Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Keromaru5
Dec 28, 2012

Pictured: The Wolf Of Gubbio (probably)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Rhyno posted:

Psylocke/Kwannon's history has gotten even more complicated. Like that's Kwannon, back in her own body but she has powers and is using the Psylocke name, right?

Yep. Betsy is Captain Britain now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Open Marriage Night
Sep 18, 2009

"Do you want to talk to a spider, Peter?"

They’re both in their original bodies at least.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Fraction brought back Betsy's original body at one point as well, years after Kwannon had died.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

goatface posted:

Looks like parts poorly c&p'd together

Almost certainly, in panel 1. The woman's torso is in proportion to the head but it's incomplete, and the legs come from an entirely different drawing. And the guy would be smacking his head off the ceiling if he stood up straight (which is possible, but may not be intentional).

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

Even ignoring the giant head Laura's body proportions are bizarre.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Fallen Angels is a badly written book with even worse art. It's a shame. A book focused on Psylocke trying to reclaim her life and identity should've been way better.

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
Yeah, it's really dire. I almost admire how despite having a much smaller, tighter cast than most of the other books, it has simultaneously had less happen and had less interesting stuff to say about its characters. It feels tonally like an extension of Rosenberg's run rather than the ostensible fresh start of everything else (except, I guess, X-Force, which is at least kind of bombastic and has some fun character beats).

It's such a shame because I feel like there's never been a better time for a straight-up sequel to the original Fallen Angels! What's the Vanisher up to? How do Ariel's portals interact with Krakoa? I'm sure there's some juice in having Chance mixed in with the egg crew, and the time is ripe for a Bill and Don revival. If everything's on the table why not just lean into the weirdness and richness of the franchise's most eclectic projects instead of doing yet another washed out, dreary nothing story about dour people doing revenge tragedies at each other in the rain?

How Wonderful! fucked around with this message at 08:45 on Dec 1, 2019

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Rhyno posted:

Fraction brought back Betsy's original body at one point as well, years after Kwannon had died.

Does she have purple hair? :pray:

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

So DC pulled this image, because China complained that it alluded to the Hong Kong Protestors and it needed to be removed less it hurt their delicate hypocritical sensibilities, and now thanks to the Streisand Effect you all get to see it; cause China can really just go gently caress itself.

It's a lovely bit of pop art, and probably going to be more famous than it was had China not complained.

Artists twitter
https://twitter.com/Rafael_Grampa/status/1199833737699188737

Maybe companies need to start loving growing a pair.

Internet Wizard
Aug 9, 2009

BANDAIDS DON'T FIX BULLET HOLES

Infinitum posted:

Maybe companies need to start loving growing a pair.

Lol why would a company ever do something to reduce their profits? The only time a company ever takes a stand is for free outrage advertisement.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.

Fallen Angels #3.

Scaramouche
Mar 26, 2001

SPACE FACE! SPACE FACE!

Wow nice callout to the end of Brazil

Senior Woodchuck
Aug 29, 2006

When you're lost out there and you're all alone, a light is waiting to carry you home
Why is Psylocke a porcelain doll now?

wiegieman
Apr 22, 2010

Royalty is a continuous cutting motion

Jesus, what editor signed off on that?

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

wiegieman posted:

Jesus, what editor signed off on that?

Jordan D. White is the editor for all the X-books as far as I can tell, although each title has a different assistant editor. I really have no idea what's up with Fallen Angels. I'm definitely not enjoying all of the new titles equally and I'll cop to having clear favorites, but FA just feels conspicuously shoddy and out of step with the line-wide reorientation.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Not as bad as the Fallen Angels panels, but the longer I look at this, the more details stand out as being off.

Batman: Shadow of the Bat #90 (1999)
Paul Gulacy on pencils, Sandy Emberlin on inks.

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:
Did the colorist color over his eyes?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Paul Gulacy draws incredible lips.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
That's some nice Kilmer/Keaton face there.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
What keeps me coming back is trying to figure out the angle of that swing, for his arms to end up that close behind Batman.

Gann Jerrod
Sep 9, 2005

A gun isn't a gun unless it shoots Magic.
Here’s some anniversary bad comic art
https://twitter.com/tfwiki/status/1213499243576594433?s=21

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH

Darthemed posted:

Not as bad as the Fallen Angels panels, but the longer I look at this, the more details stand out as being off.

Batman: Shadow of the Bat #90 (1999)
Paul Gulacy on pencils, Sandy Emberlin on inks.

While I wouldn't put it past some writers, unless that cowl is 3D-Printed around Bruce's head and has zero mobility he should still be KOed. And even then, he should be pushed sideways a bit and torn up by splinters around the bare jaw.

