Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

there wolf
Jan 11, 2015

by Fluffdaddy

Pants Donkey posted:

I dunno why people say Stantis is gonna vote for Trump when we know he's gonna vote for whatever embarrassment the Libertarians dig up this year. I see John McAfee is running, and oooooh Stantis beating the drum for Vermin Supreme would make Prickly City interesting for the first time since he decided to speak out against waterboarding in like...2004.

Is Vermin Supreme a libertarian? He doesn't seem embarrassing enough.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

D.N. Nation posted:

Delonas had a breadown after Obama was re-elected in '12 so he went on hiatus for a few years (?)...but not before giving us this one last political cartoon, which might be my favorite ever:

Looks like Dees briefly possessed his brain.

Trogdos!
Jul 11, 2009

A DRAGON POKEMAN
well technically a water/flying type

Garrison posted:

TRUMP IS NOT OBAMA

“Perhaps it would have been a better idea to send him (Soleimani) $1.7 billion in unmarked bills, in pallets on planes in the dead of night, so he could kill more Americans?” Ted Cruz rips the Obama Administration

Let’s not forget how Iran was enriched after billions in sanctions were removed, thanks to Obama’s Iran nuclear deal. Let’s not forget Obama’s outrageous ransom payment to that theocratic nation.

Four American hostages were released after Obama delivered $1.7 billion in untraceable cash on pallets. Let’s not forget that he allowed Iran to make currency exchanges for dollars, thus allowing them access to west’s financial system and billions of dollars more. Was any of this money funneled into Iran’s proxy wars of terror? Of course it was.

Obama’s weakness, stupidity, and fawning generosity only encouraged and emboldened Iran to advance their interests in the Middle East by means funding forces such as Hezbollah and the Houthi rebels in Yemen. They also assigned their own Quds Force, which is part of the Iranian Revolutionary Guard, to engage in nefarious activities outside their own border. According to Wikipedia, the Quds Force reports directly to the Supreme Leader of Iran, Ayatollah Khamenei. General Soleimani, who was obliterated by Trump’s missile attack, had led the Quds force. The general was responsible for hundreds of American deaths over the past two decades. Now Khamenei wants revenge.

This sort of revenge stuff has been going on in the Middle East for eons, which is one of the main reasons the United States shouldn’t be over there to begin with. The conflicts in that region are never-ending, not solvable, and not in our interest. Trump was right when he talked about the Middle East being nothing but ’sand and death.’

Regardless, Obama’s actions helped finance Iran’s terrorist activities, which led to the deaths of more Americans in the Middle East.

Let’s not forget that.

—Ben Garrison

wizzardstaff
Apr 6, 2018

Zorch! Splat! Pow!

wizzardstaff posted:

"This war wouldn't be necessary if Obama hadn't personally delivered $1.7 billion in unmarked bills to Iran. The Deep State is forcing Trump's hand--his strong, muscular, paternal hand."

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

Oh god this sudden 180 is giving me serious 1984 flashbacks.

Zanzibar Ham
Mar 17, 2009

You giving me the cold shoulder? How cruel.

Grimey Drawer

This is a lot different than Grrr's usual artstyle, isn't it? It looks a lot more... mechanical? I'm not sure how to say it.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Zanzibar Ham posted:

This is a lot different than Grrr's usual artstyle, isn't it? It looks a lot more... mechanical? I'm not sure how to say it.

Yeah this looks like it was put together in photoshop using public domain clipart. Which makes me think it was rushed out before the narrative changes again

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Welcome friends, to a distant time back in...

We're going to start with a look at the fallen. The primary candidates whose star burned out back in 2011, but they were hilarious enough to merit discussion before we jump into 2012 itself. So get comfy, and let's begin:

Cain 1
Here it is: the flash in the pizza pan campaign of Herman Cain. It's time.

Cain 2
Cain was rising in popularity, and he did have the poll numbers to back it up. Did the GOP have its Obama?

Cain 3
Cain's experience was that he owned a pizza chain. Other business experience too, but everyone focused on pizza chains. Lots of goddamn pizza cartoons I'm sparing you from.

Cain 4
Just a reminder that Gorrell was somehow lazier in 2011. Yeesh

Cain 5

Cain 6
Okay, enough messing around. Cain's shtick was his 9-9-9 plan, which was a 9% rate for Sales, Income, and Corporate Tax. If you are familiar with the Fair Tax, 9-9-9 was another GOP plan to massively slash taxes for the rich under the disguise of a It's So Simple and Easy tax plan to try and rope in the lower classes who'd be footing the bill.

Cain :stonk:
You knew this was coming. One reason they loved Cain is because they can show how Democrats are the REAL racists. This McCoy Lesser cartoon was released when news first hit about women coming forward to accuse Cain of a slew of sexual crimes.

Cain 7
Surprisingly, cartoonists who had been kissing his rear end didn't take too long to turn.

