Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Hav posted:

Interesting; so an extension of the old alpha and bump mapping by using more layers of the gradient.

Haven't done anything like this in anger since my entirely legitimate copy of Lightwave was being used to produce equipment mockups for the sales guys. 1994-ish.

Yeah but specifically each layer is also a different angle. So the red channel is like, the angle from above, the blue channel is the angle from the X axis, and so on.

That's how normal maps let you have hard edges and lips on things instead of where bump maps everything was smoothly interpolated between the height values. Same concept but smarter, more advanced.

Here's an example because why not

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Hav posted:

Interesting; so an extension of the old alpha and bump mapping by using more layers of the gradient.

Haven't done anything like this in anger since my entirely legitimate copy of Lightwave was being used to produce equipment mockups for the sales guys. 1994-ish.

chris is that you?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sanya Juutilainen posted:

Meanwhile in development teams that actually don't understand development:

- Warframe (Digital Extremes, 2013) as F2P is in Top12 top grossing Steam games for 2019
- Planet ZOO (FDev, 2019) is in Top40
- Stellaris (Paradox Interactive, 2016) is in Top40
- Planet Coaster and Jurassic park: Evo (FDev, 2016 and 2018) are in Top100
- Astroneer (System Era Softworks, 2016) is in Top100
- NMS (Hello Games, 2016) is in Top100
- Subnautica: BZ (Unknown Worlds Entertainment, EA) is in Top100
- RimWorld (Ludeon Studios, 2018) is in Top100

To clarify, Top12 likely means gross revenues over 200M (estimated from Total War sales which released in May), and even the lowest tiers of Top100 mean millions of revenue, for the games listed likely above ten millions at least. Clearly space games (or in FDev's case funding of space games in 2019 and future, listed it purely for Elite) are dead.

Source: https://store.steampowered.com/sale/2019_top_sellers

For some reason, this comparison (and notably the logical extension where those companies actually manage to turn a net profit as opposed to CI¬G's desperate need for ever greater whales and investors and other non-backing sources) reminded me of this old gem from Conspiracy of Fools:

ENRON executives posted:

“That's not the point,” Mark replied. “We need to keep investing to grow as fast as possible. Merrill Lynch says our valuation is all about EBITDA, not earnings.”

EBITDA. A fancy Wall Street term for profits, with all of the financial expenses removed. It stood for “earnings before interest, taxes, depreciation, and amortization.” Steady growth in EBITDA could be a sign of future strong profits, but not if it was accomplished by manufacturing full, after-tax losses.

Lay couldn't believe what he was hearing. Was Mark really arguing that the deeper into a hole she got, the better off the company would be?

“Rebecca, that doesn't make any sense,” he said. “Surely you understand that if you put capital into projects with returns that are below the cost of that capital, ultimately you're goin to go bankrupt.”
“This is what Merrill tells me is the way things are around this industry,” Mark replied. “We have to grow EBITDA. That's all that matter.”

This is ludicrous! “So the more money you lose, the more valuable you are?” Skilling said. “That's nuts!”

Mark stuck to her guns. Investors wanted EBITDA growth, she insisted. That would make the stock price go up. Azurix needed to keep buying water assets so that it could grow EBITDA.

Skilling wanted to pull out his hair. “Rebecca, Merrill doesn't mean grow EBITDA by creating losses! They assume nobody would do that! I mean, why not sell junk debt at 12 percent and use the cash to buy government bonds? You'll get plenty of EBITDA, but you'll lose big money for every dollar of EBITDA you get!”

Mark didn't give an inch. “Our bankers tell us we have to grow EBITDA. That's what investors are looking for.”
History repeats itself…

UnknownTarget posted:

I gotta ask - why is the physics grid thing so challenging/innovative?
It's neither. Nothing CI¬G does is particularly challenging, and definitely not innovative. I've posted this elsewhere, but it's worth repeating here as well to illustrate what a small team of not-particularly-senior competent developers can create, and how they've managed to solve a large portion of the huge stumbling blocks for SC:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LbY0mBXKKT0

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

peter gabriel posted:

chris is that you?

My renders would bring all the boys to the yard. I could teach you, but I'd need a license.

Baxta
Feb 18, 2004

Needs More Pirate

UnknownTarget posted:

Yea, it seems to me like the better option would be to actually create a low-fidelity gravity model, create attractor plates and then kind of go from there. It seems like the volume-based approach is clunky and ends up causing a lot of other issues. I've played Children of a Dead Earth recently and it's definitely possible to do fully simulated gravity equations, though it occasionally slows down a lot.

