Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
Extreme Measures is an easy 5 heat, IMO. The extra mechanics that they add to the boss encounters aren’t too difficult, and they probably make Theseus easier overall (although his buddy is definitely a bit harder)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

This is the setup I'm currently streaking on.

Add Extreme Measures 3 for 15 heat, replace Budget Cuts with a second Damage Control since you mostly don't give a poo poo about that condition with the shield.
e: also replace Personal Liability with Calisthenics or a fifth Forced Overtime. You'll have to activate Forced Overtime if you want to reach high heat, might as well get used to it :getin:

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jan 2, 2020

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012
Ground out a first win with the bow. Artemis/Aphrodite heavy, with crit on the special, +2 arrows and armor piercing. Game rules so much!

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
Is it just me, or are Aphrodite/Dionysus builds real strong right now? Maxed out the chaos shield and the charon bow, both feel like there's no other build that comes close.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Is it just me, or are Aphrodite/Dionysus builds real strong right now? Maxed out the chaos shield and the charon bow, both feel like there's no other build that comes close.

What do you need to do this? All the gods have multiple boons, so I never understand what people mean by "God1/God2 build" when there are a ton of options.

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."

Fenn the Fool! posted:

Aphrodite is good but I tend to avoid Dionysus if I can. The DOT effects generally feel underpowered in a game as spammy as this where you're better off just doing more damage up front, festive fog seems like a waste even with additional boons to make it better, and his utility options are mostly underwhelming (20% damage reduction only if you're under 40% health is terrible). Even with the duo boon that lets you stack the poison higher I feel like you're better off going for any other god if you have the choice.

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
I generally take the Dionysus trinket in the first area and swap out for the Aphrodite trinket on the second. I dont know how exactly the RNG works, but it seems like you're more likely to see boons from gods you already have boons from. You won't always get the boon you want right off the bat, but it'll probably show up in the run somewhere.

gandlethorpe
Aug 16, 2008

:gowron::m10:
A lot of Dionysus' boons are pretty situational, but I do find poison to be an easy curse to keep applied for the +50% damage. Weak is the other easy one, which is why they make such a good pair. <insert wine pairing joke>

The other gods require either more investment to get access to their curse (Zeus, Athena, Poseidon) or the curse itself isn't meant to stay constantly applied (Ares, Artemis)

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
So far I've been running Artemis trinket, Coin Purse, whatever I feel will help me most in Elysium and the Tooth, because it's +150 life for the last boss. Artemis just pairs way too well with almost everything.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

gandlethorpe posted:

A lot of Dionysus' boons are pretty situational, but I do find poison to be an easy curse to keep applied for the +50% damage. Weak is the other easy one, which is why they make such a good pair. <insert wine pairing joke>

The other gods require either more investment to get access to their curse (Zeus, Athena, Poseidon) or the curse itself isn't meant to stay constantly applied (Ares, Artemis)

I'd argue that Artemis doesn't matter much in that regard because Marked pops off when a crit lands, which is where you want your bonus damage anyway.

Unless you're spamming blade rifts or blitz disks.

Andrast
Apr 21, 2010

Glazius posted:

I'd argue that Artemis doesn't matter much in that regard because Marked pops off when a crit lands, which is where you want your bonus damage anyway.

Unless you're spamming blade rifts or blitz disks.

Artemis is relatively bad since it doesn't work against solo bosses

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
I never picked the Marked curse thingie. Why do that when you can Cast more, or Cast more, or Cast more?

Incoherence
May 22, 2004

POYO AND TEAR
I almost got my first victory last night with a Doom-heavy spear build (throw spear approximately in the direction of enemies, run, repeat), but choked on Hades' second phase. I'm on about attempt #30, which sounds like it's a little on the high end for people in this thread, but I'm comfortable with being bad at video games.

Elysium just kills any of my runs that aren't heavy on kiting. I can see the appeal of, say, an Adamant Rail special build, but you have to both stand still for a moment to fire it and aim it where the enemy is going to be, and then you get turned into paste by Asterius.

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

gandlethorpe posted:

A lot of Dionysus' boons are pretty situational, but I do find poison to be an easy curse to keep applied for the +50% damage.

