Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SilentChaz
Oct 5, 2011

Sorry, I'm quite busy at the moment.
I read every Sonic comic by Ken Penders and they're wilder than you could ever imagine.

Bobby Schroeder posted:

Sure, everyone vaguely knows the Archie comics are weird, and it’s easy to find goofy out-of-context panels. But that’s only skimming the surface. What’s up with the bizarre recurring themes in his stories? The obsession with rear end in a top hat dads? The weird attempts at mature themes? Dingo firing squads executing civilians? A cartoon bee dying from eating an LSD-laced chili dog? Distasteful allusions to the Holocaust? Implications that teenage Sonic characters were having sex off-screen? Why did any of this happen?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

I don't know why anyone would subject themselves to that but I salute them.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges
and here's "10 weird and wonderful Archie Sonic stories that hold up today", the far less masochistic follow-up

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Huh, never realised the person who was behind the "Shojo Manga" Sabrina introduced Nicole in her modern form, TIL.

Though Ian taking the ball with that, that I did know and I find it part ways wholesome and hilarious.

Mikedawson
Jun 21, 2013

TwoPair posted:

I've been following her blog from the start. Part of the purpose of the blog was to eventually start getting to the Flynn comics she never got to originally while growing up. There were a couple hiatuses, so she got past Penders just recently.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

TwoPair posted:

Hell, I was actually working on something like this, but gave up. It's such a loving black box to me. A recording of some weird as hell clusterfuck of a continuity. It's certainly a wild ride just reading about it.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
I sat down and read through the chronological posts of that blog recently, and it was such a bizarre nostalgia trip. I'd read most of these back when I was younger, but had apparently forgotten most of the wilder stuff given that my reactions went from "Oh yeah, I remember liking Archie Sonic. Let's check this out" to "Wow, did I like this? Or was I just happy to be reading Sonic comics?"

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzXFuYN89k&t=76s

I can't decide if this is charming or lame as poo poo. Maybe both?

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
It's rad as heck, op.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Yeah it's super charming, what are you on about?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

TwoPair posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uEzXFuYN89k&t=76s

I can't decide if this is charming or lame as poo poo. Maybe both?

I haven't been following the comic that closely, who's the angry platypus guy on the right between Eggman and Sonic?

Larryb fucked around with this message at 04:24 on Nov 29, 2019

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

Larryb posted:

I haven't been following the comic that closely, who's the angry platypus guy on the right?

That's new comic villian Dr. Starline, resident Eggman fanboy who's more practical than his idol. He was introduced at the start of the current arc, so far he's alright but there's not much to go on.

Android Blues
Nov 22, 2008

Larryb posted:

I haven't been following the comic that closely, who's the angry platypus guy on the right?

That's Sonic the Hedgehog. He's cool, but watch out for his attitude!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Notably this issue his frustration with Eggman is at its highest.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

MonsterEnvy posted:

Also his plan b seems to be better thought out.
I mean it’s almost guaranteed to go tits up, otherwise there’s not much of a story, but not for lack of foresight.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 19:50 on Nov 29, 2019

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!
Finally sat down and read the new issue, this is a pretty good one. If it had come a little earlier, the Zombot arc would be moving at a pretty good clip. Its smoothed over some of my irritation from earlier and I'm willing see where it goes from here.

MonsterEnvy posted:

ConanThe3rd posted:

Also his plan b seems to be better thought out.
I mean it’s almost guaranteed to go tits up, otherwise there’s not much of a story, but not for lack of foresight.

Yeah, Starline is shaping up to be an interesting contrast to Eggman's style of villainy. He's definitely leaning toward "flunky more competent than his boss", so I wonder if they'll end up directly antagonistic toward each other or if Starline will stay on pointing out how Eggman's ideas are badly implemented.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer

Agent Rush posted:

Yeah it's super charming, what are you on about?

I found it charming when he did it with the Sonic Heroes soundtrack in the Metal Sonic arc but I find it a little hokey/pandering here. But clearly others like it, to each their own I suppose.

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

TwoPair posted:

I found it charming when he did it with the Sonic Heroes soundtrack in the Metal Sonic arc but I find it a little hokey/pandering here. But clearly others like it, to each their own I suppose.

To be fair, characters quoting song lyrics about them is kind of Ian Flynn's thing. It happened a few times in World's Collide and the Mega Man comics too, like when Protoman quoted "I'm not the Breakman" before fighting Mega Man in the Mega Man 3 adaptation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am fond of when there was a Chaotix arc and their profiles were.

Vector: The karma collector.
Espio: Clearly ready to go.
Charmy: Dishing out first sting.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine

Agent Rush posted:

To be fair, characters quoting song lyrics about them is kind of Ian Flynn's thing. It happened a few times in World's Collide and the Mega Man comics too, like when Protoman quoted "I'm not the Breakman" before fighting Mega Man in the Mega Man 3 adaptation.

Or Doctor Light quoting the robot hair line

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Last issue of Tangle and Whisper (for now, probably, I get the feeling this was a test for a hypothetical relaunch of a universe side book) is out.

Easy highlight for me
”Oh crap, my alien augmented hammer lost its alien because it might have an issue with smashing a non-robotic being in the face. Oh wait, I have a club.” THWOMP

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:52 on Dec 12, 2019

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy
Starline is either going to go out and become his own villain, or stay with Eggman and essentially become his new Snively.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

BrokenGameboy posted:

Starline is either going to go out and become his own villain, or stay with Eggman and essentially become his new Snively.

