Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Strangler 42 posted:

So is this Crytek essentially double-dog-daring CIG to release Squadron 42 as planned? What exactly did they find in discovery? Is CIG way behind schedule? And still using a branch of Cryengine because it's too late to start over? Is Calder breathing down their necks to finish? Is Crytek trying to take away the possibilty of having to shoulder the blame when Squadron 42 is canceled?

This is a legit TV novella move.

Here's my take: I think they have some cash locked up on the basis that SQ42 releases, perhaps the Calders money needs the milestones to keep getting sent out. Crytek knows that if they sue now, Ci!G can claim to be broke and simply declare bankruptcy in the holding corporation, shift the assets to another shell and keep going. I suspect that they know what's going to happen.

The argument that they're going to be duplicating effort is really interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Why did they drop the 'G' from 'CIG'?

Is just one of the many unanswered questions I'd like to ask them that bugs the fuckery out of me. I mean at first guess I'd say it was because they've not once in 8 years over the course of two decades have they made a 'G'ame. Ah but, I digress from the current shenaneghans. :shrugs:

Taxxe sorted Hav:

Lawyer catte is readying lawsuits.

Sabreseven fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jan 3, 2020

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

Sabreseven posted:

Is just one of the many unanswered questions I'd like to ask them that bugs the fuckery out of me. I mean at first guess I'd say it was because they've not once in 8 years over the course of two decades have they made a 'G'ame. Ah but, I digress from the current shenaneghans. :shrugs:

Taxxe sorted Hav:

J5

You sunk my Idris!

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Whoever is responsible for the new thread title deserves a medal

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

If I could ask Chris one question it would be .....

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Kosumo posted:

If I could ask Chris one question it would be .....

Tell us about the last time Sandi and yourself played Star Citizen together?

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What ship should I buy?

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Beexoffel posted:

Thanks for the explanation there; I'm not up to date on gaming journalism except what I pick up from this thread. I don't see how a gaming magazine can help me further than for writing a review of a game. Which I already see when I look at a game's store page in Steam.

Yeah, and speculations aside, I`am still baffled that the gaming press shills SC so hard. Be it Duke Nukem Forever, Daikatana, SW: Battlefront II or No Mans Sky, they all got their fair share of flak including "don`t purchase"-warnings.
Yet, SC is way, way worse than these titles. Call it a pledge or whatever, after 8+ years this deserves a critical look by the gaming press (that likes to frame itself as pro-consumer), warning people that they are most likely just burning their money. I mean, they were able to do it for some 5 dollar cosmetic DLC, but can't for 500+ Dollar spaceships in some shady, crowdfunded project that is in development hell since 8 years but still has it`s PR-machine going like its Coca-Cola?

Ineffiable
Feb 16, 2008

Some say that his politics are terrifying, and that he once punched a horse to the ground...

MedicineHut posted:

If all this is what it seems it is, couldnt CIG just refund all standalone SQ42 copies (or otherwise sold separatelt from SC), pretty sure is peanuts, and simply declare that SQ42 will now be part of the main game as originally intended?

The ironic part about doing this is that cr said that squadron 42 was supposed to bring in even more money for star citizen itself!

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Meanwhile, on the Battle Breakers discord (a F2P mobile gatcha game) a SC diss appears from nowhere!

As the resident waifu gacha game expert let me tell you that we have been making fun of SC (first for the insane JPEG costs, then for the lack of game) since 2013.

Like, there are dudes who spend 1000+ dollars a month chasing waifus and even they are dumbfounded about this whole thing.

If CIG ever needs some extra millions they can just hire Tony Taka to poo poo out some shipgirls and that should be enough to keep the lights on for a few years.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

ggangensis posted:

Yeah, and speculations aside, I`am still baffled that the gaming press shills SC so hard. Be it Duke Nukem Forever, Daikatana, SW: Battlefront II or No Mans Sky, they all got their fair share of flak including "don`t purchase"-warnings.
Yet, SC is way, way worse than these titles. Call it a pledge or whatever, after 8+ years this deserves a critical look by the gaming press (that likes to frame itself as pro-consumer), warning people that they are most likely just burning their money. I mean, they were able to do it for some 5 dollar cosmetic DLC, but can't for 500+ Dollar spaceships in some shady, crowdfunded project that is in development hell since 8 years but still has it`s PR-machine going like its Coca-Cola?

Well, two factors at play.

1) They might be getting paid to shill hard.

2) For some unknown reason, memories are short, and as soon as the next cool thing comes along they start shilling because they really think its going to be great.

Problem with 2 is, they have been doing it for close to 10 years with SC, and all their shilling hasn't done anything for a released game.... just more hype over things that might one day happen, or not.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sabreseven posted:

Taxxe sorted Hav:

Danke. We have a widget that is supposed to tell us when the TLS certs are getting close to expiry. It didn't, and one of the internal tools went kerblooey, so it's been a day of yelling at openssl.

