Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keystoned
Jan 27, 2012

stevewm posted:

It is Home Assistant. The GUI of which is incredibly customizable.

I actually meant what thermometer is that, although I didnt realize it and the ss were both custom built. Still cool though!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The Ancients showed they can ascend anyone they want at any time though. They ascended everyone on Abydos.

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

Rhyno posted:

The Ancients showed they can ascend anyone they want at any time though. They ascended everyone on Abydos.

:yeah:

TheWevel
Apr 14, 2002
Send Help; Trapped in Stupid Factory

Rhyno posted:

Can I integrate this with Siri

Cornjob
Jun 12, 2007

NOT AN ACTOR

I have wyze cams, and sensors all over my house. Integrated with alexa for alarms and alerts. Works great, I love them

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Same here, I feel I get pretty good value with the Wyze Cams, especially the Pan Cam.

So far their firmware updates have been constant, they're introducing new products, they're engaging their customers and being friendly to the hobbyist base, and no one's exposed any huge exploits in their IOT system.

Also, $40 for a 1080p pannable camera with night vision, speaker, motion detection aint bad at all. Would have to cough up $180+ for the nearest equivalent, probably an Arlo.

Maybe about the only thing they need to work on is that motion detection.. they recently announced that they lost their AI vendor for the motion detection and are working on their own; getting a little annoyed at having to tell them 'Yes, I saw some rear end in a top hat' every time I view a vid in the cloud, but I'll put up with it if I get decent motion detection.

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 18:07 on Dec 25, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

What's the current state of using a wyze cam without using any of their cloud stuff? I'd like to just use them as cheap IP cams.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

What's the current state of using a wyze cam without using any of their cloud stuff? I'd like to just use them as cheap IP cams.

https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

I haven't updated mine in a while so maybe it's fixed, but with this firmware mine won't go in to night mode. I'm fine with that - it's just sitting in my garage.

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Thermopyle posted:

It's a little annoying to do but I was able to use the dafang hacks firmware to turn the one I have into a basic IP cam. The only caveat is that they say it won't work if you update your firmware and I guess it's possible that new ones will include updated firmware and disable this hack. Mine is from about a year ago:
https://github.com/EliasKotlyar/Xiaomi-Dafang-Hacks

The Dafang hacks topic about it does mention that wyze is working on a RTSP beta firmware of their own, but I haven't tried it:
https://support.wyzecam.com/hc/en-us/articles/360026245231-Wyze-Cam-RTSP

Anyway if you choose to give it a shot the worst part was formatting an SD card as FAT with a primary partition of 512MB or less to get the demo.bin firmware to load in. You only have to do it once, though, and after that it will attempt to boot from sd card if available instead of the internal storage, letting you run the dafang hacks firmware. I paid $20 for the camera and it works great for the price, so I'm pretty happy with it overall even if it's a little clunky to do. I wish I knew if the new ones were easy to hack for certain, though.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

I got a couple Ring outdoor cameras for my dad for Christmas (he asked for them) and I dearly hope this was not a terrible purchasing decision.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer
I mean, I guess it depends on how you feel about the police potentially having access to the cameras, or at the very least knowing they exist.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
So what's the best external camera system option that doesn't give access to the police?

I'm also still shopping for a smart garage door opener module that I can add to my existing unit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rhyno posted:

So what's the best external camera system option that doesn't give access to the police?

I'm also still shopping for a smart garage door opener module that I can add to my existing unit.

Well we don't know for sure about anything that uploads to the cloud.

I'm comfortable with the privacy of Nest cams. They've arguably got the best UI for their apps. Arlo is probably fine.

Any of them are going to respond to a subpoena.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone knows a sane way to integrate OpenHab with Alexa?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Our condo came with a common alarm system installed (Safewatch Pro 3000, same as a Vista 20p).

Last night it started rapidly beeping in the middle of the night, waking us up. No lights flashing. It's always disarmed. It had the same event messages in the queue as always (check a window, check a sliding door, comm failure, fire trouble 18).

An odd thing is, when it was rapidly beeping last night all it took was one button press to shut it up. No passcode.

A week prior, it did the same thing, albiet during the day instead of the night. Other info: No police visit, but we stopped paying the police bill years ago. About a month ago I unplugged and removed the power line adapter (that lets the house voltage line communicate to the router) if that matters. No known power outage, though it's possible, and I don't know about the backup batteries. I don't know how to get into its programming and never have.

Any idea how to stop our alarm from randomly waking us up at night?

