Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vietnom nom nom
Oct 24, 2000
Forum Veteran
I doubt really any of this is astroturfing. The FTC has been clear on this, and Google has enough issues with anti-trust right now (obviously individual employees might be posting).

If there's one thing the various console wars have taught me over the years, it's that there's an endless supply of idiots who will identify with a consumer product and defend it to the death. No astroturfing needed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

limaCAT
Dec 22, 2007

il pistone e male
Slippery Tilde

Vietnom nom nom posted:

I doubt really any of this is astroturfing. The FTC has been clear on this, and Google has enough issues with anti-trust right now (obviously individual employees might be posting).

If there's one thing the various console wars have taught me over the years, it's that there's an endless supply of idiots who will identify with a consumer product and defend it to the death. No astroturfing needed.

I agree with the idea that there are endless idiots but I don't think anyone in the console gaming field would be above the paid shilling.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
They aren't, but it's also true that people on the internet can be weirdly confrontational and partisan when it comes to video games.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

Vietnom nom nom posted:

It helps to prime the pump for this kind of stuff. You get the ball rolling by artificially making it seem like there's a persecuted audience in support of something, thus convincing other people to hop on that train until suddenly people are vehemently defending your company and your product for no pay because they've invested part of their identity in it.

The sheer number of "i'm an old dude with no time to play video games(but enough to post about them on reddit) and a family i hate but stadia saved my life!" posts feels to me like someone trying to make a jumping off point for a narrative.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

quote:

uh, have you tried it? Its not perfect by any means, but its better than my 4 year old pc and feels like a technological marvel.

and if you feel the posts are inorganic and fake, i expect that's a reflection of your expectations, not reality

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

quote:

I'm sorry, but the gaming industry seems pretty convinced cloud gaming is the future, whether Stadia succeeds or not. If Stadia is successful, companies that bought in become major winners and companies that ignored it fall way behind. Developing for Stadia is a minor cost compared to the risk/benefits on offer.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

This product is exactly in line with my expectations based on the advertising as I read it prior to clicking purchase. That includes their embellishments and me being able to see through it to what was real opposed to what was hyped.

If anyone spent $130 that they didn't have that's their fault as a consumer, no one put a gun in their mouth and told them to buy this thing.

It's almost like people have never seen marketing before and don't know how to make intelligent choices as consumers. I couldn't be happier with my stadia experience; and that's because I defined it, I didn't let Google define it for me.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

quote:

I don’t understand all the hate for stadia. They are building the future. The service we have now will be improved on daily and the features promised will come over time.

If you have paid for the founders or premier pack and played on the ccu then you understand how good this can be. You knew this was basically a beta and should accept the limits in place. If you have been giving a “free” pass and played on a laptop/tablet etc. Then your not getting the full experience and this is where I feel a lot of the “it doesn’t work” or “it’s bad” comments are coming from. You got something for free and are expecting too much on day 1.

Not once has the service failed me and has worked flawlessly whether I’ve been playing football manager on the Macbook or destiny and red dead on the big screen. And that’s the point of stadia, it’s my library of games that I can access and play anywhere, at any time.

Yes the ui and features need work, but this is google we’re talking about. Of course it’s going to be improved on daily.

Developers will get to grips with stadia and the 4K 60fps will be the standard. Google have provided the platform, and the power is there. the developers will do the rest with time.

Look back at the PS4 or Xbox one launch titles. Stadia had just as good if not better launch titles.

Come next Xmas and the next gen consoles are been released with the same games you can access on stadia. Why would you spend money on a new console to just play Fifa 21 and the new COD in your living room. It’s only a matter of time before stadia is a release day platform.

Rome was not built in a day but was great when it was. Stop the hate and back the future.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

It’s just so insanely inauthentic

Like there’s nothing about playing on Stadia that will “feel like a technical marvel.” At its very best it’s precisely the same play experience you get with a console.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Time is only gonna pass you by

Fallom posted:

Like there’s nothing about playing on Stadia that will “feel like a technical marvel.”

I disagree, it's pretty neat I can play on my laptop or hop on my Chromecast and play Stadia. I feel similarly about my Switch.

It's really a neat service even if the subreddit is a comedy goldmine.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

What about playing Destiny 2 on Stadia feels different from playing Destiny 2 on any other platform or screen?

I understand the enabling technology is exciting, but the actual play experience is stock standard (at best).

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Fallom posted:

What about playing Destiny 2 on Stadia feels different from playing Destiny 2 on any other platform or screen?

I understand the enabling technology is exciting, but the actual play experience is stock standard (at best).
Playing Destiny 2 on Stadia could be better than playing it on PC because there are no hackers in PvP, but that's also the case for consoles too and they have actual player bases.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Fallom posted:

The gameplay itself is as you described, at best like a PC/console.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Gobbeldygook posted:

Playing Destiny 2 on Stadia could be better than playing it on PC because there are no hackers in PvP, but that's also the case for consoles too and they have actual player bases.