Just another day in the IT core. Every meal a shameful sandwich, every bunk a feather bed.

<thousand yard stare>

ggangensis posted:

some shady, crowdfunded project that is in development hell since 8 years but still has it`s PR-machine going like its Coca-Cola?

First, imagine a box with a capsule of hydrogen cyanide, and a radioactive isotopic source that will break the capsule and release the cyanide. Then you place Squadron 42 into the box.

Squadron 42 now occupies a state that can be described by a simple waveform of probability as to whether the game is released or dead. Only by opening the box can you fix the state of Squadron 42 as dead or a game. The gaming press only really comments on games, and therefore is waiting for the wave function to collapse before it goes after a company who's board is literally half lawyers.

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

As the resident waifu gacha game expert let me tell you that we have been making fun of SC (first for the insane JPEG costs, then for the lack of game) since 2013.

Like, there are dudes who spend 1000+ dollars a month chasing waifus and even they are dumbfounded about this whole thing.

If CIG ever needs some extra millions they can just hire Tony Taka to poo poo out some shipgirls and that should be enough to keep the lights on for a few years.

Sorry, i'm new to this scene. I understand Captain Richard is some sort of expert.

Tell me, do i need to invest in the totally-not-underage-but-really-a-500-year-old-dragon-in-disguise sex doll immediately or can i start with just a basic waifu pillow?

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Well, two factors at play.

1) They might be getting paid to shill hard.

2) For some unknown reason, memories are short, and as soon as the next cool thing comes along they start shilling because they really think its going to be great.

Problem with 2 is, they have been doing it for close to 10 years with SC, and all their shilling hasn't done anything for a released game.... just more hype over things that might one day happen, or not.

3) SC articles and the ensuing comment shitfests generate plenty of views.

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Strangler 42 posted:

So is this Crytek essentially double-dog-daring CIG to release Squadron 42 as planned? What exactly did they find in discovery? Is CIG way behind schedule? And still using a branch of Cryengine because it's too late to start over? Is Calder breathing down their necks to finish? Is Crytek trying to take away the possibilty of having to shoulder the blame when Squadron 42 is canceled?

This season will be good.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Agony Aunt posted:

Sorry, i'm new to this scene. I understand Captain Richard is some sort of expert.

Tell me, do i need to invest in the totally-not-underage-but-really-a-500-year-old-dragon-in-disguise sex doll immediately or can i start with just a basic waifu pillow?

Nope, in order to get your totally-not-underage vampire/witch/ship/castle(!) you have to hit that gacha hard. It'll teach you, in a practical way, the true meaning of 0.5%.

Then, once you get her, you can start rolling for alternate forms or costumes. Those maid outfits ain't cheap! Finally, it's in good taste to save enough money for a proper in-game wedding before you jump into the dakimakura.

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"

Hav posted:

Squadron 42 now occupies a state that can be described by a simple waveform of probability as to whether the game is released or dead. Only by opening the box can you fix the state of Squadron 42 as dead or a game. The gaming press only really comments on games, and therefore is waiting for the wave function to collapse before it goes after a company who's board is literally half lawyers.

Hey, The Sun does gaming coverage too you know!

'DOG'S BREAKFAST: Cloud Imperium create immortal cat!'

UnknownTarget
Sep 5, 2019

Sabreseven posted:

Taxxe sorted Hav:

Maybe it's because Chris wanted to use the brand to expand into movies eventually.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Pixelate posted:

Another said: "I'm catholic and what the f***."

Sabreseven
Feb 27, 2016

Pixelate posted:

Jesus Christ! :devil:

Agony Aunt
Apr 17, 2018

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

trucutru posted:

Nope, in order to get your totally-not-underage vampire/witch/ship/castle(!) you have to hit that gacha hard. It'll teach you, in a practical way, the true meaning of 0.5%.

Then, once you get her, you can start rolling for alternate forms or costumes. Those maid outfits ain't cheap! Finally, it's in good taste to save enough money for a proper in-game wedding before you jump into the dakimakura.

Holy poo poo, this is deep!

grimcreaper
Jan 7, 2012

So.. is starcitizen a game yet? Has it defeated all other games? What about waifus, can be buy them with real money in game yet?

Horizon Burning
Oct 23, 2019
:discourse:

Fargin Icehole posted:

I made a post awhile back about seemingly failed kickstarters and was rebuked by plenty of great examples.

Thinking about it some more I was primarily focused on video games that we're headed by a known name in the industry. If we use this criteria, the only one I can think of would be Koji Igarashi's Bloodstained?

