Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Go look up deepfakes.

Yeah, I know all about that stuff. The VR face/body tracking isn't really a factor there, the genie's already out of the bottle, and they already have access to tons of pictures and videos.

My point was there's other stuff unique to VR/AR that's worth worrying about, namely how they're talking about using the inside out cameras to create a map of the entire world, including the inside of your house and stuff. That's unprecedented private data just waiting to leak.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AEMINAL
May 22, 2015

barf barf i am a dog, barf on your carpet, barf
Are there ever any goon meet ups in vrchat? Met one randomly in the pug (from mentioning barnacle jims long-rear end face to a friend) and we had a blast talking about ancient SA poo poo.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

I played two races in the Quest beta of Dash Dash World, and it was pretty good. A fine translation of the kart genre, pleasing art style, varied locations, fun weapons, drifting, boosters, parts of the map you have to avoid, etc. It has loot boxes that worried me at first but it's all cosmetic poo poo.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ckn1awU5Y2s

Happyimp
Sep 26, 2007

I exist I guess.

AEMINAL posted:

Are there ever any goon meet ups in vrchat? Met one randomly in the pug (from mentioning barnacle jims long-rear end face to a friend) and we had a blast talking about ancient SA poo poo.

It would be nice to have a vrchat or bigscreen meetup. I want to checkout vrchat proper, but not by myself.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Also Pokerstars. Poker goons mount up.

This thread really should play together more

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 01:20 on Jan 2, 2020

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This thread rally should play together more

This sounds fun as hell.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Rolo posted:

I don’t log in to oculus social stuff every day and just noticed it recently. It also bothered me and my friends a lot so I posted about it.

I’m also not going to check the OP on the reg to make sure you didn’t ban a new topic.

VR Megathread: Yeah, we know Facebook is evil, sky is blue, water wet

mashed
Jul 27, 2004

This thread is at its best when slapfighting over the evilness of facebook.

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

I place them at 200Sk*, well below fossil fuel companies but above pharmaceutical companies, because at least drugs save lives as well as destroying society

*each Sk unit is equivalent to one Martin Shkreli worth of evil

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Chadzok posted:

I place them at 200Sk*, well below fossil fuel companies but above pharmaceutical companies, because at least drugs save lives as well as destroying society

*each Sk unit is equivalent to one Martin Shkreli worth of evil

What is the Sk value of ExxonMobil, Lockheed Martin, Monsanto, for comparison

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Jim Silly-Balls posted:

This thread really should play together more

We should def schedule a goon vr poker game

Warbird
May 23, 2012

America's Favorite Dumbass

Hadlock posted:

VR Megathread: In retrospect Knifegrab was right.

Content: I’m surprised we don’t have more cockpit games of all descriptions available than we do. The assorted flight games are all great uses of the tech. You’d think there would be more driving games than there are. Is that cart racer one floating around any good?

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority
Mindfuck game Tea For God continues to get regular updates. It can be downloaded for free. The dev recently added a "horizontal scaling" mode that makes your play area seem larger than it is, and it's badass.

For context, here's a description of the game:

quote:

Tea For God is a VR roguelite shooter that uses impossible spaces (an euclidean orbifold or Escher-like world or more commonly known as "non euclidean" spaces) and procedural generation to allow player infinite movement within their own home.

Basically, it uses geometric fuckery to make you walk in circles/figure-eights/zig-zags through your space, while in-game you are progressing through the world. There is no artificial locomotion (stick movement, teleport, etc.)

Here's a video showing how it works. While the guy here is in a much larger roomscale space than most of us have, the game works the same way even in a smaller space:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTFMaCd6lBM

Since the game is 100% strict about keeping all navigable space within your boundaries, there's no need to hesitate when you want to quickly scamper around a corner to dodge enemy fire. It's really badass.

While not really shown in this video, there are large outdoor sections where you use a sequence of trolleys to get around. There are often turrets shooting at you in these parts, so you have to (physically) duck behind stuff to stay safe, and maybe even squat-walk.

Anyway, the dev recently added a really cool feature that makes even a small playspace seem larger than it is:

the dev posted:

VR horizontal scaling
If you have a much smaller space, you may want it to appear a bit larger. Just for comfort. This is possible with horizontal scaling. Note that this means that space appears larger but also when you move in the real world, you cover a larger distance within the game. It may be scaled up to +100% which means that for 1m walked in the real world, you move 2m in the game. Up to 40% should be okay for most people. 10-15% feels really comfortable.

