Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Nice. :golfclap:

I added what I think is more Ed-like demeanor.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

Why doesn't Helen have any beverage? Not even water.

Edit: Oh she did in the original and I'm missing a joke.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

how many times has religion come up in this strip before

Vargo
Dec 27, 2008

'Cuz it's KILLIN' ME!
BCN

Phoebe

Wallace

Curtis

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

Zereth posted:

I can't remember any.

Angular Cyrus
May 29, 2007

everything is so much harder than it looks
King Aroo 8/15/53

They'll Do It Every Time 7/22/46

Mopsy 7/31/42

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

Wallace, Spud, no

:ohdear:

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Sally Forth

Peanuts (January 6, 1973)

Funky Winkerbean

Crankshaft

9 Chickweed Lane

Rip Haywire

Thimble Theater (August 5, 1936)

Out Our Way (November 30-December 2, 1933)

Toonerville Folks (June 13-15, 1916)

Welcome back to another season of The Dorg Scoreborg!

OOW 2-1 TF (The cartoon that gave the name to the Boyzendorgs League pulls it off in the first collision of the year, with extra acclaim from the referees for creative use of backfield motion in the first panel.)

Dok's "Barnum Was Right" Duck (January 7, 1913)

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Zereth posted:

Almost assuredly none, or maybe in the context of Ed saying “the only time I pray is before the judge” but that is an actual joke so it couldn’t possibly exist in Dustin.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

After considering thread input Cheer Up Boss Dharma will now be presented without tags. Feel free to complain if this annoys you more than you were expecting.

In common spoken Korean "yes" and "huh" are the same word.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

oh my god its so long

it's cool though, now i'll be less likely to skip it

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Johnny Walker posted:

Why doesn't Helen have any beverage? Not even water.

Edit: Oh she did in the original and I'm missing a joke.
She also has a suspicious stain on her dress :ssh:

i couldn't draw a tipped over wine glass adequately on this computer, I usually do my edits at work where I have better tools

Poil posted:

Nice. :golfclap:

I added what I think is more Ed-like demeanor.

fisting by many
Dec 25, 2009

Kennel posted:

Thanks for pointing out. That's really handy. No need to use extra scripts with gocomics any more.

Is it hard to save strips off gocomics or whatever? I could make a bookmarklet to grab the image file easily enough if it would help comics posters.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
2017 Spiderman

1978 Comics

Dick Tracy

Locher Tracy

Origins of the Sunday Comics

Footrot Flats

FrumpleOrz
Feb 12, 2014

Perhaps you have not been to the *Playground*.
The *Playground* is for Taalo and for Orz, but *Campers* can go.
It more fun than several.
You can go there for too much fun.
The Lockhorns

Brewster Rockit Space Guy

On The Fastrack

Safe Havens

Kevin & Kell

Mother Goose & Grimm

Hagar THe Horrible

Sherman's Lagoon

Frazz gently caress oofffffffffffffffff

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

duz posted:

Firefox has a screen capture tool built into it, just right click the page and select it to start.

I didn't know this and it's very useful. Thank you.

readingatwork
Jan 8, 2009

Hello Fatty!

Fun Shoe

FrumpleOrz posted:

Kevin & Kell

Wait... are they going to lick him to death!?

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Intet nytt fra hjemmefronten / Nothing New from the Homefront

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

Wait, does everyone know that all these appliances are intelligent? Is the whole proof of his "thesis" that they can't access the poo poo on his wifi without the password?

God I hate Holbrook.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

Evil Mastermind posted:

Wait, does everyone know that all these appliances are intelligent? Is the whole proof of his "thesis" that they can't access the poo poo on his wifi without the password?

God I hate Holbrook.

I think the implication is that each device has its own password.

Which you can't really do with IoT appliances because they lack the necessary components for password protection.

Medenmath
Jan 18, 2003
Prince Valiant

Comics Kingdom has switched to a vertical format for some reason.

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

FrumpleOrz posted:

Frazz gently caress oofffffffffffffffff

lol it gets to -50c/-58f in winnipeg winters, that's what they do it, you buffoon

riderchop
Aug 10, 2010

my comics updated and i'm up anyway so

Garfield

Heathcliff

wtf

Overboard

Monty

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

amigolupus posted:

The worst part is that I'm pretty sure their first or second date had them cosplaying as Star Trek officers and going to a con, so it's literally impossible for Gunther to not know that Bets is active in the cosplay scene.

My impression is that she's only just started and she already has fans because the Evanses only exposure to internet celebrities is when they suddenly show up on the Ellen show. So as far as the Evanses can tell, this completely unknown person just appeared out of nowhere with millions of subscribers and they assume that's just how it works. You start "streaming" (whatever that means) and then you're famous.