I'm glad to get so many answers to my question. It always seemed like they were basically recreating physics volumes from Unreal Tournament 1 but I wasn't sure if there was something I was missing.

You definitely do need some sort of physics simulation per-ship for player entities, weapons, etc. Carrying cargo is unbelievably stupid and if they had had a proper alpha where they tested the idea I'm sure they'd have chopped that early.

In areas that I am an expert in, one thing that SC did do well was how they integrated normal-mapped decals. They really have innovated on hard-surface modeling and you can see a lot of great stuff coming from their artists on ArtStation. Basically a normal-mapped decal is a small poly you can place over top of a hard metal surface to get the illusion of a metal indent or extrusion. IIRC Star Citizen was the first or one of the first to use it in a production pipeline.

EDIT: Here's some more info:
https://polycount.com/discussion/155894/decal-technique-from-star-citizen

That being said, the biggest red flag to me has always been how they talked about repairing parts of the ship or whatever. By building out their assets in their entirety first, they definitely would need to roll back and fix stuff at the model end. Since every ship is clearly bespoke in their functionality and programming, this means that not only will the art asset need to be updated but everything will need to be re-tied to that new asset.

I can't imagine working with those assets, they must be absolute nightmares to update and change.

You can rip the assets out via various means. I did it a couple years ago for funsies and it made blender poo poo itself but after a bit of tinkering I got it into Unity and into a scene. I vaguely remember the polygon count for the freelancer being in the millions or something stupid but that could have been the hack job I did.

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

A couple million pokies makes sense. It's less about the poly limit these days and more about the material shaders. GPUs can push a mind boggling amount of polies thru but each shader adds a draw call (hey, GPU, render this part of the frame). Reflections, effects, reflections of effects etc. stack really quickly and are harder to calculate so they suck up most resources. For example, if you have a transparent window, that's a draw call. The materials behind that window are a draw call. Then the GPU has to combine all those layers using a calculated depth map. All of this has overhead, whereas I regularly work with millions of polies in my 3d viewport in real time because shading effects aren't applied to them or if they are it's lightweight (somehow).

Edit: I'll admit that I'm not super confident in my understanding of the Rendering pipeline. Whenever I want a refresher, the best source on the internet for the layman is Render Hell:

https://simonschreibt.de/gat/renderhell/

On the normal map thing, here's a cool video that shows how the color of the map dictates the 3d vector that the light uses, demonstrated with the 3d lighting tools in Photoshop:

https://youtu.be/EDoBwchJ6Vc

UnknownTarget fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jan 2, 2020

zcrow
May 6, 2014

Ah.. yeah... um... tup tup tup tup tup.. this is something we'll add down the line
Iirc, Creative Assembly did the whole mid-poly geo and mesh decal thing first for Alien Isolation.

Strangler 42
Jan 8, 2007

SHAVE IT ALL OFF
ALL OF IT
So what fun do we have to look forward to in 2020? Anything fun happening in the Crytek lawsuit? Is Squadron 42 still expected by the end of June? Any important filings that need to be combed over? Big milestones like 300 million dollars in "crowdfunding" ?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Strangler 42 posted:

So what fun do we have to look forward to in 2020? Anything fun happening in the Crytek lawsuit? Is Squadron 42 still expected by the end of June? Any important filings that need to be combed over? Big milestones like 300 million dollars in "crowdfunding" ?

Fun is not yet implemented, no, no, no, no.

BumbleOne
Jul 1, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
maybe we will see the implosion of cloud emporium in 2020

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

The idea of fidelity in Star Citizen is laughable. They don't even have proper Newtonian physics. Everything is scaled wrong. Space has fake friction, ships seem to ignore gravity near planets, probably because Croberts himself is a loving moron who once said in a presentation that gravity is much weaker 50km above the surface of an Earth-sized planet.

I supposed it's fidelitous to WW2 in space with aether.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

eXXon posted:

The idea of fidelity in Star Citizen is laughable. They don't even have proper Newtonian physics. Everything is scaled wrong. Space has fake friction, ships seem to ignore gravity near planets, probably because Croberts himself is a loving moron who once said in a presentation that gravity is much weaker 50km above the surface of an Earth-sized planet.

t-the ship's computers prevent you from accelerating f-for safety!!!!