Cain 8
:pants:

Cain 9-9-9
Around late November, Cain would "reassess his campaign" and pretty much gently caress off. Cain gets the most coverage here because things went so fast from adoration to Memory Hole. He's also a new face in a primary that was mostly microwaved leftovers from 2008. But don't worry, Trump gave him a seat on the Federal Reserve back in early 2019 :suicide:

Christie 1
Chris Christie was a rising star in the GOP, but we'll discuss his downfall and eventual future as a 2016 Vine joke later.

Christie 2
Yes, I am posting this because I had to endure 500 Occupy Wall Street cartoons and am left with a need to inflict suffering.

Rick 1
Rick Perry's brief primary run was a hilarious comedy of errors. First, he released this...thing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxzONeK1OwQ

Rick 2
Then he had an absolutely embarrassing debate performance. It's 2011 now, so Youtube has better preserved these moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YN8uFJz9gTk

Rick 3
Seriously, so loving lazy.

Rudy & Fred
These jokers got more buzz in the previous election, although I think Muir was super horny for Fred even in 2011. It's worth noting that even in 2011, Rudy's reputation was fading, and it would have been wise for him to just coast on the Brave Mayor feel-good vibes the public had for him after 9/11. But I guess scumbags have a natural instinct for the gutter.

Mitch
Mitch Daniels was...really popular among some conservatives? I dunno, he never even registered on my radar back then, but he's a former governor of Indiana and I guess pissed off conservatives by wanting to take the focus away from social issues so they can knuckle down on what really matters: making the rich even richer. In May 2011 he declined to run after much speculation.

Palin
Palin flirted with running for a period, but eventually she nixed it to almost nobody's interest. At this point her political resume included a failed vice presidency campaign, abandoning a governorship halfway into the term for no discernible reason, and...a short-lived reality TV series? Yeah, she knew the real money wasn't in politics; not when you can just blather on Fox for 15 minutes for easy checks.

Trump 1
I guess I can't avoid bringing this up. Yes, Trump tried throwing his hat in the ring back in 2012. What a joke!

Trump 2
His mulling over running was seen as a vanity campaign. Good thing the GOP is full of vain creatures.

Trump 3
If Trump's campaign had any substance, if we assume literally anything counts as "substance", then it was his revival of the birther phenomenon. But the conspiracy had lost mainstream appeal among conservatives, and it didn't help that Obama released the goddamn long form birth certificate within a WEEK of Osama bin Laden's death. So yes Virginia, there was a period in time when Trump was seen as a clown by most of the country. And yes, there were 50 "hurr where's the death certificate" cartoons.

Trump 4
I...don't remember this, but I guess at one point Trump was going to moderate a primary debate in December. That, however, would require effort and focus on people who are not Trump, so he dipped.

Trump 5
It was tempting to do a “What a difference eight years make.” montage showing these cartoonists dismissing Trump as a grifter, and then present their cartoons today as they burn what scraps of dignity they have left to defend his crimes.

Trump 6
Branco, however, never had dignity so this parses.

Trump 7
So farewell to thee, Trump. You'll come back in four years, and next time you'll make sure to bring hip and cool racism.

That’s it for 2011. Some people like Bachmann also tried and failed, but this post is already massive. I wanted to start the feature with a bang, however, so I hope you enjoyed this chunky post.

Next Week: Everyone Hates Romney! Rick Santorum forces me to discuss Dan Savage. Do you remember when Iran got nukes in 2011? Hollering about Merrick Garland a lot. And a New England Patriot worse than Tom Brady.

Yes, I know he was with the Broncos during that season, shut up.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

I dont know how but you managed to punch me in the face with pictures.

I'm missing teeth now.

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...
Man I had forgotten that Rick Perry was once the Great White Hope of the Republican party and that Trump had been laughed out of the 2012 Primary

Doesn't even mention that Trump did a Thing and just reheats some old Obama Iran Nuclear Deal hate. :nallears:

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

The 2012 Republican primaries were great. It was a parade of idiots, each being the next THIS IS THE GUY followed quickly by their downfall as Republicans went through candidate after candidate searching for the not-Romney before they all settled finally on Romney.

Crunch Buttsteak
Feb 26, 2007

You think reality is a circle of salt around my brain keeping witches out?

Jagged Jim posted:

Doesn't even mention that Trump did a Thing and just reheats some old Obama Iran Nuclear Deal hate. :nallears:

It's honestly like how news outlets write about police shootings. Trump can never be at fault for anything, so don't even mention him when he does something bad. Just focus on all the details surrounding the bad thing without ever once mentioning his involvement.

I mean, it's also Garrison, so those details are mostly horseshit, but still.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa

Jagged Jim posted:

Who's Trump? Anyway I wish President Obama hadn't started another war in the Middle East!

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

uh this isnt garrison's art style at all??

Cloud Potato
Jan 9, 2011

"I'm... happy!"
:britain:

Guardian:

"Martin Rowson on Trump, Iran and the climate crisis – Iran has vowed to take revenge for a US drone strike that killed its most powerful general"

Telegraph:

Independent:

After Monet.

