Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

In a hypothetical European diseases institution situation you would remove primitive penalties from the game and just have a colony anywhere in the New World by any Old World nation start giving you points toward a disaster that starts knocking down your development. Embracing the disease would just make the disaster stop.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
This doesn't help with the fundamental issue of there being an insufficient number of other countries to interact with or the repetitive nature of the religious reform system. I'm pretty convinced that any first step involves changing colonization from taking over empty provinces to having to conquer those provinces; it makes colonization more interactive for the country that's colonizing and having more countries around means that there is more to do early in the game before Europeans start to colonize. You could even tie this into a degradation of development by letting provinces become unoccupied if development goes low enough or something along those lines.

Pylons
Mar 16, 2009

I think something Like Vicky 2's colonization system would be neat. Competing with other tribal nations within the same province, escalating into war or someone backing down.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
I wish that the AI would focus a lot more on fighting battles than on sieging each other down, and also that they could recognize a doomed war and give in to initial demands instead of fighting on until they're facerolled like every war is WW1.

Stealing some of CK's CB mechanics might be a good idea. Have a list of demands the attackers start with that are the default "victorious" peace treaty. The AI's willingness to fight should be tied to how harsh these are. Unlike CK, exceeding them should be possible but costly.

This could also make interacting with allies more fun- like I should be able to say "I'll join your offensive war but I get X" or "I'll give you Y if you join mine." When provinces aren't on the line, you could dangle things like a greater share of the payout or a promise for support when the non-benefitting nation goes for a third-party province down the line.

e: of course diplomacy with an AI always suffers because they're an AI, I think having peace terms laid out at the start would help them make judgement calls.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Jan 1, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

I wish that the AI would focus a lot more on fighting battles than on sieging each other down, and also that they could recognize a doomed war and give in to initial demands instead of fighting on until they're facerolled like every war is WW1.

Stealing some of CK's CB mechanics might be a good idea. Have a list of demands the attackers start with that are the default "victorious" peace treaty. The AI's willingness to fight should be tied to how harsh these are. Unlike CK, exceeding them should be possible but costly.

This could also make interacting with allies more fun- like I should be able to say "I'll join your offensive war but I get X" or "I'll give you Y if you join mine." When provinces aren't on the line, you could dangle things like a greater share of the payout or a promise for support when the non-benefitting nation goes for a third-party province down the line.

e: of course diplomacy with an AI always suffers because they're an AI, I think having peace terms laid out at the start would help them make judgement calls.
The bolded is why I pretty much stopped playing the game and stopped buying DLC. I love the game; EU4 is probably my favorite paradox title, but the repetitiveness of needing to hellwar 5 countries to take even 1 province has just gotten old. I agree with you 100% that the AI should not be so willing to ruin its country to prevent me from taking one province. I know it would be really hard to balance but I would love to be able to pick a wargoal and work towards that and if I achieve those goals, but just barely and my opponent still has a standing army or any ally who just showed up to help, would then be willing to stay in the war in the hopes of turning it around. However if their army is crushed, a major fort sieged down, and their ally knocked out, they would desperately want peace before I could escalate my claims to take additional land or demand a larger indemnity or something.

I am really hoping that this major patch that they have been working on for so long addresses that, manually controlling every army, the AI spamming 1 infantry unit merc stacks to annoy the poo poo out of the player (automation would help here though), Trade Companies (mainly the AI buying random poo poo for no good reason), loans being free money, sailors, and a few other things.

AAAAA! Real Muenster fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Jan 1, 2020

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
When is the Jesus Patch estimated to come out again?

Popoto
Oct 21, 2012

miaow
The problem with not having the AI do a hell War, if I recall, is that players will still do them to take the most they can while refusing any peace provided by the AI. If AIs are more amenable to peace too there is more chance the player can dismantle alliances/coalitions and face roll even earlier.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Yeah whenever the ai offers a peace deal I just say nope until I can grab the max amount possible. If you agree to their one province offering you’re just going to have to fight them again in ten years

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i would take ai peace deals if they had super reduced ae maybe

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

StarMinstrel posted:

The problem with not having the AI do a hell War, if I recall, is that players will still do them to take the most they can while refusing any peace provided by the AI. If AIs are more amenable to peace too there is more chance the player can dismantle alliances/coalitions and face roll even earlier.

appropriatemetaphor posted:

Yeah whenever the ai offers a peace deal I just say nope until I can grab the max amount possible. If you agree to their one province offering you’re just going to have to fight them again in ten years

I never said I want the AI to make the offer, though? Both of you are talking about peace deals provided by the AI and that is not what I said at all. I want the AI to be willing to accept a player's peace deal if the player is asking for something reasonable, as in, update how wargoals and peace deals work so I can declare a war for a state on the AI and if I have that state occupied, the AI's army is beat, and other forts are under siege, it would be willing to end the war. The more states I demand in the war the more stubborn the AI would get, stuff like that. You know, build the system to encourage less-than-hellwars?

