Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

cock hero flux posted:

a: the story of this game has been out for literally over 20 years
b: the change in question happens like 20 minutes after the game starts

7R is not 7 and I think it's fair enough to ask for people to tag what happens that differs from the og

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Terper posted:

7R is not 7 and I think it's fair enough to ask for people to tag what happens that differs from the og

Yes this is what I meant and not "don't spoil this 30 year old game"

Bregor
May 31, 2013

People are idiots, Leslie.

Blockhouse posted:

Yes this is what I meant and not "don't spoil this 30 year old game"

Aeris is pretty good with a bo staff

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3
Jessie is HONGRY for Cloud's [~BUSTER SWORD~]

CottonWolf
Jul 20, 2012

Good ideas generator

I’m glad they kept her single defining characteristic from the OG.

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
Has it been confirmed or does anyone else think that Biggs, Wedge and Jessie arent going to die like in the original.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Aerith Dies and Reno and Rude are the best characters

Have they done the traditional what if gag manga where instead of joining The Turks the break into comedy as straight man/whacky dude duo yet?

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
The band Sparks but with Reno and Rude.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

Have they done the traditional what if gag manga where instead of joining The Turks the break into comedy as straight man/whacky dude duo yet?

which one's which?

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

TommyGun85 posted:

Has it been confirmed or does anyone else think that Biggs, Wedge and Jessie arent going to die like in the original.

Nah they're definitely still going to die, they're just building them up to be more than slightly wordy NPCs before they do.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cock hero flux posted:

on the topic of changes to the story, though: Jessie has a throwaway line where she references that she's having trouble getting in contact with "command", indicating that 7R's version of AVALANCHE is a lot bigger and Barret is just in charge of one cell, not the whole thing. Not sure quite how I feel about that although it definitely makes a fair bit of sense. I wonder if they'll have Rufus be secretly in charge of AVALANCHE again like they did in Before Crisis.
tbf it was pretty weird in the original when they acted like avalanche was a powerful terrorist force when it was 5 operating out of a basement

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Sidequest where you get one revive item and you have to pick either Jessie or Aerith.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Saint Freak posted:

Sidequest where you get one revive item and you have to pick either Jessie or Aerith.
i pick the dolphin

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.

Looper posted:

which one's which?

Rude is the silly one, the dude is weirdly good at prop comedy.

Rosalie_A
Oct 30, 2011

Endorph posted:

tbf it was pretty weird in the original when they acted like avalanche was a powerful terrorist force when it was 5 operating out of a basement

I thought so too, and then I got older and realized that the authoritarian government making a small group of dissidents into Public Enemy Numbers One Through Infinity made a bunch of sense.

In general everything about Shinra went from cartoonish to realistic as I got older and discovered how much the world sucks.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I feel like Barret says Cosmo Canyon was where AVALANCHE was born but when we visit it in game it's the first time he was ever there.

It's Compilation stuff sure but Before Crisis gives AVALANCHE's beginning some elaboration I think? Maybe that was at least vaguely always intended.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel like Barret says Cosmo Canyon was where AVALANCHE was born but when we visit it in game it's the first time he was ever there.
he says that he met a traveler from cosmo canyon who told him a second-hand version of Bugenhagen's "the planet is alive" shtick which is what inspired him to start AVALANCHE

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

https://i.imgur.com/DirVqqO.png

I can't exactly tell for sure but to me this looks like wedge eating poo poo off of a tower, which does not bode well for biggs or jessie

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

cock hero flux posted:

I can't exactly tell for sure but to me this looks like wedge eating poo poo off of a tower, which does not bode well for biggs or jessie

Pictured there is indeed Wedge getting loving owned by gravity

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

cock hero flux posted:

Well, gently caress.

Here's hoping Kwedge makes it through at least.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Fister Roboto posted:

Nah they're definitely still going to die, they're just building them up to be more than slightly wordy NPCs before they do.

Yeah spending a whole expanded new game buddying up with them just means they're deffo going to die again, but this time you might actually emphasize with barret's break down over it instead of going "Welp RIP to those people I met twice."

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah spending a whole expanded new game buddying up with them just means they're deffo going to die again, but this time you might actually emphasize with barret's break down over it instead of going "Welp RIP to those people I met twice."

the reason I asked was because I thought I saw screenshots (or a video clip) of them inside Shinra HQ...I may have been mistaken.

cock hero flux
Apr 17, 2011

TommyGun85 posted:

the reason I asked was because I thought I saw screenshots (or a video clip) of them inside Shinra HQ...I may have been mistaken.

