Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shut up Meg
Jan 8, 2019

You're safe here.

Mr. Sunshine posted:

As someone fluent in both English and Swedish, Dutch really triggers my "Jesus Christ I'm having a stroke" sense in the brief period before I realize all the words are just random vowels strung together with "shchtj"-sounds and go "Ah, it's Dutch!"

Glad it's not just me: last time I was in Amsterdam, I almost convinced myself that I could have understood Dutch fluently if I simply concentrated and listened a bit harder.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Mr. Sunshine posted:

As someone fluent in both English and Swedish, Dutch really triggers my "Jesus Christ I'm having a stroke" sense in the brief period before I realize all the words are just random vowels strung together with "shchtj"-sounds and go "Ah, it's Dutch!"

That's what Swedish and Danish do for me, because I'm more used to Dutch.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006

Try slavic languages, if you know one the neighboring languages are basically understandable but it gets less and less so with each border.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

Try slavic languages, if you know one the neighboring languages are basically understandable but it gets less and less so with each border.

I speak four Slavic languages with varying degrees of fluency, and the Slavic languages I don't know, like Bulgarian or Serbian, are always a trip. I can get full sentences one moment and then nothing at all, even though phonetically my brain registers them as languages I should understand. Sort of like this video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vt4Dfa4fOEY

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
I had a similar thing once. Went to college in Wales. Had myself a lovely cheap alarm clock. Mustve been tuned to a local radio station, because when I woke up, I could hear voices speaking with roughly the same accent as all the English speakers around me. But the words were all wrong. I was convinced I'd stroked out in the night and this was my life now. It was a talk show as well, so I didn't have any English language song lyrics to reset my brain

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
https://twitter.com/DanielNMiller/status/1212867036411392000

Aperture Priority
May 4, 2009

~~*~~Is Dream~~*~~
:coolfish::3::coolfish:

Good god, even his choice in guns is tacky.

IncredibleIgloo
Feb 17, 2011

Is Dr. Phil's username BeastmasterJ?

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

IncredibleIgloo posted:

Is Dr. Phil's username BeastmasterJ?

I suspect he's especially good at expectorating.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I would pay $5.75 million not to have it

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Captain Hygiene posted:

Everyone always ignores the aerosolized urine cloud that forms around you as an inherent part of using a urinal. Intentionally using the urinal next to someone is effectively the same as walking up to them and spraying them down with bodily waste, it's tantamount to biological warfare and is technically illegal by international accord.

What about turning the hand drying nozzle upside down and then peeing into it so the piss mist gets sprayed over the whole bathroom?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Lobok posted:

What about turning the hand drying nozzle upside down and then peeing into it so the piss mist gets sprayed over the whole bathroom?

Solice Kirsk
Jun 1, 2004

Lobok posted:

If you turn the bathroom lights off you can call that move The Piss Abyss.

DandyLion
Jun 24, 2010
disrespectul Deciever

Solice Kirsk posted:

If you turn the bathroom lights off you can call that move The Piss Abyss.

I would have gone with 'Putting the old sub in dry dick'

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

I'm the gently caress artwork.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tag yourself, I'm the giant relief artwork that says "gently caress".

e: :argh:

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

https://twitter.com/Theophite/status/1212902464233435137

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Fister Roboto posted:

Hearing Dutch makes me think I have brain damage, because it sounds like English but I can;t understand a single word.

Shut up Meg posted:

Glad it's not just me: last time I was in Amsterdam, I almost convinced myself that I could have understood Dutch fluently if I simply concentrated and listened a bit harder.

I speak German as well and went to Amsterdam this year.
The first place I went was a pub for a drink and a snack and I was certain I knew what they were saying.

I spent 10 days there and never found a good way to say, "I'm a stupid American and I don't know what I'm doing".

dreamin of semen
Feb 22, 2013

MULTIPLICATION
it's apparently his son's house, which explains a lot, but also is extremely, viscerally disappointing

let dr phil say gently caress

Caufman
May 7, 2007

winterwerefox posted:

Not gonna lie, first time I had to piss in a new school, I took a piss in one of those, while everyone else was staring at me like i was nuts. Get called into the principal's office, all that. Didnt get in trouble, cause well.. honest dumb rear end ignorance. Didnt help the urinals were around a corner, and that sink was in front of toilets.

How strange. In grade school, I'd have anxiety dreams of walking into a restroom, and all there was were sinks like those, no urinals.

The Bloop posted:

Depending on spacing, each urinal can accommodate two, possibly three streams in a crowded situation.

Plus, the sinks are right there. It's all just pipes, after all.

I like the way you think. You can share a urinal with me any time.

Caufman has a new favorite as of 03:49 on Jan 3, 2020

DicktheCat
Feb 15, 2011

Ah...
Perhaps I don't want to use the male bathroom after all.

It's funny, though, everyone says the female bathrooms were always worse, but in my long, storied career of cleaning restrooms, I've always found the male to be more nasty. The worst I've encountered if a pad being dropped and unrolling, or some blood getting on the seat and going unnoticed. Maybe I'm lucky? I wonder if it's the fact that women are expected to take their children into the restroom with them more often than men.

