Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
Ultra Carp

The Cameo posted:

Anyway, unrelated, I'm going to just have a little headcanon in my mind that the whole Rey Palpatine thing came around because JJ got a note saying "can we make Rey a princess somehow?" and he went "... gently caress, there's only one Emperor, only way this'll work and mean anything is if we go that route". I mean, she's technically a princess as his only living next of kin, right?

Royalty in SW isn't that stringent. Padme was a queen because she was elected, and leia was a princess because she was adopted

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES
the one thing that confuses me is making a good action movie isn't hard because they literally have formulas for what works, so my hot take is the movie was intentionally bad because Disney wants to kill Star Wars - now that they've analyzed its success they can discard its bloated corpse to create their own space opera IP that is 100% geared towards merch sales, even more than the star war.

anyway quote me on this and let me know in like 6 years if I was right

Gnome de plume
Sep 5, 2006

Hell.
Fucking.
Yes.
Know what the real problem is?

No more musical numbers, not a single one since Return and only Laptio Nek counts

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Pyrus Malus posted:

the one thing that confuses me is making a good action movie isn't hard because they literally have formulas for what works, so my hot take is the movie was intentionally bad because Disney wants to kill Star Wars - now that they've analyzed its success they can discard its bloated corpse to create their own space opera IP that is 100% geared towards merch sales, even more than the star war.

John Carter's gonna smash the box office this time, I just know it.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pyrus Malus posted:

You say that like Star Wars wasn't already 100% geared towards merch sales.

They're too cowardly to try new things and too dumb to get the old things right.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

If the prequels didn't kill Star Wars, this isn't going to either. Yeah a lot of people feel like Star Wars isn't special anymore, but most of us are probably still going to watch the next movie anyway, just as tons of people with Marvel movie fatigue still watch Marvel movies. That said, I don't feel any particular emotional attachment to any of the new characters, and I doubt I'm alone in that, so losing the ability to throw OT characters into the trailers to make people wonder what they're up to presumably won't help (unless they get truly desperate and actually reboot the series). I just think there will always be tons and tons of people looking for any kind of 'this one's good, I swear' word of mouth to drag them back onboard, no matter how many bad movies come out before then.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Sinteres posted:

If the prequels didn't kill Star Wars, this isn't going to either. Yeah a lot of people feel like Star Wars isn't special anymore, but most of us are probably still going to watch the next movie anyway, just as tons of people with Marvel movie fatigue still watch Marvel movies. That said, I don't feel any particular emotional attachment to any of the new characters, and I doubt I'm alone in that, so losing the ability to throw OT characters into the trailers to make people wonder what they're up to presumably won't help (unless they get truly desperate and actually reboot the series). I just think there will always be tons and tons of people looking for any kind of 'this one's good, I swear' word of mouth to drag them back onboard, no matter how many bad movies come out before then.

Ah, like Sonic the Hedgehog.

fatherboxx
Mar 25, 2013

They will just do another lower budget fanservice as gently caress series on Disney+ and a Feige-produced 3hr movie that is 30% xwings 30%alien babies and 40% horrible quips that is going to make 4 billion dollars and an ungodly amount of merch money

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

In five to ten years, we’ll probably look at this trilogy with rose colored glasses the same way we’re currently looking at the prequels.

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

I kinda wonder if doing more television/stuff like Clone Wars might be good for Star Wars. It feels like the lesser budget and longer run time lets them poke at stuff a bit more and expand out a bit.

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Ghost Leviathan posted:

You say that like Star Wars wasn't already 100% geared towards merch sales.

They're too cowardly to try new things and too dumb to get the old things right.

Star Wars was pulled from the mind of a man in the 70s, so inherently it's flawed as a merchandising tool. Ityool 2019 and beyond, in these days of marketing directors understanding perfectly how to squeeze out every last cent via recursive pavlovian conditioning inserted into every single form of media, a machine learning algorithm sometime in the future will create the perfect intellectual property that will doom humanity to a disney-dominated dystopian culture based entirely around maximizing profit for the mouse and his goons.

We can't even fathom what they have in store for us.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pyrus Malus posted:

Star Wars was pulled from the mind of a man in the 70s, so inherently it's flawed as a merchandising tool. Ityool 2019 and beyond, in these days of marketing directors understanding perfectly how to squeeze out every last cent via recursive pavlovian conditioning inserted into every single form of media, a machine learning algorithm sometime in the future will create the perfect intellectual property that will doom humanity to a disney-dominated dystopian culture based entirely around maximizing profit for the mouse and his goons.

