Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FOLK STYLE FISTING
Jan 2, 2020

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Why do people pay $20+ for the latest variant of thermal grease, just to turn around and splat it onto their lovely aluminum heatsinks? I mean, copper is a superior conductor and costs less than $3.00 a pound.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

movax posted:

I forget which site it was, but they did a giant comparison of pastes / TIMs and included toothpaste and chocolate, among a few others.

Dan's Data was the original, he included vegemite because he's aussie. (Vegemite performed very well, but was very difficult to clean.)

Crotch Fruit posted:

Clearly they should have use something more artificial and loaded with preservatives like miracle whip.

Gotta stick with the industry standard!

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

FOLK STYLE FISTING posted:

Why do people pay $20+ for the latest variant of thermal grease, just to turn around and splat it onto their lovely aluminum heatsinks?

Gallium ftw

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

If only Seth would love me like I love him!

Ok so I won't pour any food into my CPU but if there are some "more precious" precious metals I can waste money on for a heatsink , let's hash out what that looks like please

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.
I bet the most common mistake people make is slathering way too much thermal interface paste on the cpu

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

priznat posted:

I bet the most common mistake people make is slathering way too much thermal interface paste on the cpu

Even then it all just gets squeezed out, GN did a thing about it. As long as your not using too little it pretty much doesn't matter.

priznat
Jul 7, 2009

Let's get drunk and kiss each other all night.

ItBreathes posted:

Even then it all just gets squeezed out, GN did a thing about it. As long as your not using too little it pretty much doesn't matter.

Well then it’s a waste of perfectly good mayonnaise!

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

priznat posted:

That's not really a problem anymore, modern pastes are all made to squeeze out after some thermal cycles.

The only benefit to using less and spreading by hand is to get more applications from a tube. But AFAIK using too little is more likely to cause temperature problems from dry spots than too much.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Statutory Ape posted:

Ok so I won't pour any food into my CPU but if there are some "more precious" precious metals I can waste money on for a heatsink , let's hash out what that looks like please

Diamond is a really good heat conductor. Have fun with that one though.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

Having to supply your own diamond seems like more of an Intel move tbh

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

AMD confirmed that the R5 1600 "AF" SKU found in the wild is a 12nm Zen+ die. It is a 2600 with 200mhz lower clocks stock... but you can overclock it exactly the same as a 2600. Same cooler as the 2600 in the box too.

So yeah, at $80 at microcenter (plus $20 board credit), it is a pretty drat great deal, and better than the APUs if you aren't planning on using the graphics. King of the value segment, and pretty much makes every CPU from Intel or AMD under the 3600 obsolete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRO_AUdmfis

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."
*cries after having spent 30 EUR more 2 months back on a 2600*

EDIT: And yes, there is a lot of cheapskate-centric irony that I'm doing this on the computer powered by it, and I'm not being that serious just...goddamit AMD. Your marketing still needs a lot more work.

CrazyLoon fucked around with this message at 05:59 on Jan 3, 2020

peepsalot
Apr 24, 2007

PEEP THIS...
           BITCH!

Hell yeah that CPU is Ryzen AF!

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
APU info starting to pop up:
https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1212656329833115653

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP

Cygni posted:

AMD confirmed that the R5 1600 "AF" SKU found in the wild is a 12nm Zen+ die. It is a 2600 with 200mhz lower clocks stock... but you can overclock it exactly the same as a 2600. Same cooler as the 2600 in the box too.

So yeah, at $80 at microcenter (plus $20 board credit), it is a pretty drat great deal, and better than the APUs if you aren't planning on using the graphics. King of the value segment, and pretty much makes every CPU from Intel or AMD under the 3600 obsolete.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRO_AUdmfis

That AF chip seems a steal at that price point. There's no sign of it yet at UK vendors, but for £85 or so it'll be hard to say no.

eames
May 9, 2009

Cygni posted:

Quite excellent development for the value market. There were recent news/rumors about Apple moving all their chips to TSMC 5nm, freeing up a lot of 7nm wafer capacity at TSMC. Allegedly a certain CPU manufacturer booked a very large part of it, making them TSMC's largest 7nm customer.

EmpyreanFlux
Mar 1, 2013

The AUDACITY! The IMPUDENCE! The unabated NERVE!

eames posted:

Quite excellent development for the value market. There were recent news/rumors about Apple moving all their chips to TSMC 5nm, freeing up a lot of 7nm wafer capacity at TSMC. Allegedly a certain CPU manufacturer booked a very large part of it, making them TSMC's largest 7nm customer.

As other manufactures move to 7nmEUV AMD can get absolutely huge volume on Zen2 compared to Zen3, and it may make sense to support Rome longer and more vigorously than Genoa until Zen4 drops.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

eames posted:

Does AMD manufacture the console's APUs or are they manufactured under their respective corporations? MS and Sony should start ramping up production soon for the 2020 EOY launch.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

karoshi posted:

Does AMD manufacture the console's APUs or are they manufactured under their respective corporations? MS and Sony should start ramping up production soon for the 2020 EOY launch.