I fully expect them to die at a completely different point in the story and possibly in 3 separate events, meaning 1 or more of them could easily make it to the Shinra Tower, but I highly doubt any of them are making it to part 2

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

cock hero flux posted:

I fully expect them to die at a completely different point in the story and possibly in 3 separate events, meaning 1 or more of them could easily make it to the Shinra Tower, but I highly doubt any of them are making it to part 2

Sephiroth is going to skewer Jessie now.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Electric Phantasm posted:

Sephiroth is going to skewer Jessie now.

A shishkebab of Jessie, Wedge, Biggs, and Aeristh.

Veib
Dec 10, 2007

Add a new date sequence in Midgar for the Avalanche people

Jessie just wants Cloud to notice her :(

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

jokes posted:

A shishkebab of Jessie, Wedge, Biggs, and Aeristh.

All of them then remain there on Sephiroth's sword for the rest of the game.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
That's both dark and hilarious.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Veib posted:

Add a new date sequence in Midgar for the Avalanche people

Jessie just wants Cloud to notice her :(

Jessie deserves a cute rear end date with Cloud before she gets pancaked.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Jessie can only date Cloud if Wedge can date Barret.

Chillgamesh
Jul 29, 2014

The Cheshire Cat posted:

All of them then remain there on Sephiroth's sword for the rest of the game.

Except it's Jenova and not Sephiroth that did that stabbing so the sword is actually part of Jenova's biomass, which they all get absorbed into, so you'd have to fight a screaming mutated amalgam of your four friends who endlessly screech WHY COULDN'T YOU SAVE US CLOUD in discordant chorus

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal
I want Jenova-Sephiroth to lumber around like that farmer in MIB

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Chillgamesh posted:

Except it's Jenova and not Sephiroth that did that stabbing so the sword is actually part of Jenova's biomass, which they all get absorbed into, so you'd have to fight a screaming mutated amalgam of your four friends who endlessly screech SO WHATS THE DEAL WITH YOU AND TIFA in discordant chorus

TommyGun85
Jun 5, 2013
The original was published by Sony and had a massive marketing campaign. I wonder if the remake will also.

I dont remember any other FF titles being marketed the way the original was.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Why didn’t Cloud ever like like Tifa? Is it because she didn’t pull brain tricks on him like Aeristh?

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.

jokes posted:

Why didn’t Cloud ever like like Tifa? Is it because she didn’t pull brain tricks on him like Aeristh?

Tifa did pull brain tricks on him. Actively lying and feeding into his deluded state along with half way coaching him through some things.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

jokes posted:

cloud was crushing hard on tifa when they were kids but his attempts at impressing her got them both hurt and made him give up on any further attempts to connect with her. that, on top of his shame of never making SOLDIER, meant that he couldn't even bring himself to acknowledge her when he showed up at Nibelheim for the reactor excavation

meanwhile tifa's life just kept getting shittier and shittier in his absence and she became obsessed with him and their childhood promise as a reminder of better days, so when he showed up catatonic and drooling at the train station only to snap into falsely claiming that he'd made SOLDIER First Class, she enabled his delusions to keep him close and regain some semblance of emotional rapport with him

cloud is mentally the most hosed up of the cast, but tifa's a close runner-up, and without the eldritch cell-magic to help her along

morallyobjected
Nov 3, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

cloud was crushing hard on tifa when they were kids but his attempts at impressing her got them both hurt and made him give up on any further attempts to connect with her. that, on top of his shame of never making SOLDIER, meant that he couldn't even bring himself to acknowledge her when he showed up at Nibelheim for the reactor excavation

meanwhile tifa's life just kept getting shittier and shittier in his absence and she became obsessed with him and their childhood promise as a reminder of better days, so when he showed up catatonic and drooling at the train station only to snap into falsely claiming that he'd made SOLDIER First Class, she enabled his delusions to keep him close and regain some semblance of emotional rapport with him

cloud is mentally the most hosed up of the cast, but tifa's a close runner-up, and without the eldritch cell-magic to help her along

I mean, to be fair, her hometown did burn to the ground thanks to a powerful maniac and she saw her dad impaled on a giant sword.

she also played along with the game because she couldn't figure out why he was acting so weird.

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

<3
I can almost guarantee you they will dial down the messed up aspects of their relationship in the remake.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

And she never really tries to actually talk to him about the absurd inconsistencies in his stories and actions even as it becomes increasingly clear that there is something really worrying going on with him. She’s just happy to have him around and doesn’t want him to disappear by confronting him about how he’s pretty clearly hosed up.

Tifa and Cloud’s relationship is one of the best parts of FF7 imo. They’re both messed up about it and it’s great.