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

Ah yeah that’d be good then. I’m sure they could some kind of modifier to tell the dumb ai that it’s a good deal and they should take it.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Making war tougher and internal affairs more in-depth and fun, and then making refusing decent peace deals painful internally, would help even on the AI peace deal side.

But that's an EU5 thing really, and I know some people really like EU being Blob Game so who knows.

Also the AI sometimes fights on in hellwars even when it has nothing on the line which is really bad for it. You'll see an AI get ripped apart in a hellwar over an OPM rather than peacing out for a pittance and letting the OPM war leader get annexed. You'll see the Kalmar Union end in 1461 after tens of thousands of french troops occupy Stockholm and Copenhagen to finally end the milanese conquest of Parma.

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 18:53 on Jan 1, 2020

canepazzo
May 29, 2006

I feel like war exhaustion should tick up way faster for the non-primary belligerents. I can see French and Danish people getting pissed off way earlier than Milan and Parma in the above scenario.

E: and also, war exhaustion contibution to peace terms acceptance should be multiplied by 2 or 3 for non-primary belligerents, for the same reasons.

canepazzo fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Jan 1, 2020

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Also the AI sometimes fights on in hellwars even when it has nothing on the line which is really bad for it. You'll see an AI get ripped apart in a hellwar over an OPM rather than peacing out for a pittance and letting the OPM war leader get annexed. You'll see the Kalmar Union end in 1461 after tens of thousands of french troops occupy Stockholm and Copenhagen to finally end the milanese conquest of Parma.
its this kind of poo poo that has driven me off, great example

canepazzo posted:

I feel like war exhaustion should tick up way faster for the non-primary belligerents. I can see French and Danish people getting pissed off way earlier than Milan and Parma in the above scenario.

E: and also, war exhaustion contibution to peace terms acceptance should be multiplied by 2 or 3 for non-primary belligerents, for the same reasons.
:agreed:

and I understand that people will probably complain if the game got too dictate-y with telling players how long they can stick out a war, how to make their peace deals, and that kind of stuff, but the systems have worked as is for years now and it would be nice to try something new, or hear about how they tried changing things internally but it all sucked.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
The first is to be born in Joseon.
The problem with that is this isn't a "quickly change 3 numbers just to give it a checking out" kind of problem. AI alterations like that have knock on effects throughout like half the game, so I can completely understand them playing this one conservative especially since the current system still does work pretty okay.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

The problem with that is this isn't a "quickly change 3 numbers just to give it a checking out" kind of problem. AI alterations like that have knock on effects throughout like half the game, so I can completely understand them playing this one conservative especially since the current system still does work pretty okay.
I am completely aware of this and was not suggesting that they do it tomorrow; I was pointing it out in light of the fact that they took a year off from (paid) DLC (there was that one free patch a couple months ago) for the game to work on a gigantic fix 'em up patch, which is the perfect opportunity to do a big fix. I dont want it tomorrow - I can wait for a fix and I do not want it until it is ready.

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
I don't really think that logic follows, dude. A giant patch where they already have a bunch of other things planned won't really be the best time to also try to cram in something else huge.

I'd like to see it changed too but I think to do so in a way that's actually good might be more of an EU5 thing. Stepping back from hell wars changes things on a pretty fundamental level.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Koramei posted:

I don't really think that logic follows, dude. A giant patch where they already have a bunch of other things planned won't really be the best time to also try to cram in something else huge.

I'd like to see it changed too but I think to do so in a way that's actually good might be more of an EU5 thing. Stepping back from hell wars changes things on a pretty fundamental level.
EU5 is fine too, I was simply going along with the issue of AI Denmark committing a generation of adult males to the defense of Parma in 1461 because its hellwar or no war right now, and its been a problem for a long time.