AMD does not own fabs, they do designs and contract the production out the TSMC and GF. MS and Sony will get those chips and then do final assembly with them either in-house if they have it or on contract with someone else

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

karoshi posted:

I've never been sure about this, because I've seen contradictory news stories. IIRC I read a story not too long ago that said the chips for xbox & PS4 had moved to different fabs.

But then there's old stories like this where it seems like AMD had more say in the matter. Which might have been the case in 2014 -- maybe part of the contract was to use GloFlo because that was back when AMD was having trouble using up their wafer agreement?

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

AMD does not own fabs, they do designs and contract the production out the TSMC and GF. MS and Sony will get those chips and then do final assembly with them either in-house if they have it or on contract with someone else

But isn't it a licensed design so MS & Sony can have independent control of the production though?

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

Klyith posted:

But isn't it a licensed design so MS & Sony can have independent control of the production though?

The design and manufacture process are so closely intertwined, specialized, and advanced now that the only places that can pull it off are TSMC and Intel.

karoshi
Nov 4, 2008

"Can somebody mspaint eyes on the steaming packages? TIA" yeah well fuck you too buddy, this is the best you're gonna get. Is this even "work-safe"? Let's find out!

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

I know AMD doesn't own fabs. Is the reservation at TSMC (confirmed N7 for one of the APUs at a Dr. Su presentation) done under AMD's name or Sony/MS? So is the huge reservation of TSMC N7 production for the consoles' ramp up or for AMD's own production?

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Klyith posted:

I've never been sure about this, because I've seen contradictory news stories. IIRC I read a story not too long ago that said the chips for xbox & PS4 had moved to different fabs.

But then there's old stories like this where it seems like AMD had more say in the matter. Which might have been the case in 2014 -- maybe part of the contract was to use GloFlo because that was back when AMD was having trouble using up their wafer agreement?

It's not a licensed design. At least, not in the same sense as the Hygon chips.

This is AMD's semi-custom division at work, where they take bits and pieces from the CPU and GPU divisions and boil it down to a single monolithic chip to send off to the fabs, get back, package, and then hand off to Sony/Microsoft's OEMs.

Khorne
May 1, 2002

karoshi posted:

I know AMD doesn't own fabs. Is the reservation at TSMC (confirmed N7 for one of the APUs at a Dr. Su presentation) done under AMD's name or Sony/MS? So is the huge reservation of TSMC N7 production for the consoles' ramp up or for AMD's own production?
It should be ran under AMD, but I'm exceptional at being wrong.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

The more interesting 4800U, OTOH:

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1213059179155312641

Renoir reportedly 60% uplift over last gen Vega cores, 16% better than Tiger Lake Xe. Ha. Lle. loving. Lujah.

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:26 on Jan 4, 2020

Arzachel
May 12, 2012
That bench is ran on 3200mhz memory and I'd be surprised if Renoir didn't support lpddr4x, making the lead even bigger.

eames
May 9, 2009

SwissArmyDruid posted:

The more interesting 4800U, OTOH:

https://twitter.com/TUM_APISAK/status/1213059179155312641

Renoir reportedly 60% uplift over last gen Vega cores, 16% better than Tiger Lake Xe. Ha. Lle. loving. Lujah.

The reported 512 MB GPU VRAM are interesting. Perhaps indeed some form of shared "L4" cache à la Crystalwell, like many ITT hoped for years ago. That could also explain the surprisingly high IPC/CPU scores.

e: hmm no, that'd show up in the System Memory Latency Ladder

eames fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Jan 4, 2020

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E
So when will the big OEMs start offering AMD flavor workstations? Dell/HP still seem to be intel only.

pixaal
Jan 8, 2004

All ice cream is now for all beings, no matter how many legs.

Shaocaholica posted:

So when will the big OEMs start offering AMD flavor workstations? Dell/HP still seem to be intel only.

Dell has them, they are the ones that end in 5, there just aren't many options. Dell also has a dedicated AMD page. They are pretty hidden and you have to look for them, but they exist. There's very little customization and any rep I've spoken to pretty much refuses to budge on price but will discount the Intel until it's a better value saying they have rebates with Intel but AMD isn't offering any. I might just have lovely reps.

Biggest issue is you can't filter for them so you have to go to the main page and just happen to click a model number ending in 5 then click more info and realize it's an AMD.

I feel like either major OEMs are just slow to change and are used to Intel only, or Intel is doing something underhanded. I want to believe Dell / HP are just waiting to see if there's further problems but I bet they also want to sell computers instead of preorders. The last few years I haven't been able to get any desktop / server quicker than 2 months unless I get a Walmart special. (and have! They made terrible temporary workstations for new hires until the real hardware came in). I'm hoping it's just chicken and egg and they don't see a demand because they only offer anemic AMD configurations and no one is really calling asking for custom.

Inept
Jul 8, 2003

pixaal posted:

any rep I've spoken to pretty much refuses to budge on price but will discount the Intel until it's a better value saying they have rebates with Intel but AMD isn't offering any. I might just have lovely reps.

