on youtube here to get it here.

Here it is.

Two E3s later, the mere mention of Star Citizen prompted chuckles from the PC Gaming Show crowds and set their twitch stream afire with “Scam Citizen” mockery. Chris sent in a flashy show reel for the upcoming Alpha release, surely expecting elation and fawning, and he got open scorn instead. They apparently didn’t believe he was saving PC Gaming anymore. Those jerks!

Creed Reunion Tour
Jul 3, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

Most goons are net emitters of gas, while being massive stellar bodies.

quoting this typo for posterity

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Creed Reunion Tour posted:

quoting this typo for posterity

Can confirm, just farted.

Sectopod
Aug 24, 2017

What's the Homeworld-esque capital ship shown at 0:59 and at the end?
Did they refactor the Bengal carrier or are they teasing some new shiny JPEG?

EvilMerlin
Apr 10, 2018

Meh.

Give it a try...

Sectopod posted:

What's the Homeworld-esque capital ship shown at 0:59 and at the end?
Did they refactor the Bengal carrier or are they teasing some new shiny JPEG?

That's not a ship, that's a Shubin Mining facility.

kilus aof
Mar 24, 2001

The cultist dream of a world filled with $300 million plus games is a legit nightmare world. Any ounce of creatively, uniqueness , style, flair or risk will be drowned out as only the most bland, trend chasing, corporate approved trash will be trusted with $300 million budgets. Also forget gay characters having more than a tertiary role in a game.

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

kilus aof posted:

In 2005 at e3 Sony released a Killzone 2 gameplay trailer they claimed was running on a PS3. Which was clearly a pre-rendered video especially because Guerrilla Games had only just received the PS3 dev kits. A lot of people called bull on that. Same poo poo happened with Madden 06. Now this wasn't the first time game companies had pulled this poo poo but this was right at the point Internet video had gone mainstream and the term bullshot was created because of those videos so I had a little hope this had enough momentum to stop this in its tracks. Of course I was wrong, really wrong. The games weren't punished in sales for blatant lies and their franchises just got bigger and bigger. And game companies to this day keep putting out bullshots.

Gamers as a group are dumb. You can explain things to them but you can't understand it for them. They complain all year that the e3 trailers didn't match the games released and then when the next e3 comes around will blindly jumped back on the hype train. Pretty pictures will always trick gamers.

Most, if not all, trailers that don't show obvious gameplay will have fine print at the bottom that says "not actual gameplay" (usually for pre rendered footage) or "in engine footage" (for something that's not gameplay).

echothreealpha
Nov 22, 2019

ggangensis posted:

On the other hand, walking in video games is surprisingly hard. I think death stranding does it really well, but even that glitches out sometimes in difficult terrain, and they had actually competent engineers, something CIG doesn't have. So i don't expect this will get much better than the bad animations we currently have in SC and probably S42 if it ever releases (lol)

Not surprised.

Especially when he wants it to be THEM motion captured for everything.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?

Here's a trailer from Ultima Online 2 that does exactly the same thing as this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EGWBSjHVGI

Hm, I'm sure this isn't a great comparison. I mean, what happened to UO2?

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

hottubrhymemachine posted:

edit: conspicuous by their absence were the A lister hollywood celebs from squadron 42, i’d have thought their tier 0 mark hamil and gillian anderson would be front and center. instead we got nothing... wonder what’s going on there. i’d love to be a fly on the wall...

This probably correct and simple explanation for this is that most of the stars have contracts written so they get paid out every time their likeness is used in "new" media; so it's probably just CIG being cheap financially responsible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Beet Wagon
Oct 19, 2015

ggangensis posted:

Considering the number of times they've announced they were going back to the mocap studio for reshoots and pickups, it's not hard to imagine that they didn't really plan ahead and had to throw tons of poo poo out. I mean we know for a fact that they didn't plan for female animations and had to go back and recapture them lol.

EvilMerlin posted:

That's not a ship, that's a Shubin Mining facility.

they did also rip off Homeworld with the Pioneer, a couple years ago though.