Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
it was anakin skywalker

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord

Chill Penguin posted:

They were on Tatooine, right? It’s gotta be Boba Fett

I heard the same thing from my BIL, who after drinking revealed his entire EU book collection of 50+ books :staredog:

Thinking logically it could be him given that falling into pits/holes means you clearly have survived.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
excuse me, what are you implying with the dogstare

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Risky Bisquick posted:

I heard the same thing from my BIL, who after drinking revealed his entire EU book collection of 50+ books :staredog:

Thinking logically it could be him given that falling into pits/holes means you clearly have survived.

If he'd read the new canon books there is a tattooine guy who becomes a local sherrif with sarlacc corroded armour he gets of jawas, and i'm fairly confident the story goes absolutely nowhere in the end

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

PLEASE LET ME WRITE YOUR VICTIM IMPACT STATEMENT SO I CAN FURTHER DEMONSTRATE THE CALAMITY THAT IS OUR JUSTICE SYSTEM.

Buglord
It was revealed that he likes Star Wars, but now I know he REALLY likes Star Wars. 40-50 novels worth of EU is a lot of content which takes dedication, even has a Courtship if Leia novel.

Surprised, I was.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Risky Bisquick posted:

40-50 novels worth of EU is a lot of content which takes dedication, even has a Courtship if Leia novel.

annnnnnd?? :colbert:

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

TCW in February:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQP4bk1uGXM&t=23s

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/slashfilm/status/1211737480577183744

Please can we not destroy this child's life

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Let's just hope he never actually does anything on screen, or is kidnapped or put in danger constantly. With Obiwan having to rescue him constantly and yet slip from Luke's memory in time for the movies.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I mean, it's not like Luke didn't know who he was. He just thought he was that weird hermit, Ben. There's room there for previous interaction.

Icon Of Sin
Dec 26, 2008

I’m hoping it’ll be some kind of spy-thriller. Obi has his secret mission that Luke had no idea of, but he also needs to stay off the radar of the local imperials, Hutts, and crime syndicates. Vader himself went to Tatooine once in the comics to force a “deal” out of the Hutts, so there’s some room for drama there too.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

Can't wait for Obi-Wan to use all the Krayt Dragon roars he's had over the years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSDgBbX1XTY

I actually like the second part of the 2011 "roar"

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Vinylshadow posted:

Can't wait for Obi-Wan to use all the Krayt Dragon roars he's had over the years

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lSDgBbX1XTY

I actually like the second part of the 2011 "roar"

There is absolutely no point to the Kenobi series if we don't get to see Ewan McGregor doing this.

Caros
May 14, 2008

Risky Bisquick posted:

It was revealed that he likes Star Wars, but now I know he REALLY likes Star Wars. 40-50 novels worth of EU is a lot of content which takes dedication, even has a Courtship if Leia novel.

Surprised, I was.

Don't loving @ me. It is rude.

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
The X-Wing series alone is like 9 novels. The New Jedi Order was 12 or 15 or something like that. Duologies and trilogies weren’t that uncommon in the Bantam era. 40-50 isn’t really that excessive given how interconnected and “meaningful” the old EU was. I really never thought we’d get a VII-IX under Lucas, so that really was the continuing saga for me at the time.

The only weird thing would be if he still had all 40-50 proudly displayed instead of stored in a box or something. The only old EU I still have on my shelf are the X-Wing books and comics and Heir to The Empire.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
NJO was 21. And I had every single one of them. :smug:

(Except the Ebooks because 13 year old me didn’t know what an ebook was)

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
https://twitter.com/ginacarano/status/1212216728215646208

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Here, we are now. Entertain us, you must.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

VaultAggie posted:

when i was a kid i was very proud of my collection of every eu book from iirc truce at bakura to the final njo book

...and then i moved into my first apartment and didnt have room for the like 70 fuckin books anymore

are there ebook versions of the old eu titles? i wouldnt mind reading the x-wing books again

e: ^^^ wow she even credits the artist in the next post, good for you gina

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Pretty sure they released the entire back catalog of novels as ebooks a couple years back. Probably something to do with updating them all to say "legends" and have the new Disney copyright info added in...but they framed it as "look at the other continuity!"

