Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Angry Lobster posted:

King Shark is such a good boy :3:

Ron Funches is very loveable.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Title should be DC Universe thread: Harley Quinn: It's actually pretty good: No, really

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
King Shark has always been surprisingly likable.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

itry posted:

Title should be DC Universe thread: Harley Quinn: It's actually pretty good: No, really

seconded

maybe something about Venture Bros meets Batman: The Animated Series, I dunno

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

Wait a second...Sy Borgman is a cyborg man. I cracked the code!

Looking real forward to next week's return of Jim Gordon.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Also Harley's butt.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

muscles like this! posted:

Also Harley's butt.

At least this one probably only has 1 butt crack.

Norwegian Rudo
May 9, 2013

itry posted:

Ivy is real zen-like. A real inspiration.

She seemed awfully familiar with hooker rules though...

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Norwegian Rudo posted:

She seemed awfully familiar with hooker rules though...

plant ladies need love too

vseslav.botkin
Feb 18, 2007
Professor
This was least funny episode so far for me, but I didn't mind because I thought the look into Harley's mind was fun and interesting.

... it's been a weird year for media.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Hypocrisy posted:

Wait a second...Sy Borgman is a cyborg man. I cracked the code!

Looking real forward to next week's return of Jim Gordon.

eventually Syborg is going to come out of retirement to team up with harley and gently caress up a bunch of ruskies poo poo :patriot:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?
why is the show this good

like, I agree this was the least funny episode, but only because it has some stiff competition and I still really enjoyed it

this is the only version of clayface I want anymore

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

MonsterEnvy posted:

King Shark has always been surprisingly likable.

Only once Gail got a hold of him. In Superboy he was a mute monstrous killer. I think somebody got confused about King Shark and The Shark somewhere.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
Guessing King Shark wouldn't be enthusiastic about joining the Suicide Squad if he saw this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37onOwEH3Ek

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012
I like the sports-show energy of this series. You know, a bunch of weirdos, misfits, and screw-ups banding together towards a shared purpose and finding a new family that brings out the best in them. The Legion of Doom are basically the rear end in a top hat Sports Team they're out to beat. It's just that their shared purpose is terrorising the planet, and nobody in the show takes that at all seriously, so why should we? I think the reason I'm kind of hyped for a Harley/Ivy romance in S2 is because they might be daring enough to make it healthy and wholesome.

Sonderval
Sep 10, 2011
"Whats Jewish Lightning?"
"Perhaps Black Lightnings Israeli cousin?"

lol yikes.

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

Sonderval posted:

"Whats Jewish Lightning?"
"Perhaps Black Lightnings Israeli cousin?"

lol yikes.

Technically anti-Semitic, if going by that set of rules the British media was crowing on about while it was smearing Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour party. The crime-themed bar mitzvah was pretty terrible, too. I really, really hope the writers are actually Jewish, or else this is hosed up.

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"
It wouldn't surprise me if it was an ad-lib by Jason Alexander.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

LashLightning posted:

The crime-themed bar mitzvah was pretty terrible, too. I really, really hope the writers are actually Jewish, or else this is hosed up.

Apparently they are, saw it in a review.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

LashLightning posted:

Technically anti-Semitic, if going by that set of rules the British media was crowing on about while it was smearing Jeremy Corbyn and the Labour party. The crime-themed bar mitzvah was pretty terrible, too. I really, really hope the writers are actually Jewish, or else this is hosed up.

They are, yes. Halpern tweeted about it. It's basically a show about Jewish supervillains (yep, Harley's Jewish too) by Jewish writers.

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

Darth Walrus posted:

They are, yes. Halpern tweeted about it. It's basically a show about Jewish supervillains (yep, Harley's Jewish too) by Jewish writers.

I am trying so hard to make a plant pun based on goy and just completely whiffing

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Chokes McGee posted:

I am trying so hard to make a plant pun based on goy and just completely whiffing

you weak-rear end soygoy

Kaincypher
Apr 24, 2008

Darth Walrus posted:

i'm gonna be pissed if the next episode doesn't feature King Shark with a yarmulke.

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
I gotta say, given how The Penguin is generally portrayed, I do hope he ends up being a convert.

Space Fish
Oct 14, 2008

The original Big Tuna.

