Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
is there a bsg thread where we can talk about the expanse

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Horizon Burning posted:

lmao 'they re-used cgi, frauds!' oh goons

Ok I guess re-using the same cgi over and over is a good thing and the creators had no problem doing it?

Also I think the hoodies in this season look kind of dumb but I also want one. They look warm.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Mu Zeta posted:

Ok I guess re-using the same cgi over and over is a good thing and the creators had no problem doing it?

Shows have limited budgets. Re-using ship establishing shots is a method TV shows use to preserve their budget. I haven't noticed The Expanse doing so, but it doesn't have as much pew pew effects stuff and CGI is cheaper to do now.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!

Phi230 posted:

They need to handle future seasons more slowly rather than the breakneck pace of seasons 3 and 4.
I'm actually glad for the pace of season 4, because the written form, while more explicit, was really blah.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

You maniacs! You blew it up! God damn you! God damn you all to hell!!

Horizon Burning posted:

BSG was a fine product of its time, but Goons have to act as if they never ever liked it lmao

I liked it, and still like most of it, but the last season or whatever you want to call the half season was pretty much poo poo and I thought so a long time before I saw the Expanse.

Of course, the last book isn't even out so it's not out of the realm of possibility that it all falls to poo poo at the end, we'll see.

quote:

They need to handle future seasons more slowly rather than the breakneck pace of seasons 3 and 4.

For what happens in season 4, I can't imagine it going much more slowly and still being interesting, though I've not read the book. They already threw in a lot of pointless scenes (to this season's plot, anyway) having to do with Avasarala's election and her quarreling with the Arjun/Cotyar hybrid. Though I like Avasarala, it really felt like window dressing. What's going on with Bobbie is a little more connected if you read between the lines at all, but it really doesn't feel that way. I haven't read the books past the first and the first couple novellas, but it felt like Bobbie's plot was put there so we wouldn't forget about her and the actress would have work on the show this season. I understand how it connects to the larger plot, but I feel like more could be done to make it that way without just connecting the dots after Inaros's villain monologue.

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 03:24 on Dec 30, 2019

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
I totally messed up what I meant by saying "God is real is a twist"; i didn't mean that in a they were on earth all along! kind of twist, but in that the show was sold on being a Sci-fi war story with serious politics and such, but actually its more about faith.

Was Bobbi's story in the book? I've always gotten the impression that she was a fairly secondary characters and didn't get full plotlines, just was there with the rest of the characters when they do things.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

twistedmentat posted:

Was Bobbi's story in the book? I've always gotten the impression that she was a fairly secondary characters and didn't get full plotlines, just was there with the rest of the characters when they do things.

She is a primary character in Caliban's War and has cameos in Abbadon's Gate and Cibola Burn. Her storyline this season is loosely based on one of the novellas.

Edit: the cameos bookend Cibola Burn

Toast Museum fucked around with this message at 05:18 on Dec 30, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

twistedmentat posted:

I totally messed up what I meant by saying "God is real is a twist"; i didn't mean that in a they were on earth all along! kind of twist, but in that the show was sold on being a Sci-fi war story with serious politics and such, but actually its more about faith.

Fair enough.

twistedmentat posted:

Bobbi's story is a combo if the novella Gods of Risk and some new stuff for TV. She's barely in books 3 and 4 at all.

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef
To give a broad sense of how the early books differ in focus from the show, the POV characters for the first four books are:

• Leviathan Wakes: Julie (prologue), Holden, Miller, Fred Johnson (epilogue)
  • Caliban's War: Mae (prologue), Holden, Bobbie, Avasarala, Prax
  • Abbadon's Gate: Maneo (prologue), Holden, Bull (Behemoth 2nd officer, not in show), Clarissa, Anna
  • Cibola Burn: Bobbie (prologue), Holden, Basia (Katoa's dad, replaced by Lucia in the show), Elvi, Havelock (now RCE security; related storyline cut from show), The Investigator (interludes)

Nothing I'd call a spoiler for the show, but slightly spoilery if you want to read the books and go in as cold as possible.