This is good and bad - I wouldn't want to get a game like Skyrim on Stadia because modding that game is half the fun. Probably my biggest complaint about Stadia besides not having a proper sleep mode.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

There is absolutely nothing that's local to your machine (besides the launcher) right? You can't even get your own save files or modify setting/configuration files beyond what's actually given to you in the game menu options right? You're completely at the mercy that Google won't cancel your account (see how many people lost their Google fi because their Google wallet got banned/closed or something) and the developers to do a decent port that won't have mods or third party patches to fix it. And you're also limited to the games that comes to the stadia library. At least if you have a pc you have the ubi store, steam, epic game store and even games that can be installed without a store launcher.

See I'm not saying the service is the worst idea ever but you are giving up a lot of options/access for some convenience.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
Essentially speaking, yes, although I suppose it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to give you kind of virtual desktop environment at some point that lets you access that stuff. I mean, it's basically already a VM, might as well go the whole distance, right? Not seeing it happening, but it's something they could do.

The annoying thing is, if Google wasn't being so mind-bogglingly stupid about it, I actually could agree that being able to all of my games on any of my devices regardless of hardware capabilities would be pretty drat great.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

Cardiovorax posted:

Essentially speaking, yes, although I suppose it wouldn't be beyond the bounds of possibility to give you kind of virtual desktop environment at some point that lets you access that stuff. I mean, it's basically already a VM, might as well go the whole distance, right? Not seeing it happening, but it's something they could do.

The annoying thing is, if Google wasn't being so mind-bogglingly stupid about it, I actually could agree that being able to all of my games on any of my devices regardless of hardware capabilities would be pretty drat great.

Yeah and I'm not gonna say that's impossible or anything. That totally could happen. That's sort of what they're trying to do with xcloud and GeForce now (whatever that was called)

But right now we're judging stadia based on what it is now.

Also I just wanna say if Stadians are trying to say their service is cheaper, it's not. It's $15 a month for 4k/60fps let's not forget that. (no need to mention it's not doing that on all games anyway). So if I was subscribed for 6 years, that costs $1,080. On top of a controller/Chromecast or any other equipment I need/want.

However if I was to buy a ps5 next year, at probably $500, and buy six years of ps+ at $60 a year, I spend $860 total.

Stadia isn't solving the issue on 'cost' at least for high end gaming.

However if you don't care about that and just want a gaming machine, Xbox one s, and ps4 slims have been under $200 already and they'll play blu Ray disc's as well and have a larger library than stadia may ever will.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Ineffiable posted:

Also I just wanna say if Stadians are trying to say their service is cheaper, it's not. It's $15 a month for 4k/60fps let's not forget that. (no need to mention it's not doing that on all games anyway). So if I was subscribed for 6 years, that costs $1,080. On top of a controller/Chromecast or any other equipment I need/want.

You only need Pro ($10/mo) for 4k and the monthly "free" games, right? Once Stadia opens up I believe folks will be able to buy games and play them without paying the monthly fee.

They'll be paying full price most likely - nothing like Steam sales or buying used console games.

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008

Ineffiable posted:

However if I was to buy a ps5 next year, at probably $500, and buy six years of ps+ at $60 a year, I spend $860 total.

Stadia isn't solving the issue on 'cost' at least for high end gaming.

People are idiots though, there's a reason car prices are usually listed as a monthly repayment costs and not the actual cost.

...! posted:

quote:

Yesterday I was watching a video on Star Citizen from Digital Foundry and from their explanation of what hardware is needed atm to run the game to how the game is going to advance in the future all I could think is that stadia is almost perfect for this type of game.

Personally it would be a giant coup to make Star Citizen a stadia exclusive given its unique system but with so many backers on PC already putting millions into the game I don't think it will ever be exclusive but it should be something that the guys from google should be looking at.

Wasn't Star Citizen using Google Compute cloud services originally, and then switched to AWS?

Glimm posted:

You only need Pro ($10/mo) for 4k and the monthly "free" games, right? Once Stadia opens up I believe folks will be able to buy games and play them without paying the monthly fee.

They'll be paying full price most likely - nothing like Steam sales or buying used console games.

Steam got the head start on everyone and has a massive library and cemented itself long ago, even EA are going back after pushing their own thing for ages.

The Epic Store is throwing their billions of Fortnite bucks at securing everything they can as an exclusive to force people into their ecosystem, and got a leg up on their user base by tieing it to one of the largest games around.