Happy Thread
Jul 10, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
Plaster Town Cop
Oh and

https://twitter.com/fs0c131y/status/1208009855149248512

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
My mom didn't listen to me (was going to buy/install Abode stuff for her at about $500 + $25/month) and instead had ADT come out and charge her $2,399 to install about $500 worth of wireless gear, including their ADT branded Ring doorbell and also she gets to pay $59.99 per month for 2 years on contract for service.

I need to check on the wireless repeater they installed for sure as well but I'm not sure if I can toss it on its own wifi network without messing up everything connected to it.

:smith:

Keyser_Soze fucked around with this message at 00:46 on Dec 30, 2019

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Keyser_Soze posted:

My mom didn't listen to me (was going to buy/install Abode stuff for her at about $500 + $25/month) and instead had ADT come out and charge her $2,399 to install about $500 worth of wireless gear, including their ADT branded Ring doorbell and also she gets to pay $59.99 per month for 2 years on contract for service.

I need to check on the wireless repeater they installed for sure as well but I'm not sure if I can toss it on its own wifi network without messing up everything connected to it.

:smith:

If they're anything like ADT in the UK you should check out the cancellation fees in the contract.

We moved into a new house and a salesman came to the door to try and sell the system to us, minimum 3 year contract with several hundred Pound fees to cancel early. I told them to get f*cked and have been warning all my neighbours to read the contract carefully.

Slash fucked around with this message at 10:59 on Dec 30, 2019

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
Getting into this smart home stuff. I’ve got a bunch of wifi plugs (reflashed to Tasmota) and 2 wemos H&T sensors, next on the list is to change my blynk meat smoker temp monitor to esphome - all going into home assistant.
I’d like to do the light switches but there’s no solution that is just a drop in replacement that leaves them looking the same but with remote control.
The selling point for me is it all works without a cloud service of any kind, I won’t have Alexa or the like - it’s a shame the only offline voice assistant system got bought up recently by sonoff.

What are my options for HA compatible sensors for doors, windows etc? The Wyze stuff posted a while back are well priced but look like they need cloud access, is there a well supported 433mhz option? There’s also a traditional hardwire alarm system, is it worth trying to integrate that into HA? Arming on a timer with additional conditions through HA would be pretty good. E.g. If no presence detected for x time then arm

I’m also playing with ble for presence detection with moderate sucess using esp32 as receivers and keybob sized beacons on carkeys.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 22:03 on Dec 30, 2019

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I’d like to do the light switches but there’s no solution that is just a drop in replacement that leaves them looking the same but with remote control.

What kind of light switches do you have?

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Getting into this smart home stuff. I’ve got a bunch of wifi plugs (reflashed to Tasmota) and 2 wemos H&T sensors, next on the list is to change my blynk meat smoker temp monitor to esphome - all going into home assistant.

ZWave? There are toggle switches/dimmers if you’re married to the toggle look, but a new faceplate for decora style rockers is easy, especially if you’re already replacing the switch.

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009
UK switches and ones that aren’t double have more than one switch per room.

There was nearly a row when I put Tuya plugs on the lamps in the lounge, so replacing the rocker switches with glowing blue touch pads isn’t going to do.

I’ve impulse purchased some Shelly 2.5s to see if they fit, I’m not optimistic though

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Rapulum_Dei posted:

There was nearly a row when I put Tuya plugs on the lamps in the lounge, so replacing the rocker switches with glowing blue touch pads isn’t going to do.

I’ve impulse purchased some Shelly 2.5s to see if they fit, I’m not optimistic though

Fibaro makes zwave in-box micro dimmer/switches. I haven't used them, so I can't recommend them one way or the other, but they exist.

Something like this: https://www.uk-automation.co.uk/z-wave-dimmer-2-module-by-fibaro/

azurite
Jul 25, 2010

Strange, isn't it?!

I use a Qubino only to measure temperature, but it also has relays intended to work with up to 240V.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
I saw a bit of robovac in here earlier via search, so I thought I'd ask.

I got a 675 for a Christmas Gift, and with a Labrador, two DSH and one DMH in the house I run the drat thing EVERY DAY and am absolutely in love with it. However, I do need to keep it away from the dog water and mat (as the Labrador of course slops water EVERYWHERE). Anyone have any reviews of the third-party Virtual Wall/Halo modules? iRobot wants $60 for one :shepspends: Is this like an Apple thing where you absolutely MUST HAVE the Apple charger or whatever, or will I be just as pleased to spend half the money on the third-party module?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week
A year ago I got a TP-link kasa smart light bulb. I liked it, it did what I wanted (one lightbulb I could remote-control with my phone). I put it on my network and blocked it off so it had only local access. It worked.

