Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

food court bailiff posted:

Everyone in REmake 2 calls zombies “zombies” right off the bat instead of pretending they’ve never even heard of the concept.

I'm sorry what's a zombie?

Those are "walkers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I love that. At first, they're like, "What are these things?"

"Zombies, bitch!"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm loving that in Jedi Fallen Order when you take out an AT-ST the driver crawls out and starts shooting at you. Dude surprised the poo poo outta me.

Danaru
Jun 5, 2012

何 ??

TontoCorazon posted:

I'm loving that in Jedi Fallen Order when you take out an AT-ST the driver crawls out and starts shooting at you. Dude surprised the poo poo outta me.

The first time that happened I was like "haha oh man well you get to live then" because I thought he was going to run away, then I reflexively bounced his bolter back into his face when he shot at me and got really sad. You coulda just left man :saddowns:

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Pokemon Sword and Shield went through the trouble to make signage for all of the different businesses you cross paths with over the game.

You probably won't even notice that, but because this generation is all about a World Cup-style sporting take on the usual Pokemon setup, the credits end with a massive pile of those logos as in-universe sponsors.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 05:29 on Dec 26, 2019

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cleretic posted:

Pokemon Sword and Shield went through the trouble to make signage for all of the different businesses you cross paths with over the game.

You probably won't even notice that, but because this generation is all about a World Cup-style sporting take on the usual Pokemon setup, the credits end with a massive pile of those logos as in-universe sponsors.

I like that Leon's cape is just covered in corporate sponsor logos too.

Kitfox88
Aug 21, 2007

Anybody lose their glasses?
I don’t have a switch so I haven’t played em yet but I really hope that the gyms being an actual like real-life-esque sporting event with sponsors and stuff isn’t one of the things they just unceremoniously dump after this gen because everything I’ve seen about it owns

Screaming Idiot
Nov 26, 2007

JUST POSTING WHILE JERKIN' MY GHERKIN SITTIN' IN A PERKINS!

BEATS SELLING MERKINS.
CAN WE PLEASE HAVE JUST ONE loving UNIVERSE WHERE AD COMPANIES AREN'T JIZZING THEIR FILTH OVER EVERYTHING FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

CAN WE PLEASE HAVE JUST ONE loving UNIVERSE WHERE AD COMPANIES AREN'T JIZZING THEIR FILTH OVER EVERYTHING FOR THE LOVE OF CHRIST

calm down

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Kitfox88 posted:

I don’t have a switch so I haven’t played em yet but I really hope that the gyms being an actual like real-life-esque sporting event with sponsors and stuff isn’t one of the things they just unceremoniously dump after this gen because everything I’ve seen about it owns

I think it'd be a little weird to keep it being a big sports thing, it's specifically an angle that works because the region is not-England. It let them base it all really well on the British relationship with soccer, complete with a group of soccer hooligans. I feel like, unless they set the next generation around Canadians and hockey, or Australia and cricket or Australian rules football, it wouldn't work out quite as well.

But the notion of just going full-bore and skinning the classic Pokemon setup as something vibrant and interesting has some real potential. Make one that's a religious pilgrimage around not-Tibet, an Olympic-style revival of ancient traditions in not-Athens. Hell, go back to the crime-ridden Orre region from gen 3's spinoffs, make the entire League a shady as hell thing that's only done under cover of night.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler

Screaming Idiot posted:

I'm Commander Shepard, and this is my favorite store on the Citadel.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

i saw a pokemon sticker on a banana today and i agree with him

i think

i'm not quite sure what he's saying

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

Screaming Idiot posted:

post/username/avatar combo.

Crowetron
Apr 29, 2009

I got Judgement for the holidays, and given its made by the Yakuza devs, it does not disappoint in the little details. I love all the little snippets of dialogue you "overhear" while running around town. Stuff like one guy trying to figure out how to get out of drinking with his boss, or a dude casually informing his friends that his daughter hasn't spoken to him in years. My favorite was when I was just walking away from a brawl with some Yakuza wannabes, and this lady power-walked through the destruction saying "I'm gonna eat curry at home and NO ONE'S GONNA STOP ME!"

