Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer
I remember how the first book ends and how the hell is a TV production supposed to show that without looking like absolute rear end? Hopefully they have the budget to show magic at army destruction levels, but I'm prepared to have it look like some bad, old B-movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grillfiend
Nov 29, 2015

Belgians ITT
(ie Me)

the last episode of The Witcher certainly has some of the best and most varried use of magic I've seen in live action fantasy

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

whoa, what just happened here?

College Slice

Libluini posted:

I remember how the first book ends and how the hell is a TV production supposed to show that without looking like absolute rear end? Hopefully they have the budget to show magic at army destruction levels, but I'm prepared to have it look like some bad, old B-movie.

That one can be done from a distance. The battle at Falme from book 2 is the one that has to be sold close-up.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler
I'm prepared for it to have a streaming service budget, higher than network TV but obviously a lot less than a movie. I assume there will be dodgy CGI, but I also think some people are really critical of any CG stuff. The complaints about the CG in Rise of the Skywalker seem very exaggerated to me but maybe I just don't notice it, I even thought it was some of the better moments in that movie?

People in The Witcher thread comparing that show to episodes of Hercules: The Legendary Journey are insane though and should go back and watch an episode or two of that if they really think that's the case.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

One tweet Twitter forced me to read was trying to slam RoS by saying Mandalorian's droids were all practical? And I'm like, did nobody else remember the multiple practical BB8 props they showed off filming?

I mean, I guess bad CGI exists. You can't argue against that statement!

PlushCow
Oct 19, 2005

The cow eats the grass

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I'm prepared for it to have a streaming service budget, higher than network TV but obviously a lot less than a movie. I assume there will be dodgy CGI, but I also think some people are really critical of any CG stuff. The complaints about the CG in Rise of the Skywalker seem very exaggerated to me but maybe I just don't notice it, I even thought it was some of the better moments in that movie?

People in The Witcher thread comparing that show to episodes of Hercules: The Legendary Journey are insane though and should go back and watch an episode or two of that if they really think that's the case.

I think it's just a similarity seen in the storytelling, an episodic, monster-of-the-week thing, which makes sense since every episode is basically one of the short stories of the novels; the threads that link the episodes until it all comes together isn't the focus until like the very end.

Sab669 posted:

I haven't kept on this thread in a few dozen pages, but I recall people saying how "hand wavey magic doesn't work well with live action" and how this should be an anime, which I've always disagreed with. Just curious if those who subscribe to that mentality watched The Witcher and what you thought of the magic in it specifically?

Anytime the "would be better animated" thing comes up I think it's because of worries about budget and scale, getting something on screen that looks like what you see in your head. The Witcher did a great job and am pretty excited for Wheel of Time, though I would really like to see what their trollocs look like.

Magic on TV in Wheel of Time, like I don't think they need to show magic being weaved and poo poo, like have a scene early on where Moraine is explaining it, show a close up of her eyes and pan to show then some CG magic color threads weaving themselves together but beyond that just show a goddamn pillar of flame popping out of nowhere roasting that trolloc, done.

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

PlushCow posted:

I think it's just a similarity seen in the storytelling, an episodic, monster-of-the-week thing, which makes sense since every episode is basically one of the short stories of the novels; the threads that link the episodes until it all comes together isn't the focus until like the very end.

Anytime the "would be better animated" thing comes up I think it's because of worries about budget and scale, getting something on screen that looks like what you see in your head. The Witcher did a great job and am pretty excited for Wheel of Time, though I would really like to see what their trollocs look like.

Magic on TV in Wheel of Time, like I don't think they need to show magic being weaved and poo poo, like have a scene early on where Moraine is explaining it, show a close up of her eyes and pan to show then some CG magic color threads weaving themselves together but beyond that just show a goddamn pillar of flame popping out of nowhere roasting that trolloc, done.

Also maybe once in a while show one of the characters discovering or learning a story-relevant weave just to keep the flavor.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

That works for visible stuff like explosions, sure. But, like, there was that duel between Nynaeve and Moghedien that was basically them just standing in a room glaring at each other for five minutes. There's plenty of times where it doesn't look like anything's even happening if you can't see the weaves.

How are u
May 19, 2005

by Azathoth
Show weaves sometimes when it would be necessary and cool, other times just show poo poo exploding.

I think a modern audience will be able to keep up, it's not that big a lift.

Affi
Dec 18, 2005

Break bread wit the enemy

X GON GIVE IT TO YA

Colonel Cool posted:

That works for visible stuff like explosions, sure. But, like, there was that duel between Nynaeve and Moghedien that was basically them just standing in a room glaring at each other for five minutes. There's plenty of times where it doesn't look like anything's even happening if you can't see the weaves.

They can do that well and easy with music, lighting and good actors.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Colonel Cool posted:

And of course Aviendha picking apart a portal and aes sedai screaming "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING OH MY GOD FFFFFFFF" I love that scene :3:

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

ONE YEAR LATER posted:

I watched the pilot for Andromeda a few months ago, just because I'd missed that when it was airing and thought there was a slim chance it was watchable, at least to revisit the first season or two.