I liked enough that I also grabbed one of their outlet switch boxes, and one for my mom to replace her ancient manual light timers.

In the past 2-3 months their app, the bulb, or something has gone to poo poo.

#1 They started requiring an account / login to use the app. As recently as october it worked without signing into an account, because that's when I was visiting my mom and set up the outlet as a smart timer for her. She didn't want to make an account, I was like the only reason I made one was for google assistant integration, she said she didn't want to use that, I said don't bother with an account then. Worked fine.

#2 it recently has became unresponsive as poo poo. Poking the home screen widgits to turn the light on & off or a preset brightness, half the time it doesn't work or takes several seconds to respond. Nothing in my network has changed but it sucks now.

So my review for kasa stuff has changed from "cheap, simple, good enough, 4/5" to "one star stay away".

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rapulum_Dei posted:

I've put Shellys behind all of the light switches in my house (UK also). I did have to install some spacers on the more crowded backboxes to make enough space though. This is the closest i found to a "drop-in" replacement which still leaves the physical switches.

Once you've got the Shelly installed change the Switch Mode to "Edge", that way the physical switch will always work no matter what state the lights are in. Also set them to MQTT control, this disables the Cloud stuff and lets you hook them up to Home Assistant. You can re-flash them with tasmota but i didn't bother as the stock firmware works fine for me.

Another tip is to set them to Static IP address, this resolved an issue i had where two of them would drop off the wifi network after a few weeks.

e: You can install the Shellys at the other end of the connection (i.e. by the light) if that works better for your wiring. Also don't forget that you need a neutral wire for the Shelly 2.5

Slash fucked around with this message at 12:37 on Dec 31, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone knows why trying to control TRADfri bulbs from Ikea via Zigbee, without using Ikea's own hub, tends to be that delayed? I tried to tie some friends ones into his setup after migrating from that terrible IOBroker to OpenHAB, and they take their sweet time to react to commands. Up to 2 minutes. I can find references to that sort of problem on the Internet just fine, but no solution yet. They did react swiftly in IOBroker, tho.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Dec 31, 2019

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

Combat Pretzel posted:

Anyone knows why trying to control TRADfri bulbs from Ikea via Zigbee, without using Ikea's own hub, tends to be that delayed? I tried to tie some friends ones into his setup after migrating from that terrible IOBroker to OpenHAB, and they take their sweet time to react to commands. Up to 2 minutes. I can find references to that sort of problem on the Internet just fine, but no solution yet. They did react swiftly in IOBroker, tho.

I'm using OpenHAB now with Ikea lights, but using a Hue Bridge instead. I'm not having any lag that way. (I'm probably moving to Home Assistant however, now that I have a Pi.)

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

Slash posted:

I've put Shellys behind all of the light switches in my house (UK also). I did have to install some spacers on the more crowded backboxes to make enough space though. This is the closest i found to a "drop-in" replacement which still leaves the physical switches.

Once you've got the Shelly installed change the Switch Mode to "Edge", that way the physical switch will always work no matter what state the lights are in. Also set them to MQTT control, this disables the Cloud stuff and lets you hook them up to Home Assistant. You can re-flash them with tasmota but i didn't bother as the stock firmware works fine for me.

Another tip is to set them to Static IP address, this resolved an issue i had where two of them would drop off the wifi network after a few weeks.

e: You can install the Shellys at the other end of the connection (i.e. by the light) if that works better for your wiring. Also don't forget that you need a neutral wire for the Shelly 2.5

Is that particular to 2.5s, I can’t remember if there’s a neutral in the switch, I’ve a horrible feeling they’re all live lines?
The main ones I want to change are the switches for the hall and outside lights so I have them come on when it gets dark. But as you’d expect the switch boxes are in solid walls.

I think I’ll also pick up one of these to see if it can work with HA https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-900-series-13a-2-gang-sp-smart-socket-white/827gv#product_additional_details_container . Some reviews mention they worth with smart life so maybe the wireless Tuya flasher will work. Cheap enough if it doesn’t.

Rapulum_Dei fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Dec 31, 2019

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I have 230V three phase open delta(?) here, no neutral. Any reason that Shelly thing wouldn't work? Virtually any other appliance doesn't care whether it's 230V live to neutral or 230V between two phases. So I just wire it up "normally"?

aeiou
Jul 12, 2006

It's cold in here...
Just kidding! It's to
fool enemies..