So if my play space is 8' by 8' and I set it to +20%, then the game will render the world to look like I'm actually working within a roughly 9'7" by 9'7" space, and if I step 2 feet IRL, I'll move about 2'5" in the game world. It's a neat way to make your space feel larger than it is, and in my experience, using a smallish multiplier did not give me any motion sickness or make it feel super obvious that the game was "boosting" my movements. You can set the scaling to as high as +100% (i.e. double the perceived size of your play space), though setting a high multiplier might gently caress with you, as it will be easier to perceive that you're moving "faster" in the game than you are IRL. And even if you don't consciously perceive it, your brain still may not like it.

This game does some really cool poo poo, and since it's free, it's worth trying. There is a Quest build, which I imagine would be really loving cool, especially if you can use it in a larger space, like a backyard or empty garage.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.
Wow that's pretty brilliant stuff

I love non-euclidean spaces in general, but using it to solve roomscale issues is cool, if gimmicky.

The horizontal scaling thing sounds really interesting though.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Tea for God is prefect for the Quest. It's much easier to find and set up large tracked areas when you aren't tethered to anything. I played it on an indoor basketball court, I could comfortably run full-pelt.

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Waiting for Tea For Dog, where you explore a non-eucledian world filled with infinite pups

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Songbearer posted:

Waiting for Tea For Dog, where you explore a non-eucledian world filled with infinite pups

A pup-petual game, if you will.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006
I just got a Rift S (first VR headset) and I'm absolutely loving it.

I've struggled a bit moving between the oculus app and steam VR app but think that's all under control - just can't figure out how to get my library to show up in VR mode rather than the recently played??

Anyway I had a couple of games lined up to try out:

1. Redout

This was too much! I got motion sickness almost immediately which is really weird for me - don't get it at all anywhere but this made me feel like I was going to blow chunks right out the gate. I'm going to stick with it though because it is a fun racer.

2. Thrill of the Fight

Awesome!! Like other goons I was working my rear end off to get through three rounds. It feels like the multipliers might not be writing in my favour (my uppercuts just don't seem to land properly) but that's a thing to figure out.

3. Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice

Wow. Played the non VR and that was intense. In VR (even though it's over the shoulder) it's even more intense. I need to be careful with this - hearing voices is probably not a great thing to be constantly exposed to.

Additional things I tried:

Valve Labs - the arrow game and the vortex shooter is fun

Serious Sam The First Encounter - holy poo poo!! Peeking around corners and shooting around corners?? This game is heaps of fun and very tense. Didn't play serious Sam previously but think I might need to check it out

Rec Room - couldn't exit it. Also multiplayer only. Meh.

Puddin
Apr 9, 2004
Leave it to Brak
So I got a quest for Xmas and have been playing it pretty much a few hours a day since I opened it.

As a step up from the PSVR, I absolutely love it. I was a little cautious of the 72hz spec of it, but with the increased resolution over the PSVR it actually feels a lot more comfortable compared to it.

While terrible at it I've had a ton of fun with Beat Saber so far, Superhot is just amazing in VR, so much fun.

Tea for God looks amazingly cool, I'll have to check that out.

SCheeseman
Apr 23, 2003

Songbearer posted:

There's little robot dogs in Tea for God but they are scary and explode :(

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

How do you aim weapons in VR? I'm not really trained in normal gun use but understand that you're not supposed to close your eye that's not looking down the sight. I sure can't do that with any games I've tried and have to squint to line things up. I suppose it'll just take practice, but it seems really difficult if it's doable in a headset.

Flying the ultralight in Ultrawings and using a dart gun to shoot balloons is a pretty fun coordination challenge, though I really struggle with the aiming thing there.

fliptophead
Oct 2, 2006

AzureSkys posted:

How do you aim weapons in VR? I'm not really trained in normal gun use but understand that you're not supposed to close your eye that's not looking down the sight. I sure can't do that with any games I've tried and have to squint to line things up. I suppose it'll just take practice, but it seems really difficult if it's doable in a headset.

Flying the ultralight in Ultrawings and using a dart gun to shoot balloons is a pretty fun coordination challenge, though I really struggle with the aiming thing there.