Men almost never flush the urinals, and I see a suspicious lack of papertowels in the trash can when I'm taking them out, despite the fact that our restrooms get essentially the same amount of traffic.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Apparently, Dr. Phil's son is a massive Tim Burton fan, which explains the horrendous taste.

Daily Mail had a big article on the house. So you don't have to get them clicks, here's the link on Internet Archive.

James Woods
Jul 15, 2003

DicktheCat posted:

Ah...
Perhaps I don't want to use the male bathroom after all.

It's funny, though, everyone says the female bathrooms were always worse, but in my long, storied career of cleaning restrooms, I've always found the male to be more nasty. The worst I've encountered if a pad being dropped and unrolling, or some blood getting on the seat and going unnoticed. Maybe I'm lucky? I wonder if it's the fact that women are expected to take their children into the restroom with them more often than men.

Men almost never flush the urinals, and I see a suspicious lack of papertowels in the trash can when I'm taking them out, despite the fact that our restrooms get essentially the same amount of traffic.

Speaking from working 20 years in bars the female restroom is almost always in worse condition at the end of the night. This ranges from clubs and dive bars to high end cocktail bars I've worked at. Urinal flushing is always a problem but the female restroom is always littered with paper towels, toilet paper, and sanitary products even if there is ample room in the trash bin.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

What kind of idiot doesn't recognize the Ball Tickler?

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

I had this playing and it hit 3:04 right as the cameraman reached the perfect position under it, followed by 3:41 for the ending.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JtOvEDGVaBM

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Knormal posted:

What kind of idiot doesn't recognize the Ball Tickler?

You apparently, that's the rear end Blaster

BOOTY-ADE
Aug 30, 2006

BIG KOOL TELLIN' Y'ALL TO KEEP IT TIGHT

I'm the tree-pube handrails

Paint Crop Pro
Mar 22, 2007

Find someone who values you like Rick Spielman values 7th round picks.

Im the lion hoof dandruff.

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
Man that is an awful house

Mr. Fall Down Terror
Jan 24, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
i'm the candelabra without wax catchers that drips hot wax all over the pool table below

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

BOOTY-ADE posted:

I'm the tree-pube handrails

I think the banister is supposed to be antlers, which is somehow far, far worse.

edit I'm the picture of a fireplace next to the pool table in what appears to be the upstairs hallway

edit 2: the picture of the fire is also apparently a vampire as it does not have a reflection

Baron von Eevl has a new favorite as of 06:34 on Jan 3, 2020

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

RC and Moon Pie posted:

Apparently, Dr. Phil's son is a massive Tim Burton fan, which explains the horrendous taste.

Daily Mail had a big article on the house. So you don't have to get them clicks, here's the link on Internet Archive.

Now I don't usually condone judging someone on appearance, but just looking at this guy and his band mates makes me think his music is profoundly terrible.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

https://twitter.com/skywaIkersoIos/status/1212869202211745794

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

RC and Moon Pie posted:

The most expensive thing in every one of those pictures are the giant LEGO looking figures. Made by some Japanese weirdo.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
You guys would love the new Terrence Malick movie it takes place in Austria and Germany in the 30's and 40's and all characters are constantly switching between English and German with no subtitles sometimes in the same scene.

gbut
Mar 28, 2008

😤I put the UN🇺🇳 in 🎊FUN🎉

Or the Painted Bird for Slavs, apparently. I haven't seen it but am curious.

Paladinus
Jan 11, 2014

heyHEYYYY!!!

Inzombiac posted:

I speak German as well and went to Amsterdam this year.
The first place I went was a pub for a drink and a snack and I was certain I knew what they were saying.

I spent 10 days there and never found a good way to say, "I'm a stupid American and I don't know what I'm doing".

Almost everyone in the Netherlands speaks nearly perfect English.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Paladinus posted:

Almost everyone in the Netherlands speaks nearly perfect English.

I'd scratch the "perfect". "Steenkolen Engels" (=coal English) is not uncommon, mainly with older people who grew up with no/barely any English education. A TV program that follows local people had an incredible example of this kind of "Dunglish" last year. It makes perfect sense to a Dutch person, but the mishmash of words is probably hard to follow if you don't speak the language:
https://www.facebook.com/TypischOnline2019/videos/558307724932630/
Non-Facebook link: https://legacy.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7779867/a8a263f5/you_also_look_on_de_pepersaus.html

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SpaceGoatFarts
Jan 5, 2010

sic transit gloria mundi

Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

I'd scratch the "perfect". "Steenkolen Engels" (=coal English) is not uncommon, mainly with older people who grew up with no/barely any English education. A TV program that follows local people had an incredible example of this kind of "Dunglish" last year. It makes perfect sense to a Dutch person, but the mishmash of words is probably hard to follow if you don't speak the language:
https://www.facebook.com/TypischOnline2019/videos/558307724932630/
Non-Facebook link: https://legacy.dumpert.nl/mediabase/7779867/a8a263f5/you_also_look_on_de_pepersaus.html

Still better than this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygNb6dbtObU

That's the president of the european council and former Belgian PM btw