Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jim close
Feb 25, 2007
I remember being in the hospital watching this on a VCR and getting a visit from David Caradine and his then wife. We talked about the movie and he told me about how Bakshi ran out of money and there was no part 2 (the case from Blockbuster said part 1). David Caradine looked like a homeless person with his hair all wild and very neat Hawaiian shirt (the guy who set up the meet and greets for the hospital thought he was a patient). My dad has a picture of me and David Caradine and his wife somewhere at his house. So anytime I think of this movie and it's wired as hell rotoscoping my mind wanders back to when David Caradines' wife gave me her Canadian Beaver.

That's my Ralph Bakshis LotR story, thanks for reading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON
someone doesn't skip leg day and is v. proud

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

Caught between two worlds...

jim close posted:

I remember being in the hospital watching this on a VCR and getting a visit from David Caradine and his then wife. We talked about the movie and he told me about how Bakshi ran out of money and there was no part 2 (the case from Blockbuster said part 1). David Caradine looked like a homeless person with his hair all wild and very neat Hawaiian shirt (the guy who set up the meet and greets for the hospital thought he was a patient). My dad has a picture of me and David Caradine and his wife somewhere at his house. So anytime I think of this movie and it's wired as hell rotoscoping my mind wanders back to when David Caradines' wife gave me her Canadian Beaver.

That's my Ralph Bakshis LotR story, thanks for reading.
thank you for sharing. this masterpiece has touched a lot of lives

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

sam does not trust this iron-thewed stranger that calls himself strider. the others do, though, and the iron-thewed stranger immediately amends his name to aragorn, son of arathorn, and declares himself the hobbits' friend and protector. the music affirms this as a positive development, and so i am at ease

BurgerQuest
Mar 17, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

BurgerQuest fucked around with this message at 11:16 on Jan 2, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

so it is late at night in the town of bree, when the ringwraiths come in on their reasonably healthy-looking shadow horses, and sneak unto the motel room where the hobbits lie sleeping. it's a beautifully done sequence

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

The ringwraiths are so cool and creepy in this. And this is another one of those scenes, you'd swear was in the book, but no, it's all Bakshi.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the ringthings materialise in the hobbits' motel room and really get intense about stabbing them to death. they absolutely just satanically murder these hobbits

oh gently caress! they've been had! the hobbits are gone! devastated, the ringwraiths flock together and start having a kind of sensuous, intimate little rave while screeching

i am uncertain what the following frames depict but i believe it to be some sort of golden helmet being rotated into place, this is genuinely all i have to go on

meanwhile the hobbits sleep apparently quite undisturbed by all that has happened, lovingly guarded by shanks radley son of bradley or whatever the hell

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

in the sort of unexpected display of male tenderness in which this film is surprisingly rich, frolicsome summery music plays as frodo wakes up, looks at aragon like this

and then wordlessly goes back to sleep. end scene

fauna fucked around with this message at 20:14 on Jan 2, 2020

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the ringwraiths flounce out leaving behind an absolutely shredded motel room

fun fact, bakshi wanted to score the movie with led zeppelin but couldn't get the rights, so it's done with a cheesy sword'n'sandals fauxchestral thing cobbled together at the last minute and hated by everybody involved. but it was meant to be the zep. i consider robert plant a collaborator, though he wasn't aware of it at the time

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i wish someone hadn't mentioned tarantino, because now i can't help but notice the number of lingering foot shots in this thing is statistically unusual

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

General Dog posted:

Quentin Tarantino’s The Lord of the Rings

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

the chemistry between frodo and aragorn is undeniable, and sam is introduced as a potential complication to the relationship. i don't remember this subplot from the books and am excited to see where bakshi goes with it

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
I can't wait for the balrog

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

fauna posted:

after a wild night of jigging at the inn of the prancing rotoscope, the hobbits return to their hotel room to find it already occupied by an intensely dressed stranger

Strider was originally a Hobbit named Trotter who wore clogs that made "clitter-clap" sound. It's a crime he was turned into a man.

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

aragorn's a man of action. the ringwraiths came and frodo was jonesing for the ring, aragorn told him not to but he just could not stay away from that ring and long story short he got stabbed

there's a lot going on in the background of ringspace, i like it

:ohdear:

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

They found the world's largest hobbit in their room!

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

out of nowhere, just when all seems lost, with a joyful blast of trumpets, oh poo poo

with this i leave you. someday i may return

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
:munch:

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

The Aruman/Saruman thing was so weird. Pick a name and stick with it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Sam is the most English looking man in existence

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

RBA Starblade posted:

Sam is the most English looking man in existence

Temaukel
Mar 28, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I really wish Longshanks would put on some drat pants. Filthy bastard.

Myron Baloney
Mar 19, 2002

Emitting dimensions are swallowing you

fauna posted:

for those unfamiliar with the legend, we are at the millionth birthday of frodo's grandfather, bilbo. he has invited everybody in the village, and is telling him he hates them all while they gaze at him adoringly

ProudFEET!

Ichabod Tane
Oct 30, 2005

A most notable
coward, an infinite and endless liar, an hourly promise breaker, the owner of no one good quality.

https://youtu.be/_Ojd0BdtMBY?t=4
Pick was right we are in the land of avatars and it is blessed

Grevling
Dec 18, 2016

"Hmmm no one around. Time for me to do the dinosaur real quick without fear of ridicule."

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Unironically better than anything Peter Jackson has done. I love bakshi so much and I am bookmarking the gently caress out of this thread

empty sea
Jul 17, 2011

gonna saddle my seahorse and float out to the sunset
I remember watching this in high school while high af. Great movie. The animated 70's Hobbit is just as awesome and weird.

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

do fire and ice next

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice

fauna posted:

and we cut back to our old friends, the hobbits, who have multiplied

Goddamn Bebe's Kids.

The Dregs
Dec 29, 2005

MY TREEEEEEEE!

free hubcaps posted:

do fire and ice next

Girls butt
Girls boobs
Girls butt
Some orcs
More butts and boobs

Pretty cool movie.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.
What have they done to you Samwise

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Frodo looks like Patton Oswalt in a poofy wig.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

Rotoscope my anus

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
Watch Rock & Rule next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=knENwlh0FFA

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

aragorn and sam both react with unbridled passion to the elf, who is of course the people's favourite, legolas

fauna
Dec 6, 2018

i'm trying to keep a lid on the gay jokes but honestly, the amount of unashamed male love and appreciation on display in this movie warms my heart

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

phasmid
Jan 16, 2015

Booty Shaker
SILENT MAJORITY

The motherfuckin witch king

Godammit it's legolas.