Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

Eliza being outside of the top 75 is the biggest voting upset I’ve ever seen

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
All right, folks. This is it, this is the start of our countdown. We’ve got a long day of excitement ahead of us so let’s not get too worked up just yet. For the start, we're going to take things easy-breezy here at the bottom of the list as we look at hidden indie gems, standout games in niche genres and some classics from years past. So kick back, relax, put your feet up and let’s keep it chill as we start out with your #75.

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

The coziest game of the year.

The 7th Guest posted:

See that mountain in the distance? You can go there.

75. A SHORT HIKE (ADAMGRYU)
17 points, listed 4 times

Ahhh, have a little stretch, yes. Slide into that countdown groove. There, doesn’t that feel nice?

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
:f5: :five:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
At this point it behooves me to explain how ties are settled in this countdown. When two or more games score the same amount of points the placings are determined by the countback rule. Therefore whichever game was listed most at #1 takes the tiebreaker. If all games are equally tied for #1 spots this rolls back to #2 spots and so on. With that fully divulged let’s go ahead with your #74.

Mizuti posted:

All the content is here, it's so big and polished and thorough that it's unbelievable.

Panic Restaurant posted:

Everyone is here, and they loving mean it!

74. SUPER SMASH BROS ULTIMATE (NINTENDO)
17 points, listed 2 times, #1 spot 1 time
2nd year in countdown

Smash continues to go from strength to strength with another fantastic year of roster announcement including Sans and Banjo/Kazooie. Now just put in Cooking Mama and you’ll definitely be back in the top 10, Sakuraba.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
If I had made a list of games I watched the most of this year, it'd definitely be smash ultimate

Alpharad makes a whole lotta funny smash bros videos

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Queen Combat posted:

My ligaments!

Panic Restaurant posted:

Who doesn’t want to learn about puberty from Abobo?

73. RIVER CITY GIRLS (ARC SYSTEM WORKS)
18 points, listed 4 times, #1 spot 1 time

Well when you put it like that, Panic Restaurant, how could I say no?

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
This is what happens when you're only for Good Boys and Girls - you can't even crack the Top 73.

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

All right, folks. This is it, this is the start of our countdown. We’ve got a long day of excitement ahead of us so let’s not get too worked up just yet. For the start, we're going to take things easy-breezy here at the bottom of the list as we look at hidden indie gems, standout games in niche genres and some classics from years past. So kick back, relax, put your feet up and let’s keep it chill as we start out with your #75.

75. A SHORT HIKE (ADAMGRYU)
17 points, listed 4 times

Ahhh, have a little stretch, yes. Slide into that countdown groove. There, doesn’t that feel nice?

I like this game

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Rarity posted:

And this one

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Should I play A short Hike

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

Regy Rusty posted:

Should I play A short Hike

It's lovely and it made me cry

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

It’s short

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I'm sold

Senerio
Oct 19, 2009

Roëmænce is ælive!

Rarity posted:

Fun fact, Bimmy and Jimmy appearing in this game reminded me of VGCW and that's how I found out WVGCW is still going.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

VideoGames posted:

The only game to have completely transported me to another world.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Take some edibles and throw the VR headset on for this one.

72. TETRIS EFFECT (RESONAIR)
19 points, listed 3 times
2nd year in countdown

:toot: BEST VR GAME :toot:

It’s been a very quiet year for VR with no serious releases being in contention which allowed Tetris Effect to claim the title of best VR game for a second year in a row. As we look ahead to 2020 all eyes will be on Half-Life: Alyx to produce the killer app the platform’s been waiting for.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

VR's totally gonna take off any minute now tho guys

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Three games i voted for ended up not making the top 75. I can be pretty proud of that I think

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
There we are, a few entries down and I think I’m starting to get used to this countdown thing. How are you all doing out there? Seen anything that takes your fancy yet? It’s time for another overlooked gem now as we take a look at #71.

untzthatshit posted:

The setting is unique.

exquisite tea posted:

They have really crafted a breakthrough project here.