Do we even know everything they're working on with this patch? Did they give us a roadmap?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
There was a dev diary a year or so back with a general roadmap of stuff they were wanting to overhaul. With Jake suddenly leaving and Johan taking over though I wonder if there might be some big changes to it after all.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Koramei posted:

Do you think a small patch is the time to cram it then, dude?

Koramei
Nov 11, 2011

I have three regrets
yikes

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

cram it all in, gently caress the patches!

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Patch size might not be relevant if the game is getting bloated enough even the devs don't know the way something as vital as combat works :v: No offense Groogy

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Everyone talking about their issues with the way the Americas are modeled inspired me to go back and do some work on a native overhaul mod that I had barely started. First item on the list is simply filling the Americas entirely with First Nations, and renaming certain tribes so they aren't called by their exonyms (like my people, both Mohawk and Iroquois Confederacy are exonyms, we call ourselves the Kanienkehaka of the Haudenosaunee). Then I'll have to better model some of the culture groups and add some others that don't exist.

My ultimate goal is to accurately portray the effects of disease on the native population, possibly by increasing starting dev in the Americas and scripting events that can decimate it after first contact, including completely depopulating provinces that lose enough dev. Another thought would be to have events that empty manpower pools or something of that nature.

Anyways, that's all in the very distant future if I ever get to it at all. Here's what I've done so far, if people are interested it may help to keep my motivation up.

Also does anyone know of a way to mod out the need for European contact to reform and/or embrace Feudalism?

Terrible Opinions
Oct 18, 2013

I'd be interested in giving it a whirl, see if my normal multiplayer group would be interested.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Gravity Cant Apple posted:

Everyone talking about their issues with the way the Americas are modeled inspired me to go back and do some work on a native overhaul mod that I had barely started. First item on the list is simply filling the Americas entirely with First Nations, and renaming certain tribes so they aren't called by their exonyms (like my people, both Mohawk and Iroquois Confederacy are exonyms, we call ourselves the Kanienkehaka of the Haudenosaunee). Then I'll have to better model some of the culture groups and add some others that don't exist.

My ultimate goal is to accurately portray the effects of disease on the native population, possibly by increasing starting dev in the Americas and scripting events that can decimate it after first contact, including completely depopulating provinces that lose enough dev. Another thought would be to have events that empty manpower pools or something of that nature.

Anyways, that's all in the very distant future if I ever get to it at all. Here's what I've done so far, if people are interested it may help to keep my motivation up.

Also does anyone know of a way to mod out the need for European contact to reform and/or embrace Feudalism?
This sounds really awesome and I would be very interested in where you take it.

Kangxi
Nov 12, 2016

"Too paranoid for you?"
"Not me, paranoia's the garlic in life's kitchen, right, you can never have too much."

This is fascinating and I would like to see where this goes.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep

Seems really cool

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

So the way that reforming works is that it checks for an adjacent cored province of a nation that has any institution. I'm not aware of any way to change the button that checks for reform religion; on the other hand, it is probably possible to check for five reform levels as a decision and then use that to spawn a center of reformation for a reformed version of one of the new world nations and give that province the feudalism. There are probably other ways to do this, but this is the first thing that comes to mind for me.

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

i think you can just open common\institution\00_Core.txt and mess with this

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Can you change country colours without breaking ironman yet? I kinda wanna try for some cheevos.

(blue scotland and blue prussia paradox you cowards)

e: also I just remembered base EU3 when Austria was loving red. Is everyone in Sweden colourblind? Why paradox?
e2: I'm going to play exclusively with a garish yellow Sweden until I get answers

Edgar Allen Ho fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Jan 5, 2020

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

Can you change country colours without breaking ironman yet? I kinda wanna try for some cheevos.

(blue scotland and blue prussia paradox you cowards)

e: also I just remembered base EU3 when Austria was loving red. Is everyone in Sweden colourblind? Why paradox?
e2: I'm going to play exclusively with a garish yellow Sweden until I get answers

Bring back early EU4 toothpaste blue Germany and Vicky 2 piss-yellow Prussia you cowards.

appropriatemetaphor
Jan 26, 2006

scrap the next DLC and add a "choose color" ~*~*slider~**~*

distortion park
Apr 25, 2011

This sounds really cool. It would be fun to have an alt history mode where disease doesn't have a big impact on the First Nation populations, maybe just enough to allow some colonization to take place but also allow strong states to survive.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

Yeah that's a legitimately interesting alt-hist scenario, albeit one EU really isn't setup to handle. Native societies historically became dependent on European trade goods super quickly (turns out metalworking is great!), with coastal societies dominating their inland neighbors due to their status of gatekeepers to European trade. In a world without diseases that wreaked havoc on the population of those societies there'd probably be waves of native empires spreading inland while trying to monopolize European access.