Yeah it's this.
Poison is also just really good dps by itself on certain weapons. It works quite well with Chaos Shield or Chiron's bow, for example.
As for the marked curse, I'll pick it up if I have a big Artemis AoE but weak single target damage. Open up with the AoE, take down the marked target, which will very likely mark another one, then repeat. Useless in 1v1 boss scenarios, but don't underestimate how important regular fights are.

Almost 30 in a row :toot:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
What exactly is the difference between Hell mode and a normal run anyways? I started with Hell mode and I'm not exactly sure what's different.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry

Internet Kraken posted:

What exactly is the difference between Hell mode and a normal run anyways? I started with Hell mode and I'm not exactly sure what's different.

Locks in a 5-heat pact at minimum, including a unique condition that removes your mercy invincibility on grievous damage.

kaschei
Oct 25, 2005

Internet Kraken posted:

A few heat options (+100% damage, faster attacks, I can’t remember the other) and one extra not in the regular heat menu: no amount of damage triggers invulnerability (without broken spearpoint).

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Well I guess that explains why sometimes I take like 50 damage from in 0.5 seconds :saddowns:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

Well I guess that explains why sometimes I take like 50 damage from in 0.5 seconds :saddowns:

this can also happen if you make the grievous error of standing within five feet of a shield-bearer for more than half a second

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Oxxidation posted:

this can also happen if you make the grievous error of standing within five feet of a shield-bearer for more than half a second

gently caress shield-bearers IMHO.

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

Dias posted:

gently caress shield-bearers IMHO.

Magitek
Feb 20, 2008

That's not jolly.
That's not jolly at all!
The trick with both Shieldbearers and the large chariots is to take advantage of their long dormant periods after their attacks. The shield guys will literally stand there motionless for ~3 seconds after doing one of their attacks, so bait them and then dash to their rear and hit them repeatedly. With the large chariots, you need to bait them into hitting an object. Just dash over one of the gaps in the floor or through a pillar, then use the time they stand there motionless to turn them into glue.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Magitek posted:

The trick with both Shieldbearers and the large chariots is to take advantage of their long dormant periods after their attacks. The shield guys will literally stand there motionless for ~3 seconds after doing one of their attacks, so bait them and then dash to their rear and hit them repeatedly. With the large chariots, you need to bait them into hitting an object. Just dash over one of the gaps in the floor or through a pillar, then use the time they stand there motionless to turn them into glue.

It's why I actually really like the spear. It's not a flashy weapon but it's really good if you're sticking and running, especially with the Achilles aspect. It's probably the one weapon where I wanna build up my basic attack because it remains very good throughout the game.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So I guess it makes sense considering he's the GOD OF WAR but Ares' wrath seems absurdly, ridiculously lethal compared to other gods. He literally flooded the screen with constantly moving, pulsing damage spheres that had barely any room between them. It was the first thing in this game that felt really cheap and like I had basically no chance of surviving.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Internet Kraken posted:

So I guess it makes sense considering he's the GOD OF WAR but Ares' wrath seems absurdly, ridiculously lethal compared to other gods. He literally flooded the screen with constantly moving, pulsing damage spheres that had barely any room between them. It was the first thing in this game that felt really cheap and like I had basically no chance of surviving.

Yeah... don't gently caress with ares just saying.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Internet Kraken posted:

those damage fields track with enemy movement, so if you get a lot of little zippy enemies then yeah, you're in for a bad time

Ragnar34
Oct 10, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Kind of wish these summons were more impressive. It's not like they're a liability, but for something with an entire new resource devoted to unlocking and improving them, they could at least kill one wave of enemies per use. Not even that, maybe. Gimme a full screen damage wave, or kill the one enemy in the room with the most HP, or fill up my god gauge, or top off my health.

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo
My personal Hera Bow notes so far:

You wanna pick as many Artemises as you can, because her Cast powerups are amazing. Homing Cast is great, dmg% Cast is also great, Double Cast is very good, her Legendary Boon might as well win you the run outright, getting crystals to drop off faster helps quite a bit, and extra crit on regular attacks if you're going for quick attacks is okay. Hermes dash upgrades are always amazing, and getting any sort of attack speed helps a lot. Move Speed off a dash is a decent consolation prize too. Rapid Fire Hephaestus is amazing because you don't really care about arrow damage, you just wanna shoot fast. Other than that, I'm not sure, I just take Poseidon/Dionysius passive poo poo and Athena's reflect stuff.

