Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Henry Cavill really carries it and the guy who plays Jaskill fits the role too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I finally started watching the witcher, and holy poo poo it's bad, loving atrociously bad, but I kinda love it? a rare bird to hit the mark of so bad it's good TV.

Yeah it's a big mess especially the cringe worthy Syfy channel like special effects.

But I still like especially episodes like the Striga one that capture the charm and unique feel of the games/books.

Plus learning how a hunk like Henry Cavill is obsessed with PC gaming putting 100+ hours into Witcher 3 and beating theTW grand campaign with 6 different Warhammer races.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
The Witcher show is awful and Cavill is the worst part of it.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

Gareth Gobulcoque posted:

I finally started watching the witcher, and holy poo poo it's bad, loving atrociously bad, but I kinda love it? a rare bird to hit the mark of so bad it's good TV.

so if i liked true blood i'll like it?

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

Witcher is a better and more entertaining show than Game of Thrones

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://twitter.com/robbiereviews/status/1212662453856821248?s=21

bonus, skip to 9:50 for some embarrassing sexism

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEsCdoLLHg8

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Wheeee posted:

Witcher is a better and more entertaining show than Game of Thrones

The Witcher CGI was bad since they decided to increase the tits budget.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I like how this guy can recognize that the camp is a "ripoff" of Moonrise Kingdom and not recognize that it's a loving PARODY

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

how do you not recognize that making a twee Wes Anderson movie about growing up a Nazi with Hitler as an imaginary friend is parody?

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

how did like half the movie going public not realize what verhoeven was doing with starship troopers?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Percelus posted:

how did like half the movie going public not realize what verhoeven was doing with starship troopers?

not just the public, but the reviewing class

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KnppTIFL0dM

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bSe9Yy3W8yQ

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Percelus posted:

the eighties had so thoroughly propagandized the american public into thinking that war was inherently good that the idea of a movie saying that actually war is inherently bad was completely inconceivable

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

youtube just fed me a cool looking ad about a netflix show with kids and robots in outer space but i laughed out loud at the end when i finally realized what it was advertising danger will robinson

hallebarrysoetoro
Jun 14, 2003

Percelus posted:

how did like half the movie going public not realize what verhoeven was doing in <virtually all of his american movies>

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Some Guy TT posted:

the eighties had so thoroughly propagandized the american public into thinking that war was inherently good that the idea of a movie saying that actually war is inherently bad was completely inconceivable

The text of Starship Troopers is that war is awesome, but the subtext is this is a fascist movie made by a fascist government to recruit you into a meaningless war that can only get you maimed or killed. But people who spent most of their lives studying & reviewing film didn't pick up on the subtext.

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

the movie is basically a parody of liberal war propaganda that takes it so far that libs can feel something is wrong but can't overcome the contradictions in their brain so it makes them uncomfortable

Cnidaria
Apr 10, 2009

It's all politics, Mike.

also its a very fun and entertaining movie which makes libs even more uncomfortable since it doesn't have a flashing sign that humans are the bad guys

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

just watched hustlers and Jesus this movie is practically agitprop

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

can you be more specific

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Its about a bunch of women working in a strip club who start drugging and robbing the Wall Street guys that come in, set during the aftermath of the 08 recession. Thinking about it its a little too nuanced to be called propaganda (not in a bad sense of the word) but its pretty open about the financiers they're robbing being complete shits. Also the acting is pretty good all around, Jennifer Lopez in particular. I guess it was kind of marketed as a comedy and its certainly got funny aspects but its more a crime drama. I'm in the process of digesting it so ill probably post more later

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.
the description mentioning Girl Crimez made me remember that THE KITCHEN exists and the previews made it look like it took very serious. I bet it's pretty bad, but is it funny? I've been burned by CATS! recently.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

steinrokkan posted:

The Witcher show is awful and Cavill is the worst part of it.

Yes it is actually great

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Percelus posted:

people are very stupid, by and large, which is why we're in the poo poo we're in right now

Helsing
Aug 23, 2003

DON'T POST IN THE ELECTION THREAD UNLESS YOU :love::love::love: JOE BIDEN

Percelus posted:

The film could easily be enjoyed by a 14 year old boy and that made it unpalatable to the typical audience for an anti-war satire.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

Helsing posted:

The film could easily be enjoyed by a 14 year old boy and that made it unpalatable to the typical audience for an anti-war satire.

drat, I was 14 when it came out. "That blonde psychic guy kinda looks like a Nazi."

MizPiz
May 29, 2013

by Athanatos
Sometimes reality tv is good

https://twitter.com/evanrosskatz/status/1213090381665095680?s=19

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
https://twitter.com/alexisthenedd/status/1213251102847754242

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

drat they should have hired me as a screenwriter not only would i have rotated snowpiercer but i would have added a baby yoda

ElNarez
Nov 4, 2009
there's already a vertical snowpiercer and it's called parasite

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

They're making a Snowpiercer TV show too, ready to see an American remake completely miss the point of a foreign film?

The ad does reference the crazy fan theory of the villain being Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory though, which is at least worth a smile.

Percelus
Sep 9, 2012

My command, your wish is

ElNarez posted:

there's already a vertical snowpiercer and it's called parasite

does it have a baby yoda though? thought so :smugdog:

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
oh man Wrestle Kingdom is really loving good this year

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Percelus posted:

does it have a baby yoda though? thought so :smugdog:

it does?

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

22 Eargesplitten posted:

They're making a Snowpiercer TV show too, ready to see an American remake completely miss the point of a foreign film?

The ad does reference the crazy fan theory of the villain being Charlie from Charlie and the Chocolate Factory though, which is at least worth a smile.

Do they not know it's based on a French comic book?

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.

A Gnarlacious Bro posted:

The idea that the prequels are rehabilitated seems to exist only in the minds of people who watch long rear end youtubes, similarly I think the "discourse" about the new movies is largely not representative of the actual popularity. Though I know a lot of people who either don't want to see the new films or outright hated them, and even that mild lack of consensus is enough to turn the algorithm ecosystem into constant star wars anxiety.

long rear end youtubes which Disney in no way encouraged, I'm sure.

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Know what's great about the prequels? None of them have a loving death star.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Know what's great about the prequels? None of them have a loving death star.

Technically ep 2 has a hologram mockup of the death star and ep 3 shows it in early stages of construction

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VideoTapir
Oct 18, 2005

He'll tire eventually.
the prequels gave us this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf6WxVYMvT8

VideoTapir has issued a correction as of 13:00 on Jan 5, 2020