Grateful to this thread for continuing the Harley hype. The first episode turned me away hard, with flat swearing used as dialog and gags landing with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Second episode onward has been much smoother, thanks.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Space Fish posted:

Grateful to this thread for continuing the Harley hype. The first episode turned me away hard, with flat swearing used as dialog and gags landing with the subtlety of a sledgehammer. Second episode onward has been much smoother, thanks.

I'm glad is wasn't just me!

The first episode felt like a Daniel Way Deadpool issue. Everything since has leveled up pretty hard.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Rhyno posted:

The first episode felt like a Daniel Way Deadpool issue.

I get why people wouldn’t enjoy the first episode as much as others but drat this is just mean

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

The swearing in the first episode just seemed realistic to me. It was like "oh cool, they're talking like real people instead of characters constrained by the stupid rules of American television." Like, you can shoot someone in the face but you'd better not say anything ruder than "crap" or "rear end". It's not like I hate it now that they've cut the swearing down, but it was one of the details that I immediately liked about the show.

And I actually thought the second episode was the weakest. I was a little bit worried that the first episode was going to be the high point of the season, but it did pick back up in episode three.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Tiggum posted:

The swearing in the first episode just seemed realistic to me. It was like "oh cool, they're talking like real people instead of characters constrained by the stupid rules of American television." Like, you can shoot someone in the face but you'd better not say anything ruder than "crap" or "rear end". It's not like I hate it now that they've cut the swearing down, but it was one of the details that I immediately liked about the show.

And I actually thought the second episode was the weakest. I was a little bit worried that the first episode was going to be the high point of the season, but it did pick back up in episode three.

The thing that stuck out to me was everyone was yelling through the first episode. But i got over it pretty quick becasue it was loving funny

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

The show keeps dancing around the line for me. I tend to laugh at stuff like "I can be around people now. I hate it, but I can do it without vomiting." and then skip ahead if it gets too much.

That's on me though, not the show. It's just where my line is

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It was always gonna be tendentious showing children's characters (and I guess that's what they are to a lot of people, no shame about it) doing things that are violently adult.

By which I mean, not violence per se, since Tom And Jerry is about as violent as they come, and kids can be violent little fuckers when they want to be.

It's something similar to what Doctor Who went through in the 90's. A kids tv character was suddenly in stories involving semen and gorey radiation poisoning and slapstick sociopathy and swearing, and it was jarring. So I totally get why people would find it difficult and upsetting, even though I'm largely indifferent to that kind of thing myself. Also Batman wasn't a part of my childhood, so that probably helps.

Also, for the record, the second episode was IMO the weakest. Or the third, the one with the Bat Mitzva. The King Shark one owned though, and is currently my high point. Recent one is a close second tho.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Open Source Idiom posted:

It was always gonna be tendentious showing children's characters (and I guess that's what they are to a lot of people, no shame about it) doing things that are violently adult.

By which I mean, not violence per se, since Tom And Jerry is about as violent as they come, and kids can be violent little fuckers when they want to be.

It's something similar to what Doctor Who went through in the 90's. A kids tv character was suddenly in stories involving semen and gorey radiation poisoning and slapstick sociopathy and swearing, and it was jarring. So I totally get why people would find it difficult and upsetting, even though I'm largely indifferent to that kind of thing myself. Also Batman wasn't a part of my childhood, so that probably helps.

Also, for the record, the second episode was IMO the weakest. Or the third, the one with the Bat Mitzva. The King Shark one owned though, and is currently my high point. Recent one is a close second tho.

The Joker has been a card carrying homicidal maniac for decades. Tom and Jerry? get the gently caress outta here. Joker murders people on just about every page he's been on for over 20 years.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

The Joker has been a card carrying homicidal maniac for decades. Tom and Jerry? get the gently caress outta here. Joker murders people on just about every page he's been on for over 20 years.

Yeah exactly, but he doesn't (usually?) say "gently caress" when he does it. (Or does he? I dunno, I'm no expert like I said.)

Sometimes I feel like the platonic form superheroes are just an endless parade of cartoons from the 90's and comics from... I dunno, before the grim era of comics. And I'm just not there for that man, it doesn't seem very relatable or believable, and it's not my form of comfort food either.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Yeah exactly, but he doesn't (usually?) say "gently caress" when he does it. (Or does he? I dunno, I'm no expert like I said.)