71. A PLAGUE TALE: INNOCENCE (ASOBO)

With undeniable style and a unique setting A Plague Tale: Innocence has marked Asobo as a name to watch for the future.

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

fridge corn posted:

Three games i voted for ended up not making the top 75. I can be pretty proud of that I think

I think there should be a special award for the person who put the most not-top-75 games in their list.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
I'm hype

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aw nice, Plague Tale's a good game.

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

I think there should be a special award for the person who put the most not-top-75 games in their list.

If I remember history correct there absolutely will be. Rarity is very thorough.

Phantasium
Dec 27, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

There's no point, it would just be Rarity winning it.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

At the end of the countdown we give out the Biggest Hipster award to whoever's list was most divergent from the rest of the field. I won it last year :)

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
Rarity, your posts truly slay. :rock:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ShallNoiseUpon posted:

Sounds sorta like Journey but cuter and I'm in for a nice little meditative game that makes me cry

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

CongRATs Plague Tale! The soundtrack is also super underrated and really adds to the ratmosphere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bjF1WbrJLmo

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Rarity posted:

At the end of the countdown we give out the Biggest Hipster award to whoever's list was most divergent from the rest of the field. I won it last year :)

Is there also an award for the person whose votes aligned the most with the final results? That could be pretty funny to know too

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

RIP Life is Strange 2 I wish I had put it on my list

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Harrow posted:

Is there also an award for the person whose votes aligned the most with the final results? That could be pretty funny to know too

There sure is!

---

Jay Rust posted:

Every line of text in the game is well-written.

Khanstant posted:

It could go toe-to-toe with some of the ancient classics.

Ferrosol posted:

In a world where Disco Elysium didn't exist I would have called this my favourite RPG of the year.

70. PILLARS OF ETERNITY II: DEADFIRE (OBSIDIAN)
2nd year in countdown

Shush, Ferrosol! It’s far too soon to be evoking that name just yet. This is the chill part of the countdown after all.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rarity posted:

Maybe do second biggest hipster too then for people who don't exclusively play games on a 10 year delay :v:

Cluncho McChunk
Aug 16, 2010

An informational void capable only of creating noise

drat Rarity, putting in so much work, good stuff! Looking forward to seeing the top contenders!

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
It's up to 12 years now :negative:

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!
Already a couple games I wished I played this year and a couple that were in my top 10 last year

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

Rarity posted:

It's up to 12 years now :negative:

*shakes fist at WoW Classic*

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
And now it’s time to discover which game you selected to be your #69. Nice.

Samuringa posted:

A really satisfying feeling that you truly are helping the people around you.

professor metis posted:

I love being a teen girl finding her own way in the world.

cheetah7071 posted:

This game is the pinnacle of bright, happy JRPGs.

69. ATELIER MERURU: THE APPRENTICE OF ARLAND (GUST)
20 points, listed 3 times, #1 spot 1 time

You did it, cheetah! You dog darn did it!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

If I love JRPGs but tend not to go in for "everything is just cute all the time" aesthetics, should I play the Atelier games?

I think I played the first Atelier Iris way back in the day but I don't have clear memories of it since I was playing just about any JRPG I could get my hands on back then.

Samuringa
Mar 27, 2017

Best advice I was ever given?

"Ticker, you'll be a lot happier once you stop caring about the opinions of a culture that is beneath you."

I learned my worth, learned the places and people that matter.

Opened my eyes.
the true first place

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Me, an extremely manly man, after playing Atelier

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
An Atelier game breaks into the main countdown and cheetah's not even here to celebrate :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

exquisite tea posted:

An incredibly realized and painstakingly detailed world.

VideoGames posted:

I would never have expected to get sucked into a game like this, but I have!

Darke GBF posted:

The first time I shot through an open window to break a lock and chain keeping me out of the building I felt like a goddamn genius.

68. TOM CLANCY’S THE DIVISION 2 (MASSIVE)
21 points, listed 4 times

Despite talk of brand saturation it seems that you’re not done with the Tom Clancy name quite just yet.