I'm not a gun person at all but I don't aim down a sight so much as point the shooty end at the bad guy and pull the trigger. It mostly works!

I think if I had to use some sort of scope I'd be hosed though.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

AzureSkys posted:

Handguns and revolvers; Align the little ridge on the end of the gun between the two at the back of the gun. When all three are level and even, pull the trigger.

Longarms (rifle, shotgun, smg, etc), it's pretty much the same; just align the ridge on the end in the middle of the circle nearer your face.

For holosights and scopes; move dot over target, pull trigger.

I highly recommend getting H3VR on Steam, because aside from just being plain fun on its own it's an excellent way to :gitgud: at shooting in VR as a transferable skill for other games.

Neddy Seagoon fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jan 2, 2020

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

I am continuing to love the shooting in Boneworks. I got the AR that has the laser so you don’t have to use iron sights and I just use them anyway. So drat fun

Dietrich
Sep 11, 2001

AzureSkys posted:

Figure out which of your eyes is dominant and sight with that. And that scene in Pocahontas is stupid, you're not going to gain anything but a wider field of view by having both eyes open while sighting, and might introduce error if you haven't trained your brain enough to ignore your off eye's info for anything other than distance information. Feel free to close your off eye while shooting.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Anyone have any good two-player VR recommendations? My buddy and I are trying to find stuff to play. Rec Room was a boring morass. Next we're going to try Onward (even though I prefer Pavlov) because it has co-op comp stomp. What else is good for two people?

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Dietrich posted:

Figure out which of your eyes is dominant and sight with that. And that scene in Pocahontas is stupid, you're not going to gain anything but a wider field of view by having both eyes open while sighting, and might introduce error if you haven't trained your brain enough to ignore your off eye's info for anything other than distance information. Feel free to close your off eye while shooting.

I did the tests on that site and apparently I don't have a dominant eye? Did the triangulation test and the object moved an equal distance to either side when I closed an eye, only stayed centered with both open. Probably did it to myself back in junior high when I ripped a contact lens and was afraid to tell my parents, so went about 9 months wearing only one contact lens.
I'm a pretty good shot IRL anyway, so not sure what difference it makes.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

UnknownTarget posted:

Anyone have any good two-player VR recommendations? My buddy and I are trying to find stuff to play. Rec Room was a boring morass. Next we're going to try Onward (even though I prefer Pavlov) because it has co-op comp stomp. What else is good for two people?

Give Sam and Dan: Floaty Flatmates a look. It's probably something you'll only play once, but it's free on Steam.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
I would definitely be down for some goon poker.

Probably easiest to set up through the Discord though. I'll try reaching out when I'm free in the evenings.

jubjub64
Feb 17, 2011

UnknownTarget posted:

Did you try all the RecRoom things? There are some really fun games in there like a battle royale style game and some dungeon crawler style quests.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

Enos Cabell posted:

I did the tests on that site and apparently I don't have a dominant eye? Did the triangulation test and the object moved an equal distance to either side when I closed an eye, only stayed centered with both open. Probably did it to myself back in junior high when I ripped a contact lens and was afraid to tell my parents, so went about 9 months wearing only one contact lens.
I'm a pretty good shot IRL anyway, so not sure what difference it makes.

Try the other test suggested on that website (the thumb one). I had your same reaction to the "triangular focus" test, but had a very clear difference with the thumb test.

Chin Strap
Nov 24, 2002

I failed my TFLC Toxx, but I no longer need a double chin strap :buddy:
Pillbug

That Italian Guy posted:

Try the other test suggested on that website (the thumb one). I had your same reaction to the "triangular focus" test, but had a very clear difference with the thumb test.

Same

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

What really sucks is when your dominant eye is the opposite of your dominant hand, then you have to get creative with how you hold a gun.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

SCheeseman posted:

Anyone want to add any more games to the second post? My tastes are pretty specific so I'm not great at covering the entire breadth of what is available, so I'm happy to hear some suggestions.
None of the major Oculus headliners are in there, which seems like a pretty massive gap. Below is an updated version of a post of mine from earlier in the thread, in case it's helpful.
Including some of the more mainstream/polished games might help avoid the problem experienced by a new VR player a couple of pages back, who tried stuff like H3VR and Boneworks and appeared confused as to why people are recommending those quite rough/indy/early access games for first time VR-ers:

El Grillo posted:

Asgard's Wrath is a large, AAA quality made-for-VR fantasy role playing game produced by Oculus. First person combat with use of a third person God mode as part of the puzzle solving mechanics. The game looks great but the gameplay itself has divided opinions. Some people love it, some think that it's not well designed for VR and instead just feels like an attempt to make a 2D AAA title in VR with little to no thought about how to best take advantage of the new medium. In any case if you're looking for a quality, long form single player in a fantasy setting (that isn't a badly done port of a 2D game e.g. Skyrim VR), here it is.