Sometimes I feel like the platonic form superheroes are just an endless parade of cartoons from the 90's and comics from... I dunno, before the grim era of comics. And I'm just not there for that man, it doesn't seem very relatable or believable, and it's not my form of comfort food either.

Language has nothing to do with what you said. I'm sure if DC thought for one second they could make a million dollars more every month without a chistians moms against comic books campaign, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

Language has nothing to do with what you said. I'm sure if DC thought for one second they could make a million dollars more every month without a chistians moms against comic books campaign, they'd do it in a heartbeat.

Again, absolutely.

Except for the part where language has nothing to do with what I said, because I did mention it, and since the conversation is already largely about language I didn't feel like it needed to be particularly emphasised? But I do mention swearing and such.

I don't see the part where we're arguing against each other tbh. I feel like you're disagreeing with me, but everything you say is both stuff I believe and is either complementary with what I've talked about or exactly what I'm talking about. I'm really confused.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Again, absolutely.

Except for the part where language has nothing to do with what I said, because I did mention it, and since the conversation is already largely about language I didn't feel like it needed to be particularly emphasised? But I do mention swearing and such.

I don't see the part where we're arguing against each other tbh. I feel like you're disagreeing with me, but everything you say is both stuff I believe and is either complementary with what I've talked about or exactly what I'm talking about. I'm really confused.

I didn't see you mention swearing, i thought we were on the violence train. You said they were childrens characters doing things that are violently adult, but the comics show the same poo poo minus the language for most of the premier books. But you can find such langauge in other comics. They are all rated from teen up to mature.

You seem to be downplaying the adult themes in the comics everyone buys and i'm not sure why.

the new Joker/harley book has multilated corpses and swearing in it, btw.

Rocksicles fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jan 1, 2020

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

It's something similar to what Doctor Who went through in the 90's. A kids tv character was suddenly in stories involving semen and gorey radiation poisoning and slapstick sociopathy and swearing, and it was jarring.

drat that tv movie must have been WILD

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Rocksicles posted:

I didn't see you mention swearing, i thought we were on the violence train. You said they were childrens characters doing things that are violently adult, but the comics show the same poo poo minus the language for most of the premier books. But you can find such langauge in other comics. They are all rated from teen up to mature.

You seem to be downplaying the adult themes in the comics everyone buys and i'm not sure why.

the new Joker/harley book has multilated corpses and swearing in it, btw.

When I said "violently adult" I meant it more in the sense of "aggressively adult" and not in the sense of adult only appropriate violence. I see how that wasn't the best way of phrasing things.

For whatever reason, violence isn't seen as being particularly in need of a watershed, hence my point about Tom and Jerry.

I guess I'm tying to work out why it is that swearing, specifically, is what pushes this over the line and not the violence or whatever.

Escobarbarian posted:

drat that tv movie must have been WILD

The books were more my era. And they're canon to the show (as much as anything in Who is canon, they're at the very least referenced) so they're all part of the great Doctor Who diaspora now, for better or for worse.

Did you know that RTD once wrote a novel where a giant tower of severed heads, powered by an extra terrestrial strain of cocaine, attempts to conquer Britain?

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

When I said "violently adult" I meant it more in the sense of "aggressively adult" and not in the sense of adult only appropriate violence. I see how that wasn't the best way of phrasing things.

For whatever reason, violence isn't seen as being particularly in need of a watershed, hence my point about Tom and Jerry.

I guess I'm tying to work out why it is that swearing, specifically, is what pushes this over the line and not the violence or whatever.

The books were more my era. And they're canon to the show (as much as anything in Who is canon, they're at the very least referenced) so they're all part of the great Doctor Who diaspora now, for better or for worse.

Did you know that RTD once wrote a novel where a giant tower of severed heads, powered by an extra terrestrial strain of cocaine, attempts to conquer Britain?

It's the swearing that brings the realism that people want, poeple talk a certain way, you can either do it right, do it wrong or not do it at all. Violence is a visual act in shows, and we have all seen it a billion times. But swearing is an art, you gotta have the right words for the right accent, the right era, the right mood, the right humour. Taking the choice to use it out of advertisers hands for shows like this is awesome. Doom Patrol really nailed the language baseline for DC shows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Escobarbarian posted:

I get why people wouldn’t enjoy the first episode as much as others but drat this is just mean

I will die on this hill