Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

I just remembered Apollo works for WWE. What a sad waste.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fatherofmustard
May 15, 2018

Fandango is injured again.

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

Just finished reading that awesome writeup and jesus. They've butchered drat near everyone they called up. Also I apparently forgot a ton of the crap WWE did back when I was watching.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

TriffTshngo posted:

Pro Scoopsgal Rarity actually did a big writeup of every NXT callup since the debut of The Shield a few months ago. Despite the early ones being about a 50/50 ratio of Successes to Failures that's mostly going by everything they'd done up to 2019, back in 2014-15 a lot of those "Fails" were either considered successful or undetermined/somewhere in the middle. You can pretty easily spot the exact moment the quality of booking callups dropped off a cliff. Semi-related, that's about when I stopped watching WWE TV for good.

Short answer: Seth, Roman, Wyatt, KO, Corbin (unfortunately), Balor, Joe, Nakamura, Drew, and Andrade are all varying levels of important/credible, at least as much as you can be in WWE these days. Everyone else is a jobber dork or not on TV.

I'd say AOP and War Machine are doing ok but everyone in the tag division is inherently a jobber in WWE.

Out of that list, how many are actual Performance Center trainees without previous or even extensive wrestling elsewhere? Roman and Corbin? And Roman is of course born to wrestling so he's been steeped in it since birth, so that basically leaves Corbin. Baron Corbin is about the only true, purely WWE PC original with any meaningful main roster success.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Maybe Wyatt? I don't remember ever hearing about him doing anything before he showed up in original NXT as Husky Harris.

Kvantum
Feb 5, 2006
Skee-entist

TriffTshngo posted:

Maybe Wyatt? I don't remember ever hearing about him doing anything before he showed up in original NXT as Husky Harris.

He kinda would get looped in with the Roman "scion of a wrestling family" category if we really want to call him a true main roster "success". (I wish I could, but I don't.)

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

Kvantum posted:

He kinda would get looped in with the Roman "scion of a wrestling family" category if we really want to call him a true main roster "success". (I wish I could, but I don't.)

"Success" is a strange metric to try and quantify in modern WWE. Jinder Mahal was champion for 6 months. The Lana cucking stuff is apparently the main event angle happening on Raw now because the champion's never around, and god forbid you elevate Andrade. There's no real consistent measuring stick you can use anymore.

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters
Other people who I am pretty sure have never wrestled outside of the WWE system but have gone onto success would include Charlotte, the Usos, and Big E.

I think there's a lot of gray area here, in that people like Kofi Kingston or Sasha Banks or Otis or Velveteen Dream did not literally start wrestling under the WWE banner, but were plucked from relative obscurity in the first year or two of their career, and really developed into the persona/performer they are in a WWE ring.

Lumping people like that in with Asuka/Kevin Owens/Samoa Joe/AJ Styles/Finn Balor as "not homegrown talent" seems kind of insane to me.

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Wasn't his name originally Brick Goldberg?

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
What would people say is the most famous/iconic face turn in wrestling history?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

virgil

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

macho man reuniting with elizabeth if you can somehow ignore reality. I don't know

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Austin, maybe, but he was a babyface in all but name going into WM13

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Julio Cruz posted:

Andre turning heel in 87
Hogan at Bash at the Beach

Max Coveri
Dec 23, 2015

by Athanatos
Batista

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Davros1 posted:

Andre turning heel in 87
Hogan at Bash at the Beach

lol

Hogan's heel turn was loving amazing, then he went on one of the best heel runs of all time

AkumaHokoru
Jul 20, 2007
surprised shawn's barbershop window didnt come up yet

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
just checked and I definitely put "face" not "heel"

Pope Corky the IX
Dec 18, 2006

What are you looking at?
Probably because they only asked about face turns.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

Do returns count?

Triple H has made his career on being a heel, especially in 2000-2001 but his return in 2002 was loving amazing and everybody loved him and welcomed him back as the greatest hero ever.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

:hmmyes:

StupidSexyMothman
Aug 9, 2010

Julio Cruz posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DhKisE5000I

Not nearly as iconic, but one of my favorites:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZjIFYyCWS3g

e: poo poo forgot Andre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVieH5bMTCM
Andre was a fantastic seller.