The i paper:

Times:

100YrsofAttitude
Apr 29, 2013

The only one of those Britoons that isn't a fine example of the craft is maybe the Rowson, but the others really are just solid pieces, and even that one is actually well-drawn.

Do no Yankees come close to that level of talent? We're just cursed with hacks, geeze.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Johnny Walker posted:

The 2012 Republican primaries were great. It was a parade of idiots, each being the next THIS IS THE GUY followed quickly by their downfall as Republicans went through candidate after candidate searching for the not-Romney before they all settled finally on Romney.
As we'll see, Mitt won the primary in part because :newt: was too stubborn to drop out, going very broke keeping his flagging campaign alive, and stealing votes from other hard-right candidates.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Trump descended the golden escalator didn't he? Are these cartoonists so bad they can't put together descended escalator and way is hell?

Lagomorphic
Apr 21, 2008

AKA: Orthonormal

HootTheOwl posted:

Trump descended the golden escalator didn't he? Are these cartoonists so bad they can't put together descended escalator and way is hell?

He is escalating the conflict. It is a perfectly cromulant metaphor.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

KennyMan666 posted:

Debt is stored in the balls.

I really, really appreciated this. Thank you.

Wipfmetz
Oct 12, 2007

Sitzen ein oder mehrere Wipfe in einer Lore, so kann man sie ueber den Rand der Lore hinausschauen sehen.
... Trump is on the _left_ escalator?

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Wipfmetz posted:

... Trump is on the _left_ escalator?

"stand on the right" means "stand on the right-hand-side of the escalator you're on"

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

It's weird because Brits drive in the wrong side of the road, so normally in Britain, it would be "stand left". The sign and Trump are right-way-drive, but the relative position of the up and down escalators is still wrong-way-drive.

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

It's weird because Brits drive in the wrong side of the road, so normally in Britain, it would be "stand left". The sign and Trump are right-way-drive, but the relative position of the up and down escalators is still wrong-way-drive.

You still stand on the right on the escalators in the Underground. The left side is for people moving faster.

Eulogistics
Aug 30, 2012

Cat Puke posted:

looks like North Dakota State is living rent free in Duke Dogs head.

Why is Duke dog wearing a JMU crown? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm actually confused.

Katt
Nov 14, 2017

I think Brits still employ their cartoonists while the Americans are all freelance at like 50 bucks a comic regardless of quality. Either that or wholly self published.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Tenebrais posted:

You still stand on the right on the escalators in the Underground. The left side is for people moving faster.

You people are doing it wrong, even within your own system if wrongness. It shouldn't surprise me I guess. Why would you not use the same system as cars for escalators? Like, slow/stand on the outside (that would be left for Brits) and fast/walk/run on the inside (your right).

Yes, I care a lot about keeping right (or left in the Commonwealth).

Apple Pie Hubbub
Feb 14, 2012

Take that, you greedy jerk!

Flip Yr Wig
Feb 21, 2007

Oh please do go on
Fun Shoe

Zanzibar Ham posted:

I think they're vector graphics, for some reason.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

God Herman Cain and Chris Christie really were believed to be legitimate contenders at one point, it's loving insane.

Wasn't Space Admiral Bachmann around in 2012 too?

Jagged Jim
Sep 26, 2013

I... I can only look though the window...

Khamenei has no idea why Trump just dumped a bunch of tomato sauce on his side of the board and wrote "Soleimani" on it with his finger.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

sorry i’m a little loopy from driving for 7 hours was garrison’s take “the order to bomb iran was the fault of the guy who left office 4 years ago”

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal

Jerusalem posted:

God Herman Cain and Chris Christie really were believed to be legitimate contenders at one point, it's loving insane.

She was but she never majorly broke high in the polls and was basically the Beto of the group.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

trump has disemboweled himself on the chessboard

Tenebrais
Sep 2, 2011

BonHair posted:

You people are doing it wrong, even within your own system if wrongness. It shouldn't surprise me I guess. Why would you not use the same system as cars for escalators? Like, slow/stand on the outside (that would be left for Brits) and fast/walk/run on the inside (your right).

Yes, I care a lot about keeping right (or left in the Commonwealth).

You can't drive cars on the escalators.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Cowcaster posted:

sorry i’m a little loopy from driving for 7 hours was garrison’s take “the order to bomb iran was the fault of the guy who left office 4 years ago”

The party line is this is Obama's fault because of pallets of cash

Cat Puke
Apr 15, 2017

Eulogistics posted:

Why is Duke dog wearing a JMU crown? This isn't a rhetorical question, I'm actually confused.

I assume the Extended JRROSE! Universe fleshes out the "keep what you kill" principle of Duke Dogs people.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Ben Garrison, 12/31/19: "AMERICA BEING IN DEBT IS BAD"

Ben Garrison, 1/4/20: "AMERICA PAYING ITS DEBTS IS BAD"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jurgan
May 8, 2007

Just pour it directly into your gaping mouth-hole you decadent slut

Jerusalem posted:

Only reason Christie isn’t still taken seriously is the Bridgegate scandal. He would have had a real chance in 2016 otherwise.