Given how he’s presenting his ‘contingency plan’ to Eggman this Issue, I’d argue the former.

Speaking of which, woof is this one’s heavy. Getting some real “Antoine getting blown up” vibes off the entire thing regardless of how reversible the situation is.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

So if this is true, IDW may be going inactive after January. Not sure whether this means the comic is canceled or not though.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8687/IDW-Publishing

Breadallelogram
Oct 9, 2012

Larryb posted:

So if this is true, IDW may be going inactive after January. Not sure whether this means the comic is canceled or not though.

https://www.drivethrurpg.com/browse/pub/8687/IDW-Publishing

I think they mean IDW will no longer be selling on that website. Not seeing any indication IDW is going away anywhere else.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Breadallelogram posted:

I think they mean IDW will no longer be selling on that website. Not seeing any indication IDW is going away anywhere else.

Yup, nevermind. False alarm

https://finance.yahoo.com/news/idw-positioned-exciting-2020-momentous-142000391.html

Agent Rush
Aug 30, 2008

You looked, Junker!

ConanThe3rd posted:

Last issue of Tangle and Whisper (for now, probably, I get the feeling this was a test for a hypothetical relaunch of a universe side book) is out.

Easy highlight for me
”Oh crap, my alien augmented hammer lost its alien because it might have an issue with smashing a non-robotic being in the face. Oh wait, I have a club.” THWOMP

I liked this series, I hope a Universe style side book gets the green light. I love reading about how the other characters live their lives outside of the biggest crises with Sonic and Eggman.

Now I'm wondering if Mimic spends the whole Zombot crisis in that cell, if it breaks him out of it, or if he ends up another Zombot. I'm imagining an automatic feeder on it and giggling.

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
Issue #24 hosed me up super bad. It would have felt unearned if the miniseries hadn’t been a thing, but as it stands Tangle going out like the biggest drat hero ever and Whisper completely losing it as a result was absurdly effective. That was some One Piece tier ugly crying right there. The now nearly dead inside Cream being the one to console her at the end just made things even more sad.

Even though nobody is actually dead, there’s going to be all sorts of trauma to sort through in the end. Those are the stakes we’re dealing with here. Cream is hosed up now, and it’d be one hell of a cop out to walk that back. Thank you for the Christmas present, Ian. Depression is my favorite.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Oh yeah the last chapter was super sad.

drrockso20
May 6, 2013

Has Not Actually Done Cocaine
Honestly at this point I wouldn't be all that surprised if this arc gets resolved through a time travel reset or something, well either that or basically everyone gets turned into a Zombot and it turns out that the cure inflicts some minor amnesia and wipes most everyone's memories of this whole mess, feels like it's otherwise going to leave things too broken to really do anything with afterwards

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
No, this whole thing is going to end with Eggman figuring out a cure out of pure spite when he gets overthrown.

Or, since I presume we're headed to Angel Island soon, emerowd magic

Perpetual Motion
Aug 12, 2013
Oh, the emeralds are almost certainly going to be a big part of the solution. They're literally just hanging on Eggman's wall like the original Chekov's Gun, going completely unused. What's to be seen is just how interesting the solution will be, conceptually. Will "going super" just burn off the virus completely? Will they power some device Tails cooks up? Will it be some sort of Sonic Unleashed Light Gaia callback? Who knows!

Whatever it is, I at least have confidence that it'll be super cool to see drawn.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
According to Ian this will be the lowest point for the heroes.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Grimey Drawer
Well there certainly ain't much lower for them to go aside from actually killing someone

BrokenGameboy
Jan 25, 2019

by Fluffdaddy

TwoPair posted:

Well there certainly ain't much lower for them to go aside from actually killing someone

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009

TwoPair posted:

I’ve got five on Sonic (deliberately) infecting Eggman and having Shadow and Espiso’s thoughts on the matter of killing him (as much as this isn’t literally doing so) thrown back in Sonic’s face.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Dec 27, 2019

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
Whatever the resolution is, much like Forces itself it'll kind of have to involve something Silver did, otherwise the future he returned to comes to pass.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Wait, what did Silver do in forces?

Shadowlyger
Nov 5, 2009

ElvUI super fan at your service!

Ask me any and all questions about UI customization via PM
He fights Infinite before the first boss fight against him and knocks loose one of the prototype Phantom Rubies that Infinite was supposed to destroy. The Avatar later finds it. Not only does it allow them to survive their subsequent fight with Infinite, they use it at the end to dispel the virtual sun.

It's small, but without Silver being there, the Avatar dies in their fight with Infinite, Sonic is banished to the Null Void with no one to help him escape, and Infinite wipes out the rest of the Resistance with the virtual sun, resulting in the Eggman-controlled future Silver was originally from.

Shadowlyger fucked around with this message at 18:10 on Dec 27, 2019

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

ConanThe3rd posted:

I’ve got five on Sonic (deliberately) infecting Eggman and having Shadow and Espiso’s thoughts on the matter of killing him (as much as this isn’t literally doing so) thrown back in Sonic’s face.

He tried to do that in their last meeting if I recall correctly.