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

VaultAggie posted:

I read them all. I got hooked when on a trip and bought the first one in an airport. The only SW novels I had read before that were the Thrawn ones. I read a shameful amount of of EU books.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

So what do you want to be called?
The Mandalorian was pretty fun, but man that finale was lackluster as hell. Giancarlo Esposito is like an 80s cartoon character. Kills his own underling for no reason, then apparently kills another guy for interrupting him. Has his people fire indiscriminately into the building, then tries to negotiate with the protagonists who, by all rights, ought to be dead. Later he flies in (where the hell was he waiting?) and gets clowned by Oberyn Fett in a scene with exactly zero dramatic tension.

The show is littered with these moments: big action set pieces that come across flat and slightly weird. I don’t know how else to describe it.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Baronash posted:

The Mandalorian was pretty fun, but man that finale was lackluster as hell. Giancarlo Esposito is like an 80s cartoon character. Kills his own underling for no reason, then apparently kills another guy for interrupting him. Has his people fire indiscriminately into the building, then tries to negotiate with the protagonists who, by all rights, ought to be dead. Later he flies in (where the hell was he waiting?) and gets clowned by Oberyn Fett in a scene with exactly zero dramatic tension.

The show is littered with these moments: big action set pieces that come across flat and slightly weird. I don’t know how else to describe it.

You sound like someone on too many anti-depressants

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

site posted:

when i was a kid i was very proud of my collection of every eu book from iirc truce at bakura to the final njo book

...and then i moved into my first apartment and didnt have room for the like 70 fuckin books anymore

are there ebook versions of the old eu titles? i wouldnt mind reading the x-wing books again

e: ^^^ wow she even credits the artist in the next post, good for you gina

i have every single star wars book as ebook and if there is an audiobook, i have it. Canon included. They are not hard to come by.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Bust Rodd posted:

You sound like someone on too many anti-depressants

I don’t know what this means, but okay. :shrug:

Moon Slayer
Jun 19, 2007

Baronash posted:

Strong contender for "wrongest post of the thread."

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Rick and Morty but it’s Obi-wan and Luke

Risky Bisquick
Jan 18, 2008

Buglord

Baronash posted:

You are in the wrong thread this is about the Mando, not TLS

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Moon Slayer posted:

Strong contender for "wrongest post of the thread."

Risky Bisquick posted:

You are in the wrong thread this is about the Mando, not TLS
Hmm, yes. You both make solid rebuttals. Thanks for sharing.

Let's discuss the big setup of the final two episodes. Mando and his two buddies willingly walked into a room with 4 stormtroopers. However, it turns out that there are actually 6 stormtroopers surrounding them on all sides, and our protagonists clearly feel they are in deep poo poo. Now what does Evil Von Darksaber do? He kills his own dudes that are already in the room, which does nothing but improve the situation of Oberyn Fett. Von Darksaber demands that baby Yoda be turned over to him alive, despite the show using attempted assassinations as a source of drama all season. He threatens the protagonists with an E-Web, which literally serves no other useful purpose (the dude already has 30 troopers with guns and flamethrowers) than to act as a force multiplier when Mando turns it against the stormtroopers in the middle of the episode. This counterattack is only made possible by the arrival of IG, who apparently decided that bringing baby Yoda into the last five minutes of Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid was the best way to keep him safe. This is the same IG unit that was so overprotective that he threatened to kill Karga if he so much as touched the kid.

Not 20 minutes after saying that there was nothing more important than retrieving baby Yoda, Moff Gideon sends in a flame trooper to torch the building and everyone in it. The flame trooper is quickly repelled, and Mando sends his friends to aimlessly wander the sewers as he heroically chooses to die of a mild head injury.

Everything about this situation was mined for maximum drama at the expense of coherent motivations and plotting. You could have reached the same story beats in a way that makes more sense and doesn't make your (likely) recurring villain seem like an idiot.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronash posted:

Hmm, yes. You both make solid rebuttals. Thanks for sharing.

