Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

nurikabe posted:

Is the best bet for an intensely peaty scotch still Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10?

Or Laph Quarter Cask, which is sometimes less expensive than 10

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Laphroaig is slightly smokier. Ardbeg is slightly better. they're both insanely good drams.

And I'll take the sweetness of young Laphroaig over young Ardbeg any day.

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

nurikabe posted:

Is the best bet for an intensely peaty scotch still Ardbeg 10 or Laphroaig 10?

Port Charlotte from Bruichladdich is also a good option, maybe $10-15 more per bottle.

Logan 5
Jan 29, 2007

Bash -> To the Cop
Or if you are looking for maybe a more briny peat: Ledaig 10 or Talisker 10.

Not as much the peat monsters that Laphroaig and Ardbeg can be, but for non-Isaly peat they're two of my favs.

Bape Culture
Sep 13, 2006

My wife got me some suntory “torys extra” for Christmas. It’s absolutely dogshit and the picture on the side seems to show it being mixed with soda. What can I do with it to make it more appealing!? The soda does nothing.

obi_ant
Apr 8, 2005

I can’t find a decent supply of EH Taylor aside from the small batch and single barrel. Are the rest of the line up supposedly hard to get?

Weltlich
Feb 13, 2006
Grimey Drawer
Got a bottle of Mellow Corn for Christmas.

gently caress the police.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

Okay I got a bottle of Octomore 7.3 and I love it so much.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Anyone know of a site to get samples shipped to Florida? Total wine only carries a scant selection of samples.

I've had Abelour A'bunadh suggested to me multiple times by multiple people, but I'm not up for dropping $100 on a bottle (which is deep into "special occasion whisky" territory for me) I've never tried, and there aren't any good whisky joints around to order a glass.

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

Okay I got a bottle of Octomore 7.3 and I love it so much.

I have not tried too many Octomores, but the ones I did were not only drinkable, they were delicious and highly warming. It's hard to describe, but the smoke starts from the back of the mouth and rolls forward in waves.

Mao Zedong Thot
Oct 16, 2008

TobinHatesYou posted:

I have not tried too many Octomores, but the ones I did were not only drinkable, they were delicious and highly warming. It's hard to describe, but the smoke starts from the back of the mouth and rolls forward in waves.

I had a flight of Octomores a few months ago and they were really all over the place. All good, but some were young and raw, some older and smoother.

7.3 is wild, it's 5yo, 63%(!!) but smooth and salty and heavy with vanilla (and a gently caress ton of peat).

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man

Mao Zedong Thot posted:

I had a flight of Octomores a few months ago and they were really all over the place. All good, but some were young and raw, some older and smoother.

7.3 is wild, it's 5yo, 63%(!!) but smooth and salty and heavy with vanilla (and a gently caress ton of peat).

I love the high proof Caol Ila “Unpeated” releases. I ended buying a case of the 10yr 65.8% 2009 bottling. Not sure I’ve seen a single malt higher than that. It’s not subtle and it doesn’t “open up” with water.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004

Bape Culture posted:

My wife got me some suntory “torys extra” for Christmas. It’s absolutely dogshit and the picture on the side seems to show it being mixed with soda. What can I do with it to make it more appealing!? The soda does nothing.

Torys is Suntory’s retro budget label and as far as I know is Japan only, so yeah, it’s not good, you’re supposed to buy it at the convenience store and make highballs with it. In Japan that means soda, but with a little lemon juice too. Add a lot of ice, and you’re supposed to have like six of them and get smashed. I’d try doing that.

Discussion Quorum
Dec 5, 2002
Armchair Philistine

spankmeister posted:

I always thought jura 10 is bottled before it's prime. The 15yo is much much better but it's very hard to find.

I just had Talisker 10 at a bar and it was everything I wanted the Jura to be, with some extra smoke besides.