Olaf The Stout
Oct 16, 2009

FORUMS NO.1 SLEEPY DAWGS MEMESTER

Leal posted:

post/username/avatar combo.

Actually, I'm going with a broken clock is right twice a day on this one. Marketing is straight loving evil, and even if it's unavoidable in our current world, it's downright depressing to see it represented in a game like this and seeing other people get excited about it.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
They’re real companies? My initial thought was they were fake ones made up for the game

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

The Maestro posted:

They’re real companies? My initial thought was they were fake ones made up for the game

No theyre fake. Theyre saying that the idea of advertising in a game even in a wink-nod fashion is depressing.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
It should be noted, none of the in-game advertisements are highlighted, or even all that legible. They're just there because, in a sports setting you see logos on things.

Also, the actual non-League story of the game is a monopolizing businessman and the guy that's mainly sponsoring the League deciding to risk destroying the entire region just to corner the energy market. So it's not like the game's taking the side of wanton capitalism.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
If you let the concept of advertising wiggle so far into your brain that you can't enjoy a fictional sporting event with fictional sponsors, advertising won and you lost

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
I would like to acknowledge the effort put into the expanded follower dialogue mod for Skyrim, which has a bunch different personality types that modders can use for custom followers for voice acting. They don't just have dialogue with you but they make comments if you're sifting through corpses, idly muse on the area and even suggest you talk to certain people to start quests.

And then they told me that the arena was sponsored by Black-Briar meadery and I shouted my follower off high hrothgar to fight capitalism

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

A random room in luigi's mansion 3 has a meaningless record player you can spin by sucking at it with your vacuum, which plays a song, and if you spin it the other way by blowing air at it the song plays backwards

Pretty sure I could find a distinct little thing to post about every single room in the game, the attention to detail is so good

LIVE AMMO COSPLAY
Feb 3, 2006

The Stardew Valley 1.4 patch added a resolution/scaling option, so now if you play on your tv while zoomed in by ten or twenty percent it feels even more like a cool SNES game.

Riatsala
Nov 20, 2013

All Princesses are Tyrants

Tangled Tower is a whimsical murder mystery game in the style of the investigation sequences from Phoenix Wright. Despite having 10+ suspects to talk to and dozens of pieces of evidence, every single suspect can be asked about every other suspect and every piece of evidence and has a fully voiced response to each without repeating a single line. They'll even speculate about evidence they have nothing to do with. Also, it's the rare indie project where the voice acting ranges from fine to excellent.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!

Riatsala posted:

in the style of the investigation sequences from Phoenix Wright.

Speaking of Phoenix Wright, I've been playing Dual Destinies, the fifth Ace Attorney and the first one in full 3D. And I've been really liking just how faithfully they kept to the style, even using the exact same animations for recurring characters. It's really obvious with Phoenix, Apollo and the Judge, they really did remake their animations frame-by-frame.

Although a specific later one in the game's got some interesting quirks that show the difference. Klavier, the prosecutor from Apollo Justice, uses only his original animations, despite them having to remake all of them for 3D anyway. Most importantly, he doesn't have the transition animations they introduced for Dual Destinies, so he has the exact same 'jumpy' movement as everyone did in the first four games. Which somehow feels fitting.

EDIT: they also completely remake Phoenix's 'washed-up loser' outfit from Apollo Justice in 3D... for a flashback shot that lasts all of two seconds. I always love when you can tell someone's putting in the effort even when it's not needed like that.

Cleretic has a new favorite as of 17:00 on Dec 27, 2019

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Playing Bioshock 2 because I adore it and one detail I missed until playing it on PC (played on PS3 first on a tiny television) is Big Sister's metal basket thing on her back has a bunch of cute pink bows tied around it from the Little Sisters she carries around. :allears:

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I'll always love the secondary protagonist's battlecry at the endgame in Bioshock 2: THIS ONE DIED ALONE AND AFRAID! GET IN OUR WAY AND YOU'LL GET THE SAME!"