Let's discuss the big setup of the final two episodes.

Hey guy, the show happened as it happened.

The whole idea of a mounted heavy weapon is to act as a force multiplier. That's why it's shoots faster and further than anything else. Capturing or disabling such a force multiplier is the job of an attacking force or sabotage unit. This is warfare 101.

I'm not picking througfh the rest of your word pile to find anything else worth commenting on, but you suck at being entertained.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronash posted:

You could have reached the same story beats in a way that makes more sense and doesn't make your (likely) recurring villain seem like an idiot.

post the Baronash Cut or stfu

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

The whole idea of a mounted heavy weapon is to act as a force multiplier. That's why it's shoots faster and further than anything else. Capturing or disabling such a force multiplier is the job of an attacking force or sabotage unit. This is warfare 101.

10 folks with blasters already laid waste to the building, and that was before 20-30 more showed up. The E-Web was wholly unnecessary unless you’re on a television show where the protagonist needs to use it to take out a bunch of the evil dude’s henchmen. It makes the bad guy look like a moron.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Jan 2, 2020

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronash posted:

10 folks with blasters already laid waste to the building, and that was before 20-30 more showed up. The E-Web was wholly unnecessary unless you’re on a television show where the protagonist needs to use it to take out a bunch of the evil dude’s henchmen.

Who gives a gently caress, you spergatron. Nothing in this entire unvierse makes a lick of sense if you stop a give it any thought.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

Rocksicles posted:

Who gives a gently caress, you spergatron. Nothing in this entire unvierse makes a lick of sense if you stop a give it any thought.

A piece of work should be internally consistent. That’s not a high bar. They tied themselves into knots to deliver an incredibly contrived finale that falls apart at the smallest glance. Taken as a whole, those contrivances are emblematic of some janky (dare I say bad) writing.

Baronash fucked around with this message at 07:31 on Jan 2, 2020

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronash posted:

10 folks with blasters already laid waste to the building, and that was before 20-30 more showed up. The E-Web was wholly unnecessary unless you’re on a television show where the protagonist needs to use it to take out a bunch of the evil dude’s henchmen. It makes the bad guy look like a moron.

Laid waste maybe, but there was plenty of hard cover to hide behind. the blasters couldnt get through that cover. stands to reason the bigger gun with the external battery pack would maybe drill through that and make hiding not an option

Once that wasnt an option anymore, use the flame guy who is a less good but still functional for the purpose. Cmon, post the series of events that would have been a perfect villain standoff in your mind

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

Baronash posted:

A piece of work should be internally consistent. That’s not a high bar. They tied themselves into knots to deliver an incredibly contrived finale that falls apart at the smallest glance. Taken as a whole, those contrivances are emblematic of some janky (dare I say bad) writing.

There is nothing about the Emipire's military tactics that is internally or externmally consistant, it's like you haven't been paying attention.

The cat pee'd in your sandpit, boo hoo.

Baronash
Feb 29, 2012

bring back old gbs posted:

Cmon, post the series of events that would have been a perfect villain standoff in your mind
I don’t get paid to write television, so gently caress you, but it’d probably start by not having Moff Gus Fring kill the stormtroopers in the best position to get him what he wants.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Baronash posted:

I don’t get paid to write television, so gently caress you, but it’d probably start by not having Moff Gus Fring kill the stormtroopers in the best position to get him what he wants.

we have no idea if the guys employed by Herzog were friendly to Moff or just mobsters who stole armor off some dead soldiers. imo its better storytelling if that's left unaddressed for the audience to decide

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo

bring back old gbs posted:

we have no idea if the guys employed by Herzog were friendly to Moff or just mobsters who stole armor off some dead soldiers. imo its better storytelling if that's left unaddressed for the audience to decide

the starwars wiki says they are ex stromtrooper mercs who work for the client.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.
I demand realistic combat tactics from the cape-wearing villain who wields a black laser sword and wants to kidnap a tiny magic green elf baby.