I guess the moral of the story is I need to find an excuse to go to lots of whisky tastings since I'm not a frequent bar patron.

zmcnulty
Jul 26, 2003

Bape Culture posted:

Being Suntory's official dogshit whisky, it's basically too far gone to be rescued (Tory's technically wasn't even a whisky before 1989). FWIW they have offered canned highballs using it with all sorts of different flavors over the years: ginger ale, coke, tonic, orange, mandarin, yuzu, sudachi, kiwi, guarana, plum, pineapple, ramune. So just try whatever fruits/carbonated mixers you can until you find something that helps you get past the dogshittiness.

edit: I hope she didn't pay more than like :10bux: for the bottle. Given it's a "Japanese whisky," the dogshit ones that aren't well known outside of Japan are a scam just waiting to happen.

zmcnulty fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Dec 28, 2019

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

Anyone else tried Connemara? It’s a peated Irish Whiskey which is kind of weird. It has that brightness of 80 proof Irish whiskey but finishes like licking a piece of charcoal. It’s odd, I’m not sure I like it

Automata 10 Pack
Jun 21, 2007

Ten games published by Automata, on one cassette
Laphroaig 10 is what I imagine the rum ham
tasted like after Danny Devito fished it out of the ocean

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Odd Mutant posted:

Laphroaig 10 is what I imagine the rum ham
tasted like after Danny Devito fished it out of the ocean

Is that good or bad

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

The Quarter Cask is way hammier. Tastes like someone immolated a pig.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008
Costco had Laphroaig 12 Cask Strength IB bottles for $50 a week or so before Christmas. Tastes like a salty hock of meat over a big open wood fire.

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

What are IB bottles?

InsensitiveSeaBass
Apr 1, 2008

You're entering a realm which is unusual. Maybe it's magic, or contains some kind of monster... The second one. Prepare to enter The Scary Door.
Nap Ghost

Shrapnig posted:

Anyone else tried Connemara? It’s a peated Irish Whiskey which is kind of weird. It has that brightness of 80 proof Irish whiskey but finishes like licking a piece of charcoal. It’s odd, I’m not sure I like it

I haven't had it for a while, but I like both Irish whiskey and peat. Dammit, I'm going to have to see if the state store has any.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Enigma posted:

What are IB bottles?

Independent bottlers. Basically third parties who buy you casks from producers and bottle them under their own label. Alexander Murray, Gordon & MacPhail, Signatory, and Douglas Laing are some of the big ones. The Costco bottles looked like this:

TobinHatesYou
Aug 14, 2007

wacky cycling inflatable
tube man
Sometimes you just have an itch for a 4th or even 5th fill hogshead single malt...

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Vox Nihili posted:

Independent bottlers. Basically third parties who buy you casks from producers and bottle them under their own label. Alexander Murray, Gordon & MacPhail, Signatory, and Douglas Laing are some of the big ones. The Costco bottles looked like this:

Wow, that's awesome. I've never seen that before, and I can't even get Laph 10 for that price.

Costco here doesn't carry anything but Glenfiddich and JW.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Vox Nihili posted:

Costco had Laphroaig 12 Cask Strength IB bottles for $50 a week or so before Christmas. Tastes like a salty hock of meat over a big open wood fire.

Is That Good Or Bad

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

ITGOB okay I'll go with this as the acronym. :v:

Enigma
Jun 10, 2003
Raetus Deus Est.

Considering you're talking about a type of Scotch that includes delicious modifiers like band aids, burnt tire, and bog, I'm gonna go with "good."

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I'm trying to put together a raffle basket to donate for a nonprofit organization's raffle. My best bottles are all opened so among my unopened bottles I was thinking of putting together: Woodford Reserve Batch Proof 2019, Stagg Jr., Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917 and a Knob Creek Single Barrel store pick that is 14+ years old. All my rare and allocated stuff is already opened so I can't offer up any of my BTAC, but hopefully it's painful enough to put together those specific bottles that I can help raise more than the market price of those bottles.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

silvergoose posted:

Is That Good Or Bad

I enjoyed it. Big, peated Scotch is an acquired taste and preferences also vary quite a bit from person to person, but I'm a fan of this particular set of flavors.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

Yuns posted:

I'm trying to put together a raffle basket to donate for a nonprofit organization's raffle. My best bottles are all opened so among my unopened bottles I was thinking of putting together: Woodford Reserve Batch Proof 2019, Stagg Jr., Elijah Craig Barrel Proof C917 and a Knob Creek Single Barrel store pick that is 14+ years old. All my rare and allocated stuff is already opened so I can't offer up any of my BTAC, but hopefully it's painful enough to put together those specific bottles that I can help raise more than the market price of those bottles.

