Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

Holy poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Reik posted:

What's the source on the centaur?

MTG: Young Mage according to Mythicspoiler, whoever that is

Zombie Poly K seems solid

----------------------

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.

Jesus. Untapping with that creature seems loving deece.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

Elyv posted:

MTG: Young Mage according to Mythicspoiler, whoever that is

Zombie Poly K seems solid

----------------------

yeeeeah horse fish

Reik
Mar 8, 2004

This + Vigor in EDH seems pretty busted.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY BABY :cry:

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Count Bleck posted:

WHAT DID THEY DO TO MY BABY :cry:

Elspeth killed the gently caress out of it during the original block which pissed off Nylea something fierce.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

AlternateNu posted:

Elspeth killed the gently caress out of it during the original block which pissed off Nylea something fierce.

Polukranos was part of the reason I played Theros standard in the first place so seeing him come back is really nice.

Also I finally have a Golgari commander I genuinely want to play.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I feel like you might as well concede if you're letting your opponent untap with Polukranos a pretty high percentage of the time.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

I feel like you might as well concede if you're letting your opponent untap with Polukranos a pretty high percentage of the time.

Nice throwback to OG Theros standard imo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

4 mana creatures should just end the game.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I do appreciate the story beat that they're apparently letting it loose to track down zombie Elspeth.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Finally my moden jund deck gets an more expensive 4 drop to bling the deck out.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I like that it has a couple of ghost or zombie heads in the art.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Count Bleck posted:

Nice throwback to OG Theros standard imo.
Old poly k was a powerful mana sink but it didn't get to just immediately destroy your opponents board (5 mana only got you 2 damage) in the way this can.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!
I must be missing something because new PollyK seems pretty good but not earth-shattering.

Also, I didn't follow a lot of OG Theros lore. Did he die during the original Theros run? If so, how?

Tainen
Jan 23, 2004
https://twitter.com/izzetmtgnews/status/1212770064878845952?s=21

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

Toshimo posted:

I must be missing something because new PollyK seems pretty good but not earth-shattering.

Also, I didn't follow a lot of OG Theros lore. Did he die during the original Theros run? If so, how?

Some chick with a spear and her boyfriend killed him.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Old poly k was a powerful mana sink but it didn't get to just immediately destroy your opponents board (5 mana only got you 2 damage) in the way this can.

New PolyK dies really quick though, unless he's escaped.

Toshimo posted:

Poly K was released by Phenax (I think) into running amok. Heliod sent Elspeth to take care of him as a test of loyalty. She tracks PolyK down and murders the gently caress out of him. Nylea gets understandably pissed because she's all about letting nature do it's thing.

It's all a plot by Phenax to sow discord between the gods.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

AlternateNu posted:

New PolyK dies really quick though, unless he's escaped.

Poly K was released by Phenax (I think) into running amok. Heliod sent Elspeth to take care of him as a test of loyalty. She tracks PolyK down and murders the gently caress out of him. Nylea gets understandably pissed because she's all about letting nature do it's thing.

I would disagree that he does really quick without destory/exile removal. That 6/6 is going to get a ton of value out.

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Sickening posted:

I would disagree that he does really quick without destory/exile removal. That 6/6 is going to get a ton of value out.

It's not phantom templating it's Conjurant templating, if you deal 6 damage to it it dies, if you deal 3 damage to it it becomes a 3/3.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Kurieg posted:

It's not phantom templating it's Conjurant templating, if you deal 6 damage to it it dies, if you deal 3 damage to it it becomes a 3/3.

I get that. Its still a ton of value.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Can someone remind me what happens if you have something like The Wanderer out which prevents all non-combat damage and this new Polukranos? If someone burns it do you get to choose which replacement effect happens or is it the more recent one?

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames

This is absolutely insane in Commander

FrozenPhoenix71
Jan 9, 2019

AlternateNu posted:

It was Xenagos who stirred Polukranos from his slumber.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

OH LAWD HE COMIN

InterrupterJones
Nov 10, 2012

Me and the boys on the way to kill another demon god

I think I love this.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
Whoever controls Polukranos gets to choose.

A burn spell neuters the front half pretty well, but that back half is really threatening. You untap with it and kill two creatures, imposing board position. It's an instant-speed Fight too.

6 is quite a lot of cards, even in a deck built around turning on Escape isn't going to replay it that many times in a game. Especially since you're likely going to want to spend some of those cards on other Escape things, if you're putting work into turning it on. And if you're not really trying to push an Escape theme then you're probably only going to activate it once in a game unless you're playing against, like, a control deck that forgot to pack a win condition.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
The fact that Polukranos can be bought back later is sufficient to make it a really dangerous card. The front half alone is pretty close to playable on it’s own but the recursion puts it over the top.

Also being able to Oko it would’ve been so nutty

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Yay Sultai food! :peanut:

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

Bust Rodd posted:

As soon as I saw it searched for any lands I got really, really excited

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

What a bizarre alternate mode.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

Did Golgari decks really need another insane 4 drop. Nice art though.

Seems like a nicely balanced card for limited, very strong pick if you have enough enchantment guys.

Waffleopolis posted:

Edit:

Same question but for Temur Elementals.

I feel like this is going to be much better in application than it looks on paper.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 18:16 on Jan 2, 2020

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
Polukranos also favorably beats Questing Beast in G/x mirrors

Mat Cauthon posted:

Did Golgari decks really need another insane 4 drop.

Technically all the best 4 drops in Golgari are Green or black, so yes it did

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Bust Rodd posted:

Polukranos also favorably beats Questing Beast in G/x mirrors

They trade.

Because Questing Beast has a million words on it.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

QB specifically has 'damage can't be prevented' on it, but only for combat, so I guess fighting is still good

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

Bust Rodd posted:

Yup. This is going to win the "random rare that is like 10+ bucks because its a commander staple" card of the set.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Tubgoat
Jun 30, 2013

by sebmojo
Le grand mort.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Magic Underwear
May 14, 2003

Young Orc

resistentialism posted:

QB specifically has 'damage can't be prevented' on it, but only for combat, so I guess fighting is still good

The weird thing is that with qb out this at 6/6 will trade with a 3/x. But it can fight a qb and win. Four mana is a crazy power spike for creatures right now.