Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
anime
.hack//Sign
.hack//Legend of the Twilight
.hack//Roots
View Results

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

Nissin Cup Nudist posted:

Any good isekais where a dude is isekai'd as a woman? There's the yakuza one upthread thats cool

I suppose I'll take bad isekais if needed

There’s Way of the House Husband if by becomes a woman you mean MC assumes the traditional female gender role, and by isekai you mean the MC gains a new life in the same world. So uhh not really in line. But it does have a Yakuza, and it is extremely good!

https://mangadex.org/title/23569

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huzzah!
Sep 15, 2007

Malnutrition is scarier than any beastie.
new Idiot Karate Guy
Of course he would want to punch a plane

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010

Any good isekais where a dude is isekai'd as a woman? There's the yakuza one upthread thats cool

The Reincarnated Vampire Wants an Afternoon Nap is mostly fun, except for the one random chapter where another vampire tries to sexually assault the protagonist. maybe the later source material gets bad, idk tho.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It
Sleepy Vampire is one of the bad ones, but as you might guess from the title it's mostly from being incredibly boring, so not as bad as many isekai tend to get

Jackard fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Dec 22, 2019

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Everything Burrito posted:

Man I've got to catch up on that, it's been updating a bunch recently. The cast is so huge and everyone has their alternate self on top of that I never remember who is who when I come back to it after a long gap, so I've been thinking about giving it a re-read. It's really good though -- tbh I didn't even think about it being appropriate for this thread but it's actually perfect.

For those not familiar it's sort of backwards to the usual setup because it follows a bunch of modern day kids who start remembering past lives in a fantasy world, and there's a mystery plot that slowly gets revealed in flashbacks to the past world plus a continuation of the war they were engaged in in the modern time as the old loyalties and conflicts get revived as their memories come back. One of the neat things it does is some of the characters including the MC are reborn in different genders from their previous lives and it addresses this in how the relationships between their modern selves and their past selves conflict and evolve.

Yeah this manga is pretty cool. It actually very vaguely reminds me of 7 Seeds in the sense of being a shoujo/josei manga with a heavier plot focus than a romance one.

Speaking of which, 7 Seeds is something that could also be considered kinda-isekai (it involves people who are taken into the very distant future*). 7 Seeds is extremely good and has an absolutely huge cast full of interesting people.

* not sure if this is actually a spoiler, I forget if this information is revealed at the very beginning

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Red River is another shoujo that folks who like isekai might check out. I haven't read it so I don't have an opinion either way but here's a review that gives some general descriptions of what it's about & etc.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
While we're importing shoujo thread content I'm going to throw a couple others in as well:

Silver Diamond - A boy who has an unusually powerful green thumb gets a visit from a strange man with a gun grown from a plant; poo poo happens and they travel to another world where the boy was originally from in order to save it. The other world is dying and turning into a desert, and the MC's plant-growing powers are the key to bringing it back to life. This one has some really unique worldbuilding with a lot of the powers being based around plants or other natural elements like rocks or animals (for example one guy has a snake that turns into a sword). It's BL but extremely soft, definitely more of an adventure story than a romance. Fair warning, scans of this are a mixed bag because it's an old series so reading it is kind of like unearthing a time capsule of scanlation but they do eventually get better.

And it's late and I don't feel like retyping this so here's a link to a big post I made about Genwaku no Kodou which is another one that uses the reincarnation setup with modern-day characters awakening to memories of their past selves, although in this one a bunch of dudes from the alternate world also eventually show up. This one is deeply weird so if you want a change of pace from the usual titty-harem power fantasy you might check it out.

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 07:33 on Dec 22, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
New Ultimate Middle-Aged Hunter

This one has gone in an interesting direction since rather than traveling to one new world and staying there or going back and forth between the one the elf girl is from they're going to be visiting a bunch of different ones to kill a boss then come back. It's very video-game-y but the whole manga is practically Monster Hunter fanfic as it is so whatever :v: Would almost bet money he's going to pick up some sort of cat buddy on one of these quests lol

Everything Burrito fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Dec 23, 2019

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I've been following that, so far it's fun. The first chapter could be called 'Monster Hunter protagonist falls into D&D world'

Bremen
Jul 20, 2006

Our God..... is an awesome God
So, I've got a question for people who have read a lot of (translated) LN/WNs. How does the writing not drive you insane? Actually, are there any recommendations of decent isekai with actual good translations, since maybe I've just found bad ones?

I don't know if it's because the sentence structure doesn't translate well, or if all the translators are just running things through google translate and then making a half-assed editing pass and calling it good, but every internet* translation I've ever read was absolutely horrible. Even the ones that seem like an actual human being translated them are full of stilted sentences and what I suspect are untranslated puns. Which is the pity since sometimes I just want to read a lighthearted litrpg story or whatever, and the overarching concepts are often kind of interesting.

*The only professional translation I ever read was picking up the first volume of reincarnated as a vending machine off of Amazon out of curiosity, and it seemed to have perfectly decent writing, but maybe they had an actual author re-write it in English.