Isn't that what Intel did 15 years ago when AMD was last competitive? Not that I'm surprised they're doing it again, but they lost a lawsuit and had to give AMD a bunch of money.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Intel and Dell can't deliver systems right now, so they're probably desperate. I'm getting 30-60 day lead times on some processors.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

pixaal posted:

any rep I've spoken to pretty much refuses to budge on price but will discount the Intel until it's a better value saying they have rebates with Intel but AMD isn't offering any. I might just have lovely reps.

My wife's research lab had a similar experience and they ended up ordering a couple of Intel big boxes. List price was the best price possible for AMD stuff, but Intel stuff was discounted so deeply that core for core, clock for clock it was the same price as Epyc. At that point, you go Intel.

Edit: If you guys are at HP shops, I'm curious what pricing CDW is giving you. I've seen advertised prices under $2k for 7402P / 64GB DL325s: https://www.cdw.com/product/hpe-proliant-dl325-gen10-rack-mountable-epyc-7402p-2.8-ghz-64-gb/5736036

Twerk from Home fucked around with this message at 18:06 on Jan 4, 2020

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

pixaal posted:

There's very little customization and any rep I've spoken to pretty much refuses to budge on price but will discount the Intel until it's a better value saying they have rebates with Intel but AMD isn't offering any.
I feel like either major OEMs are just slow to change and are used to Intel only, or Intel is doing something underhanded.

The 'rebates' thing was the same trick they pulled the last time around, except they were way too obvious about the rebates only being available to OEMs who didn't use AMD CPUs. And that's how they lost an anti-trust suit.

I'm 100% expecting they're doing similar deals now but with more subtle and probably-not-illegal restrictions, something like the big rebates only when a model line is all intel. That would explain the visible effect of AMD being locked out of high-end product lines.

OTOH this is how intel competes on price: only when it has to, and in secret. Stuff like the 10980 getting a $1000 price drop shows where their margins on high-end parts are. They can discount their stuff to be competitive, but they don't want to. If they can preserve their inflated price structure until AMD does Bulldozer 2 Electric Boogaloo, they can go right back to record profits.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

pixaal posted:

Dell has them, they are the ones that end in 5, there just aren't many options. Dell also has a dedicated AMD page. They are pretty hidden and you have to look for them, but they exist. There's very little customization and any rep I've spoken to pretty much refuses to budge on price but will discount the Intel until it's a better value saying they have rebates with Intel but AMD isn't offering any. I might just have lovely reps.

Biggest issue is you can't filter for them so you have to go to the main page and just happen to click a model number ending in 5 then click more info and realize it's an AMD.

I feel like either major OEMs are just slow to change and are used to Intel only, or Intel is doing something underhanded. I want to believe Dell / HP are just waiting to see if there's further problems but I bet they also want to sell computers instead of preorders. The last few years I haven't been able to get any desktop / server quicker than 2 months unless I get a Walmart special. (and have! They made terrible temporary workstations for new hires until the real hardware came in). I'm hoping it's just chicken and egg and they don't see a demand because they only offer anemic AMD configurations and no one is really calling asking for custom.

Link? Can’t seem to find them using my phone and the precision Wikipedia page doesn’t mention AMD at all.

bus hustler
Mar 14, 2019

Shaocaholica posted:

Link? Can’t seem to find them using my phone and the precision Wikipedia page doesn’t mention AMD at all.

https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/desktops-all-in-one-pcs/optiplex-5055-tower-and-small-form-factor/spd/optiplex-5055-desktop

they have an AIO Inspiron that uses APUs and some Alienware, but the 5055 is the only Ryzen I'm aware of and you cant overclock the 2400G it comes with.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I don’t think anybody actually buys those things anymore. Every corporate customer I see these days buys laptops for everyone, even if nobody works from home. The only towers that get bought are for labs or engineers, and generally are Xeons.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
AMD haven't helped themselves by lagging behind on their APU line. The world of non-workstation business desktops seem to have decided that separate GPUs are an unnecessary expense; here AMD still only offer four cores which plays against their advantage. A 3700X APU would stand out a lot more and give reason to build lines around AMD.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.
I haven't seen desktops in an office other than for specialty stuff since several jobs ago. And that specialty stuff is usually a multi thousand dollar workstation as mentioned.

Worf
Sep 12, 2017

I spend a lot of time in a lot of offices and people still use desktops a good amount. Amd would do well to partner with somebody doing some all in one machines targeted to SMBs / Soho/ home imho. Their Apu is perfect for it I would think.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Khorne
May 1, 2002

Pablo Bluth posted:

AMD haven't helped themselves by lagging behind on their APU line. The world of non-workstation business desktops seem to have decided that separate GPUs are an unnecessary expense; here AMD still only offer four cores which plays against their advantage. A 3700X APU would stand out a lot more and give reason to build lines around AMD.
Monolithic 8c/16t APU for the 4000 series allegedly leaked recently. Might be mobile though.