I personally played this one and had a shitload of fun and felt that it was worth the wait. It had regular updates, a side mini game that is an actual game and it's basically Castlevania 3 with modern mechanics.

Who else is on the list of popular industry developers and producers?

Keiji Inafune's Mighty No. 9 was pretty disappointing, with it's legendary mismanagement being more interesting than the game itself.

Julian Gollop of X-Com Fame's Phoenix Point, same thing.

Yu Suzuki's Shenmue 3 just makes me want to play Yakuza instead.

Richard Garriot's Shroud of the Avatar has already been covered here and in the MMO thread, it's a horribly mismanaged flop.

I'm sure there is a name or two I missed but they can't hold a candle to star citizen.

The cream of the crop is Chris Roberts,who accidentally turned the game into a religion for it's fans and only had concepts and demos desguised as already functional mechanics in a video game and people fell for it. Hell, I almost fell for it back in early 2013.

Pillars of Eternity by Obsidian. Massively successful initial Kickstarter but the game itself was so bad that the (much better, improved) sequel only made a fraction of its budget back and was such a flop that Obsidian got bought out by Microsoft

Popete
Oct 6, 2009

This will make sure you don't suggest to the KDz
That he should grow greens instead of crushing on MCs

Grimey Drawer
What? Pillars of Eternity was a great game and was well received by critics and fans. Pretty sure it sold just fine.

Megalobster
Aug 31, 2018
PoE 1 is pretty great and beloved.
Main valid complaint is that the lore isn't really interesting. Everything else is spot on.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

PoE was well received and sold well, so that's definitely not a failed kickstarter, but there were news stories about PoE2 not selling well. So that part is true. We can only speculate if that was the main reason for the MS sale, though.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

trucutru posted:

trucutru posted:

I have a few remaining things on my wishlist of entertainment to still come out of Chris’ dumpster fire, and this is right at the top.

I can’t imagine the hilarity that would come out of $1000 space waifus going on sale to the undersexed 45 year old nerds who are the core base of rubes still keeping this going. Clifford would spend his every last dime and wind up homeless within a week.

colonelwest
Jun 30, 2018

Also I guess :lol: at space court, but I still don’t really understand it as I never finished internet law school.

shrach
Jan 10, 2004

daylight ssssaving time

Hav posted:

This is a legit TV novella move.

Here's my take: I think they have some cash locked up on the basis that SQ42 releases, perhaps the Calders money needs the milestones to keep getting sent out. Crytek knows that if they sue now, Ci!G can claim to be broke and simply declare bankruptcy in the holding corporation, shift the assets to another shell and keep going. I suspect that they know what's going to happen.

The argument that they're going to be duplicating effort is really interesting.

The initial $46million, or at least the UK half of $23m was actuallty given to the UK group in mid-2018 and was in the company bank accounts (As of 31 December 2018 they only had ~$19.5m left in cash total in the UK accounts).

There could be something in a shareholder agreement, but those tend to be between shareholders and their protections of their interest/shares. At this point I'm not really willing to give any competency credit to anyone financially involved with Star Citizen.

The lawsuit reversal is peak Star Citizen. I don't know what lead to this amazing reversal but I just know the answer will be funnier than anyone can guess.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Strangler 42 posted:

I have my personal pet theory, which is that discovery turned up the evidence that Squadron 42 does not exist, in any form, whatsoever. Considering that a good portion of the meat of this lawsuit hinges on that game, this discovery on Crytek's part guts a good portion of their case.

Remember that nobody has seen a single actual piece of Squadron 42. Go back and watch the video demos from years past that were ostensibly SQ42. Every one of them entirely different, each one an on rails demo smashed together by who knows what contractor. Look at the "morrow tour," then the hallway mopping sim with Ser Davos, then watch the scene with the woman chained to the wall. All different, all unrelated, all scripted, and most importantly, not a single one shows even a nanosecond of space combat. You know, the entire point of the game.

It's not every day that criminal incompetence and borderline fraud wind up helping you evade a lawsuit, but it certainly smacks of Chris Roberts. He's not even competent enough to be sued properly.

Rotten Red Rod
Mar 5, 2002

Scruffpuff posted:

I have my personal pet theory, which is that discovery turned up the evidence that Squadron 42 does not exist, in any form, whatsoever. Considering that a good portion of the meat of this lawsuit hinges on that game, this discovery on Crytek's part guts a good portion of their case.

I'd guess that's true in practice but not in intention. There's likely a sad, neglected corner of CIG full of recent graduates desperately trying to cobble the assets together into a game with little-to-no direction from Chris, who lost interest once they stopped letting him direct celebrity mocap, and gets completely scrapped and restarted every few years when someone actually bothers to take a look and realize everything's unsalvageable.