What struck me most was the pre-Interstellar black hole. I mean, I guess it was fine for TV, fine for back then, it's just, well. You know.

For channeling, I want them to follow the PoV. Weaves are invisible unless we're closely following someone who could see them. Effects are as visible as they are. I think it could work well, following the structure of the first couple books: initially, no weaves are seen, only Moiraine having magic powers. As Nynaeve and Egwene learn, particularly once they're in the Tower, then you see the weaves.

Essentially, I'm thinking: whether they can be seen or not depends on who the audience should be identifying with in a scene. Anything at the White Tower, they're visible. Any part of the story following Perrin or Mat, not. Build it into the visual language of the show. In mixed scenes, show weaves in one cut, not in the next, depending on who they want to emphasize that cut. At Dumai's Wells, Rand can see what's going on, but the Aes Sedai can't and that's scary for them.

I think I might be advocating for maximum restraint, though, and I don't know how likely that is.

Pander posted:

There's a lot of good ways to do it, so naturally that means it's gonna end up looking like a live action dragonball Z show, doesn't it?
Yeah.

fake edit:

silvergoose posted:

And of course Aviendha picking apart a portal and aes sedai screaming "WHAT THE gently caress ARE YOU DOING OH MY GOD FFFFFFFF" I love that scene :3:
God, that has to be there, that moment is so great. "NEVER EVER DO THAT" "what it's fine, you just have to be careful." "IT'S THE MOST DANGEROUS THING." "I come from the Three-Fold Land and have a much better tolerance for danger than you."

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

silvergoose posted:

Followed by like a year of the Seanchan going "gently caress when are they going to bust out that ungodly weapon again..."

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Pleads posted:

Followed by like a year of the Seanchan going "gently caress when are they going to bust out that ungodly weapon again..."

No no, that was when Elayne tried to do it and failed miserably.

In retrospect, maybe a sign.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

people have talked about the Witcher but actually the model should probably be the Magicians

which only has a SyFy budget, not a netflix/amazon one, but still makes routine, extremely common magic look fine

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

silvergoose posted:

No no, that was when Elayne tried to do it and failed miserably.

In retrospect, maybe a sign.

Elayne is the embodiment of failing forward.

ONE YEAR LATER
Apr 13, 2004

Fry old buddy, it's me, Bender!
Oven Wrangler

PlushCow posted:

They weren't talking about the structure, some people straight up said the costuming looked like a Hercules episode. Obviously there's some exaggerating going on but even with a giant spoonful of salt I don't think that's a fair comparison.

Anyway I just wanna see some tall redheads stab goatfaced men with spears, if I can get that I'll be happy.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

eke out posted:

people have talked about the Witcher but actually the model should probably be the Magicians

which only has a SyFy budget, not a netflix/amazon one, but still makes routine, extremely common magic look fine

i'd forgotten about that, the magicians show actually does a decent job of portraying the magic done. i mean, ultimately there's weird gestures and stuff every now and then that'll look unnatural no matter what, but nothing ever really stuck out to me as being hokey or awful-looking, and this is a setting where people can do pretty much near-anything with magic along the lines of wheel of time.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I just realized

Gonna be a shitload of wheel of time memes aren't there

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Colonel Cool posted:

This has the potential to be great, it's going to be like a huge season-ending special-effects boss-fight extravaganza from the POVs of the two participants, lasting like ten minutes with magic and lights and streamers flying everywhere, and in the middle of it there'll be a single cut to the "outsider's POV" of like a museum docent or janitor or someone wandering in who just sees these two women standing in the middle of the floor gritting their teeth at each other, maybe with some quiet muzak playing

Then it cuts back to NUCLEAR HELLMAGIC AAAAAAAAA

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE
Aug 1, 2004

College Slice

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just realized

First one will be a gif of the girls pulling braids while the boys run around on fire in the background, but with the real actors

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

Data Graham posted:

This has the potential to be great, it's going to be like a huge season-ending special-effects boss-fight extravaganza from the POVs of the two participants, lasting like ten minutes with magic and lights and streamers flying everywhere, and in the middle of it there'll be a single cut to the "outsider's POV" of like a museum docent or janitor or someone wandering in who just sees these two women standing in the middle of the floor gritting their teeth at each other, maybe with some quiet muzak playing

Then it cuts back to NUCLEAR HELLMAGIC AAAAAAAAA

i have to admit, i pretty much already have experience with this sort of thing given that jojo's bizarre adventure outright has a thing where stands (manifestations of power that have specific abilities) can only be seen by users of them the vast majority of the time, so sometimes an onlooker is just utterly clueless as two people shuffle around or get knocked through the air despite seemingly mostly grunting and glaring at each other for a time.

it has the potential to be funny as hell if they pull something like that off in the wheel of time show.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

We’ll see how popular it gets. I have a feeling it’ll be mediocre cause it doesn’t have the good political stuff GoT had. Aim low and be pleasantly surprised.

Colonel Cool
Dec 24, 2006

I do wonder if they'll keep all of the female characters more or less unchanged personality-wise or not.

Pander
Oct 9, 2007

Fear is the glue that holds society together. It's what makes people suppress their worst impulses. Fear is power.