Unless it's Supes in disguise again, or something?

cant cook creole bream
Aug 15, 2011
I think Fahrenheit is better for weather

Elfface posted:

While I wouldn't put it past some writers, unless that cowl is 3D-Printed around Bruce's head and has zero mobility he should still be KOed. And even then, he should be pushed sideways a bit and torn up by splinters around the bare jaw.

It looks like he is getting hit in the back of the neck. At least I wouldn't try to hit someone with a bat in the chin when I am standing behind them. The art looks really of with regards to the dynamic though.
Getting a club to the back of the neck or head and standing perfectly still is weird either way.

Maybe the wood was just really rotten.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Elfface posted:

Comic book fabrics can do things regular ones can't.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
Batman no-sells the heels all the time. It’s what he and Hulk Hogan have the most in common.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Not sure what it is about Tom DeFalco following legendary runs on titles but he followed Roger Stern on Amazing Spider-Man and Walt Simonson on Thor. And with him was Ron Frenz both times. I've always liked Frenz from his work on Spidey and he seems pretty underrated. When following Simonson (well, Buscema really) on Thor his style is admittedly more of the conventional house style but I'm quicky becoming a big fan of his work. Here he shows us a Celestial judging a planet (yes, this ancient cosmic being is giving a thumbs down) and then an even bigger Celestial at the end.

Also, later in the Eric Masterson days I'm pretty sure it is Frenz who does that Galactic Storm battle between Thor and Gladiator that absolutely rocks.

Thor 387

Lobok fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Jan 4, 2020

Jonny Nox
Apr 26, 2008

Lurdiak posted:

Comic book fabrics can do things regular ones can't.

What's the DC version of unstable molecules?

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Jonny Nox posted:

What's the DC version of unstable molecules?

Superman's baby blanket.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

I'm sure Wayne Enterprises, Lexcorp, Kord Industries, and whatever poo poo Mr. Terrific is running these days has an industry on it.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Elfface posted:

Wasn't it Larry Hama who had Batman get shot in the head from close range and the bullet bounce off his cowl?

usenet celeb 1992
Jun 1, 2000

he thought quoting borges would make him popular

Lobok posted:

Not sure what it is about Tom DeFalco following legendary runs on titles but he followed Roger Stern on Amazing Spider-Man and Walt Simonson on Thor. And with him was Ron Frenz both times. I've always liked Frenz from his work on Spidey and he seems pretty underrated. When following Simonson (well, Buscema really) on Thor his style is admittedly more of the conventional house style but I'm quicky becoming a big fan of his work. Here he shows us a Celestial judging a planet (yes, this ancient cosmic being is giving a thumbs down) and then an even bigger Celestial at the end.

Also, later in the Eric Masterson days I'm pretty sure it is Frenz who does that Galactic Storm battle between Thor and Gladiator that absolutely rocks.

Thor 387

Thanks for this. The cliffhanger panel of #387, which shows more starkly the contrast in size between the two Celestials, just blew my mind as a kid. I had missed out completely on the Simonson run and only came back to it much later in life, but at the time 387 really expanded my horizons in terms of the fun OTT poo poo that comics could pull and directly sparked my interest in Kirby.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

I actually edited my post because I originally had that cliffhanger panel you mention (the big guy's foot is the size of a couple mountains) but I figured I'd spread the love across two issues because the panel from 388 has way more colour and different effects, like the lightning and Kirby Krackle.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Ron Frenz rules. His Kirby influence is strong but he still does his own thing. His Superman run is great, he was doing a heavy Weisinger influenced Superman but much of it had the mullet so that stunk a bit. Dude just draws powerful, barrel-chested dues really well. I love this piece and wish I could get a really nice print of Frenz's Superman

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.
I'd never heard of Julian Totino Tedesco before but I love Daredevil and stumbled across this article that features some really striking covers

https://aux.avclub.com/matt-murdock-takes-control-of-his-tail-spinning-life-in-1840780392

One is the banner but scroll down about half way and there's a slideshow of 4 really good ones.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Random Stranger posted:

Superman's baby blanket.
Or superman's Bioelectric aura poo poo that bends physics to his will.

DarkCrawler
Apr 6, 2009

by vyelkin
Celestials are like the sole cosmic comic book figure that still elicits awe in me, largely through classic Thor stories. Every time they show up things get weiiirddd. Though I am sure some writer somewhere messed them up shus now

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

DarkCrawler posted:

messed them up shus now

Speaking of messed up...

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

DarkCrawler posted:

Though I am sure some writer somewhere messed them up shus now

Arishem The Judge telling Aaron "Machine Man X-51" Stack that he sucks and is a loser.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
hes not wrong

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Those are the best Celestials.