Something exists, and there's no question the demos are fake, but it's made negative progress since we last saw it. I doubt very little of the mocap they did is usable at this point, and if SQ42 is ever back on track (lol), you'll know it because Chris will be filming celebrity mocaps again.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Sarsapariller posted:

Do we have any evidence of this stuff with discovery and SQ42 never coming out or are we just kind of running with it because it fits our biases and it'd be funny if true

Did you have fun? Well then.

ggangensis
Aug 24, 2018

:10bux:

Rotten Red Rod posted:

I'd guess that's true in practice but not in intention. There's likely a sad, neglected corner of CIG full of recent graduates desperately trying to cobble the assets together into a game with little-to-no direction from Chris, who lost interest once they stopped letting him direct celebrity mocap, and gets completely scrapped and restarted every few years when someone actually bothers to take a look and realize everything's unsalvageable.

That`s also my theory.
Highly motivated graduates, thinking "how hard can it be?", giving wrong estimates due to lack of experience on what they can accomplish. And how should they know?The higher ups have no idea what they want either and CR obviously doesn't give a gently caress anymore, probably investing more time planning his exit strategy than anything else.
I can only imagine how it might be for a young graduate, getting thrown under the bus at CIG without proper direction or mentors guiding them. Depending on the personality, either with negative impact on their psyche, or they just don't give a gently caress, collect their paycheck and playing DnD in the office. Before that happens though, the poor lads will work long hours trying to hack something together and the result can be seen everyday, it's called the PTU.
By the sheer amount of expensive trial&error brute-force-work they have something more or less playable, but this development model isn't sustainable at all and any other studio without a pyramid scheme inspired funding model would have been dry by now for years.

Experimental Skin
Apr 16, 2016
SQ54 is now a fully CGI non interactive film. That's what Crytek "discovered". That's what the Calders brought, a Blockbuster release. That's why CI is no longer G, they don't know how to make games. That's why Turbulent are now insiders. It's still poo poo, Robert Space is still pretending to be a Director and dragging it all into the swamp, and unlikely it's to ever see the light of day.

This is an Official Call. I have Called this. It's probably wrong.

Experimental Skin fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Jan 4, 2020

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?

Rotten Red Rod posted:

Something exists, and there's no question the demos are fake, but it's made negative progress since we last saw it. I doubt very little of the mocap they did is usable at this point, and if SQ42 is ever back on track (lol), you'll know it because Chris will be filming celebrity mocaps again.

Oh I'm sure something technically exists, and that something is called Squadron 42, but I think that it's in such piss-poor shape that not only can it not be called a game in almost any capacity, but what does exist is probably not even sitting on a recognizable code base any more. This code, and entire project, really, has mutated like The Thing so many times over the years, it really just needs to be put out of its misery.

But with development this open, we really have no way of knowing anything for sure.

Kosumo
Apr 9, 2016

Scruffpuff posted:

Oh I'm sure something technically exists, and that something is called Squadron 42, but I think that it's in such piss-poor shape that not only can it not be called a game in almost any capacity, but what does exist is probably not even sitting on a recognizable code base any more. This code, and entire project, really, has mutated like The Thing so many times over the years, it really just needs to be put out of its misery.

But with development this open, we really have no way of knowing anything for sure.

Dude, you lack faith; don't you know of Chris Roberts????

Pixelate
Jan 6, 2018

"You win by having fun"
I'm going to call a thing! Judge Gee will agree with the ripeness bit at least.

Just because CIG have argued the same thing in the past:

I can't fathom which bits that directly applies to, but I guess the SQ42 stuff fits the bill:

ANSWER TO SECOND AMENDED COMPLAINT posted:

Defendants [...] specifically deny that [...] “Squadron 42” has actually ever been made available as a “standalone” game

They're arguing the 'all one game' stuff there, but also hammering the "not being accessed through the Star Citizen Game client" clause. (I.E. that game access needs to be demonstrated, not just the pre-selling).

:shrug:

Guess if Cry's lawyers are recycling CIG's legal framing, they're going for this. Trying to get over that 'without prejudice' line.

(I wonder if they sold it to the Cry heads as being: Either CIG fail horrendously in public view, and you get your revenge. Or they make some cash, and then you get your revenge...)

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Lawyer: It is written that whomever wins this arcane judicial battle will own SQ42 and shall forever be linked to it.
Crytek: gently caress no!
CIG: :bisonyes:

Quavers
Feb 26, 2016

You clearly don't understand game development
Are Coutts still happy with holding the IP rights of Sq42 to ransom for their payday loan to CIG? :ohdear:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzr
Oct 6, 2016

Quavers posted:

Are Coutts still happy with holding the IP rights of Sq42 to ransom for their payday loan to CIG? :ohdear:

For the moment sq54 is in Schrödinger mode, we have to wait for the judge to evaluate it's existence.