Do they, though

Pretty much every indication is in late capitalism every company is run by cocaine addled sociopaths who have no understanding of base humanity and are doing whatever random poo poo works with the numbers that marketing makes up, and routinely completely blindsided by something from out of left field that's allowed to be creative.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Pyrus Malus posted:

I think you're way off here. Nothing sells merchandise like growing up giving a poo poo about something, because not only will adults spend shitloads of money on the stuff, but they'll do their best to introduce their kids to it. If people could capture lightning in a bottle like that at will, Marvel movies wouldn't be crushing everything else in Hollywood.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Pollyanna posted:

Let's talk about good Star Wars stuff that isn't the sequels. Despite the garbage that is Rise of Skywalker, I still want to like this franchise. I'm already watching Mandalorian, but that's ending soon (the first season, I mean). I heard that Rebels is good?

Are there still new books coming out? I thought that the old extended universe stuff got decanonized/memory holed by Disney, are they still adding stuff to it or has it been effectively banned?

I really like Dark Horse Comics' run. Specifically, Tales of the Jedi and KOTOR. But it's all great. Before the ST and Disney sale when we didn't think we'd get anymore new non-EU content, I was prepared to go forward with this franchise with just the comics alone and was kinda like "Fair enough! At least this is still a visual medium!" because they were that good.

Dishwasher fucked around with this message at 14:33 on Dec 26, 2019

Pyrus Malus
Nov 22, 2007
APPLES

Sinteres posted:

I think you're way off here. Nothing sells merchandise like growing up giving a poo poo about something, because not only will adults spend shitloads of money on the stuff, but they'll do their best to introduce their kids to it. If people could capture lightning in a bottle like that at will, Marvel movies wouldn't be crushing everything else in Hollywood.

Yeah okay, doomsday prediction aside this is a good and fair point. Both Star Wars and Marvel have these vague notions of childhood associated with them that is difficult to recreate with a new IP.

Y'all know they've got genetically modified disney scientists in a lab 24/7 trying to figure out how to do it though.

Dishwasher
Dec 5, 2006

Congratulations on not getting fit in 2011!

Pyrus Malus posted:

I think the series is for sure going to look entirely different going forward and probably be a lot more stupid and vanilla. This was an experiment to see if dumbing-it-down is something they'll get called out for (By the critics....not necessarily from your rank and file fans it seems!).

Rey being basically a superhero now, and likely going off to fight other space wizard super villains, is just Disney sticking to what they "know" instead of space opera, which they really don't.

Watched the movie again and loving WOOOOF. It's actually bad and I apologize for saying it wasn't. Like, this had to be this bad on purpose.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Pyrus Malus posted:

Yeah okay, doomsday prediction aside this is a good and fair point. Both Star Wars and Marvel have these vague notions of childhood associated with them that is difficult to recreate with a new IP.

Y'all know they've got genetically modified disney scientists in a lab 24/7 trying to figure out how to do it though.

And they're going to loving suck at it. Thing is with the scientist analogy is that science requires taking risks and trying new things and stuff you don't already do to see what happens, which Disney is pathologically averse to on anywhere near the scale required to get useful data. Despite having far more than enough money to release B-sides and experimental poo poo that breaks the mould as well as their tried and true cash cows, late capitalism means everything needs to make all the money all the time and can't be allowed the possibility of failure, so it's over-managed to the point where it can't succeed.

Like the whole thing with the MCU is that they bought a huge trove of ideas and formulas that they hadn't already done to death, and didn't really bring anything new to them other than take advantage of things that had already been proven to work in comics- and it turns out if you don't do those things without being desperately ashamed of being a superhero movie you make the big bucks because it's fun trash designed to appeal to all ages.