Stadia's gimmick is the streaming thing which makes their operational costs massively higher than either Steam or Epic Store as they need a significantly more complex back end than just a CDN to download from. No-one's going to re-buy games just so they can stream them, and no-one's going to fully commit to their ecosystem unless the deals are significantly better or they get a bunch of exclusives that drag people in and then they stay there because all their friends are using it now too.

Just don't see how they ever get it off the ground in any meaningful capacity.

Rudager fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Jan 2, 2020

Gobbeldygook
May 13, 2009
Hates Native American people and tries to justify their genocides.

Put this racist on ignore immediately!

Glimm posted:

This is good and bad - I wouldn't want to get a game like Skyrim on Stadia because modding that game is half the fun. Probably my biggest complaint about Stadia besides not having a proper sleep mode.

Ineffiable posted:

There is absolutely nothing that's local to your machine (besides the launcher) right? You can't even get your own save files or modify setting/configuration files beyond what's actually given to you in the game menu options right? You're completely at the mercy that [...] the developers to do a decent port that won't have mods or third party patches to fix it.
According to Bethesda only 8% of Skyrim players have ever installed a mod.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

Glimm posted:

For stereo sound and 1080p - and we don't know what the picture quality or gameplay quality will be.

Nor are we sure of the financial viability. The cost of running the games means that Google giving you a computer for free has to have some obvious strings attached.

Glimm
Jul 27, 2005

Cemetry Gator posted:

For stereo sound and 1080p - and we don't know what the picture quality or gameplay quality will be.

Nor are we sure of the financial viability. The cost of running the games means that Google giving you a computer for free has to have some obvious strings attached.

https://store.google.com/product/stadia_learn

This says Pro ($10/mo) is 4k and 5.1 surround and base (no cost) is 1080p and stereo.

Good point about the cost of running games - no idea what the financials look like there. I assume Google just burns money though.

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Whoops I thought pro was $15 a month. At $10 a month, even if you spend $500 on a console every 6 years and a $60 yearly subscription, then you still about break even so the point remains, you're still not saving much on cost when you compare to the experience that the new consoles will bring.

And I'm gonna lol if there's restrictions on the free stadia mode like... You cannot play multiplayer split screen games or something.

How long did it take ouya to keep floundering around before shutting down the store for good? Like 3 years?

Uncle Lizard
Sep 28, 2012

by Athanatos

Cemetry Gator posted:

And I have to change my settings to 720 just to reduce the lag and pixelation on 75/6 internet just to make games mostly playable. I'll be cancelling my subscription as soon as it starts to cost me additional 💰

withoutclass
Nov 6, 2007

Resist the siren call of rhinocerosness

College Slice
Also something to consider is that just because it streams at a particular resolution doesn't mean you're getting similar quality. Hell my Comast television/internet stream comes on at 1080p and the picture looks like rear end compared to 1080p on Netflix.

Celexi
Nov 25, 2006

Slava Ukraini!
1080p streams of most movies or shows look like poo poo versus the blu-ray of them

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Celexi posted:

1080p streams of most movies or shows look like poo poo versus the blu-ray of them

Case in point, Speed Racer. It's a movie you have to see on Blu-ray (if you didn't get the pleasure of seeing it theatrically.) Streaming the movie does it no justice, actively harming the look of the movie.

univbee
Jun 3, 2004

withoutclass posted:

Also something to consider is that just because it streams at a particular resolution doesn't mean you're getting similar quality. Hell my Comast television/internet stream comes on at 1080p and the picture looks like rear end compared to 1080p on Netflix.

TV channels are typically encoded at like MPEG-2 with some lovely constant bitrate due to being a live feed. Also straight 59.94i NTSC (or 50i PAL). Netflix streams are actually coherently encoded at native framerate (usually 23.976fps) with modern codecs and usually come out better as a result.

Detective No. 27 posted:

Case in point, Speed Racer. It's a movie you have to see on Blu-ray (if you didn't get the pleasure of seeing it theatrically.) Streaming the movie does it no justice, actively harming the look of the movie.

This is especially amusing given the Blu-ray is notoriously sub-par. It was a single-layered disc because it was early Blu-ray days and paying more for a DL disc wasn't worth it given that movie's lack of success. No lossless audio either, the Blu-ray has regular Dolby Digital audio (640kbps), and uses the older VC1 codec. Warner had a few discs of similar quality at the time, too, but I think all of their other titles have since gotten upgraded editions.

An Amazon stream would actually likely be in better quality due to using a better codec but that would depend on them doing the necessary encode directly from a reference quality file and not from the Blu-ray.

Khablam
Mar 29, 2012

Celexi posted:

Compression at all on a game (an image that, rendered locally, has a lot more sharpness/high frequency image elements than anything else) looks like rear end almost completely regardless of bitrate/encoding.
If you want to prove this yourself, open a game and record yourself standing still with shadowplay(etc) with an insanely high bitrate.
Bring up that video and tab between it, and the game.