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
Also worth mentioning regarding book stuff: characters cut from the book are generally reworked into existing ones, like bull and michio pa. some great show characters are barely in the books at all, like drummer.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Ah I understand now. I really should read the books, just bite the bullet and pay for the large format paperbacks.

squirrelzipper
Nov 2, 2011

I just watched 4 seasons of this show in about 3 weeks and holy poo poo it’s so good. I read the books and there’s so many good things to watch I didn’t bother with a SyFy adaptation but my bad, this show is amazing, although I do like the Amazon takeover episodes better. Great loving stuff. Some minor complaints mostly around casting and actors - Chrisjen for instance I find forced and grating - but those problems aren’t important the shows awesome, season 4 is a great interpretation and man I watched so many episodes in such short time I’m worried that I’ll use belt patois in a conversation.

Aoi
Sep 12, 2017

Perpetually a Pain.
Huh, Katoa's dad had that role in book 4/would be season 4? I know he only got one scene in season 2, but that could have actually been really interesting for him to be in that position in season 4, particularly given that they hunted down and murdered his son in season 3. Lots of stuff to work with there.

I like Lucia, so it's fine that he wasn't, but...could also have been good, y'know?

Anonymous Zebra
Oct 21, 2005
Blending in like it ain't no thang

EimiYoshikawa posted:

Huh, Katoa's dad had that role in book 4/would be season 4? I know he only got one scene in season 2, but that could have actually been really interesting for him to be in that position in season 4, particularly given that they hunted down and murdered his son in season 3. Lots of stuff to work with there.

I like Lucia, so it's fine that he wasn't, but...could also have been good, y'know?

In the books Katoa is the dead child they find in the lab on Ganymede and shortly thereafter incinerate. The chief tension of his father's plot in Book 4 is that he is wracked by guilt that he never went looking for Katoa like how Prax went looking for his daughter and that because of this his son died where he perhaps might not have. There's a lot more to his character in the book, but most of that made it into Season 4 with his stand-in Lucia. All of the interludes showing the experimentation on Io were added in by the show-runners, which really worked for the adaptation, and thus they made the hybrid be Katoa to make the hybrid fight have more impact.

On that note, one of the huge differences between the first two books and the TV adaptation is how nonexistent Jules Pierre Mao is in the books. The man is mentioned a grand total of twice in Book 1, with the second time being Miller saying, "Hey kid, Julie's dad sent her a message to get out of The Belt before the Cant ever exploded...you might want to look into that." right before he cuts his radio and goes to meet Proto-Julie. In book 2, he also only makes three appearances, and I don't believe is ever on Io himself. It was kind of funny reading those books after watching the seasons because basically his entire character is a result of the show-runners fleshing him out.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

OK thread, you did it. I've started reading Nemesis Games. Should be shitposting in the spoiler thread some time around February.

The final book better come out at some point. I can't have another GRRM situation on my hands :argh:

Toast Museum
Dec 3, 2005

30% Iron Chef

GABA ghoul posted:

The final book better come out at some point. I can't have another GRRM situation on my hands :argh:

Short of the authors both dying, I don't think you've got much to worry about. They've got a pretty solid track record for hitting deadlines.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Horizon Burning posted:

"All of this has happened before, and all of it will happen again."

lol

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
After binging all 4 seasons in a couple weeks, I moved on to Lost in Space and yikes, its awful.

I really wish they would release episodes weekly. Binging really kills show momentum and discussion and now I have to wait a year for S5.

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Everyone posted:

I'm looking forward to 2029 when many of the same people praising The Expanse now will making GBS threads on it by comparison with whatever the new Sy-Fy flavor is.

If they make a scifi show that is as much of an improvement over The Expanse as The Expanse is over BSG I'll be erect for days.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

TommyGun85 posted:

After binging all 4 seasons in a couple weeks, I moved on to Lost in Space and yikes, its awful.

I really wish they would release episodes weekly. Binging really kills show momentum and discussion and now I have to wait a year for S5.

Wait. Which is awful?

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

gohmak posted:

Wait. Which is awful?