Hopefully there's someone who knows whiskey at the raffle! Those are all great "in the know" picks.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

obi_ant posted:

I can’t find a decent supply of EH Taylor aside from the small batch and single barrel. Are the rest of the line up supposedly hard to get?

Basically the whole lineup is tough to get in a lot of areas. Single barrel is definitely hard to find(I’ve seen it once in two years around here).

Even small batch is getting tough to find here. Anything more ‘special’ than the single barrel fetched a premium in secondary. Barrel proof, four grain, amaranth grain of the gods, are all more or less unicorns now.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!
Got pick number 48 at my local liquor shops lottery this year, needless to say I didn’t have a chance at any of the crazy rare stuff.

However, I was expecting really bottom of the barrel selections to be left, was surprised to find:

Weller CYPB
Michters 10
Mister Sam
and a few other neat ones left.

I took the CYPB at $50 and called it a day.

Vox Nihili
May 28, 2008

DoctaFun posted:

Got pick number 48 at my local liquor shops lottery this year, needless to say I didn’t have a chance at any of the crazy rare stuff.

However, I was expecting really bottom of the barrel selections to be left, was surprised to find:

Weller CYPB
Michters 10
Mister Sam
and a few other neat ones left.

I took the CYPB at $50 and called it a day.

CYPB is a good snag even if you don't have any particular interest in it due to its value on the secondary market ($250-$300 range). You can potentially trade that baby up for a Handy or something.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.

Vox Nihili posted:

CYPB is a good snag even if you don't have any particular interest in it due to its value on the secondary market ($250-$300 range). You can potentially trade that baby up for a Handy or something.
A friend sent me a sample of his CYPB and honestly I prefer the OWA quite a bit more and GTS and WLW a ton more. I would use CYPB as trade bait.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
I got myself a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel and it is way tastier than the 40$ i paid for it.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

SpookyLizard posted:

I got myself a bottle of 1792 Single Barrel and it is way tastier than the 40$ i paid for it.

Are you drinking it neat? I’m finding it’s too much alcohol burn for me, which is a bummer because it’s my preferred way to take whiskey.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo
New liquor store opened near me and prices seem all over the place. Snagged some Tallisker Storm for $40 but a lot of their stuff seemed to have arbitrary $20-40 markup, and not even difficult to find bottles. Was odd.

DoctaFun
Dec 12, 2005

Dammit Francis!

Yuns posted:

A friend sent me a sample of his CYPB and honestly I prefer the OWA quite a bit more and GTS and WLW a ton more. I would use CYPB as trade bait.

Agreed, I had a sample of it maybe 8 months ago and it was a pleasant wheater, but definitely doesn’t deserve the secondary markup.

I didn’t wait long and have a deal in place for $290 + a bottle of blantons.

I also walked into a shop today that has one of the better selections in my area. Nothing super exciting bourbon wise, they had some limited knob creeks, John j bowman, and one bottle of WT diamond anniversary.

BUT, they had Evan Williams single barrel on sale for $15!! Bought my dad one and one for myself.

May have to go back though as they had TWO bottles of A’bunadh batch 47 on the shelf. I already have a couple batch 47s as it’s my favorite whiskey to date, but it’s probably the last time I’ll find them as I think that was released in 2014.

They also had a longmorn 2002 Signatory Un-chill filtered, which I’ve sampled before and absolutely loved. Wish it wasn’t $95 :(.

That $290 from my CYPB may already be spoken for!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PRADA SLUT
Mar 14, 2006

Inexperienced,
heartless,
but even so
Does stainless steel impart weird flavors into scotch that pewter doesn’t, over multi-week flask storage? I can’t find consensus for flask materials