Combat Pretzel posted:

I'm using Home Assistant's built in component with a HUSBZB-1 radio and having no issues with my Tradfri lights. I don't know how OpenHAB works, but if they worked swiftly with IOBroker than I'd expect is an issue with OpenHAB and not the lights. I don't use it, but Zigbee2Mqtt https://www.zigbee2mqtt.io/ is a pretty well supported program. Maybe try setting that up and see if it works around your delay issue?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The issue is mostly having some semblance of ease of use. That's given more with OpenHAB, since most things are doable via UI, not so much with Home Assistant (which I personally use, together with zigbee2mqtt). Otherwise I would have installed that. Considering how much time I've spent on it, I'm probably better off going with HA finally, since I seem to end up maintaining it for some reason.

It's probably OpenHAB being dumb as hell. A good example would be the Xiaomi motion sensors. For some reason OpenHAB only parses the ON commands, never the OFF that are sent. So I have to automate the reset on a delay in e.g. Node-RED, whereas with zigbee2mqtt, everything works fine out of the box. Device discovery the same, when I bind one of those Xiaomi things, OpenHAB takes like up to 10 minutes to discover the features, with zigbee2mqtt, it works quasi instantly. I guess I'm answering my own question.

--edit:
What's also pissing me off is this Alexa poo poo. I don't use it, but my friend does. Interesting situation. There's an Alexa skill for OpenHAB, which relies on myopenhab.org as relay. Except they've disabled a lot of functionality this summer (too much server load) and essentially broke device discovery. loving awesome. Everyone else relies on emulating a Hue bridge. What in the hell. And that is also flakey. I did it via some Node-RED nodes, worked perfectly for a few hours. Still does, but now Alexa keeps complaining about something having gone wrong, while Node-RED keeps executing the actions just fine. Ugh.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 19:30 on Dec 31, 2019

Gerdalti
May 24, 2003

SPOON!
Have we talked about the Wyze breach?
https://blog.12security.com/wyze/
Ouch

Rapulum_Dei
Sep 7, 2009

quote:

Alexa Tokens for 24,000 users who have connected Alexa devices to their Wyze camera

😱 Tokens are how you access someone’s account bypassing their password, pin, 2 factor authentication etc. It’s why you should never use Your Facebook or google account to log in to any 3rd party site or service.

It’s funny, the trope is it’s governments who tell people ‘if you have nothing to hide or have nothing to fear’. But really it’s Apple and google and amazon - they put it in their terms and conditions for everyone to see and consumers are like ‘gently caress it, free stuff’

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I just got a 2 pack of logitech circle cameras to connect to homekit, they’re pretty slick. I wasn’t going to touch nest, ring or wyze with a 10 foot pole though.

Even still, the cameras will only be looking outside and not in the house!

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
I was going to grab the 5 pack of Blink cameras for outdoor monitoring but it seems they are terrible?

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
I also just grabbed a wired Logitech Circle 2 camera and window mount from the Apple store (who seems to be the only place that has them in stock) and installed it facing my front door. It's working fine via their Logi app on browser, iphone, ipad and the Person Detection and alert has worked each time I walked by it so that might actually be worth the $99/year to keep running.

However, in order to get it to connect as an accessory to the Apple HomeKit I had to turn on the "intranet access" on the guest wifi network. :colbert:

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Keyser_Soze posted:

I also just grabbed a wired Logitech Circle 2 camera and window mount from the Apple store (who seems to be the only place that has them in stock) and installed it facing my front door. It's working fine via their Logi app on browser, iphone, ipad and the Person Detection and alert has worked each time I walked by it so that might actually be worth the $99/year to keep running.

However, in order to get it to connect as an accessory to the Apple HomeKit I had to turn on the "intranet access" on the guest wifi network. :colbert:

It’s also compatible with the apple secure video thing which has some backup if you have a storage plan (it doesn’t count against the storage) but I don’t think it has the person detection etc. Also would lose browser access I bet. So I’m sticking with the logi circle thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slash
Apr 7, 2011

Rapulum_Dei posted:

Is that particular to 2.5s, I can’t remember if there’s a neutral in the switch, I’ve a horrible feeling they’re all live lines?
The main ones I want to change are the switches for the hall and outside lights so I have them come on when it gets dark. But as you’d expect the switch boxes are in solid walls.

I think I’ll also pick up one of these to see if it can work with HA https://www.screwfix.com/p/british-general-900-series-13a-2-gang-sp-smart-socket-white/827gv#product_additional_details_container . Some reviews mention they worth with smart life so maybe the wireless Tuya flasher will work. Cheap enough if it doesn’t.

Both the Shelly 1 and 2.5 require neutral. I think the new dimmer version doesn't though.

If you don't have neutrals inside your wall switches then you can instead wire the Shelly inside the ceiling crown or in the ceiling instead.