Gravity Cant Apple
Jun 25, 2011

guys its just like if you had an apple with a straw n you poked the apple though wit it n a pebbl hadnt dropped through itd stop straw insid the apple because gravity cant apple
Even with the diseases, like half of the tribes that people think of as plains tribes were refugees from the Beaver Wars after my people went HAM on the Great Lakes and Midwest. Guns are a hell of a drug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Wars

Family Values
Jun 26, 2007

As long as we're fixing all of colonizations many, many problems, please for gently caress's sake go back to the drawing board with the whole buying trade charters mechanic. It makes for awful border gore, interferes with campaigns in just the most ridiculous ways (I'm trying to unify China as Yuan and now I have to go siege down Naples and their French allies because the AI stupidly sold them a province?), and it doesn't really model what was actually happening historically at all. I mean, I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna be grouchy about it.

Buying a trade charter should get you something like permanent fleet basing rights and the ability to station a merchant in the trade node. If you want the actual clay then send an army, not just ducats.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Family Values posted:

interferes with campaigns in just the most ridiculous ways (I'm trying to unify China as Yuan and now I have to go siege down Naples and their French allies because the AI stupidly sold them a province?)

This right here irritates me to no end. The other parts of the trade company mechanic I can go either way on, but I hate how it can completely screw up your missions and decisions. It seems like something that must've been overlooked during development, but Paradox never went back to the drawing board after this issue was pointed out. At least make chartered provinces irrelevant for those events and missions or something.

More often than not, what happens to me when I'm playing in India is that a European power will buy a province required for me to complete an early mission, and I have to put the entire loving Indian mission tree on hold for a century while I build up power and the ability to fight a world war. Then I fight a clusterfuck of a war across the globe just so I can get a single lovely 6 dev province and immediately complete like 7 missions at once after I'm done since I've already met the conditions for all the other missions. This loving sucks.

AAAAA! Real Muenster
Jul 12, 2008

My QB is also named Bort

Even with the diseases, like half of the tribes that people think of as plains tribes were refugees from the Beaver Wars after my people went HAM on the Great Lakes and Midwest. Guns are a hell of a drug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beaver_Wars
It boggles my mind that I grew up in eastern PA and had no idea this was a thing.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

This right here irritates me to no end. The other parts of the trade company mechanic I can go either way on, but I hate how it can completely screw up your missions and decisions. It seems like something that must've been overlooked during development, but Paradox never went back to the drawing board after this issue was pointed out. At least make chartered provinces irrelevant for those events and missions or something.

More often than not, what happens to me when I'm playing in India is that a European power will buy a province required for me to complete an early mission, and I have to put the entire loving Indian mission tree on hold for a century while I build up power and the ability to fight a world war. Then I fight a clusterfuck of a war across the globe just so I can get a single lovely 6 dev province and immediately complete like 7 missions at once after I'm done since I've already met the conditions for all the other missions. This loving sucks.
This right here is another reason why I dont play the game right now. I have such a bad itch to play but I know something like this will happen so I just dont bother.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Family Values posted:

As long as we're fixing all of colonizations many, many problems, please for gently caress's sake go back to the drawing board with the whole buying trade charters mechanic. It makes for awful border gore, interferes with campaigns in just the most ridiculous ways (I'm trying to unify China as Yuan and now I have to go siege down Naples and their French allies because the AI stupidly sold them a province?), and it doesn't really model what was actually happening historically at all. I mean, I'm gonna do it, but I'm gonna be grouchy about it.

Buying a trade charter should get you something like permanent fleet basing rights and the ability to station a merchant in the trade node. If you want the actual clay then send an army, not just ducats.

This is probably the worst mechanic they've ever added to the game. Does anybody think it's a good thing for random European countries to be able to grab huge chunks of land in Asia for a handful of ducats?