StupidSexyMothman fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Jan 3, 2020

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Julio Cruz posted:

I don't know how it ranks on the lists, but the Mr Perfect turn after Heenan slapped him on Prime Time is loving incredible.

I feel like this is kind of a hard done. Face turns don't seem to have as much longevity as big moments as heel turns do in my head for some reason. Maybe because heel turns tend to happen because of the heel's actions and face turns tend to happen because of someone doing something to them or being saved by someone else.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!
That's what I was going to say.

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
I asked because there was a question in a quiz show which used Macho Man as a famous example of a heel-turned-face and I couldn't decide if he was the best example they could have used or not

whereas there are plenty of famous examples of faces-turned-heel, with Hogan probably the most iconic

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Anybody got a picture of Hogan's WCW contract?

CombineThresher
Apr 10, 2006

GIT R DONNE

Ric Flair and the Rock are pretty iconic heel-to-face turnarounds, and Terry Funk was great at both.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Julio Cruz posted:

just checked and I definitely put "face" not "heel"

Yeah, I read that wrong. Thought you were asking for one or the other.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Daniel Bryan turning on the Wyatt Family

The pipe bomb was in essence a face turn, regardless of how one feels about Punk now, and a great one

Also, Undertaker turning on Jake Robert's

"Whose side are you on, anyways?"

"NOT....YOURS....."

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Breitbart Is Rightbart posted:

Anybody got a picture of Hogan's WCW contract?

Benne
Sep 2, 2011

STOP DOING HEROIN
Robbie Eagles quitting the Bullet Club and finally joining Ospreay to pay off their two-year story was pretty great.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

I think the Savage Wrestlemania VII face turn is probably the biggest. Even if the reality of the situation was much uglier.
I would personally give it to Undertaker but that happened on a much smaller stage.

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD
what about that time big show turned face

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave
Jan 9, 2006

Popping up from out of nowhere...

El Gallinero Gros posted:

Daniel Bryan turning on the Wyatt Family

Maybe not the most iconic, but that pop made the WWE change direction (for a short period).

Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Seams posted:

what about that time big show turned face

Best face turn of the year (2001-2015).

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Wise Fwom Yo Gwave posted:

Maybe not the most iconic, but that pop made the WWE change direction (for a short period).

The imagery of him doing the YES taunt on top of the cage with 99.9% of the crowd doing it with him is something else. It's not as iconic as Batista because WWE didn't act fast enough because of arrogance (shocking, I know).

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

I don't remember it very well but there was an episode of RAW with HHH berating Cody and Ted. Everyone was begging them to just lay into HHH right there and they just.. didn't.

Speaking of, was Ted salvageable? I'm sure they expected him to be his father without the ten years of indie experience he had and you can't really make that up. I vaguely recall he had a legit glass jaw which amuses me.

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

Julio Cruz posted:

I asked because there was a question in a quiz show which used Macho Man as a famous example of a heel-turned-face and I couldn't decide if he was the best example they could have used or not

whereas there are plenty of famous examples of faces-turned-heel, with Hogan probably the most iconic

Elizabeth running into the ring and throwing Sherri down after Randy lost the career match, turning him face to end his Macho King run is one of the most effective face turns WWE ever did. People in the audience were crying when Randy embraced her, a thing WWE has rarely been able to do.

One of my personal favorites was Mark Henry coming out in a gauntlet match Orton was going through, and Orton thinking just like the previous guy that Henry will let himself get counted out - only for the ref to start counting, Mark grabbing his hand, and then wagging his finger while Randy just about shits himself like “oh god, I’m going to die.”

Seams
Feb 3, 2005

ROCK HARD

Admiral Joeslop posted:

I don't remember it very well but there was an episode of RAW with HHH berating Cody and Ted. Everyone was begging them to just lay into HHH right there and they just.. didn't.

Speaking of, was Ted salvageable? I'm sure they expected him to be his father without the ten years of indie experience he had and you can't really make that up. I vaguely recall he had a legit glass jaw which amuses me.

I think it was Orton. Part of the legacy angle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

That sounds right too. Anything after 99 or so is pretty fuzzy for me.