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Fargin Icehole posted:

I made a post awhile back about seemingly failed kickstarters and was rebuked by plenty of great examples.

Thinking about it some more I was primarily focused on video games that we're headed by a known name in the industry. If we use this criteria, the only one I can think of would be Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained?

I personally played this one and had a shitload of fun and felt that it was worth the wait. It had regular updates, a side mini game that is an actual game and it's basically Castlevania 3 with modern mechanics.

Who else is on the list of popular industry developers and producers?

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No. 9 was pretty disappointing, with it's legendary mismanagement being more interesting than the game itself.

Julian Gollop of X-Com Fame's Phoenix Point, same thing.

Yu Suzuki's Shenmue 3 just makes me want to play Yakuza instead.

Richard Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar has already been covered here and in the MMO thread, it's a horribly mismanaged flop.

I'm sure there is a name or two I missed but they can't hold a candle to star citizen.

The cream of the crop is Chris Roberts,who accidentally turned the game into a religion for it's fans and only had concepts and demos desguised as already functional mechanics in a video game and people fell for it. Hell, I almost fell for it back in early 2013.

You can add the spiritual sequel to the Space Quest series to the list of sort-of known devs who disappointed. It's not even finished, as far as I know, and it should have been done years ago.

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
SC is so accurate it models Goons inability to body weight squat more than 10 times before suffering a heart attack.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Popete posted:

SC is so accurate it models Goons inability to body weight squat more than 10 times before suffering a heart attack.

9 is enough for any man. Devil take the decimal squatter and all who sail in her.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Hav posted:

9 is enough for any man. Devil take the decimal squatter and all who sail in her.

Are you talking about The Titanic? :ohdear:

TheDeadlyShoe
Feb 14, 2014

pretense is my co-pilot

eXXon posted:

The flight model is definably an area where they've straight up dumped fidelity. Ships having straight up preset flight performance instead of derived is pathetic when there are games out there like Empyrion or Space Engineers that use entirely derived flight performance on arbitrarily-designed ships. Not that it matters if they never actually implement damage on their ships properly. Though I guess they correctly assumed there was no point until they finish refactoring everything (lol).

Inspector Gesicht
Oct 26, 2012

500 Zeus a body.

Bloodstained succeeds as a ten-hour Castlevania with a twenty-hour crafting game on top of that.

I hated the space-flight in Outer Wilds at first until I grasped that you have to match the velocity of the body you want to land on, and every body has a gravitational-pull you want to attach to like a fridge-magnet. While it's not the first seamless open-world game made on Unity I've played (Subnautica) it stands as extremely well optimised given it has so many moving parts across it's solar-system.

Meanwhile on SC you can't run up a ramp without it shivering.

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Bofast posted:

You can add the spiritual sequel to the Space Quest series to the list of sort-of known devs who disappointed. It's not even finished, as far as I know, and it should have been done years ago.

TBCF one of the guys got sick and hasn't been able to work on it and they're super out of money so it's just them getting whatever they can done around supporting themselves. I'm not sure how I feel about this ultimately, however.

Also they haven't doubled down on asking for more money or w/e yet

EDIT:

Also The Megatokyo fundraiser is still nowhere to be seen, and Pathfinder Online is limping along still technically not canceled cause there's literally one programmer who puts out a patch about once a quarter or so. Every once in a while the CEO says something about how it's her fave project, but PF has enough issues trying to release version 2 for a community built up around their hatred of new versions of things.

Also don't forget Brad Mcquaid's various ... things.

SoftNum fucked around with this message at 02:15 on Jan 3, 2020

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

SoftNum posted:

TBCF one of the guys got sick and hasn't been able to work on it and they're super out of money so it's just them getting whatever they can done around supporting themselves. I'm not sure how I feel about this ultimately, however.

Their pick for narrator died in 2015 as well. SpaceVenture is the dark comedy version of Star Citizen, and i greet the missed deadlines more like old friends than get mad about it.

Bofast
Feb 21, 2011

Grimey Drawer

SoftNum posted:

Yeah, I don't blame them for running into the hard realities of life, but as far as I know they didn't even mention one of them being away from the project until something like 6-12 months after the fact. They could have just dropped an update saying something like "Guy 1 has suffered some health problems and is currently away from the project for a while. Because of this there will be some delays, but we are still working on it". I obviously don't expect details on what he contracted, just an update that he did that isn't a year late.
Them running out of money seems like a pretty common problem with Kickstarter devs who are used to having someone else (Sierra, in this case) keeping an eye on them in the past or who just ask for too little money to actually make the thing they plan to make.