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
I have read a lot of very poorly written fiction, so it's part just having low standards, and part reading more for the plot than the prose.

Bakanogami
Dec 31, 2004

Grimey Drawer
There are good web translations out there, but they're definitely a minority. There are an awful lot of groups out there who just run poo poo through google translate and don't even bother to do an editing pass, especially for text-heavy stuff like novel translations.

There's also the problem that sometimes the original japanese text isn't written very well, especially if the translation is going off the original WN instead of a LN version that may have had a professional editor look at it. There are a lot of series that are just endless lines of dialogue without any narration building the scene, or authors who will throw in tons of onomatopoeia.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

In a further parallel of sorts to 7 Seeds, Bokura no Kiseki does the thing where the cast increases as it progresses and things become more complex (if anyone reads 7 Seeds, I would at least keep at it until the second group is introduced - it has a slow start).

My speculation as of chapter 13 is that Zeze is that one half-brother of the prince who was rumored to be romantically involved with Veronica. The scanlaters mentioned something about there being a direct clue to Zeze's identity in one chapter, but I couldn't find anything - this is just a gut feeling. I also have no idea who was behind the attack on the castle. The most obviously suspicious person is the second-in-command church guy with the short hair (Carlo I think?), but recent events are making me think that isn't the case (though I still think he knows more about what happened than the other characters). But there must be someone who has already been introduced who was responsible for betraying Zerestria, just for dramatic impact (and someone might be lying about who they are). I'm also genuinely baffled as to what Takao's motivation for protecting Harusumi/Veronica is, since it's apparently neither 1. Harusumi being Veronica or 2. her having feelings for Harusumi. Her character is kind of confusing to me.

Very neat manga.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

LibrarianCroaker posted:

I have read a lot of very poorly written fiction, so it's part just having low standards, and part reading more for the plot than the prose.

Mostly this. I remember the official translation of "Reincarnated as a Slime" not being that bad, it read as YA. But most fan-translations are serviceable at best and deep into YMMV territory.

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Bremen posted:

So, I've got a question for people who have read a lot of (translated) LN/WNs. How does the writing not drive you insane? Actually, are there any recommendations of decent isekai with actual good translations, since maybe I've just found bad ones?

I don't know if it's because the sentence structure doesn't translate well, or if all the translators are just running things through google translate and then making a half-assed editing pass and calling it good, but every internet* translation I've ever read was absolutely horrible. Even the ones that seem like an actual human being translated them are full of stilted sentences and what I suspect are untranslated puns. Which is the pity since sometimes I just want to read a lighthearted litrpg story or whatever, and the overarching concepts are often kind of interesting.

*The only professional translation I ever read was picking up the first volume of reincarnated as a vending machine off of Amazon out of curiosity, and it seemed to have perfectly decent writing, but maybe they had an actual author re-write it in English.
I grew up reading "professional" German translations of fantasy books. They are just as bad and stilted in their own way.

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018
https://yenpress.com/9781975301200/that-time-i-got-reincarnated-as-a-slime-vol-7-light-novel/

New novel comes out Christmas Eve.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Dec 23, 2019

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's a thing I read a chapter of that seemed interesting:
The Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier

grounded slice of life in a fantasy world

I only read the first chapter so I don't have any real strong opinions or impressions of it but it might be one to check out.

golden bubble
Jun 3, 2011

yospos

From the end of chapter notes, the author clearly knows more about actual medieval history than almost all other fantasy authors. The fourth chapter is all about how hunting rights and poaching laws were serious sources of inequality in the real middle ages, so of course it would be even more corrupt in the fantasy middle ages. While the second chapter is technically about a hero's party, it's more about the experiences for a camp follower in a medieval expeditionary army.

golden bubble fucked around with this message at 21:12 on Dec 23, 2019

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Everything Burrito posted:

Here's a thing I read a chapter of that seemed interesting:
The Dragon, the Hero, and the Courier

grounded slice of life in a fantasy world

I only read the first chapter so I don't have any real strong opinions or impressions of it but it might be one to check out.

I read all four available chapters and liked it a lot. It was both humorous and educational!

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Bokura no Kiseki - It was neat finding out that the reason why Takao has been kind of standoff-ish while continuing to protect Harusumi is that she is waiting for the other shoe to drop and him to still be in love with whoever Glen reincarnated as. It's totally understandable for her to feel this way, especially because the "Veronica" aspect of Harusumi's personality obviously still exists and is being actively suppressed. So her motive actually *is* that she loves Harusumi, but she doesn't want to encourage that because she thinks it'll just make things worse for him once Glen enters the picture.

The series' whole take on the past lives thing is also pretty interesting. Usually this sort of thing has some wish fulfillment aspect where the person is still "mainly" their present self (who just discovered that they're special and have cool powers, or whatever), but in this everyone is "truly" both their past and present selves, with neither really having dominance. There's no aspect of "whoa awesome I have magic" because of course there isn't - after regaining their memories their past lives are "normal" to them (and they've lived in their present lives so long that that also feels normal). The only exception of sorts is motivated mostly by the contrast between his previous life and being an antisocial nerd in his Japanese life (so he's happy when he remembers that he used to have a position of some power) (Yanuma).