Lost in Space

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

twistedmentat posted:

Having read the first book, in the show she features at least somewhat in the Phoebe conflict. Not so in the books, she's not even mentioned at that point.

Which is an issue/solution the writers acknowledge, you can't always just keep bringing new characters aboard in a show necessarily. Same as the fact Drummer is an amalgam of several characters in the books (individually, they barely warrant comment, but together, her role is significant). I would guess at least some of the major characters who have died in the book series will make it to the last season for similar reasons.

quote:

If they make a scifi show that is as much of an improvement over The Expanse as The Expanse is over BSG I'll be erect for days.

Same, especially if you replace BSG with Firefly. For years I wanted more Firefly and now I couldn't give less of a gently caress. Jane is an absolute joke of a character compared to Amos, same with Wash to Alex and Kaylee/Zoe (take your pick) to Naomi. Holden on the other hand....

Nail Rat fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Dec 30, 2019

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Imo Holden was way better this season, still the most boring of the Roci crew but I didnt hate him

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Toast Museum posted:

Short of the authors both dying, I don't think you've got much to worry about. They've got a pretty solid track record for hitting deadlines.

Yeah, I'm expecting the last book to take a bit longer than usual but there's a good chance it'll be out in 2020. I won't be surprised if it's 2021, would be shocked if it were 2022.

Nail Rat
Dec 29, 2000

GABA ghoul posted:

OK thread, you did it. I've started reading Nemesis Games. Should be shitposting in the spoiler thread some time around February.

Book 8 of 9 came out this year and the only year since the first book that they didn't publish a book was 2018. The longest wait was 17 months and that was before book 6. I don't think there's anything to worry about here.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

The irony of the GRRM worry, considering one of the authors was GRRM's personal assistant who left to start writing these books is hilarious.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

I am curious what were the outlandish tactics that fans used to save the show?

SpookyLizard
Feb 17, 2009
they were putting people into airlocks to teach them that air is good and so is the expanse.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Sekenr posted:

I am curious what were the outlandish tactics that fans used to save the show?

Probably the craziest one was someone sent a model of the Roci into space? (don't remember if it passed the Karman line) with a high altitude balloon and a camera attached.

There were also planes with SAVE THE EXPANSE banners flying in circles around Amazon HQ.

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
Lol if you think that the show was saved for any reason other than that a billionaire wanted it

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Tighclops posted:

Lol if you think that the show was saved for any reason other than that a billionaire wanted it

I mean I guess reverting to neo-feudalism has some perks.

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Haha, so Benzos saved the show? I guess if you consider him one of the fans, being a billionaire is kind of a tactic too.

Captain Splendid
Jan 7, 2009

Qu'en pense Caffarelli?
This game is going super cheap on Steam at the moment if you want yourself some realistic space combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSoVbwyrxDk

OB_Juan
Nov 24, 2004

Not every day is a good day.

Dinosaur Gum

TommyGun85 posted:

Lost in Space

I binged the first season when it came out, and I binged the second. I have no idea why. I like all of three characters, only one of which is human.

Apparatchik Magnet
Sep 25, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/andylevy/status/1211182228832735238

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Jack2142 posted:

The irony of the GRRM worry, considering one of the authors was GRRM's personal assistant who left to start writing these books is hilarious.

Did they publish the entire series before GRRM managed to get out a single book?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

Orange Devil posted:

Did they publish the entire series before GRRM managed to get out a single book?

Leviathan Wakes released a month before the last game of thrones book.

Phi230
Feb 2, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

Orange Devil posted:

The entire Expanse Franchise: 8 Novels, 7 Novellas, 4 seasons of TV, a roleplaying game, a board game and its expansion, a comic series, and two miniature rocinante's have all been released since GRRM's last book

Johnny Truant
Jul 22, 2008

Phi230 posted:

and two miniature rocinante's

:discourse:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gfarrell80
Aug 31, 2006

Captain Splendid posted:

This game is going super cheap on Steam at the moment if you want yourself some realistic space combat

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSoVbwyrxDk

I loved this game. Super fun.