It just kind of sucks for everyone involved that we don't even know if they can ever finish the game or not. :(

NoMas
Oct 2, 2013

Man Moth!?
I remember when a mod here banned someone for insulting Sandis business acumen

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

eXXon posted:

Heh looks like those imitators at Microsoft were so inspired by Star Citizen's snow effects and cityscapes, they had to come up with their own Tier 0 implementation for Flight Simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQFmpakz9Yo

Fargin Icehole
Feb 19, 2011

Pet me.

Bofast posted:

I also grew up playing the space quest series! I remember that one, "Two guys from Andromeda".

What the hell happened to it?

Fargin Icehole fucked around with this message at 05:28 on Jan 3, 2020

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Bubbacub posted:

Heh looks like those imitators at Microsoft were so inspired by Star Citizen's snow effects and cityscapes, they had to come up with their own Tier 0 implementation for Flight Simulator.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQFmpakz9Yo

Yeah but can you get up and walk to the passenger cabin of your plane and serve a Hairy Roberts via complex drink mixing mechanics? I think not. Obviously it’s just another poo poo tier low fidelity game from a big publisher.

colonelwest fucked around with this message at 08:12 on Jan 3, 2020

SoftNum
Mar 31, 2011

Fargin Icehole posted:

I also free up playing the space quest series! I remember that one, "Two guys from Andromeda".

What the hell happened to it?

It's been almost done for like 2 years or something (supposedly).

They haven't posted in 6 months and only posted twice in all of 2019.

DigitalPenny
Sep 3, 2018

TheDeadlyShoe posted:

The flight model is definably an area where they've straight up dumped fidelity. Ships having straight up preset flight performance instead of derived is pathetic when there are games out there like Empyrion or Space Engineers that use entirely derived flight performance on arbitrarily-designed ships. Not that it matters if they never actually implement damage on their ships properly. Though I guess they correctly assumed there was no point until they finish refactoring everything (lol).

Once upon a time it all worked, you could take the missiles off and accelerate faster etc. This is when they had good Devs setting out to make the BDSE.

They quietly dropped this for two reasons

First when it's all simulation you spend 100's of hours getting a ship to handle right, things like the location of thursters, force and weight really matter. Having some twat in black turtle neck say I want to make the hortnet 30% longer because I think it would be cooler ruins all the hard work.

Second when they developed all the ships for a hard core single player sim, having to transmit the ship simulation to 49 a other players was not a requirement. Chris knows best and we copy paste our sq42 assets into the *MMO" and you had a 2.x patch where you would be downloading like 5mbs when other players on the sever. As you needed constant updates on every gimbled thursters.

To address this they threw all the simulation work in the bin and the no clip model was born. Every dev working on it quit or got moved on.

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Hav posted:

They're not actually creating anything, they're utilizing and extending. We're not actually sure if they're up to date on the Lumberyard core because it did appear at one point they were modifying the core engine rather than extending it.

They are not even using Lumberyard, Lumberyard is forked from Cryengine a few versions after the version of Cryengine that SC uses. Chris argues that the lumberyard license allows him to use that version of Cryengine without paying Crytech any more in licensing.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

ggangensis posted:

Afaik CIG is on CryEngine 3 (initial release oct. 2009), which might explain this:

There was some picture showing when Lumberyard was branched off and where Star Citizen stands, but I`am pretty sure they are stuck on a version without Raytracing features. Can't find the picture, though.
In a way CIG can be happy that the general pace of graphics development seems to have slowed down quite a bit compared to the 90s, this buys Chris some time.
I remember the passage from Masters of Doom where Romero saw the colored lighting in Quake 2 which convinced him an engine change was necessary. Those fundamental industry changing improvements won't happen to Chris, so he is just concerned with crossing off bullet points. Some half-assed raytracing implementation is enough for them. The Vulkan renderer they talked about? Just put in some implementation that`s worse than the D3D one, just so he can say they have it. Business as usual in SC-land.

You're right.

I was outlining the irony of CIG cutting ties with Crytek, when Crytek seem to be enabling more and more functionality with Cryengine, to try and stay relevant, whereby CIG are stuck with an outdated branch.

