Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

Jazz Marimba posted:

my main gripe with the stock keyboard rn is that it suddenly stopped referencing my Swear Contact and I have to manually type out profanities again :argh:

I thought that was happening!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LODGE NORTH
Jul 30, 2007

I don't know which screen size or iOS update changed it, but I definitely type an "n" instead of a space or a period when in Safari something. For example, what used to be a simple easy search of "how to buy drugs" now shows up as "howntonbuyndrugs" and on Safari it'd be "how.to.buy.drugs" which is arguably worse because then Safari things .drugs is a TLD and doesn't load anything at all. I absolutely hate it. I remember jailbreaking maybe 4 phones ago solely to get a tweak that removed this.

Froist
Jun 6, 2004

LODGE NORTH posted:

I don't know which screen size or iOS update changed it, but I definitely type an "n" instead of a space or a period when in Safari something. For example, what used to be a simple easy search of "how to buy drugs" now shows up as "howntonbuyndrugs" and on Safari it'd be "how.to.buy.drugs" which is arguably worse because then Safari things .drugs is a TLD and doesn't load anything at all. I absolutely hate it. I remember jailbreaking maybe 4 phones ago solely to get a tweak that removed this.

I do this a lot too. It’s because the URL keyboard (which the Safari address/search bar uses) adds a period key that encroaches slightly on where the space key usually extends to. So if your muscle memory is to hit the right-hand end of the space key, you end up with a period instead.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Fortunately safari is smart enough to parse periods as spaces if there are other spaces in the string. Or maybe it's the search engine doing it, but either way it seems to work.

Krispy Wafer
Jul 26, 2002

I shouted out "Free the exposed 67"
But they stood on my hair and told me I was fat

Grimey Drawer

Froist posted:

I do this a lot too. It’s because the URL keyboard (which the Safari address/search bar uses) adds a period key that encroaches slightly on where the space key usually extends to. So if your muscle memory is to hit the right-hand end of the space key, you end up with a period instead.

So that's why I'm always hitting the drat period.

I keep trying to force myself down and to the left about 1mm and I keep failing at it.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

FCKGW posted:

I had a bunch of problems with SMB on the VLC iOS app. Infuse has worked great so far.

Can infuse save a path to a SMB share? I'm downloading the free version right now to check out.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
I am constantly typing a c instead of a spare and an o instead of a p. This has happened basically ever since the iPhone 7.

EC
Jul 10, 2001

The Legend

EC posted:

Can infuse save a path to a SMB share? I'm downloading the free version right now to check out.

Yes it can! Which is good.

Will it play a file from there without paying? Nope.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
I’m looking for a simple app to log food/calories. Having a built in database of food doesn’t matter and I don’t need it to do anything other than logging things into Health.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down

Boris Galerkin posted:

I’m looking for a simple app to log food/calories. Having a built in database of food doesn’t matter and I don’t need it to do anything other than logging things into Health.

Can’t beat myfitnesspal for this.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Any iOS apps that will let me access my PC’s wake-on-lan features? Doesn’t have to be over the internet, I just want to be able to turn it on from the other room.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

iNet can do WOL.

(it can also do a lot of other fun stuff such as scan the LAN for devices+open ports)

Snowy
Oct 6, 2010

A man whose blood
Is very snow-broth;
One who never feels
The wanton stings and
Motions of the sense

LODGE NORTH posted:

Holy poo poo I thought I was just getting old and sloppy

charsiu
Mar 10, 2012

Rolo posted:

Any iOS apps that will let me access my PC’s wake-on-lan features? Doesn’t have to be over the internet, I just want to be able to turn it on from the other room.

Not WOL and requires software to be installed on your PC, but I use Unified Remote. It can wake but also do a whole bunch of other things.

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
After a lot of googling I ended up with an app called EasyWOL. It was $1.99 and is extremely barebones but it has:

watchOS support
Cloud sync between devices
A widget that instantly sends the signal when I tap on it

It’s exactly what I was looking for. Now I can boot without having to walk over to the box.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
The company that makes the Down Dog yoga app just released 3 new apps that they said are free if you download them in January. They are:

- a 7 minuten workout app
- a HIIT app
- a “ballet inspired” workout app

Not sure what the catch is but I really enjoy their yoga app and the subscription for that has been worth it (get it for 50% off every Black Friday).

If those links don’t work for you just search for “down dog” and view their other apps.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

The company that makes the Down Dog yoga app just released 3 new apps that they said are free if you download them in January. They are:

- a 7 minuten workout app
- a HIIT app
- a “ballet inspired” workout app

Not sure what the catch is but I really enjoy their yoga app and the subscription for that has been worth it (get it for 50% off every Black Friday).

If those links don’t work for you just search for “down dog” and view their other apps.
How have you found their yoga stuff to be? Any time I want to try other yoga videos I always end up back to the same DDP Yoga routine I always do because everything else seems to end up at the spirutuality side of things which I find to be a major turn-off.

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

Down Dog has no spiritual nonsense at all. There’s nothing about finding yourself or breathing in through your feet. Each workout is basically just that: a workout.

You can choose from five voices as you like, the length, whether you wanna target say specifically your upper back and so on, and also how verbose you want the instructions. At one end of that they will tell you when to breathe in and out and how to do the poses and generally encourage you, and at the other end they will just say eg “extended side angle” and leave you to it.

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla

Boris Galerkin posted:

Down Dog has no spiritual nonsense at all. There’s nothing about finding yourself or breathing in through your feet. Each workout is basically just that: a workout.