Ghost Leviathan fucked around with this message at 14:44 on Dec 26, 2019

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Cartoon Man posted:

In five to ten years, we’ll probably look at this trilogy with rose colored glasses the same way we’re currently looking at the prequels.

well, i won't speak for anyone else, but my opinion of every single one of the movies has been consistent thus far. i will fully admit to preferring the prequels over the new trilogy, but it has always been the case. the prequels have problems light years long, no doubt about that. but i've always felt they were more imaginative, interesting, and just plain entertaining, than anything in the new OT. after watching every movie in the prequels, i, like many, bitched about them for countless hours. and yet, the one thing that i can say in their favor is that i felt i could still watch them on repeated viewings. with the exceptions of a few scenes in TLJ, i have absolutely no interest in ever seeing the disney SW films ever again.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Sinteres posted:

I kinda wonder how many of those kids will grow up and completely reject whatever nerd stuff their parents try and force on them. I know a number of people who have based their entire identity around their love of nerd IPs and they've had kids and they just swaddle them in Star Wars blankets and video game things and it's makes me feel really uneasy. I am by no means saying that they're bad parents (I don't know and don't care) but when your kid is a 10 day old infant and their crib is covered in porgs and R2D2 plushies I wonder what that child is going to grow up and be like.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I kinda wonder how many of those kids will grow up and completely reject whatever nerd stuff their parents try and force on them. I know a number of people who have based their entire identity around their love of nerd IPs and they've had kids and they just swaddle them in Star Wars blankets and video game things and it's makes me feel really uneasy. I am by no means saying that they're bad parents (I don't know and don't care) but when your kid is a 10 day old infant and their crib is covered in porgs and R2D2 plushies I wonder what that child is going to grow up and be like.

I know I had Batman pajamas when I was a kid (though my parents weren't comic book nerds at all), and I still like Batman, so as long as Disney keeps putting out kid focused cartoons and poo poo to help the kids get and stay hooked, I think it'll work out. Obviously not everyone's going to turn into a life long fan, but if the parents are into it, that's just another point of entry. Yeah, teens find their parents super embarrassing, but that's still a lot of years for the kids to decide they like Star Wars after being exposed to a ton of it for years before then. Obviously it helps if they make some good movies that aren't 40 years old at some point though too.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Dietrich posted:

I'm pretty sure it has paid for itself. 2 billion for force awakens, 1 billion for rogue one, 1.3 billion for last Jedi, 400 million for solo. Rise is at 374M already globally. They bought it for 4 billion.

And don't forget...

The budget doesn't include marketing, which is insane for star wars. Even a conservative analysis with marketing equal to budget, figuring in theater take, they are still over 2 billion in the hole. It doesn't even look like ROS will do more than barely break even. (Worse opening than TLJ and the word of mouth is bad; and it likely cost more considering whst by all accounts is a frantic production with absurd marketing)

Now moichandisin, sure. But they are in full 'what the gently caress have we done' mode, believe me

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Dec 26, 2019

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Dietrich posted:

Yeah like 125-175M a pop. They were at 4.7B gross before rise came out. 4.7 - 600M = 4.1, and they spent 4.05 on the acquisition. Plus merchandising.

I mean the point is just that they've pretty much paid for themselves now. Not that it's some sort of runaway success.

Loool a single movie costs more than 600 mil including marketing in this franchise.

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

dex_sda posted:

It doesn't even look like ROS will do more than barely break even.

It already made more than 500 million in less than a week, this sounds crazy.

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

There's really no meaning in making beetles fight.
marketing costs for these movies are absurdly high, and they did tons of reshoots and so on and so forth.

they might not earn that much extra

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sinteres posted:

It already made more than 500 million in less than a week, this sounds crazy.

It opened worse than TLJ. The bulk of the money is made first week, and performance after is even measured in multiples of opening weekend gross (so called 'multiplier'). Some movies have high multipliers, but they have good word of mouth. ROS is 'kinda ok' even by people who liked it.

Now, consider that the budget likely was higher due to a by all accounts frantic production, mesning budget probably broke 300mil. Marketing was absurd for this one, and even conservatively you spend the same on marketing as movie budget, so another 300 mil.

Theater takes part of your gross, so it probably needs a billion worldwide to break even, maybe even more. And it only barely looks to be on track.

Merch sales are down, and attendance at parks is low. This is a loving disaster to Disney.

They are probably in the black thanks to merchandising, but it is by no means the cow laying golden eggs they wanted.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

dex_sda posted:

It opened worse than TLJ. The bulk of the money is made first week, and performance after is even measured in multiples of opening weekend gross (so called 'multiplier'). Some movies have high multipliers, but they have good word of mouth. ROS is 'kinda ok' even by people who liked it.