Strontium
Aug 28, 2009

Dexter didn't much care for the party.
Daddy Daze

Take It From the Tinkersons

Dark Side of the Horse

Fort Knox

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Strontium posted:

Take It From the Tinkersons

it clearly does not have paint stains or holes

Palette swap
Mar 29, 2010

"There is a professional misconduct hearing over here with your name on it"
Dilbert

In Security

Macanudo

Pros & Cons

Caught up this year.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

gently caress you. I do not want to read works by transphobes, bigots, and fuckers. gently caress off.

Pastry of the Year
Apr 12, 2013

Arlo and Janis

Tina's Groove Classic (June 12, 2008)

Arlo and Janis Classic (June 12, 1998)

Garfield Classic (June 12, 1988)

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

In today's Corto Maltese: Germany's campaign in WW1 is a fascinating tale of strategy and intrigue, with General Vorbeck being arguably one of the most successful on-field commanders in the entire affair, even though he knew he would always be fighting a losing battle. If you get a chance to read up about it, you should - it's one of the lesser known conflicts, up there with the Russian Civil war of the '20s or the Korean War in the 50's, or Corto is feeling his own mortality, or It's a shame Pratt didn't detail these masks as beautifully as in his earlier works.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

FrumpleOrz posted:

On The Fastrack

It's not a loving show and tell session or verbal exam, it's a loving master's thesis (even though Holbrook calls it a dissertation but you know, loving Holbrook).

For those not in academia (lucky you), a master's thesis is basically your first proper scientific publication*. It's not the academic version of Dragon's Den where you have to convince some loving "dissertation board" of your ability to secure IoT devices or program FPGA chips or whatever. It's a loving 20-100 page academic publication that explains the problem, explains the existing research on the topic to give it context, explains what you did, why you did it, what you think you accomplished by doing it, and what future avenues of research you identified in the process.

gently caress you Holbrook.

* not really because it's not peer reviewed, but your thesis supervisors kind of help you in writing a proper publication that COULD be peer reviewed and follows the guidelines and standards expected of academic works. It is supposed to demonstrate your ability and expertise in your chosen field, but more importantly your ability to conduct scientific research. A master's thesis isn't expected to have major scientific contributions, although of course it will have some original content. I wrote my master's thesis on applying traditional requirements engineering methods in game development and if someone really wants to read it I can send you a link to the PDF on my school's library page.

For content, Jäätävä Spede is Pertti Jarla's autobiographical comic strip that runs weekly alongside his Fingerpori. This time he discusses Finnish mentality.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Jan 5, 2020

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

That would be a solid way to tackle my backlog, hmm....

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

In Security is astonishingly bad on the eyes.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Green Intern posted:

In Security is astonishingly bad on the eyes.

In Security was the 'Horny Alexa thirsting for the author insert' strip that was posted for a bit last year, right?

Moomin and the Brigands

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
Uh, I had to defend my master's thesis before a committee. It's different at different programs.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Discendo Vox posted:

Uh, I had to defend my master's thesis before a committee. It's different at different programs.

But not in the Holbrook sense, I would imagine, because this is literally some show and tell science fair bullshit. "Dear disseration committee, I have secured my IoT fridge against cyber attacks, try to hack it or give master's degree please".

I know disseration defenses are a thing (and my thesis writing seminar included presentations and semi-public defenses as well), but to the best of my understanding they're mostly formality and tradition at this point, or part of the maturity test, to gauge how well you generally understand the topic. Even doctoral dissertation defenses are mostly tradition and theater at this point; your dissertation opponent or the Custos aren't going to fail you because they weren't wowed by your ability to secure your talking toaster or whatever the gently caress this bullshit is. The merits of your work have been evaluated already, and those merits are in the level of your scientific work.

E: I can't stop thinking about how and why this bothers me so much, so here I go again:

Holbrook's idea of a master's thesis seems to be that it's the equivalent of the final practical exam in some single course, where you have to hack a website or something, like he thinks the master's thesis for a Master of Archeology would be digging up a bone the committee buried in their backyard and if you can find it, you're a Master of Archeology. The point of a thesis defense isn't to prove you can dig a hole or install Apache2 on a web server because those things are academically meaningless; the point is for you to demonstrate you have a thorough understanding of your chosen field of science, the ability to conduct research in that field, and to place that research in the appropriate context. This isn't a degree from a vocational school or something.

Shaman Tank Spec fucked around with this message at 16:29 on Jan 5, 2020

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013

We don't need to have that dialogue because it's obvious, trivial, and has already been had a thousand times.
My thesis defense involved several hours of scrutiny. It was by no means theater - students in my department have failed the defense in the recent past. If my thesis had involved an external physical object as an example, it is indeed possible the committee would have examined it directly. Different departments do things differently. Holbrook's work is full of bullshit, but the basic idea of the defense procedure isn't a case of bullshit.

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 16:23 on Jan 5, 2020

EBB
Feb 15, 2005

I hate it.

Post more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

StrixNebulosa posted:

gently caress you. I do not want to read works by transphobes, bigots, and fuckers. gently caress off.

Have some good news then!

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Foob

Compu-Toon, wherein Boyce tries so hard and it comes across as. Dopey, but reasonable.

Bizarro

Foxtrot