You can choose from five voices as you like, the length, whether you wanna target say specifically your upper back and so on, and also how verbose you want the instructions. At one end of that they will tell you when to breathe in and out and how to do the poses and generally encourage you, and at the other end they will just say eg “extended side angle” and leave you to it.
Awesome thanks - that sounds like exactly what I need! Downloaded all those other apps plus the free demo version of Down Dog to check it out.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Hi,
It’s 2020 and I still don’t have dark mode for Gmail or WhatsApp.

Shameful.

Montalvo
Sep 3, 2007

Fun Shoe
Spark has dark mode and it's a great e-mail app!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Montalvo posted:

Spark has dark mode and it's a great e-mail app!

Note that Spark has been targeted by privacy enthusiasts in the past, but in my research it doesn't do anything privacy-wise that other email clients like Outlook don't.

That said, I still trust Microsoft over some third party and Outlook also has dark mode.

maduin
Mar 4, 2003
Spark is cool and all, but I’m not routing my email through Russia so that I can get dark mode and see pretty inbox zero pictures.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

maduin posted:

Spark is cool and all, but I’m not routing my email through Russia so that I can get dark mode and see pretty inbox zero pictures.

They’re Ukrainian.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Gmail has dark mode, but they are rolling it out in batches so if you don't have it yet then google obviously hates you.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Weedle posted:

They’re Ukrainian.

So it’s run by Russians on vacation then?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

withak posted:

Gmail has dark mode, but they are rolling it out in batches so if you don't have it yet then google obviously hates you.

Which makes 0 loving sense.

Some people have had it for months are they like not sure it works or something?

It’s incredibly irritating.

Also WhatsApp has no excuse either.

Neurophonic
May 2, 2009
Does anyone have a recommendation for a remote mouse/keyboard app? I want to control a Windows machine from the couch, but flexibility to control Macs too would be nice.

I’ve googled and of course Remote Mouse comes out top but there’s a fair few horror stories in the reviews of double cursors, no tech support. I’m cool with throwing a few bucks at the problem.

tuyop
Sep 15, 2006

Every second that we're not growing BASIL is a second wasted

Fun Shoe

Neurophonic posted:

Does anyone have a recommendation for a remote mouse/keyboard app? I want to control a Windows machine from the couch, but flexibility to control Macs too would be nice.

I’ve googled and of course Remote Mouse comes out top but there’s a fair few horror stories in the reviews of double cursors, no tech support. I’m cool with throwing a few bucks at the problem.

I’ve been using mouse pro for years. It has premium options for Bluetooth and I think WOL and stuff, but I paid $1 for it back in the 3GS days and just use it over Wifi. Works pretty much perfectly.

helsabot
Apr 25, 2005
This is the worst vacation ever.
Are there any rotoscoping apps that can take a video and let you go frame by frame and trace over whatever you want, leaving behind a (probably crappy) animated line drawing? I used to do this by shooting on miniDV and then importing into...something and then exporting into a filmstrip format which i imported into photoshop but jesus christ that was 15 years ago so there must be an easier way now

Weedle
May 31, 2006

This looks pretty full-featured and says it lets you “import video for rotoscoping”:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/roughanimator-animation-app/id954718244

Question Mark Mound
Jun 14, 2006

Tokyo Crystal Mew
Dancing Godzilla
After trying the free version of Down Dog for a bit I'm really liking it but I'm never a fan of subscriptions if I can avoid them since they seem to be piling up across basically everything these days. Anyone know of a one-off purchase option, or if there's a similar app that will generate short yoga routunes that can be bought outright?

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

Weedle posted:

This looks pretty full-featured and says it lets you “import video for rotoscoping”:

https://apps.apple.com/us/app/roughanimator-animation-app/id954718244

Yeah seconding this. Rough Animator is more or less the best animation app on the iPad.
Pretty much a cinch to import a video layer and roto it.

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008
Does anyone know if there's a notetaking app for ipad + apple pencil that allows for infinite horizontal and vertical scrolling at the same time?

XBenedict
May 23, 2006

YOUR LIPS SAY 0, BUT YOUR EYES SAY 1.

The Belgian posted:

Does anyone know if there's a notetaking app for ipad + apple pencil that allows for infinite horizontal and vertical scrolling at the same time?

I haven’t used it in a while, but doesn’t OneNote do this?

The Belgian
Oct 28, 2008

XBenedict posted:

I haven’t used it in a while, but doesn’t OneNote do this?

So it does, thanks!

Red_Fred
Oct 21, 2010

Fallen Rib
Can anyone explain why Chrome doesn’t take you to the page when you click a search result? You get this bar at the top which has a pop up for the actual link but the URL stays as a google.com one until you click the actual URL in the pop up.

Hopefully that makes sense to someone.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

Red_Fred posted:

Can anyone explain why Chrome doesn’t take you to the page when you click a search result? You get this bar at the top which has a pop up for the actual link but the URL stays as a google.com one until you click the actual URL in the pop up.

Hopefully that makes sense to someone.

Guessing it is google AMP?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Accelerated_Mobile_Pages

(Amp sucks)

virinvictus
Nov 10, 2014
Amp is why I switched to DuckDuckGo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

virinvictus posted:

Amp is why I switched to DuckDuckGo

Every time I try to switch, I always end up having to add a “!g” to most of my search terms so I just end up switching back to Google. Every few months I think it’ll be different though but it never is.