Now, consider that the budget likely was higher due to a by all accounts frantic production, mesning budget probably broke 300mil. Marketing was absurd for this one, and even conservatively you spend the same on marketing as movie budget, so another 300 mil.

Theater takes part of your gross, so it probably needs a billion worldwide to break even, maybe even more. And it only barely looks to be on track.

Merch sales are down, and attendance at parks is low. This is a loving disaster to Disney.

They are probably in the black thanks to merchandising, but it is by no means the cow laying golden eggs they wanted.

TLJ had a budget of like $300 million, and I'm pretty sure that includes marketing?

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

it's not including marketing.
and likely the budgets are higher due to hollywood accounting.
they don't have to show us all the extra hidden costs or all the money laundering thats inevitably going on
i dont have any proof but i believe this none the less

Dr Kool-AIDS
Mar 26, 2004

Isn't Hollywood accounting the opposite of that, where they pretend the budgets are higher than they really are so they never have to say they made money?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

McCloud posted:

Like, they literally hooked her up with the neo-nazi kid instead of the black guy.

He's 36 lol

Wild Horses
Oct 31, 2012

Sinteres posted:

Isn't Hollywood accounting the opposite of that, where they pretend the budgets are higher than they really are so they never have to say they made money?

no loving idea ha ha

Capfalcon
Apr 6, 2012

No Boots on the Ground,
Puny Mortals!

I still can't believe that the last scene we see of Chewie is him flipping out over finally getting a medal.

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

Sinteres posted:

A little bit of both. Hiding costs with worse tax breaks, inflating others. Regardless, twice the stated budget is the ballpark of what a movie costs.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 26, 2019

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
If a big company invests 4 billion in something and only roughly breaks even heads tend to roll. To spend that much cash and not see a significant return and/or growth is poor.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Dishwasher posted:

Watched the movie again and loving WOOOOF. It's actually bad and I apologize for saying it wasn't. Like, this had to be this bad on purpose.

Really? What happened? What made you change your mind?

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

Capfalcon posted:

I still can't believe that the last scene we see of Chewie is him flipping out over finally getting a medal.

He should have torn the gold wrapper off and taken a bite of the delicious space chocolate inside.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

https://twitter.com/Spectre799games/status/1209746679546564608?s=19

It's cool to see McGregor, Park, etc really embrace their involvement in the prequels. I wonder how the sequel cast will feel in a decade, although I doubt the sequels will receive the same sort of latter day appreciation that the prequels have gotten.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Mat Cauthon posted:

It's cool to see McGregor, Park, etc really embrace their involvement in the prequels. I wonder how the sequel cast will feel in a decade, although I doubt the sequels will receive the same sort of latter day appreciation that the prequels have gotten.

Obviously there’s no way of knowing for sure but episodes 2/3 are at least a reasonable-to-good story, poorly told. Hubris of the Jedi leading to the dual failures of the Emperor and Anakin’s fall.

I’m less sure about Rey’s story. Maaaybe hindsight makes everyone appreciate Ben’s arc a bit more?

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

sassassin posted:

If a big company invests 4 billion in something and only roughly breaks even heads tend to roll. To spend that much cash and not see a significant return and/or growth is poor.

Yeah and each movie gets worse and worse for them, too. ROS looks about break-even, the end of a loving star wars trilogy! R1 didn't make much money, and Solo lost literal hundreds upon hundreds of millions of dollars. None of the movies after TFA inspired growth in merchandising, and even made the sales fall to the ground. Their rides are empty.

It is actually kind of impressive, the fashion in which Disney Star Wars ate poo poo in just 5 years.

They made Lucas look like a genius for selling it for 4 bil. He gets a nice payout, stops having to worry about this poo poo, and even gets fans who previously whined at him for the prequels to clamor for his involvement. He must be in a hell of a mood these days.

dex_sda fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Dec 26, 2019

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Again, they had the opportunity to play thesis-antithesis-synthesis with the movies since TLJ was critical of what came before it, but they hosed themselves out of it with TROS.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SUPERMAN'S GAL PAL
Feb 21, 2006

Holy Moly! DARKSEID IS!

Don’t worry yourselves. You watch, in 10-20 years we’ll get both SW and Marvel reboots, with the ultimate goal of merging the IPs. What’s that smell? Nostalgia? *drops a massive dead alien squid on Orlando*