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe
I'm playing Rage 2 on XGP, and it's hitting the spot for a stupid, open world checkbox ticker. One thing I really like about it is that you automatically climb and slide down ladders once you press the activate button.

That and how the revolver is a one handed war crime. It fires flares into enemies that you then manually detonate.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I really liked Bioshock 2, but I think it was because I played it shortly after my daughter was born, so protecting the little sisters felt more important to me. Looking back on it, I'm not sure if I'd have that same thought now, since she's three years old now.

But I love it when games let you make that kind of connection, even if it's not intended at all. It's such a personal feeling that it's easy to explain to someone else, but they'll never get it the way you do; you've forged an experience that is colored by rose colored glasses, but of a different shade than regular nostalgia glasses.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

OutOfPrint posted:

I'm playing Rage 2 on XGP, and it's hitting the spot for a stupid, open world checkbox ticker. One thing I really like about it is that you automatically climb and slide down ladders once you press the activate button.

That and how the revolver is a one handed war crime. It fires flares into enemies that you then manually detonate.

I liked the advert for Rage 2 because it made it seem like it was making a point that the main character thought that the whole world was against him, and hoped that that was the theme, that the main character has trust/mental health issues that he needs to deal with or he's going to pick the wrong fight and get himself killed. Apparently the game doesn't do anything like that though, which is a shame because a game that deconstructed the whole "Everyone is out to get you!" nature of sandbox games could have been fun.

Fingerless Gloves
May 21, 2011

... aaand also go away and don't come back
Started playing West of Loathing and I seriously love the effort put into it.

The starting town has a quest to clear the basement of a tavern of a goblin, where you can get whiskey which will let you into to doctors house. No biggie, let's just finish up here and then go head to see what's the doctor up to. Kill the goblin, grab whiskey, talk to the barman, get reward, go to doctors house. One of collectables in there is a book that lets you speak to goblins. Whoops.

I've had the game switch my middle name twice because I've responded to NPCs with 'my middle name is x' remarks, which then get used to make a temporary Id badge in a town made of pain. I dont know if I'm making this up but the joke is that this id expires in 11 seconds, enough to go to the building next door and start talking but not complete your name. I repeated this about 5 times before just mashing through giving any answer, and on that time the game gave me the prompt to maybe look at another way to do things which locked my ID in that town to be a random mess of names instead of my own. It was perfectly annoying, I loved it.

Also the silly walk book is the best thing.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

Fingerless Gloves posted:

Started playing West of Loathing and I seriously love the effort put into it.

The starting town has a quest to clear the basement of a tavern of a goblin, where you can get whiskey which will let you into to doctors house. No biggie, let's just finish up here and then go head to see what's the doctor up to. Kill the goblin, grab whiskey, talk to the barman, get reward, go to doctors house. One of collectables in there is a book that lets you speak to goblins. Whoops.

I've had the game switch my middle name twice because I've responded to NPCs with 'my middle name is x' remarks, which then get used to make a temporary Id badge in a town made of pain. I dont know if I'm making this up but the joke is that this id expires in 11 seconds, enough to go to the building next door and start talking but not complete your name. I repeated this about 5 times before just mashing through giving any answer, and on that time the game gave me the prompt to maybe look at another way to do things which locked my ID in that town to be a random mess of names instead of my own. It was perfectly annoying, I loved it.

Also the silly walk book is the best thing.

It’s easily one of the funniest games I’ve ever played. It really nails that reference-heavy KoL humor, where yes, a lot of the jokes involve references to other media but the reference isn’t the joke.

OutOfPrint
Apr 9, 2009

Fun Shoe

BioEnchanted posted:

I liked the advert for Rage 2 because it made it seem like it was making a point that the main character thought that the whole world was against him, and hoped that that was the theme, that the main character has trust/mental health issues that he needs to deal with or he's going to pick the wrong fight and get himself killed. Apparently the game doesn't do anything like that though, which is a shame because a game that deconstructed the whole "Everyone is out to get you!" nature of sandbox games could have been fun.