(I feel goofy commenting on a series other people aren't really talking about, but hopefully it convinces someone to read it - it's the sort of thing that feels kinda mediocre at the very beginning but becomes much better later)

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think they need to get some perspective. magic seems immensely powerful to them, but it's not to the degree that it really matters in a world with billions of guns. even the pillar of light isn't really all that amazing. it was effectively the sole existing wmd in that world, but on earth we have lots of wmds. what's more, they can't actually propagate magic due to all of the weird lineage requirements. it's all very small scale, but they are all so heavily influenced by their past lives' mindsets (and being teenagers) that it seems like the most important event in history.

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm glad more folks are reading it. I'd have more to say but it's been at least a year since I read any of it so I'm in the situation of the material not being that fresh in my mind and also having already read pretty deep into it before I took a break on it and this is not a story I'd want to inadvertently spoil

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

I always have to re-read chunks of it to figure out the cast before catching up

Good to hear others are interested, it seemed a bit niche and think I was reading pre-mangadex, so no comments section

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

gimme the GOD drat candy posted:

i think they need to get some perspective. magic seems immensely powerful to them, but it's not to the degree that it really matters in a world with billions of guns. even the pillar of light isn't really all that amazing. it was effectively the sole existing wmd in that world, but on earth we have lots of wmds. what's more, they can't actually propagate magic due to all of the weird lineage requirements. it's all very small scale, but they are all so heavily influenced by their past lives' mindsets (and being teenagers) that it seems like the most important event in history.

It's not just that they're influenced by their past lives - they never became older than teenagers in either world and most of these people never even saw any sort of serious action even in their previous lives.

edit: The magic is also pretty strong even if it's nothing that would threaten the real world status quo; Yanuma could basically hit as hard as cannon fire, and that was without using fresh blood (which supposedly boosts things a ton). I'm not expecting magic to ever get that fleshed out though (if anything I'm kinda surprised at the extent to which it's been an actual factor; I was expecting it to never be more than an extremely vague "ability to shoot a magic laser").

Ytlaya fucked around with this message at 23:47 on Dec 25, 2019

LibrarianCroaker
Mar 30, 2010
The Wolf Won't Sleep updated

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost
The Faraway Paladin finally achieved its title.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
New chapter of Bokura no Kiseki out.

Man, poor Yamada. Those are some pretty awful memories to have to deal with. :smith:

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

lol

Very good chapter of both it and paladin

The Elf and the Hunter's Item Atelier finally got another chapter :toot:

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
New Dragon, Hero, and Courier

https://mangadex.org/chapter/774058

UnfurledSails
Sep 1, 2011

https://twitter.com/Crunchyroll/status/1210795099581403136?s=20

I get that titles of this stuff can get a bit overly descriptive, but they should at least be coherent? Did they just run it through Google Translate?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/kepstin/status/1210797342711930881

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
Dividing into a single thing doesn't even make sense, to say nothing of "a painful one isn't liked".

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
It's especially hilarious because the official trailer has the english title as "BOFURI: I Don’t Want to Get Hurt, so I’ll Max Out My Defense" which is much clearer.

E: Haha I didn't read the response! :downs:

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015
...Divvied to vit?

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

This one just got serialized but it's about a 60yo office worker being reincarnated into the body of a stereotypical Otome villainess and failing spectacularly
It's done by the mangaka for a Zoids series and I have to say for a guy who was just messing around on Twitter this is some good stuff.

Huzzah! posted:

new Idiot Karate Guy
Of course he would want to punch a plane
This is president !Putin all over again.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

Brought To You By posted:

This one just got serialized but it's about a 60yo office worker being reincarnated into the body of a stereotypical Otome villainess and failing spectacularly
It's done by the mangaka for a Zoids series and I have to say for a guy who was just messing around on Twitter this is some good stuff.

:dance:

ElBrak
Aug 24, 2004

"Muerte, buen compinche. Muerte."

Brought To You By posted:

This is president !Putin all over again.

That turned out to be a nice manga in my opinion. it started as just Putin look-alike in another world who wants to ride everything. But it started to do interesting things with the world and the main character's backstory. But it never loving updates.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

ElBrak posted:

That turned out to be a nice manga in my opinion. it started as just Putin look-alike in another world who wants to ride everything. But it started to do interesting things with the world and the main character's backstory. But it never loving updates.

It was dropped because it got officially picked up by Sol Press. First volume has been out for months.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

khy
Aug 15, 2005

A new chapter of Isekai Tensei Soudouki has dropped!

I love this series so much because all the characters are fun and interesting. The author does a good job of making almost all characters interesting, and the sadist maid is no exception.

khy fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Dec 30, 2019