Defector was the most recent big Oculus release before Asgard's Wrath. Defector is a singleplayer spy game with some big setpiece Bond-type scenes at the beginning. Decent reviews but apparently pretty short and with quite restricted gameplay.

Brass Tactics. Has a free demo. First (really awesome) proper RTS, made by some old Age of Empires devs. Online, co-op and AI play available, plus a little singleplayer campaign. Online population may be pretty dead these days, I don't know.

Landfall is an ok RTS type game but focuses on controlling individual mech characters on smaller arenas.

I think it's pretty much universally agreed that Lone Echo is a must-play experience and probably the best single player VR game so far. Echo VR is its free multiplayer. Definitely need to check both of them out.

The Mage's Tale is another big singleplayer. A good length, 15 hours+ for most people. It's fun and the visuals are decent but there's a bit of a lack of polish. There are some really awesome setpiece moments especially near the end The Ninety-Nine!

Sprint Vector is a cool multiplayer, it's kind of a Mario-cart-type racing game but without the carts. Look up some videos, it's sort of hard to describe, there's lots of flying. Search Reddit or whatever to see if anyone's still playing, it might be a bit dead now.

From Other Suns is described as a cross between Faster Than Light and Borderlands. It's a single player/co-op game where you command your own spaceship and travel across the galaxy, fighting AI enemies either in space with your ship, or in FPS by jumping onto other ships and space stations. Some people say it gets monotonous due to the proc gen used for combat environments. But it's pretty polished and fun and the feeling of piloting your ship with your own crew, with the various different jobs of engineer etc.. definitely gave me a Firefly trip. Up to 4 player co-op or you can play with AI on your side.

Arktika.1 is a very polished FPS single player from the Metro devs, apparently it's great unless you have a searing hatred of teleportation gameplay.

Wilson's Heart is another singleplayer first person experience, it's a noire puzzler/gothic horror game but in reality is more of a long-form interactive narrative experience. I really like it though despite the lack of in-depth gameplay mechanics. Incredibly polished as an experience.

In a somewhat similar vein, The Invisible Hours is a totally non-interactive, 'virtual immersive theatre' experience. It's a murder mystery in a mansion with a whole story all going on at once - so you choose how to experience it, which characters to follow and in which order. Really awesome apparently despite somewhat mediocre visuals.

Mission: ISS is a simulation of the internal US side of the ISS (and the whole thing in EVA mode). Very cool.

Obduction is basically Myst in VR. Very good if you like that sort of thing, but there have been performance problems so it's worth keeping under two hours playtime to see whether it works properly at first, so you can refund if needs be.

Star Trek: Bridge Crew is what it sounds like; you play pilot, captain, engineer or tactical specialist, on the bridge of the Enterprise (classic or modern versions) with either AI or other players filling the rest of the four roles. Really fun with a good crew, lots of capacity for amusing idiocy. Only criticisms are that it's visually somewhat meh, and whilst there's a good amount of content, the actual number of campaign missions is a bit limited. There are AI if you can't find other players, but it recently released in '2D' so there may still be a decent community.

Res Infinite is beautiful and trippy as hell.

Fallout 4 VR is Fallout 4 in VR. Typical low-effort Bethesda janky port where you have to use community mods to get it to run properly. Ditto Skyrim VR.

Onward and Pavlov. Good online multiplayer fps's of very different types. Pavlov is Counterstrike in VR, Onward is somewhere between that and ARMA on the game vs sim spectrum. I think both have (rubbish) bots to play against now but the communities are still going strong I believe so you shouldn't need them except for practice.

Arkham VR is actually great even though it's a quite short. Weirdly enough, the last half is one of the best narrative uses of VR I've seen. The visual polish is loving great too.

Marvel Powers United was meant to be a big blockbuster Oculus multiplayer, Facebook invested a ton of money in it and even released a branded Rift bundle, but the game fell totally flat due to a crippling (and baffling) lack of variety in the gameplay and scenarios.