If Chaos isn't gonna kill your run, take it. Chaos is a Devil Room deal, it's worth the hit. A boost to your attack or your cast is definitely worth it, otherwise take whatever won't gently caress you too hard.

Special dashes are good for those handful of enemies that are small and annoying. Homing Cast means that isn't as important but still, it helps. Pomes are good if you can buff up cast damage. Basically you're stalling until you can shoot bosses or high-health enemies down with a shot.

Also Zeus/Artemis Duo buffs are worth a lot of money when you sell them, and they're kinda useless.

mistaya
Oct 18, 2006

Cat of Wealth and Taste

I one dropped a four-stack Aphrodite's god call on third boss after i'd gotten him solo and ho boy did that get fully blocked. Not sure why that's blockable. :(

ILL Machina
Mar 25, 2004

:italy: Glory to Italia! :italy:

Ayy!! This text is-a the color of marinara! Ohhhh!! Dat's amore!!
Not sure why you're doing anything to theseus's face, he turns around after every throw.

Use your own shield's block-during-charge for relative defense comparison. He will block all sorts of specials and ults that go shieldwards

Mango Polo
Aug 4, 2007
Picked the game back up after pausing for a couple of months and things sure are different. Gems, diamonds, titan's blood? Whew.

Any recommendations on priorities/best picks for the titan's blood?

Dias
Feb 20, 2011

by sebmojo

Mango Polo posted:

Picked the game back up after pausing for a couple of months and things sure are different. Gems, diamonds, titan's blood? Whew.

Hera Bow is cheap as hell for a cast-based build, Achilles Spear is the best spear, Poseidon Sword is a decent alternative for casting too.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Mango Polo posted:

If you're looking to click like crazy and have breathing room to learn any new patterns the base Shield upgrades give a sizeable boost to survivability.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Man, the 4th boss is just destroying me. I can clear the entire game up to them reliably but they have so much goddamn HP and the screen can be flooded with so many entites that I have no clue how to handle it. It feels like suddenly all my damage is anemic no matter what build I'm running.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Internet Kraken posted:

Man, the 4th boss is just destroying me. I can clear the entire game up to them reliably but they have so much goddamn HP and the screen can be flooded with so many entites that I have no clue how to handle it. It feels like suddenly all my damage is anemic no matter what build I'm running.

In my experience (only 2 successful runs out of 30) if you want a hope of beating them you have to plan from the very first boon for it. There are several runs I hit the third zone and went "this won't finish it, do your best to accrue cash for a diamond/blood, then suicide on poison and push through act 3."

Benson Cunningham
Dec 9, 2006

Chief of J.U.N.K.E.R. H.Q.
Got this game yesterday, beat it today.

The shield feels like it's cheating.

Would recommend, and hope they add additional stages before release.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Benson Cunningham posted:

Got this game yesterday, beat it today.

The shield feels like it's cheating.

Would recommend, and hope they add additional stages before release.

Dont worry, once you get a good run going every weapon will feel like you're cheating

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Oxxidation posted:

those damage fields track with enemy movement, so if you get a lot of little zippy enemies then yeah, you're in for a bad time

conversely, if he summons a few big beefy dudes, his wrath is hardly more dangerous than a regular room

Eraflure
Oct 12, 2012

Mango Polo posted:

1) Chaos Shield
2) Poseidon Sword/Hera Bow
3) Whatever you enjoy the most

Ragnar34 posted:

Kind of wish these summons were more impressive. It's not like they're a liability, but for something with an entire new resource devoted to unlocking and improving them, they could at least kill one wave of enemies per use. Not even that, maybe. Gimme a full screen damage wave, or kill the one enemy in the room with the most HP, or fill up my god gauge, or top off my health.

The (most likely to be) last summon you unlock is completely overpowered and the Skelly one is pretty good too.

I just really don't enjoy the rail. Thank god for Poseidon, didn't have to use my weapon in the temple.

Eraflure fucked around with this message at 15:10 on Jan 3, 2020

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
i had the hestia rail upgraded to do 100 damage after a manual reload, plus a chaos boon that gave me a 35% increase to my regular attack, plus artemis' regular attack+crit boon and the one that ups your crit damage

i was doing 750 damage a shot