And at the end of fear, oblivion.

Invalid Validation posted:

We’ll see how popular it gets. I have a feeling it’ll be mediocre cause it doesn’t have the good political stuff GoT had. Aim low and be pleasantly surprised.
I think a ton is gonna ride on how well rand's actor. The longevity of interest in the show is gonna rest on how compelling he makes the descent into saidin poisoned insanity.

The Glumslinger
Sep 24, 2008

Coach Nagy, you want me to throw to WHAT side of the field?

Hair Elf

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I just realized

There already are

https://www.reddit.com/r/WetlanderHumor/

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Mat's conversation with Setalle Anan in Towers of Midnight: Chapter 52 (Boots) is loving fantastic, goddamnit.

He describes boots for like 8 paragraphs and then she drops some high-level political analysis on him that fits perfectly and he's just like, "What? No, just boots, woman!"

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I enjoy one of the Forsaken, Moridin maybe, being like eh they got the Bowl of the Winds sure but you need like 50 of them to alter continental weather then the Sea Folk being like yeah no we actually had to learn to do this poo poo so we are really loving good at it and this thing just amplifies it, get rekt idiot

Actually pretty much every scene where the Forsaken go THEY DID WHAT?! owns

Ramadu
Aug 25, 2004

2015 NFL MVP

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

I enjoy one of the Forsaken, Moridin maybe, being like eh they got the Bowl of the Winds sure but you need like 50 of them to alter continental weather then the Sea Folk being like yeah no we actually had to learn to do this poo poo so we are really loving good at it and this thing just amplifies it, get rekt idiot

I think there was a good scene with moghieden or grandael just muttering to themselves about "this light cursed age" and all the weird poo poo people had thought up. I think it ends with them being jealous that Nynaeve healed stilling.

rndmnmbr
Jul 3, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Even better was the same scene, watching as Aviendha unwove the gateway, and Moridin's response was basically "Holy loving poo poo I was within eyesight of ground center, better play the lotto today because I am the luckiest motherfucker in Randland, what the gently caress are these people THINKING?!

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
Thinking that "the primitives" couldn't possibly come up with anything new was like the main weakness all the forsaken had. That and constant infighting.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

bloom posted:

Thinking that "the primitives" couldn't possibly come up with anything new was like the main weakness all the forsaken had. That and constant infighting.

It really fit with their personalities though. WE ARE NUMBER ONE FROM THE SMARTEST AGE EVER AND OH gently caress WHAT ARE YOU DOING

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Oh and like..... 5? 6? Of them falling prey to the villain's main weakness of fighting the one person who can kill them. Although I guess Be'lal gets a pass on that one since he was wrecking Rand's poo poo?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

And for the triple post, Moghedien's enormous hate-boner for Nynaeve is amazing. She was so drat sure she had her beat when she reveals herself in TSR and just cannot loving deal with someone beating her when she springs one of her ~impeccable traps~

Patrat
Feb 14, 2012

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

Oh and like..... 5? 6? Of them falling prey to the villain's main weakness of fighting the one person who can kill them. Although I guess Be'lal gets a pass on that one since he was wrecking Rand's poo poo?

To be fair, in at least a few cases they did not get much choice. Later on they were prone to suffering mishaps due to Rand teleporting in with a highly trained murder squad specifically to kill them.

TURTLE SLUT
Dec 12, 2005

I think with a limited budget the way to go with a lot of the magic stuff and especially EotW ending would be getting all artsy / trippy with it. Intense disorientating sound effects, simple visual metaphors like drowning, being hit by waves, angelic choruses, walls of fire, etc, and intentionally editing it so that it all seems to happen out of nowhere and that the real world seems insignificant when all this One Power poo poo is happening.

Eventually with routine magic you can build a simple visual language to show what's going on, like cut to a rosebud opening when a character is trying to embrace saidar, or something. I imagine any CGI "flows" they do will look silly and should be really rare.

Of course you need a good director and editor for this.

Also, lots of dramatic arm and finger movement. Except, yeah, for Nynaeve vs. Moghedien.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Pleads posted:

Mat's conversation with Setalle Anan in Towers of Midnight: Chapter 52 (Boots) is loving fantastic, goddamnit.

He describes boots for like 8 paragraphs and then she drops some high-level political analysis on him that fits perfectly and he's just like, "What? No, just boots, woman!"

Honestly probably the singular funniest moment in the entire series for me.

Setalle: "Oh I see, you're using boots as a clever metaphor for responsibilties"
Matrim: ???????

bloom posted:

That and constant infighting.

The constant plotting and scheming against one another is what makes me dislike them as Baddies so much :( Like drat if you fucks weren't so drat selfish maybe you'd actually be scary.

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I like the idea of the forsaken failing because of their colossal arrogance but the books did kinda go too far with it.

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

VAGENDA OF MANOCIDE posted:

First one will be a gif of the girls pulling braids while the boys run around on fire in the background, but with the real actors

If they haven't already made something like that, but just waiting until the buildup to the release to put it out I'll be disappointed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Also Moghedien's constant self-justifying of the fact that she is an abject coward is hilarious