I Expect You To Die has recently had yet another mission added to it for free, so there's probably a solid two to three hours' content in there now overall. Even more worth checking out if you never did.

The Unspoken released a single player campaign which was pretty cool and visually great, unsurprisingly short though. The main game is a cool multiplayer magic dueling thing, though I doubt anyone plays these days.

Dead & Buried was my favourite game when consumer VR first launched and comes free with Rift. Very simple, western-themed multiplayer shootout, but the visuals, gameplay mechanics and pretty much everything else were highly polished. So much fun if you enjoy ducking and running around your playspace making use of the in-game cover and lobbing sticks of dynamite at people. The co-op wave scenarios are fantastic, especially the Graveyard map with the Void Widow boss.
Probably no players now though, I imagine. They released a sequel to the game with Oculus Quest. The sequel used standard fps movement instead of the fixed positioning of the original, and this kind of destroyed the arcadey style of the first game.

Chronos was the first long-form VR singleplayer and it's still great. A third person Zelda-like game which has a collection of the best made-for-VR game mechanics I think I've ever seen in a single title. You need a gamepad to play, as it released before Oculus launched their first motion controls. Don't be put off by dying a lot, it's not meant to be an easy play.

Rec Room now has a whole bunch of quests, including the pirate one they just released, and also customisable persistent community rooms where you can build poo poo, kind of like a paired-down Garry's Mod. You need to be playing with decent people to be able to survive any of the Quests.

Big Screen is a multiplayer virtual desktop app, you can broadcast your screen to all other players with audio if you have a decent upload bandwidth, there are big shared rooms now to hang out in too.

Finally, there are also a whole ton of free experiences, documentaries and so on many of which are well worth checking out:

Google Earth VR is mindblowing.

Welcome to Lightfields is also from Google and is also loving amazing.

The BBC documentaries tend to be good.

Crow: The Legend is a visually stunning short animated movie which is well worth checking out, and Coco VR is a movie tie-in experience from Pixar which is really drat beautiful too (doesn't matter if you haven't seen the film). The more recent recent Wolves in the Walls is also brilliant.

El Grillo fucked around with this message at 16:59 on Jan 2, 2020

AzureSkys
Apr 27, 2003

That eye info is helpful. Thanks! If I use both while aiming I get double vision but didn't want to start a habit of closing the non-dominant one if that's a frowned on thing. I feel like the VR setup sorta forces it, though.

Now I gotta add IRL weapons, boxing, and dance training to improve my video game skills... But at least it's gotten me away from my desk chair a fair bit.

treat
Jul 24, 2008

by the sex ghost

Pylons posted:

What really sucks is when your dominant eye is the opposite of your dominant hand, then you have to get creative with how you hold a gun.

I just use my right eye regardless. Muscle memory has me pulling the gun up to my right eye but left eye dominance means I typically begin sighting with my left out of habit before realizing my mistake and having to switch to my right instead.

The Walrus
Jul 9, 2002

by Fluffdaddy

UnknownTarget posted:

Rec Room is really good? Did you try the Quest modes? Rec Royale? Paintball? Those are the highlights imo.

Climbey is my favourite VR multiplayer still

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

treat posted:

I just use my right eye regardless. Muscle memory has me pulling the gun up to my right eye but left eye dominance means I typically begin sighting with my left out of habit before realizing my mistake and having to switch to my right instead.

I don't have a problem aiming with my left eye (and right hand), you just move the gun a pair of centimeters left.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

The Walrus posted:

Rec Room is really good? Did you try the Quest modes? Rec Royale? Paintball? Those are the highlights imo.

Climbey is my favourite VR multiplayer still

We tried the Royale mode and Paintball. Royale was a bust because the game doesn't group you with your party, only randoms. So we landed on opposite sides of the map and died alone. The paintball game was ok but we were still trying to party up (had to Google the fist bump thing) and it wasn't interesting enough to try to get him into. Didn't try any of the quests because at that point it was getting late and we had spent the last 20 minutes trying tennis (barely workable) and the YouTube theatre rooms, which we thought was for watching movies together but were some sort of green screen booths instead.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

That Italian Guy posted:

Oh weird, yeah turns out via the thumb test that I'm left-eye dominant (and right handed). Will have to do some testing next time I go out shooting.