No matter what you do, it'll always look like someone toggling between a sharpness filter being on/off, as that's precisely what the encoder does.
At stadia/reasonable to stream bandwidths, you'll also get colour-space compression, lower dynamic range and lower contrast.

This all whilst standing still, so to say nothing about any motion artifacts.

Sudden Loud Noise
Feb 18, 2007

My favorite video to stream is confetti. I have yet to find a service with a codec that doesn't completely poo poo the bed trying to compress confetti.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Rudager posted:

Stadia's gimmick is the streaming thing which makes their operational costs massively higher than either Steam or Epic Store as they need a significantly more complex back end than just a CDN to download from. No-one's going to re-buy games just so they can stream them, and no-one's going to fully commit to their ecosystem unless the deals are significantly better or they get a bunch of exclusives that drag people in and then they stay there because all their friends are using it now too.

Just don't see how they ever get it off the ground in any meaningful capacity.

No, the fundamental failing is it's entirely dependent on what's between you and Google's hardware, and neither you or Google have any say in what form that takes. And for most people it's not gonna be fibre all the way, so it's a complete non-starter as a mainstream thing. That's before even getting into what'd really happen trying to use it on public wifi, or just capped download plans.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Do you find something comical about my appearance when I'm driving my automobile?

univbee posted:

TV channels are typically encoded at like MPEG-2 with some lovely constant bitrate due to being a live feed. Also straight 59.94i NTSC (or 50i PAL). Netflix streams are actually coherently encoded at native framerate (usually 23.976fps) with modern codecs and usually come out better as a result.

Also, if you're watching on cable, the quality is going to be even worse since they are cramming stations into the feed, so they need to apply extra compression.

OTA channels can look pretty good since they get their full bandwidth, provided you're using an antenna.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Cemetry Gator posted:

OTA channels can look pretty good since they get their full bandwidth, provided you're using an antenna.

Except those are often fast-forwarded ever-so-slightly to fill a time window.

Cemetry Gator
Apr 3, 2007

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Except those are often fast-forwarded ever-so-slightly to fill a time window.

I'm just talking about general picture quality.

Why on God's green earth would you ever want to watch a movie on network television, which will be edited, will probably have a modified aspect ratio, and have commercial breaks.

Oh, and they usually have worse picture quality since they'll do extra poo poo to them for broadcast reasons. You know, more DNR and poo poo. Time compression is the least of your worries.

Zushio
May 8, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

I actually love that movie and know exactly what you are talking about. It was one of the first movies I ever watched on Blu-Ray and the visuals and colors blew me away. In particular the final race is nothing short of a visual feast. It's up there with The Fifth Element in terms of visuals for me.

Streaming it, or watching clips on YouTube, really does the film an injustice. It's still fun, and looks good, but it doesn't seem nearly as vibrant or immersive. The fight scene with the family is another good example. It doesn't have nearly the impact on streaming. You really lose a lot of the fine particle effects and subtle distortions that make the scene feel so meaty. Obviously the sound quality suffers too.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

Watching things on cable pisses me off these days because the cable companies compress the everloving poo poo out of everything. It's just gotten worse and worse over time. These days HD on cable barely looks any better than SD. Local channels are drat near unwatchable.

It's amazing that they manage to make it look that bad, given that the feeds they receive on their end are either at or near blu-ray quality. They save money by compressing it so much because they know you have no other choice. Yet another reason cable monopolies are bullshit. I really need to get an OTA antenna for local channels.

And Stadians seriously believe that Stadia will force those same companies to lift their data caps. Cable companies won't give one poo poo.

gschmidl
Sep 3, 2011

watch with knife hands

As a player base data point, Giant Bomb's Jeff Gerstmann accepted every single Stadia friend request from anyone and it was mid December before he saw more than one other person actually ingame. This thing is incredibly dead.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Just to give ya'll some perspective on how badly hosed Stadia is on the getting-developers-on-board front. I forgot that I went seeking comment from my favourite 7 years of development Xbone failed exclusive turned walk-n-fight cross platform kinda-meh title, Wulverblade:

Note the platforms:

And got this total lack of enthusiasm and open willingness to confirm Stadia is a total no-go dead end zero.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
This is a funny one:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Stadia/comments/eitke1/finished_up_the_4k_theater_install_today/

dude builds a super expensive home theater to play his budget streaming gaming platform

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

Cemetry Gator posted:

Why on God's green earth would you ever want to watch a movie on network television, which will be edited, will probably have a modified aspect ratio, and have commercial breaks.
And even censored. I watched The Fellowship on network TV this Christmas and they loving cut out Boromir's death. Network TV is trash garbage.