It's not nearly that clever. It's a pretty bog standard Far Cry style game with some superpowers thrown in. It's a fun shut-your-brain-off-and-go shooter that gets in the way of its own fun at times, but within that genre, it's a solid 8/10. Not boring by any means, but not great. It's quality us what the average open world game should be but never quite reaches.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

What I'm trying to say is this: "I want a game to be that clever! PLEASE! Make Spec Ops: The Line but for Sandbox games"

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

OutOfPrint posted:

It's not nearly that clever. It's a pretty bog standard Far Cry style game with some superpowers thrown in. It's a fun shut-your-brain-off-and-go shooter that gets in the way of its own fun at times, but within that genre, it's a solid 8/10. Not boring by any means, but not great. It's quality us what the average open world game should be but never quite reaches.

I love how one of the upgrades is that if you empty a weapon and start reloading, you can switch to a different weapon and it'll be fully loaded. So if you time your switches properly you can just use the assault rifle and shotgun without ever having to wait for a reload. It's great being able to blast through an area with the only time-out being that there are no longer enemies within range to shoot at.

It's also interesting how Rage 1 was a game made by a developer known for FPS, but the open world was lackluster. And Rage 2 is made by a developer known for open world games, but the game barely has a main story to tie the whole thing together.

Mierenneuker has a new favorite as of 23:39 on Dec 28, 2019

Zinkraptor
Apr 24, 2012

BioEnchanted posted:

What I'm trying to say is this: "I want a game to be that clever! PLEASE! Make Spec Ops: The Line but for Sandbox games"

SO:TL is a game so thoroughly tied to its genre that it's tough to bring it to another unless you're talking in a very vague "we take the things you do in sandbox games for granted and they're kind of hosed up" sense - which could work better were it not for the fact that the Far Cry writers think they are way smarter then they are and keep trying to be subversive in their own clumsy way. Spec Ops had a huge advantage in that military shooters were all the exact same because everyone wanted to be CoD, which meant that there were a lot of very similar plot beats between them all and very little consideration to their ramifications.

Now, on a superficial level? Hell yeah. I would love a game that starts as a pretty traditional Far Cry/Rage style open-world thing but then slowly starts falling apart as it goes. Maybe take even it further until it gets to near horror-game levels. That'd be fun!

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
Carrying on with my theme of extremely little things in games, Dead in Vinland is probably the first game I've seen with assist options regarding the RNG directly, with a truly random option(default), one with enforced to avoid getting extremes in a row, and one enforcing 'average' results more often.

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012

Zinkraptor posted:

Now, on a superficial level? Hell yeah. I would love a game that starts as a pretty traditional Far Cry/Rage style open-world thing but then slowly starts falling apart as it goes. Maybe take even it further until it gets to near horror-game levels. That'd be fun!
I once had this idea for a GTA parody where the protagonist, who prides himself on not following anybody's rules, realizes that he's being railroaded into performing ridiculous tasks for people he barely tolerates, even when he decides whatever he's doing isn't worth their offers and tries to bail out.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Zinkraptor posted:

SO:TL is a game so thoroughly tied to its genre that it's tough to bring it to another unless you're talking in a very vague "we take the things you do in sandbox games for granted and they're kind of hosed up" sense - which could work better were it not for the fact that the Far Cry writers think they are way smarter then they are and keep trying to be subversive in their own clumsy way. Spec Ops had a huge advantage in that military shooters were all the exact same because everyone wanted to be CoD, which meant that there were a lot of very similar plot beats between them all and very little consideration to their ramifications.

The Far Cry 5 ending was a pretty clever twist at least

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
The newest Pokémon game has a lot of detail to it!

https://twitter.com/pokemonartfacts/status/1211056101661323265?s=21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

madeintaipei
Jul 13, 2012

Supersonic Shine posted:

I once had this idea for a GTA parody where the protagonist, who prides himself on not following anybody's rules, realizes that he's being railroaded into performing ridiculous tasks for people he barely tolerates, even when he decides whatever he's doing isn't worth their offers and tries to bail out.

GTA IV.