Rugganovich
Apr 29, 2017

Sarsapariller posted:

I have to ask, because I really don't understand- the bug report system has been out and in use for like, four years now. To the best of my knowledge, like six bugs have actually been reported "Fixed" in the system in that time- literally six out of tens of thousands reported. I mean, it's not like the game gets any visible fixes to long standing issues- or if it does, they have no regression testing, because poo poo gets broken again the very next patch.

Is there any evidence that CIG actually looks at or interacts with the bug reports in any way? Is it literally just a hole marked "Complaints?" People are actually still diligently trying to format correctly worded bug reports, spending their real time reproducing errors, and then filling out forms to submit to this site. Are they doing all that in the full knowledge that no human being has ever actually bothered to loving look at any of it, and never will?

If that is the case... I don't know that I've ever seen a community quite as stupid as Star Citizen's fan base.

I wrote a list of ideas on how to improve the whole reporting system when it was first created, (circa 2015) as to me at the time it reminded me of the office "ideas box", that the manager would empty into the bin once a week.

Strangely that post never got any feedback either.

I wonder if they are still considering my fantastic ideas?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Rugganovich posted:

You're right.

I was outlining the irony of CIG cutting ties with Crytek, when Crytek seem to be enabling more and more functionality with Cryengine, to try and stay relevant, whereby CIG are stuck with an outdated branch.

Yeah, as you've put it, it seems like an interesting constant in CRs life. First he pisses off MS (effectively booting him from Freelancer development), after that, Kevin Costner (basically booting him from Hollywood) and now he pissed of CryTek, possible the only people on the planet that could at least somewhat salvage their "StarEngine" by throwing away everything CIG did and redo it within sane architectural limits.
But yeah, probably even that would only delay the inevitable, that whole idea of the highly fidelitious PU is destined to fail since it's inception. It`s just a vehicle to sell jpegs.

Mu77ley
Oct 14, 2016

Fargin Icehole posted:

Julian Gollop of X-Com Fame's Phoenix Point, same thing.

Phoenix Point is actually extremely good.

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

I know that poo poo takes ages to ever see a courtroom in the US but are they still in the "pay obscene amounts of money to keep making new filings that delay discovery" phase or has the court case moved at all?

Also what did CIG gain by breaking their contract with crytek? Did they get an injection of funding from Amazon or did they just hope they'd be able to stop paying license fees to crytek and stop some of the bleeding

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Speaking of spacecourt

idk what it means, are Crytek voluntarily dismissing the lawsuit?

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

Daztek posted:

Speaking of spacecourt

idk what it means, are Crytek voluntarily dismissing the lawsuit?

Joint STIPULATION to Continue Trial and Related Dates and Regarding Briefing Schedule for Plaintiff's Motion to Dismiss Voluntarily filed by Defendants Cloud Imperium Games Corp., Roberts Space Industries Corp.(Goldman, Jeremy)
https://docdro.id/t4uERy1

Att: 1 Proposed Order
https://docdro.id/alz5usW

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

quote:

During a telephone conference regarding settlement on December 4, 2019, counsel for Crytek noted that in addition to settlement, it was considering a motion to dismiss based on CIG’s recently served objections and responses to Crytek’s Interrogatories.

Then, on or about December 11, 2019, Crytek’s counsel indicated to CIG’s counsel during a meet and confer that, based on CIG’s responses to certain written discovery, which Crytek contends revealed new information regarding the ripeness of one of Crytek’s existing claims, Crytek wished to voluntarily dismiss its claims against CIG without prejudice, with the intention of re-filing the suit against CIG following the release of Squadron 42 by CIG.

The parties met and conferred to discuss the terms of a stipulated dismissal, but they were unable to reach an agreement. Crytek intends to file a motion to dismiss the case without prejudice (the “Motion to Dismiss”) and CIG intends to oppose the Motion to Dismiss.

What a twist. I guess as long as Squadron 42 isn't released, there isn't a reason to sue them lol

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

Even Crytek knows there ain't no blood in this stone

Sandweed
Sep 7, 2006

All your friends are me.

Mu77ley posted:

Phoenix Point is actually extremely good.

How do I avoid the difficulty bump when all the enemies start having insane armor? A full squad barely takes down one enemy in a turn while their troops can kill my dudes in one attack.

jarlywarly
Aug 31, 2018

Daztek posted:

What a twist. I guess as long as Squadron 42 isn't released, there isn't a reason to sue them lol

cue victory laps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kikas
Oct 30, 2012

Daztek posted:

Well then they will loving never get sued lol